• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Which Pokémon do you think will be retconned to Fairy-type?

It's been nearly a month since Fairy-type's official reveal. In that reveal, Marill, Gardevoir and Jigglypuff were confirmed to be gaining a secondary Fairy typing. It's very likely that these 3 are the tip of the iceberg, and that many older Pokémon will be getting a new lease of life. Which Pokémon do you think will become Fairy-type, and how do you think it will affect them?

Here's a list I made of all the Pokémon I think have a chance of gaining the Fairy typing:
Gen I

Clefairy - Fairy
Clefable - Fairy
Wigglytuff - Normal/Fairy
Chansey - Fairy/Normal
Mew - Psychic/Fairy

Gen II

Cleffa - Fairy
Igglybuff - Normal/Fairy
Togepi - Normal/Fairy
Togetic - Fairy/Flying
Azumarill - Water/Fairy
Dunsparce - Normal/Fairy
Snubbull - Normal/Fairy
Granbull - Normal/Fairy
Blissey - Fairy/Normal
Celebi - Psychic/Fairy

Gen III

Skitty - Normal/Fairy
Delcatty - Normal/Fairy
Mawile - Steel/Fairy
Swablu - Fairy/Flying
Altaria - Dragon/Fairy
Milotic - Water/Fairy
Chimeco - Psychic/Fairy
Luvdisc - Water/Fairy
Jirachi - Steel/Fairy

Gen IV

Pachirisu - Electric/Fairy
Happiny - Fairy/Normal
Finneon - Water/Fairy
Lumineon - Water/Fairy
Togekiss - Fairy/Flying
Uxie - Fairy
Mespirit - Fairy
Azelf - Fairy
Manaphy - Water/Fairy
Shaymin (Land Forme) - Grass/Fairy

Gen V

Victini - Fairy/Fire
Woobat - Fairy/Flying
Swoobat - Fairy/Flying
Audino - Fairy/Flying
Whimsicott - Grass/Fairy
Lilligant - Grass/Fairy
Cinccino - Normal/Fairy
Alomomola - Water/Fairy
Meloetta (Aria Forme) - Fairy/Psychic
Meloetta (Pirouette Forme) - Fairy/Fighting

The term 'fairy' seems to have been applied fairly loosely, as we saw with Marill, so I think there are many candidates. In total, including Marill, Jigglypuff and Gardevoir, my list comes to 46, which would actually make Fairy more common than a few existing types.

I'm really hoping to see Togekiss and Jirachi gain a Fairy typing. They're my two favourite Pokémon, and their designs scream fairy. The only way I can see them not gaining the new type is if Game Freak don't replace types, and only add Fairy as a secondary typing to Pokémon that are currently pure-typed. Hopefully that isn't the case, as I'd really like to be able to switch in to Outrage.

Re: Which Pokémon do you think will be retconned to Fairy-ty

I doubt it is likely but maybe the Misdreavus line and Stantler. I think other candidates include Plusle, Minun, Volbeat and Illumise

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

I'm not sure if I can see any Pokemon that are already dual-types gaining the Fairy-type but if they touch any of the previous legendaries I think that Cresselia has a high chance of gaining it. It certainly fits the look of one. I'd be curious to see how it'd influence the metagame if it actually did become one but it'd likely depend on what the weaknesses of the Fairy-type are too.

Well I think nearly every Pokemon I thought of has been mentioned.

For some reason Spinda stands out for me and I have no idea why.

My main thought is Mewtwo Awakened Forme, main reason is why they've waited this long to release a forme for it and in a generation that boasts a new type and it could mean it's awakened to it's new fairy powers I mean the Awakened Forme looks more cutesy and feminine than it's standard form. I dunno how to explain it but I think it's gained fairy typing nonetheless

Actually what Corey said, it would be rather fitting to introduce a new type and forme at the same time to make it so Mewtwo can go Fairy.

Other than that, I would really like to see Mienshao take on a Fairy typing, along with something like Bellossum or Unown take on a typing like that. Actually I would like to see Typhlosion become a Fairy type but I know that won't happen anytime in the future~

As far as retypings, perhaps Masquerain and Beautifly could take on the Fairy typing, if not Vespiquen or Swoobat.

I think Snubbel and Clefairy have good chances of being fairy type because there pokedex entries describe them as the fairy pokemon
I think that happiny and skitty lines have a good chance
maybe most of the pink normal types have good chances of being fairy types
and I think mew,celebi and the lake guardians might become fairy type legendaries

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior

I'm going to have to throw Pikachu's line as a possibility, as well as anything else in the Fairy Egg-group. If they don't change Clefairy over, I'm sure there will be an uproar about it.