• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

What Keeps You Interested in an Anime Series?

So we've got a thread here talking about what people's favourite anime are, but I'm kind of curious to know what draws you to a series in the first place, and what keeps you watching. To be more specific, what can make or break a series for you? Oh, and just a warning - I'm going to ramble. A lot.

For me, the visual aesthetic is critically important. I really need the visuals to be reasonably decent in terms of quality, otherwise I'm going to get distracted and spend most of my time watching critiquing the art rather than paying attention to the narrative. On the flipside, if the visuals are really well done, I can get completely distracted drooling over them. For example, the first time I watched Redline I had no idea what was actually happening because every damn frame was a complete feast for the eyes. It wasn't until my second run through that I actually had any grasp over the plot. So basically a bad aesthetic will make me ragequit quickly, whereas if its awesome I'll keep watching even if every other aspect of the show is really weak. Along these same lines, I really want the aesthetic to be quite unique as well, as if its like everything else I've ever seen that's a big part of my experience that I lose - I can't sit there and try and work out how they go about creating the shows visual style because I've already done that. So something like Sword Art Online is instantly disengaging because it looks as unthinkably generic for 2010s anime these days, and this just makes me focus on the plot more. Which in SAOs case, in my opinion, isn't a good thing. For comparison, something like Serial Experiments Lain is instantly striking with its quiet, almost awkward, atmosphere, the fact that in areas of heavy shadow there appears to be watercolour or blood drops, and its obsessive focus on wires. The only exception to this is probably anything by Clamp because I just adore their art style in general, although it still does change per series.

Next important thing is how closely the series sticks to the conventions of its genre, or basically "How much does this feel like every other show I've seen?". If I'm watching something and I feel I can predict exactly where the story is going, and it doesn't subvert my expectations, then I'm going to move on because there's probably not much point in watching. Shounen in particular really needs something different because it often has such a distinct formula and feeling. There are plenty of ways to go about making something unique of course, with being a deconstruction being the obvious one, especially if I'm really familiar with the genre its messing with. Madoka Magica completely messed with my childhood and it was awesome. Another thing that makes series feel unique is having an anachronic order, like Baccano for example, as it instantly sets up point of intrigue by making me wonder how they ended up at this point. Or you could combine genres in ways that I haven't seen before - Hyouka is a slice of life anime that contains a lot of mystery elements, but they're usually centred around everyday lighthearted mysteries, which is something that I haven't really seen before it. There is an exception to this of course - if I care enough about the characters then I will stick around, but only if the show holds my attention for long enough for me to get to know them. Noragami is a good example of this - it felt very shounen with nothing really to set it apart, but I quickly became really interested in the character Yukine and how he develops over the course of the series so it no longer mattered how generic the show felt as long as he was on screen.

The last point I'll talk about (because I could write a freaking novel on this subject, and nobody wants to read that) is how human the characters are. We humans are inherently flawed creatures and are deeply complex, so when some character comes along who demonstrates neither of those qualities I disengage immediately as there is nothing in them to relate to. I also don't want these things explicitly spelled out to me, even if it means I might not notice as it just feels like the writer wasn't skilled enough to work their behaviour naturally into the narrative. Probably one of my favourite examples of this is in the character of Lelouch in Code Geass. Lelouch makes some really stupid decisions sometimes, which clashes with his presentation of being a really logical intelligent chessmaster kind of guy. Except that most of these occur when someone he's emotionally attached to is involved, and suddenly these mistakes make a lot of sense. It makes him human and believable because without these moments he'd come across as being a psychopath like Light Yagami (although with Light, I'd argue that its the point to make him seem as inhuman as possible, but that's a different topic). It also helps that whenever Lelouch gets into combat in a Knightmare he usually gets his ass handed to him. And all of this happens without the show rubbing it in your face, and its great. In comparison, someone like Otonashi from Angel Beats doesn't even feel like a character to begin with and its instantly off putting. Its one of the main reasons why I kinda hate the series - he feels like a void where a character should be, and anything he does only happens because he's following some generic anime protagonist code of conduct rather than anything meaningful on his part. He's just not human, and I just can't pretend he is.

So if you're still reading this because I have no concept of restraint when it comes to things like this, what kind of things keep you interested in an anime? Are you the kind of person who can be sold on something just by the presence of swords or something, or a certain genre, or just a bunch of stupidly complex specific things?

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I do know my general thing for animes that I love the most. They usually have a darker theme with bits of comedy/heartwarming moments thrown in, a case of time loops which end up being a major plot point, a main character that experienced memory loss and as a result has to come to terms with who they are and their identity, a gray scale of morality where the bad guys sometimes look like the good guys and the good guys turn out to be just as bad if not worse than the bad guys, and colorful/alienesque worldbuilding. I dunno why, but a combination of at least 3 out of 5 of these can be found in any of my top anime choices, so I guess there's some sort of theme going on. In a way, I guess that makes some of their plots predictable, but at the same time I just... I dunno. I guess the animes I like just execute these things well enough that I'm able to be engaged in a story that might've been told a thousand times before.

Though, I will say that good characterization will probably be one of the main selling points for me. Flawed characters who realize their flaws and try to become better really do it for me. Relatedly, character relationships are also important to me, and I don't mean in an OTP shipping sense. My absolute favorite relationship in D.Gray-Man, for example, are the Lee siblings, Komui and Lenalee, because of how much they both care for each other and sacrifice so that they can be together and/or keep the other safe. Assassination Classroom has basically the whole class get together in an attempt to kill their teacher, while also bonding with said teacher and thus complicating their feelings as their deadline for killing their teacher gets closer and closer. Ironically, I actually don't ship characters with each other that often, at least not romantically. Platonic and familial relationships rip my heart out moreso than most romantic ships have for me, and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future.

The other thing that really gets me into an anime would probably be the music. I remember absolutely adoring Princess Tutu, and much of the reason for that was because the soundtrack used a lot of classical music. And, being the classical music fanatic I am, I loved it. Openings and endings can usually tempt me into starting an anime, and the especially good ones I refuse to skip. I don't care if this anime has 25 episodes, I'm gonna watch the same opening over and over again because I love it (D.Gray-Man Hallow, Aldnoah.Zero, and No Game No Life had some especially awesome openings that combined amazing art and animation with gorgeous/epic music).

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I'm a simple beast who only needs two things to enjoy an anime or a manga and those two things are character development and plot. A great example of this is .hack//sign which has almost no action sequences and is entirely dialogue driven. I've watched it twice because the story is interesting, a person gets trapped in a video game and a group of strangers who have never met in real life feel concerned enough to try to solve the mystery of how it happened in the first place and how to get them out. Because the characters spend 99% of the time talking there's a lot of development between them as he main cast become close knit friends and learn to overcome their insecurities or redeem past misdeeds.

Like @Aura mentioned above, Lelouch is such a well developed character because he's he's real. Now I don't mean real as he actually exists, but this image shows how Lelouch's morality is all over the spectrum depending on the situation like any real person's would be making him extremely relateable to me. One of the things that makes Code Geass my favorite anime is watching him grow as a person from an arrogant boy with the desire to topple an empire to a competent leader trying to find the best solution for world peace.

Of course I'm also fond of anime that just go completely over the top like Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, Oran High Host Club, and One Punch Man. On that topic, my favorite thing about Oran High is how much it subverts expectations for everything. Instead of "Senpai notice me!" the relationship between Tamaki and Haruhi is "Kohai notice me!"

I tend to enjoy a wide variety of genres when it comes to anime. I have liked slice-of-life, psychological horror, sci-fi, action-adventure, and many others. Generally, the anime I enjoy have several common components:

1. Music. A good opening song tends to be the hook that brings me into a series. Attack On Titan, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Deadman Wonderland- many of these have great opening songs that I (attempt to) sing along to. Good background music tracks don't hurt, either.
2. Plot. The story itself has to be one that I can more-or-less follow and comprehend, one that is not too confusing and contains many interweaving elements and stories that create a big, cohesive, magnificent tapestry when it's all over. Moral ambiguity, political sparring, mystery and danger, good pacing-these are all the things that make up a good, engaging plot.
3. Characters. The characters are what makes or breaks a show. We need relatable, complex people to love(or hate! >:D). Conflicting motivations, tough decisions, emotional struggles- above all, strong character development and dynamic change in the characters is what matters. If we have static, unrelatable characters, we are disconnected from the events of the story and thus, we do not care what happens to the world of the anime and what happens to it, or its inhabitants.
4. Humor. I like some good comedy as much as anyone. However, tone dissonance or fanservice-related humor in large doses can kill my interest in an anime even if everything else is going spectacularly.

Basically, I have pretty simplistic needs, which allows me to branch out! :D

For me, I'm looking for good plot, animation, action, memetic potential, etc. but the big one is that it can't squick me-- I had to take a break from Gurren Lagann because the fanservice was a little too much (I'll get back to it, it's a classic with fantastic action) and I've skipped all the JJBA episodes with some kind of horrible bodily fluids gag. I feel like I'm on some kind of FBI watchlist after the ep where Polnareff is turned into a child. Japan.