• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask the Staff

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I know I'm not a staff, but I can say that this isn't gravedigging; the topic is stickied for a reason, and I think you can ask any question any time. Also, the java chat isn't working for anyone. You're not banned from the chat; it's just not working for anyone that relies on the java chat (and for those who don't know what the java chat is, it's the chat that anyone can use that's available by clicking on the tab up there that says "chat". Or rather, anyone can use it if it was working...)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Haven't gotten around to reinstalling it yet - but if you can work your way around an IRC client, you can find always us on the server irc.pocketmonsters.net and in the channel #pokecharms.

As for 'gravedigging', topics of this nature are intended for people to post in them no matter how long ago the last post was. Overall, we don't really have anything against anyone bumping any topic, no matter how old, so long as the post is relevant, on topic and worthy of bumping the topic for - or so long as there isn't a more recent topic the post would apply to. You would only ever be cautioned for bumping a topic if it was ridiculously old and therefore completely irrelevant or if your post was SPAM.

Thanks very much, but what is an IRC client and what is a server or a channel? I tried looking it up but I really couldn't understand much, or how to get around one and whatnot so if anyone could simplify that for me, I'd be grateful.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
An IRC client is the program that you install onto your computer, in order to access IRC (Internet Relay Chat, for the interested) - sort of like how you'd install a web browser to access the internet. A good IRC client to try is X-Chat, which is the one I use, or mIRC.

Servers and channels are often a little hard to explain, but think of it like this: Each IRC server is like a building - you get teeny little apartments, massive high-rise buildings, any size or shape, but they're all essentially separated from each other. (sometimes they're linked, but that's overcomplicating things) Inside any building, you get a set of rooms, or, in IRC terms, channels. This is where the actual conversation goes on - you can't just be in a building, you have to be in a specific room. You connect to a server first, then join a channel. Our server - or building - is irc.pocketmonsters.net, and our channel - our room - is #pokecharms - with the # on the front.

Hope that makes a little more sense. Let me know if you need help setting up the IRC client :)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I may upload a pre-set version of mIRC at some point for those who don't know what they're doing but would like to connect outside of the Java. You'd be on your own with turning off the nag-screen at the start though...

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
On a completely related note, is anyone else having trouble connecting to the IRC server? I can never even get connected - and it's been trying constantly since I lagged out last night.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Problem solved - I connected to saphira.systemnet.info instead of irc.systemnet.info or irc.pocketmonsters.net.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
[quote author=Sara Leigh H. link=action=profile;u=18588 date=1236803539]
I wanted to know something if you do not mind answering.
[/quote]

This was a PM I received, but I figure I may as well answer these publicly:

I have yet to find an "About" page that is specifically the site itself. I have seen a few articles about PokeCharms but none of them gave me any details I was looking for- Correction: There was one, but they only had the first two sentences of what appeared to be an About page. It was a dead link unfortunately.

After a bunch of attempts to keep an up-to-date about page on the site, when I restructured a year or so ago to clean up the site into fewer, very distinct sections, I dropped it entirely. We DO however have a full page on the Bulbapedia (which we have supported from its creation) that pretty much does the same job - and even better, allows others to update it when necessary.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokecharms

Is "Web Page Design" a college major for you or a well thought out hobby?

Both. I've been doing web design since I was about 12/13, which is pretty much 10 years. And through all of that, it's been self-taught. However, I'm currently doing a New Media design course at University that focuses a lot more on the design aspect than the technical aspect, which is rounding out my abilities and skills a lot more and will hopefully give me a career in Web Design properly in a couple of years.

Is this what you hoped for for PokeCharms? Would you ever of dreamed it being this large when you first registered August 14th, 2004 (Source: Alexa.com)?

At its earliest, Pokecharms dates all the way back to 2001, around the time of Pokemon Crystal's release. That is when I made this original incarnation of the site. It's really bad and n00bish - but 8/9 years ago the web was an utterly different place, and amazingly, this quality wouldn't have been that uncommon to see... The forums were pretty much born out of the friends I had made on my own first forum experience at Pokeschool and - albeit with a LOT of twists and turns along the way - eventually ended up with something resembling what you see today.

As for its success - I always wanted Pokecharms to be a good website to visit, and to have a nice vibrant community like the one I had enjoyed on Pokeschool, but as I used to say, I would continue to work on Pokecharms even if there was only one other person to see it.

Are you satisfied with PokeCharms with how it is now?

Nope. Never have been, never will be. I will continue working to add the newest and best features to the website and continue working to grow and improve the community here and I will never be satisfied. The work is never done, and nor should it ever be.

What inspired you to actually publish PokeCharms onto the Internet? What/Who helped make that decision?

Even years before I ever had one, I was fascinated by computers. I've always been a bit of a techy - it probably grew out of getting a Master System for Christmas when I was 5 and loving the hell out of it - and computers just seemed like the pinnacle of what I could get my hands on. And as soon as I did, the internet started booming onto the mainstream scene - so, obviously, I was instantly fascinated by that too. There was a bit of a gap between us getting a PC and us getting it online, but as soon as we finally did, I became heavily interested in building my OWN websites (I'm a very 'monkey-see, monkey-do' kinda person, and LOVE to try my hand at new things like that), got my hands on an HTML editor and learned me some HTML.

Publishing what I made was a bit harder - back in those days, free hosts were not as plentiful or generous as they are these days and it was a veritable mine-field to navigate. But it wouldn't deter me from trying. I wasn't THAT interested in getting loads of people to come and visit the site/s, I just wanted to do them and see them online for my own satisfaction.

That was the beginning anyway. When it came to bringing Pokecharms itself back a few years later, around the release of Pokemon Colosseum, it had been solely out of the choice to give me and my friends a place to upload their fan images, or fan fictions, etc and have a space online for them. The site then evolved further to be more like you see it now, but that emphasis on friendship and community is still at the heart of the site today and is a major part of what makes the place unique.

How many hours would you say you have "put in" into constructing PokeCharms? Maintaining it?

Way too many to begin counting - but when it comes to putting together new stuff like the TCM, it takes weeks upon weeks of on/off work that I have to fit in around my other commitments. Recently I've been working on the major upgrade to the Pokedex, and typically I could easily spend around 4/5 hours a day/night working on one single aspect of that massive project, for a couple of days a week. Similarly, with the major projects I have lined up for this Summer, I anticipate it will take even longer. As for updates to the TCM, just a normal Trainer/Background update can take about two hours to do all-together - and for an update like adding the Shiny Pokemon to it, that took two days of doing it for most of the day.

I don't have the time to spend all that time on the site constantly, so understandably, big projects take longer than they would if I could theoretically work on the site full time - but considering the stuff I do for Pokecharms is unique - and in most cases, utterly unavailable anywhere else on the Web - it's both worth the workload and for the visitors, I'd hope worth the wait.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Since Alex didn't post it in his reply, this is another url to an older version of Pokecharms. I was still going by the name Raichu then. Good times, good times... Cracks me up looking back at it now XD

Hi, I had been offline for a while, and when I went back online a few weeks ago I found the images in my sprite gallery deleted an admin. I tried to send messages to admins earlier, but I recieved no response. I was just wondering if I did anything wrong, and if I could start a new sprite gallery.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
If they were uploaded as attachments, they weren't carried across to the new server. You would have to upload them to photobucket or whatever.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hi, I had been offline for a while, and when I went back online a few weeks ago I found the images in my sprite gallery deleted an admin. I tried to send messages to admins earlier, but I recieved no response. I was just wondering if I did anything wrong, and if I could start a new sprite gallery.

When you say "admins", do you mean us all as a collective? Because I didn't receive a PM from you. If I had, it's very rare that I wouldn't respond to one, too, save being away at the moment ^^;

I sent a PM to Doctor Oak, and then when I didn't recieve any response for a week, I sent one to Pixeity since she is the art forum moderator. But I noticed just now that there were no messages in my outbox, so the messages probably didn't get sent for some reason.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I get loads of PMs and have very little time free, so I don't always reply to all of them (or really read all of them...). Really, I have to reccomend PMing one of the others most of the time as they do get a lot less than I do and thus have less crap to sift through for a genuine question. :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
They would unless we banned them within the chat. Even if there was some way to ban them via the java chat, they could still connect through their mIRC and other means.

Chances are if they were n00bed for certain reasons they'd quickly get themselves banned in the chat, too XD

How exactly do you get to the #pokecharms channel? I just got on the server, but I don't know how to find it(its my first time to use the server)

I think I might have gone to the wrong place, because I can't seem able to find it. I googled irc.pocketmonsters.net and clicked on the only thing that seemed related but I don't think I'm at the right place.

Is there a link for it?

I thank you for your help.

You'll need either mIRC or Chatzilla.

Once either one of the two are installed, find the spot to input a server name and put 'irc.pocketmonsters.net' as the server name. Once that is done, you shuld be able to select 'Join Channel' and type '#pokecharms' in and get into the Chat.

Thanks Jet! I would download mIRC or Chatzilla, but my mom said not to download anything D=

I'll just get on Chat as soon as I can, though

Okay... first of all I hope I'm not breaking any rules... But I'm having troubles with putting my sprites into the sprite forms/ signature, I think i know how to do it... is it that you type "" or is there something else? ???

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
I have a question for the staff:

What immediately attracts you to the member of your preferred gender?

Personally, for me, it's hair. If a person has good hair, then I'm likely to think they're quite attractive.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hrm... I tend to notice their smile and eyes first, but it's a bit of the whole package really.

but it's a bit of the whole package really.

eyebrowsmilie.gif

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Pretty much the same as Linkachu. A nice, sincere smile is always a lovely feature to have. Nice eyes are important too.

I do have a thing for black, spiky hair, but meh - you can't have everything XD

*giggles at TBA's post*

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, as far as I know you can lock your own topics. Look at the bottom-left of any thread you make. :)

Is the forum broken just for me?
And by that, I mean my avatar. I tried uploading a new one that I threw together, that has the HG and SS logos. On the "Change Profile" screen, it appears, but everywhere else, including my profile, it's my old one - the teamshot.

So is this just taking a while or....?

EDIT: It's working now