1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Pokémon do you think will be retconned to Fairy-type?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Games Discussion' started by Toastie, Jul 7, 2013.

1. It's been nearly a month since Fairy-type's official reveal. In that reveal, Marill, Gardevoir and Jigglypuff were confirmed to be gaining a secondary Fairy typing. It's very likely that these 3 are the tip of the iceberg, and that many older Pokémon will be getting a new lease of life. Which Pokémon do you think will become Fairy-type, and how do you think it will affect them?

Here's a list I made of all the Pokémon I think have a chance of gaining the Fairy typing:
    Gen I

Clefairy - Fairy
    Clefable - Fairy
    Wigglytuff - Normal/Fairy
    Chansey - Fairy/Normal
    Mew - Psychic/Fairy

Gen II

Cleffa - Fairy
    Igglybuff - Normal/Fairy
    Togepi - Normal/Fairy
    Togetic - Fairy/Flying
    Azumarill - Water/Fairy
    Dunsparce - Normal/Fairy
    Snubbull - Normal/Fairy
    Granbull - Normal/Fairy
    Blissey - Fairy/Normal
    Celebi - Psychic/Fairy

Gen III

Skitty - Normal/Fairy
    Delcatty - Normal/Fairy
    Mawile - Steel/Fairy
    Swablu - Fairy/Flying
    Altaria - Dragon/Fairy
    Milotic - Water/Fairy
    Chimeco - Psychic/Fairy
    Luvdisc - Water/Fairy
    Jirachi - Steel/Fairy

Gen IV

Pachirisu - Electric/Fairy
    Happiny - Fairy/Normal
    Finneon - Water/Fairy
    Lumineon - Water/Fairy
    Togekiss - Fairy/Flying
    Uxie - Fairy
    Mespirit - Fairy
    Azelf - Fairy
    Manaphy - Water/Fairy
    Shaymin (Land Forme) - Grass/Fairy

Gen V

Victini - Fairy/Fire
    Woobat - Fairy/Flying
    Swoobat - Fairy/Flying
    Audino - Fairy/Flying
    Whimsicott - Grass/Fairy
    Lilligant - Grass/Fairy
    Cinccino - Normal/Fairy
    Alomomola - Water/Fairy
    Meloetta (Aria Forme) - Fairy/Psychic
    Meloetta (Pirouette Forme) - Fairy/Fighting

The term 'fairy' seems to have been applied fairly loosely, as we saw with Marill, so I think there are many candidates. In total, including Marill, Jigglypuff and Gardevoir, my list comes to 46, which would actually make Fairy more common than a few existing types.

I'm really hoping to see Togekiss and Jirachi gain a Fairy typing. They're my two favourite Pokémon, and their designs scream fairy. The only way I can see them not gaining the new type is if Game Freak don't replace types, and only add Fairy as a secondary typing to Pokémon that are currently pure-typed. Hopefully that isn't the case, as I'd really like to be able to switch in to Outrage.

2. Re: Which Pokémon do you think will be retconned to Fairy-ty

I doubt it is likely but maybe the Misdreavus line and Stantler. I think other candidates include Plusle, Minun, Volbeat and Illumise

3. Linkachu

Linkachu Hero of Pizza
    Staff Member Administrator

Re: Which Pokémon do you think will be retconned to Fairy-ty

I'm not sure if I can see any Pokemon that are already dual-types gaining the Fairy-type but if they touch any of the previous legendaries I think that Cresselia has a high chance of gaining it. It certainly fits the look of one. I'd be curious to see how it'd influence the metagame if it actually did become one but it'd likely depend on what the weaknesses of the Fairy-type are too.

4. Re: Which Pokémon do you think will be retconned to Fairy-ty

Well I think nearly every Pokemon I thought of has been mentioned.

For some reason Spinda stands out for me and I have no idea why.

My main thought is Mewtwo Awakened Forme, main reason is why they've waited this long to release a forme for it and in a generation that boasts a new type and it could mean it's awakened to it's new fairy powers I mean the Awakened Forme looks more cutesy and feminine than it's standard form. I dunno how to explain it but I think it's gained fairy typing nonetheless

5. Re: Which Pokémon do you think will be retconned to Fairy-ty

Actually what Corey said, it would be rather fitting to introduce a new type and forme at the same time to make it so Mewtwo can go Fairy.

Other than that, I would really like to see Mienshao take on a Fairy typing, along with something like Bellossum or Unown take on a typing like that. Actually I would like to see Typhlosion become a Fairy type but I know that won't happen anytime in the future~

As far as retypings, perhaps Masquerain and Beautifly could take on the Fairy typing, if not Vespiquen or Swoobat.

6. Re: Which Pokémon do you think will be retconned to Fairy-ty

I think Snubbel and Clefairy have good chances of being fairy type because there pokedex entries describe them as the fairy pokemon
    I think that happiny and skitty lines have a good chance
    maybe most of the pink normal types have good chances of being fairy types
    and I think mew,celebi and the lake guardians might become fairy type legendaries

7. Ruko

Ruko Bearded Trout Warrior

Re: Which Pokémon do you think will be retconned to Fairy-ty

I'm going to have to throw Pikachu's line as a possibility, as well as anything else in the Fairy Egg-group. If they don't change Clefairy over, I'm sure there will be an uproar about it.