• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS A Fun Team

Hi, I'm new here- but this team I really like, so I hope you guys like it:
Note - this is a fun team, so don't be too hard on it.

Arcanine:
Flare Blitz
Crunch
Extreme Speed
Thunder Fang

Vileplume:
Solar Beam
Sudge Bomb
Sleep Powder
Sunny Day

Marowak:
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Swords Dance
Sing

Gyrados:
Aqua Tail
Earthquake
Ice Fang (Don't hae an Avalanche TM...)
Dragon Dance

Espeon: (NEEDS HELP)
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Morning Sun
? (Right now I have Pysch Up... crappy)

Zangoose:
Close Combat
Crush Claw
Aerial Ace
Swords Dance

Well, that's them - sorry about no natures - Most of them are bad, and My game's not available right now.
So please help, and thanks for any in advance!
Luigi777

I'ts a good team you've got there...
You could give your espeon return instead of pysch up as it is quite strong when it has max friendship.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Espeon is a really difficult Pokemon to come up with a good moveset for. The problem is, it learns lots of physical moves, but has a crappy Attack stat compared to its Special Attack. You don't need to have both Psychic and Shadow Ball as Psychic will hit Ghost-types Super Effectively anyway, but that cuts down your moveset even more :-\.

It would be worth finding out what your Espeon's Hidden Power is. A good Hidden Power could help a lot.

Swift is a possibility too. Normal-type move with power 60 & never miss. You could even use Hyper Beam, though two turn moves aren't generally useful in competitive battling. As Espeon has less than wonderful defences, Hyper Beam might work to finish a battle. Or you could use it, knowing that your Espeon will likely be KOed on the next turn, but at least it got a powerful hit in before that?

Protect or Substitute (or even Captivate) might be a decent supporting move instead of Psych Up.

Sing on Marowak? I guess you have a different idea of "fun" than me - I can't stand moves that are that inaccurate ;). Personally I'd go for a third attack move instead, something like Aerial Ace for the sheer surreality of having a Ground-type Pokemon launch a Flying-type attack. Or, if your Marowak has Rock Head ability, Double-Edge for power 120 without any recoil damage. (This is less useful if your Marowak has Lightningrod ability).

I'd personally go for Waterfall over Aqua Tail on Gyarados because although it's lower power (120 instead of 135), 100% accuracy + 20% chance of flinch beats 90% accuracy + no added effect.

You don't need to have both Psychic and Shadow Ball as Psychic will hit Ghost-types Super Effectively anyway, but that cuts down your moveset even more :-\.
Psychic hits Ghost types for normal damage. Only hits super effectively the 1st gen ghosts because of their duality ghost/poison.

Espeon can use Trump Card quite well. Along with being a Calm Mind sweeper with Psychic, Shadow Ball, Grass Knot or HP Fire/Fighting/Ground works well. Fake Tears could work over Psych Up cause Espeon benefits from the S. Defense stat being lowered.

Hope that helped.

Carlos- Thanks for this - I've tried it, and it works ok...

Baratron- Thanks for all this thought into it! You've givin mre more than enough ideas for my Espeon - and thanks for the thought on the others too! I will test a lot of those out. I like sing though! it's really amusing to see peoples faces!

Zak - Exactly what I was thinking...

Plapti - More good options - thanks for all this.

Any more help?

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Psychic hits Ghost types for normal damage. Only hits super effectively the 1st gen ghosts because of their duality ghost/poison.

Oh, damnit! You're right, but I hate when I have things like that confused in my head :-\. Thanks.

[quote author:plapti link=topic=3262.msg42170#msg42170 date=1198701360]
Espeon can use Trump Card quite well. Along with being a Calm Mind sweeper with Psychic, Shadow Ball, Grass Knot or HP Fire/Fighting/Ground works well. Fake Tears could work over Psych Up cause Espeon benefits from the S. Defense stat being lowered.
[/quote]

Mmm, what? How does Espeon benefit from a lowered Special Defense stat? :o

Just a little suggestion, you could give your Vileplume a Power Herb so that it doesn't have to charge up solarbeam. Then you can replace Sunny Day with Toxic for walls or Swagger/Sub/Double Team/Captivate for help with sweeping. Maybe even a Ice type HP, to help take down flying pokes.

I'm gonna try all the Espeon suggestions some time - We'll see...

Dylan - the Beauty of Sunny Day is not just for Solar Beam - It's for Choloform (sp?). This way, it's speed doubles too! I should find out what it's HP is though... thanks for this suggestion though. Where do you get a Power Herb?

It'd be Chlorophyll :p. And the Power Herb can be bought at the Battle Tower Exchange for 32 BP. HP Rock would work nicely as well.

Hope that helped.

Psychic is completely superoir to Psybeam. 90 Base power compared to 60 without STAB. Psychic over Psybeam all the way.

Just by chance, is your Marowak from Pokemon XD, Gale of Darkness?

Hope that helped.

Plapti - Thanks for the help, and yes, she is. My friend traded to to me from there.

Flame Haji - It's true, but thanks for any suggestion anyway.
I like Fire pkmn too!