• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Your First Pokemon

The Pokemon that hooked me in was none other than Charizard. My cousin was playing yellow and I watched curiously. He defeated 3 trainers with just his Charizard, so a week later I bought yellow and my starter was... Squirtle.

Honestly the thing that got me into didn't involve the game or cards. My dad used to be really good friends with the owner of a comic store, so we were there a lot. To help entertain me the owner gave me a deck that I spent about an hour just admiring the box, heh.

The first card or anything Pokemon related that I saw was an Onix in 1st grade. I remember seeing all these weird commercials for Pokemon I think involving Pokemon getting sucked up by a vacuum or something like that. But oddly enough, I remember my first card I received being a Tangla. Soon after, my brother got both Red and Blue versions for the game boy and I somehow convinced him to give me the Blue version, cause it had a cool turtle with water jets on its back. Which is pretty much why Blastoise is my favorite Pokemon to this day.

Personally, I'd say it'd have to be Pikachu.-it got me hooked on the Yellow version. But, one day, I saw my brother at a basketball game and he offered me the game. (It was Crystal, to avoid confusion.) I took the opportunity to play it, and wound up in Goldenrod City hitting the elevator call I-don't-know-how-many times. (I just noticed: Why is it that most of the cities in Red through Crystal named after colors?) Well, Silver just so happened to come on sale and my brother bought it.

Ruby was a good one, too. My starter was ALWAYS Torchic. (Please contact me if the word "always" broke the rules.) I still have it.

But, nowadays, I almost have an obsession with Lucario.

I think the first thing I did to get me into Pokemon was watching the anime. Then I started getting the games and cards, but actually yeah, Pikachu probably got me hooked, and Eevee too because I always thought it was awesome that it could evolve to lots of different forms. I remember that one episode with the three Eevee Brothers, that was my favorite episode.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
After so long, I have finally decided to reply to this.

Well, I liked Pokemon waaaay back when I was, like, 5. The games came out around the year I was born, give or take a year or two. I was at a daycare and I remember clearly one person brought a Pokemon video and kept shouting, "there're Eggs-ec-ute in there!" and I was like, "eggs are cute?" My first experience with Pokemon and I fell in love with Pikachu right there. XD

For a year or so I loved Pokemon. Then 1st grade started and everyone was like, "Pokemon is a baby show." I didn't want to feel left out (lol peer pressure), so I stopped going on about my obsession with Pokemon. I totally forgot it existed until I was in 4th grade.

As I walked through the toys section in Walmart, I saw these cute little plushies of these Pikachu-like Pokemon, one red, one blue, the red one with a plus sign and the blue one with a minus sign. They were too uber cute, cuter than that ugly orange chick in there or that blue deformed thing or that odd looking green dino-ish creature. So I asked my parents to bye them, and they agreed.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that Plusle and Minun are my "first Pokemon" that revived my love for it. And since then, I've been obsessed with things that are blue and red and are paired together (Latios and Latias not included, totally copy-cats of Plusle and Minun. D:

Probably would have to say Gengar..his big grin and glowing red eyes plus that spiky body of his was really unique compared to the rest of the original 151 Pokemon of red and blue. I can't say I'm much of a Gengar fan these days but I still do think he's pretty cool compared to the rest of the Kanto Pokemon..(other then Golbat and Electabuzz).

I stole my cousin's silver and my first ended up being a Feraligator
EDIT: Actually it was Electrode that I saw on TV and ended up stealing it and found out he had an Electrode and kept it.

for me it's charmander. i first saw when all of ash's pokemon where lost in an island and had to team up with team rocket's ekans and koffing and meowth for them to survive. :D

It's really hard for me to remember which pokemon I first obsessed over. I want to say charizard.. and it is my favourite to date, however it is probably more likely that I got into charmander first and then realized what an awesome evolution it had.

I can't even remember how I got into the franchise. Did Katie pull me in or did I see it randomly in the many asian malls around Toronto? Man, I have a bad memory.

Pikachu~ .
My first was when I was, 5-6 yrs old?
I loved how Pikachu followed me behind .
And my Charizard was a HM slave == Hey, we don't have move deleter then and I was soooo small xD .
&&. I still loved Yellow sprites till today .

I remembered watching my cousins play their games, and started getting interested.
I even had a capsules~ First was a Dragonite and a Eevee keychain, back then I know nuts about what they were, so I was totally upset it wasn't Pikachu, since sometimes they mix other toys in as well, and last time I always thought Pikachu's name was Pokemon till my cousin told me Pokemon is for all the 151 back then lol .
Then I started begging for it, and dad got me my purple Gameboy colour with Yellow version~ .

Now believe it, Dragonite and Eevee are one of my top favourite~ .

Charizard. I was reading a Nintendo Power, and I think it was the issue that had this huge article promoting the release of Red and Blue. I think it might have been the first major official announcement of the series in NP, but I could be wrong. I saw the picture of Charizard, read the article, and thought "I can play a game where I command that thing? SOLD."

What first got me into pokemon? Eh...... I think I got a pokemon card that was either Metapod or Gastly. Either that or I saw one of my friends Seel card. I can't really remember..... That was 10 years ago.

Well,what got me hooked on pokemon wasn't the show because i was too young to understand,but the games got me intrested.It all started with pokemon silver,then my games evolved into pokemon platinum and my enjoyment hasn't gone down a bit!

ohh that takes me back to 2004 was it?
I Watched pokemon and liked it so I went to walmart and bought fire red and started with charmander and I evoed and lved it to lv100 then someone stole my fire red and he never gave it back I got so pissed of and went to his house to get it back and he flushed it down the toilet and i told his mom and he got grounded for 3 months and I still hate that kid today
If that guy read this then up yours jerk

I actually lived in Japan when Pokemon first had its cult following, and I remember thinking it was the stupidest thing ever. I never caught onto it.

A few years back, my friend had found her old Game Boy with Pokemon Crystal inside. We were bored at work, so she started to play it. She got bored within five minutes and let me have a go, since I had never played before.

I had never really played video games up to that point, and I remember I first thought it was annoying. She had an egg on her team, and it turned out to be an Eevee. I remember thinking that it was the cutest thing ever, so I started to solo the game with it. A few minutes of childish fun turned into a straight hour or two of playing.

She let me keep the Game Boy and the game. :p

Ok ive played Pokemon since the beginning and ive always liked charmander but the one that got me hooked was when i watched the first pokemon movie.

When i saw that Gyrados i just couldn't stop playing pokemon until i got one and i finally did i even used it more than my starter.Now on all my pokemon games i have at least one.

That is The First Pokemon i fell for in the game.

Hmm ... I think I'll have to say Squirtle.

Well, when I first got Pokemon Blue Squirtle was the one I chose. Mainly because it was such a cutie [ and still is ], but I went on to find that it's a really good fighter, too. In Pokemon FireRed, I chose Squirtle again and based it off of my first one. T'was a girl called Sploosh - I still have her, and use her in Pearl. She's level 100 now, mind. She's changed a bit. xD

I think it was my Charizard. I remember first playing Blue version... I was somewhere around 5 or 6. I got a Charmander, because lizards were cooler than turtles or... plants, I guess. Then it evolved and started kicking serious ass. Good times.

Raichu and Ditto. I saw Raichu in the anime and thought it looked so much cooler than Pikachu, and started wanting one. And I was fascinated with Ditto at the time, don't remember why...

My favorite starter pokemon is Charmander, The first time I saw it I was like in love, and after training and battling with it, it made it where I love fire type pokemon I just think they are so awesome. :D

Back then i went to daycare and one of my friends gave me a pokemon card with a small green toad looking thing on it. I thaught it looked just awesome. when i got home i was watching television, well not really watching, just flipping through the channels and i saw that same toad. i stopped and stared blankly at the screen. it was the episode where ash gets bulbasaur. Recently i have lost my love for grass pokemon, but bulbasaur, ivysaur, and venusaur still have a special place with me.

Well, I never got a main series game until Gen III. However, I did watch the Kanto and Johto sagas and had stadiums 1 and 2 and pokemon snap -Takes deap Breath-. The pokemon that got me involved was probably Pikachu, as the first episode I watched was 'Pokemon - I choose you.' Also, snap brought me close to pokemon because it showed pokemon's personalities, and made Vilplume my second favourite pokemon. So basically, it was those two pokemon.

Not because it's a starter, and not because I am The Man of Blastoise, It's Blastoise himself. He was the first foil edition Pokemon card I got in a deck starter when the Pokemon series first came out. He gave me the sudden catch of wanting to catch lots of water Pokemon when I got Pokemon Silver, so that's why I started with Totodile when I got Silver. Blastoise pushed me, and is still pushing me now, to become the best Water-type Pokemon trainer ever.

sandslash was thefirst pokemon that i really liked first generation then second gen it was quilava, third gen was blaziken and after that i gave up on pokemon until i saw empoleon in the fourth gen that got me started back upso it has been pretty confusing lol

For me, it was Zapdos. I had the guide book for the game before I actually bought the game itself, (red version, at the time), and I'd planned the whole way for Zapdos to be on my team and memorized where he was!
I'm not into electric types much anymore, but I'll always love zapdos.

Well, I would say Squirtle would be my first one. I always thought that it looked awesome after it evolved into Wartortle and Blastoise.

Well this takes me way back to first gen . There were four Pokemon that got me really interested:

Charmander - The Pokemon that got me hooked to the whole series. Probably because it was a fire Pokemon and fire just fascinated me. (Not pyro like though) But when Pokemon Red came out I was ecstatic.

Scyther - Cause he was the coolest bug Pokemon out there, much better than Weedle or Caterpie.

Zapdos - I found that he was the coolest looking electric Pokemon to me. (Plus I always used to wondered how he didn't make himself faint while using electric type moves)

Mewtwo - Ever since the first movie I always loved him, probably cause he was the only Pokemon you could somewhat understand also he just looked so damn cool.

the first episode i saw was the secret garden, and bulbasaur was awesome whippin away that vacuum

the first game, yellow, i shared with my brother and that was pikachu

but my first game was crystal, and feraligatr is still my favorite