• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Your Pokemon Mistakes

Someone tried to do a topic like this but it was devoured when we went back in time.

Everyone had made some mistakes when it comes to anything Pokemon (games, anime misconceptions, etc). Maybe you were just starting out or you just lost your head. So post your funny, bad, or just painful Pokemon related mistakes mistakes here.

These are some mistakes I made when I was new to Pokmon games.
I tried to do the cloning glitch in Silver and ended up deleting my Venasaur. :o And yes I cried.

My moveset making skills have come a very long way. I came up with this gem of a moveset for my Espeon in Silver:
Confusion
Psybeam
Psychic
IRON TAIL

Yeah...

Heck why not: Here's the bad Sneasel moveset
Ice Punch
Blizzard
Faint Attack
Beat Up
This is the second generation so all of those moves are special so Sneasel had no business knowing them.

I also actually considered this moveset for Rhydon and worse yet I posted it on Pokeschool
Rhydon
Mild
Item: Mystic Water
Surf
Ice Beam
Two other special attacks Rhydon also has no business learning

Luckily it never got off the ground because someone on Pokeschool shot me down (though I did get a little defensive at first). With this one I just lost my head...

BTW:I didn't know exactly where to put this but I put it in Pokemon Chat because it isn't strictly Pokemon Games related.

My first mistake I believe was believing Rare Candy solves all your problems, of course back then when EVs were a simple matter, a lvl 99 Pokemon by Rare Candy was fine, but in the advent of the 3rd gen, more powerful Pokemon and an overhauled EV system, my poor little Gardevoir suffered from horrible stats (101 Attack, srsli.)

I've got a few mistakes...
1)Tried to exploit the Wi-Fi cloning glitch. Lost my Nintendo's Wi-Fi. Ugh.
2)Took a level 35 Sneasel to Sinnoh's Elite Four. Enough said.
3)Let my little sister (who is eight) train my Mudkip on Emerald.
Bad move. Here's how the moveset ended up:
Rock Smash
Strength
Surf
Muddy Water
4)Before I made my Wi-Fi crash and restarted my game, I offered Azelf on the GTS for a Carnivine. Let's see how they compare.
Azelf-Level 70
Carnivine-Level 10

The Carnivine had Thunder, Flamethrower, Egg Bomb, and Bounce as moves. I dislike hackers...

My first time through Blue version, I used a Master Ball on a Ditto. Didn't know that if there was more than one and I was wrong.

And of course, brought a level 16 Beldum with me through the Hoenn Elite Four. Lost to Steven thanks to it.

Something I tend to do is allow my team to balloon out beyond six members, forcing me to rotate them. This really slows down my training. I need to find a way to keep my team down at six, like not keeping a Pokemon I'm not terribly fond of just because it can use all HMs. Then again, I used to try to spread them out, which only made it harder to rotate Pokemon off the team.

I think my biggest early mistake was thinking that Type advantage overcomes everything. A level 15 Water type is not necessarily going to do very well against a level 30 Fire type.

"Flash, Metronome, Psychic, and Confusion. This is without a doubt the finest Alakazam moveset ever."

"Since Yellow version doesn't let Pikachu evolve, this one must be way stronger than normal Pikachus to compensate. YOU CAN TAKE ON THAT RHYDON PIKACHU. It worked on TV, so surely it shall work here."

"My Vaporeon should know Dig, to take care of electric-types. Nobody will ever see through my cunning strategy, and I can use more ground-type moves on my team since my Marowak only has three."

"What's this? Guard Swap switches the user's defense and special defense with that of the target? This cannot possibly fail! I must now create the frailest Xatu ever for sweet metagame action!"

Sadly, stupid mistakes are obviously something I have yet to outgrow.

[quote author=Yami_Angel link=topic=3474.msg43820#msg43820 date=1199844286]
Yeah, I've made just about every one of those mistakes, if not in my own way, at some point. Also, I have...

I accidently ruined my cousin's Pokemon Gold game. He wanted me to capture Lugia for him so of course that required going into the Whirl Islands. I ventured into the cave and wandered around a bit without flash and inevitable I got stuck. I assumed my cousin had the Flash HM in his bag and he DIDN'T. He didn't go to Sprout Tower it turned out. Here's where the stupidity starts: I saved the game while I was stuck in the cave. I don't know what I was thinking; I should have restarted as soon as I realized I was stuck. We never got out of that cave and he had to restart the entire game. I was so sorry. He had a high level Typhlosion and everything.

Oh well. You live and learn. And on the flip side I did find closure of sorts: when I completed my Hoenn Dex in Emerald I chose Cyndaquil instead of Totodile. He doesn't even care about Pokemon anymore but I still did it. I mean I'll eventually have Totodile when I eventually get WiFi.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Off hand, I remember the silly stone evolution-based blunders I made my first couple of plays through Pokemon Red. I was under the assumption that higher evolutionary stage always ='d better, so of course when I discovered that I could evolve my Nidorino RIGHT AWAY to Nidoking with a Moon Stone, I jumped at the chance...

Did the same thing with Growlithe to Arcanine xp

I gotta be honesete here.
I have made some pretty BIG mistakes when it come sto our pokemon buddies.
I mean a hyper beam on a Sceptile was pretty Grim, and trying to eveolve a magikarp with a water stone was also somewhat depressing, butt we learn from our mistakes and get better, I mean my Staraptor, with tackle, rockz! ;D

Lets see... my worst was fainting Moltrace and saving afterward..............
:(
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[attachment deleted by admin]

Great. I like these topics.

I have about 3 mistakes. Most of them were in my early ages of pkmn.

1. I released my level 89 Typhlosion, before the pokemon league in Crystal. However, it was my first time playing a Pokemon game. After realising what I had done, I shortly broke down and wept (For no apparent reason other than I thought I was going to have to restart after 85 hours of hard work.) However, instead I adopted a level 50 pidgeot, and trained it up to be strong enough. Strangely, It felt like the best pokemon I ever had.

2. Everyone knows "Missingno." in Pokemon Red and Blue, right? If you don't, just Go0ogle it. I caught a level 0 'M, and my Hall of fame messed up. Not only that, I put it in my PC box, and the game crashed. I basically started the game again after that.

3. I was playing my friend's Pkmn Ruby. I encountered a Shiny pkmn. My friend was watching, and I thought it was just a normal pkmn, so I ran. Didn't seem so bad to me, but I still got slapped by my friend.

Anime misconception #32

Note this is the first generation. I believed that ghost Pokemon had no weaknesses whatsoever especially not to psychics because of the anime. Now back then there were only Gastly, Haunter, and Gengar and no good ghost moves. What I didn't know what that they were weak to ground moves and gasp! psychic moves. I was slightly disappointed...

Two mistakes thanks to anime in the first gen:

1. I thought since the gym leaders were so strong, single type teams dominated! Surely my all fire team can beat Giovanni!

2. I liked my cute and cuddly pokemon so I refused to evolve them. Yeah, you can just imagine fighting the Elite Four with a level 73 Bulbasaur. Quite hilarious.

I have had some pretty horrible movesets in my day.

Charizard

Flamethrower
Blast Burn
Roar
Fly

Seriously.

Oh yeah, and this BRILLIANT Machamp.

Machamp

Cross Chop
Brick Break
Mega Punch (WTH?)
Metronome (Double WTH?)

Oh, and trying to raise a Zubat. Killing Articuno by accident with a critical hit Brick Break. >_> Catching Suicune and forgetting to save after turning the game off. Had to catch the darn thing all over again. It even had a horrible nature, Adamant.

some pretty good blunders here lol

mine:
1- Wasting a master ball on a vulpix in the early days (was getting irritated at the fact that he just wouldnt go in the darn normal ones)
2-Catching Missingno >>... didnt know what he was at the time.
3-Trading a shiny for a psyduck cuz I didnt notice the shiny was shiny lol ( I think it was a sentret)
4-Raising a magikarp farm just to see if any of them could do something more then splash or/and tackle

I've made loads of mistakes in my games, I tend to look back and laugh at them now.

- evolving my eevee to a flareon straight away in yellow version, expecting that it'd be like the anime and it'd instantly know tonnes of kickass fire moves
- Using a cheat cartridge that erased my blue game, dammit my persian on there was awesome!
- Killing a shiny venonat in the bug catching contest on silver
- Catching a box full of spinda in sapphire because I assumed when you had a certain amount something would happen.
- My umbreon and absol movesets on colloseum, needless to say Bite and Faint attack were present on both. Still beat the final boss with them though, thank moose for his psychic types.
- Oh and my most recent one, watering and harvesting 160 bluk berries, then turning off without saving. It was highly frustrating to say the least. Purely accidental of course, but still.

I'm sure I've got hundreds more, but for the moose of me I can't think of many right now, I may add more later however.

Anime misconception #5

I though that you could see all the data, description and all, on a Pokemon's Pokedex entry without capturing it as with the anime. Once again I was disappointed...

I also taught Thunderbolt to my Nidorino.

Funny quotes from mislead noobs:

"Its not hacking if you use an AR. Its hacking if you use something like an Action Replay."

"Starly is the only pokemon that can learn Defog."

And now, prepare for epic grammar failures:

Me: "I wish I could get Deoxys in game."

Noob: "LOLROFLMAOOMG yOu CaN jUsT gO tO tEh SpAcE cEnTr On MoZzdEeP aDn fLy to Teh MoOn!!!?!?!?!!11!"

I can't remember any mistakes from Kanto-Hoenn. But the only mistake in Diamond so far, is me releasing a Pokemon that was holding Exp. Share.. T_T The E-share would really be handy at the moment. :'(

Biggest mistake of my life in a pokemon game:

Accidentally killing Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza....... and then saving afterward. It was one of my best games.................... :'(

I've remembered another really stupid thing I did.

I was using the cloning cheat in silver, and I deleted my eevee and togetic. Such a smart move wouldn't you agree. Im so glad you could buy eevee's in the game corner, or i'd have been screwed.

Not really a mistake IN the game, but when I first got Pokemon Blue, I let my younger sister play it. I was in Fuschia City and training to beat Koga, so I meant to tell her not to save over my file, but I forgot. Let's just say that this ended in tears...

My pokemon mistakes are this:

-When I first got my Diamond game, I did not go and check online to see the best nature for Empoleon. Instead, I saved after I defeated the starly in the beggining, and I got stuck with a male lax piplup. I didn't understand natures until after I defeated the Elite Four. What a pity. But why start a game over when you have 250+ hours on it?

- I evolved my Eevee into Leafeon at level 6. (I got it from Bebe.) If I had waited, I could have evolved it at level 29 or 30 and it would have known Bite.

- I named my Rival Mathew before I realized that Matthew has two 't's.

-I didn't catch a Shinx early game. (I caught it long after though)

Best mistake I can remember so far is not deleting the old file on my Pearl after I'd decided I wanted to start over, and then getting a female Piplup. "Woohoo, it's a she!" "Ack! SAVE, SAVE!!" "Yes yes of course! *cannot save, there is an old file* ............"

Of course, to follow this up, I wanted another female Piplup. After I'd gone through the introduction 6 times, my friend finally suggested that maybe I should just save the file right before I picked up the starter. "Huh. Does that work? *save, run to lake, pick up penguin* HOORAY IT'S A SHE!" We may never know. *headdesk*

This is, of course, excluding the trainwreck that was me trying to get through the Heartholme Gym. Protip 1: If the enemy ghost type is at 1% HP, and your pokemon knows 3 non-Normal/Fighting attacks, for the love of all that is good, do not pick the one Normal/Fighting move. Protip 2: If you do somehow manage to win, saving is a good idea. The lady at the pokecenter handing you back your healed pokemon did not just save the game for you. Arguably the worst part was that I had a witness for all this.

I have a few good ones here...

1- Catching a Growlithe in the Cinnabar Mansion thingy in Red... with a Master Ball.

2- Saving my game after I owned Ho-Oh

3- Wasting my time in the Ruins of Alph, thinking that something was hidden on the ground, Itemfinder style. D:

4-Finding Suicune with only one non-K.O.ed Pokemon... my level 100 Feraligatr. Too bad Scizor was out of commision, it knew False Swipe.

5- Trying to catch EVERY. SINGLE. UNOWN.

6- In Emerald, I went to challenge the Elite Four, without changing my party. I actually WON, with a level 82 Sceptile, a level 50 (if that's what you catch it at) Kyogre, and a few other good meatshields. *coughLOMBREcough*

7- Probably the worst of all... I give not a shit about the Nature, IV's, EV's, DV's, QV's, LMNOPV's or whatever of a Pokemon, not even my starter. Got me through the game just fine anyways. xD

My biggest mistake EVER!!!

I had a prinplup(it was my best pokemon...) and i released it!!!!
i cryed for 10 ours!!!!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Yoshimitsu27 Edit:
Emote abuse. Warned.

Seriously, just stop being an idiot.

I once actually released a Mew. Not a hack or anything, just an actual Mew achieved through an event. I was freaking out until I realized that I could just turn the game off.

Anime misconception #32

Note this is the first generation. I believed that ghost Pokemon had no weaknesses whatsoever especially not to psychics because of the anime. Now back then there were only Gastly, Haunter, and Gengar and no good ghost moves. What I didn't know what that they were weak to ground moves and gasp! psychic moves. I was slightly disappointed...

Actually Ghosts are weak to ghost and dark attacks,the ground and psychic was because those three are part poison.But yeah in the anime ghosts and psychics are considered the most powerful pokemon it seems.

My biggest mistake i guess was using action replay to make an umbreon for firered (since the efforts needed to get umbreon and espeon in the 3rd gen are ridiculous) and not realizing it went past the max EV limit.

Was fine in DS,but wasn't allowed in battle revolution :( (probably for the better anyway,didn't even know i set EV's....)

Oh...Back in the days of good ol' Crystal.
I gave my Feraligatr a horrible noobset...
Strength
Cut
Bite
Whirlpool
And Espeon...
Psychic
Morning Light
Return
Irontail

Just to be fair...I gave my Espeon in Emerald Iron Tail too... d'oh.
Oh, and I KO'd Suicune in the Iron Tower on Crystal too.​

I tried a cloning glitch in G/S/C, lost all my pokemon. :'(

I got every legendary on my Emerald and it broke.

My life stinks from it.

I tried a cloning glitch in G/S/C, lost all my pokemon. :'(

[quote author=RLRL link=topic=3474.msg45432#msg45432 date=1201089760]
I've remembered another really stupid thing I did.

I was using the cloning cheat in silver, and I deleted my eevee and togetic. Such a smart move wouldn't you agree. Im so glad you could buy eevee's in the game corner, or i'd have been screwed.
[/quote]

I got burned like that too. I did the cloning glitch and while I didn't lose all my Pokemon, I lost my Venasaur.

Oh, and this is more of a glitch, but...

In Gold, once I was messing around with Mail, and I was putting it in and out of the Mailbox, and on Pokemon, I had no idea what I was doing. In a battle with a wild pokemon, my trainer just came up, and instead of throwing a Pokeball, he just... stayed there. Then the trainer made a Bulbasaur cry, and knew Tackle. After it just ran out of attacks, it Struggled like normal, but that's as far as I got, since I was put of batteries, but it was fixed when I put new batteries in.

Also, in FireRed, I was using Articuno and Moltres as meatshields against Mewtwo, and near the end, all Mewtwo kept using was Swift. Then I remembered they had Pressure for an ability, and Mewto Struggled itself to death. xD

i KO all the legendary Pokemon and save it after woulds until crystal (lugia only one i got) in fire red i used master ball on zaptos, and only learned about shinys and Ev's in emerald

- at a pokemon event in the UK, i used fire attacks against a salamence with a ho-oh i traded at the event... thing is, i let the guy use dragon dance. My newly acquired ho-oh died instantly on attack.

- using rare candies - never again.

- on wifi recently, i had a choice of dialga or lugia against an opponent whoring earthquake. i chose dialga - bad move.

- used overheat during a ruby/saphire battle with a friend without reading the description of the move.

- using rare candies - never again.

- on wifi recently, i had a choice of dialga or lugia against an opponent whoring earthquake. i chose dialga - bad move.

i'm never using rare candy again on any of my competitive pokemon team

and i did that once but the move was flame thrower and instead of my golem i send sent out my septile.

i also have a new mistake i did i used a ar max to get a magmotiser but it gave me 95 explorer kits in the mail pocket instead and i can't get rid of them.

i also have a new mistake i did i used a ar max to get some items but it gave me 95 explorer kits in the mail pocket instead and i can't get rid of them.

For some reason that really made me laugh. I suppose you can't get rid of them because you can't throw away key items right? Back in Crystal I KOed Suicune in Tin Tower so I couldn't capture Ho-oh.

...What could I say, I wasn't as adamant about capturing Pokemon like I am now. I also did something similar in Silver when I KOed Raikou because I thought it was ugly.

And lastly I used Metronome on Entei. That could have been an absolute disaster but mercifully nothing bad happened.