• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

What has Pokémon done for you in Real Life?

I looked around and as far as I can tell this topic doesn't exist yet.
I'm just wondering what the best thing that's ever happened to you because of Pokémon.
Here's my story:
My first semester of college there was this girl that I really liked. I managed to talk to her a fair amount and one night I pulled off hanging out with her in her room until 4 in the morning. What's the line that got me there? "Hey, do you wanna trade Pokémon?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Heh... The greatest thing Pokemon has done for me is given me hope during the hardest of times. Over the years it's become my security blanket, and not in an unhealthy way. Anything that could help pick me up after hitting rock bottom - the lowest point I ever touched emotionally - isn't a bad thing in my eyes.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Well, I guess Pokemon has helped me gain some popularity, at the very least "respect", I guess you can put it, in my school. In the past, people always looked down on me and, I guess, despised me. My friends started going away due to some of my personallity problems (I'm the type of person who always seeks fun, as some of you guys may know. So... when I was young, I would chase boys around and pat them on the head. That was my idea of fun, so... parents said to their kids to stay away from me, not to learn from me, etc. So yeah...). I'm considered one of the more annoying people at my school, also due to my want for fun. Then comes the fact that I'm so childish and, apparently, naive and stuff (I don't get most of the perverted jokes at school, just saying), that people like to make fun of me for that.

But, you know, after joining here and rekindling my love of Pokemon that I've had since I was, like, 4, I started to gain a bit more, erm, knowledge of Pokemon and stuffs. People look at that as a sign of childishness, but, apparently, a BUNCH of people at school have Pokemon games, and many like Pokemon, but are too ashamed to admit it, thinking people will make fun of them if they said so. Meh, it's true people consider Pokemon "babyish" at my school, but due to my spirit and stuffs, and my relative ignorance of society (I meant, I know what people say about me, but I just don't really care, to be honest), I talk about Pokemon a lot. Then, people started to, I guess, feel as if they weren't alone, and even if they were laughed at, they could think, "well, at least I'm not the only one." I think, because of that, people started talking to me more, and started to find out that I'm not all that bad. Then they ask me for help on their teams. I can only give them basic stuff, like, "Remember STAB, but don't have, like, 4 electric-type moves on that Luxray of yours", stuff like that.

Besides that semi-confusing thing, Pokemon has also allowed me to create new "stories" in my head (sorry, they're not worthy enough to be called fanfics, and they include people I know, so nope, not posting them here), have more "imaginary friends" to hang around with when no one's around and I'm just bored, and, in all, helped me expand my creativity boundary a bit, and make my imagination grow. I think that's the best thing that Pokemon has ever given me.

(will edit later due to mom coming and going like, "Let's watch some PLANET EARTH!"

(will edit later due to mom coming and going like, "Let's watch some PLANET EARTH!"
Planet Earth is FTW.
'Nyways... Uh. Well. I guess I can call it a creative outlet. I've learned how to sprite through it, as well as sig making (thanks to LoN here). I also have a few stories in my head that I should put here (so they don't eek out without anyone knowing the wiser) and it's fun to think of stuff like that. And the anime is something that made me want to draw, I saw the anime characters and thought that I could draw them easily. It wasn't then that I could, but I've gotten better. But yeah. It's also made me look forward to something when school was being epic fail, there was something between then and summer that would help fill my time. Pokemon also brought me and my brother together, although he doesn't play anymore, he'll be interested in what I'm doing if it's Pokemon related. And it's fun being the head Pokemon honcho where I live.​

I guess my story is similar to Rayn's, it's a creative outlet. I love spriting up my Region, and I love making up new characters to occupy it.

Because of necessity I also learned how to cel-shade, how to CGI, and how to sprite especially. And as of last night, learned how to animate things (like mah lovely little avatar!).

Pokemon also helped me bridge the gap between myself and the kids who are involved with the Easter Play production I am very heavily involved in, since after a point there is no more hectic scene changes, as a member of the backstage crew I have nothing to do except be crowd control for the 8 or 9 kids. All I have to do is bring out my DS and I have instant god-like powers. I also use it as reward incentive ("Help me break the bread into all the bags and I will let you play my DS"). Blackmail is fun.

It also helped me when my grandfather died (of terminal cancer, 4 hours before my 17th birthday). The last present I got from him, he had wrapped up and given it to me a few weeks before with the solemn promise I wouldn't open it until my birthday. And when I opened it up (a few days after the fact since I had to travel to Brisbane for the funeral)...it was a Gameboy Colour and Pokemon Crystal. It was also the first Pokemon game I ever got.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
as a member of the backstage crew I have nothing to do except be crowd control for the 8 or 9 kids.
I don't envy you there O_0

I'd have to say that although I wouldn't call it an event, Pokemon is one of things that helped me stay a child at heart. While all the other girls grew up at like age 11/12, wanting to date boys and wear the best clothes, I still enjoyed playing Pokemon games and in many ways I think it helped me keep my individuality. It was difficult to be different in school, as I'm sure it is with many, because a slight difference and people picked on you constantly.

I never had a problem, I think because I wasn't ashamed about liking Pokemon, plus people just tended to like me anyway. I do feel that while I have certainly grown up now, Pokemon helped me keep one eye on having a sense of childish fun, in a sense keeping the magic you see everywhere as a child. I'm thankful for that. Most of my school friends are now married with several kids, which at 21 I'm certainly not ready for!

This Magpie has some travelling to do first ^^

Through the anime, Pokemon has helped me become who I am. A fun loving kid, who cares about his friends, but knows when to get serious. Pokemon in general helped me gain the status of "Otaku" at my school. People I know might not watch Pokemon anymore, but they respect the fact that I'm not afraid to admit that I do. Plus they still play the games, old and new.MOre than half my school like at least one season, so...and my girlfriend likes it, even though she can't watch it...(no cable at her house). She also thinks its kinda cute and she says I'm like her little Pikachu. Anyway, Pokemon has helped me gain a little respect, as in I'm not afraid to admit to likeing it. Pokemon was my first anime, even though Ididn't know it was called "anime" Its also when I first started drawing, even though I still suck at drawing 11 years later.

I must say this is not at all where I intended this thread to go. I was looking for more of an individual funny instance than a broader scale, but you guys made me think along those lines in my own life.
I suppose Pokémon has definitely helped me adjust to college. I've been really suprised by the number of people I've found that play and pretty much all of them have now become closer friends because of it. My roomate and sisters still make fun of me for it, but only playfully now. It has been a nice thing to hold on to over the years.

If you want the most helpful experience that Pokemon ever gave me, then I'll tell you. Pokemon was one of the contributing benefactors that taught me to read. And now, creative writing and reading are my top grades. English is my forte in school and it seems as if the other kids cower from my papers. It's true, actually. But I must thank Zelda as well.

'K, know what?

Pokemon introduced me to some of the most wonderful people I have ever, and ever will, meet.

You people.

Yes, yes, 'tis a bit cliche. But it's true. I love 'Charms, and all the great friends I've made here. Without Pokemonz, I would not be posting this. Can you imagine, a 'Charms without Cody!? (Okay, it's not even been six months yet, that'd be on the 27th. But, I digress, that last sentence was a joke)

But really, it has. You all mean something to me, and you are all amazingly awesome. Alot of you are nicer then people I see just about everyday.

There are other things, such as a great hobby, a connection to friends that have moved, and something to look forward to every few years.

So, thank you Pokemon, and thank you, Pokecharms.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Cody's referring to me in particular there.

Anyway, Pokemon, in the end, has just been a good time for me. It's a fun game, and I still remember when there was this massive attraction to the games. Even if they're not as popular now among my IRL friends than it was maybe 5 years ago, it's still a lot of fun to take my DS into college and beat people in battles, or trade or whatever.

I agree with Cody, if it wasn't for Pokemon I wouldn't know some of the most amazing people I know today. Online and in real life. Almost four years ago I met someone named Sean on a different forum, and although not everything on it was Pokemon based, it had its forums for Pokemon. I later found out that he lived in the same state as I did, and eventually I met him and we started dating. To this day, I still talk to him and I can honestly say he is my closest guy friend.

I have though, been made fun of because I told my friends that I play Pokemon, and my family thinks that I don't act my age or whatever. But I really don't care, in my opinion it's a game of strategy and it makes you think. People who play Pokemon or any other type of video game, have to be the best kind of people out there, because they're not afraid to admit it to other people, and they meet people online that they could never meet in real life if they didn't know about the game. Not saying that we couldn't all meet each other some day, and that you knew each other before this site or other sites, but everyone here is different. Everyone's personality, ideas and so on, I don't think I could ever find anyone like any of you. I mean that in the best way possible, because you guys are the nicest people I have ever met.

Pokemon is something fun for me, I think about it all the time, and i get ideas from pokemon. One person i my year watches the show, and he pretends to be the pokemon and doesn't take this seriously like i do. Him doing impressions make other people do them (because he's popular) even though they don't know what they're saying and i get annoyed by that.

But, if i didn't like pokemon and have the game then i wouldn't have gone onto a cheat website. Then i saw trainer cards from here, so i started making them. Then i saw a tournament was on. I joined so that i could enter, thus i discovered the wonders of pokecharms.

Pokemon has made me an outcast in my school and shown me how big of jerks people can be.

But it also showed me who my real friends are and helped me make new friends that keep me from going crazier than I am.

Kinda corny right?

Ditto, Yellowtail. But it also kinda pulled me out of my shell. In elementary school, I brought my brother's Pokemon Silver Version (which i had stole) to school and everyone crowded around me and just watched for our 20 minutes of recess (which i secretly miss very much). I made soo many friends and it also made me into the proud geek that I truly am (why, i don't understand, 12 girls i know of have crushes on me). I'm not really an outcast, though.

First off, I hate this computer, as I had typed everything and, before I finished the last sentence, it decided to go back a page, and erase everything.

Now, on to the topic at hand. Pokemon basically told me who my friends were. I mean, I went to a school in which admitting you liked a franchise that everyone else knew when they were ten was a major liability. Not that a status as a social pariah ever stopped me from knowing what I liked. So, I made it obvious. With my younger friends, I'd randomly stage fake Pokemon battles on campus. There was one time when we walked from our art building to the cafeteria (not a short distance), singing the first season theme the entire way. Just to let y'all know, this was all this last year- my senior year. I figured the friends who were in my same year would just abandon me, as they were slightly more popular... but they didn't. I found that I had some really good friends- as good as you can get in high school, at least.

Now, I'm moving on to college. I guess Pokemon will serve as the one constant in a world where everything else is changing at an alarming pace. I've actually already made some friends that are in to it.

And, as an overarching point, it serves as an escape. Not in an unhealthy way, it's just nice to be able to drop out of the hectic world for an hour or two to a place where ten year olds are safe to roam the countryside.

The most helpful thing it's done for me is relieve stress and stuff. Part of why I was able to get through the hard times I've had is because of Pokemon and other games. I've also made some good friends over the years on various Pokemon forums.

The most helpful thing that pokemon has done for me is that it has helped me make friends. I'm kinda wierd and without pokemon I probebly wouldn't have made most of my friends.

First off, I hate this computer, as I had typed everything and, before I finished the last sentence, it decided to go back a page, and erase everything.
I hate when that happens.

hm, Pokemon hasn't really benefited me actually. My boyfriend thinks I'm stupid and childish, but it really is good, addictive fun. All my friends make fun of me too, and I don't know anyone else who plays it.

I used to model, and the time spent waiting can sometimes be borderline unbearable. I would usually just read a book, but, one day, my friend had found her Game Boy with Crystal Version and brought it as a joke. At first, I had the same reaction as my boyfriend does now. I never got into Pokemon as a child and always thought it was dumb. She played for maybe five minutes before she got bored, so she made me switch. (I think maybe I had brought in a magazine that day...)

Anyway, I played it for a straight hour or two, so she let me keep the Game Boy and the game. I played only Crystal for the longest time, and I played maybe once every 1-2 weeks. I wasn't really interested in the new Advanced Generation or whatever. Then this sort of weird boy in one of my classes brought his Ruby Version or whatever to school and I thought it looked so much nicer than my crappy Crystal. So I bought Emerald and LG. Then I got hooked.

I just realized this is more of a story about my introduction to Pokemon. So, er, I guess Pokemon made me read less. And made the waiting time pass faster. :p It made me an overall more lazy person, as I often put off important things (like homework) to play it. I only play it once every 2-3 days for 1-3 hours, but it adds up.

Oh, and my friend who gave me my first game still makes fun of me about it. Ah well. :)

Growing up I loved to watch pokemon and I still love it, pokemon helped me with my speech growing up and with my imagination, it helped my cousin too, and since it helped me with my imagination it sort of helped me out with passing time at school so I didn't die of boredom, but it never turned me into a outcast or anything like that. :D

This is going to sound . . . really corny, but pokemon has always given me a sense of hope, hapiness and taught me to believe in myself even if no one else seemed to.

When I was little, they were the monsters that all my monsters were afraid of. lol ;D

When I got older, they became my outlet, my friends when I wasn't too popular or cool. Or when pokemon stopped being a fad in school atleast XD. . . Ah memories . . . When teacher used to make rules and games about pokemon cards and all the cool kids had red or blue games or purple see through gbcs XD

And when I was a bit older they attracted friends to me! lol

And now it's a symbol that stirs up wonderful memories for me. I get really choked up just thinking of all the people I've met because of the game and lessons I've learned because of the show when I was younger.

To start off, I joined Pokecharms. :p

I've actually made friends, not exactly through Pokemon, but I found friends last year who like Pokemon like me (Granted they HAXORZ, they don't much) and we've all been friends ever since.

Now I just need to convert one of them into trying out EVing. Xo That'll take a while.

But besides making me friends, it's filled that empty void of my life called free time. Although I may still have a lot of free time, it has definitely haelped me focus a little less on school (Which is good in my case!)

All-in-All, no Pokemon, no good friends, no forum-going.

-AL

Well, it made me read less, study less and a little bit of an introvert :p

those aren't negatives i assure you

Also Pokemon brought me closer to the friends i already have, and with making friends is much more easier. ;D

One of my best mates I first met over the park across the road from my house, I was about 10 years old, trying to break my skateboard because I wanted a new one, we started talking pokémon, about 10 years later, we still talk pokémon.

Joining pokémon forums, I've gotten to meet loads of people, some definately stand out more than others. Even got to go to a prom (I missed my own for a music festival) which I'd have never gotten to do if I'd never been playing pokémon and coming online to forums. I also ended up dating a girl for a while who I only knew because of people I met on forums, and that was pretty shibby.

Pokémon is a great outlet for my OCD so it helps me to keep calm in general and not let other bits of my OCD affect me as much, its kinda wierd to explain, but yeah it centres me haha...

Oooh and its helped me be that little bit more pennyless at times haha

Pokemon has given me a greater appreciation for tall grass. You never know what's lurking in there...

Also, though this one is hard to describe, it's made my imagination feel... fresh? I dunno, something about Pokemon and its world and creatures makes me feel refreshed, like I can think of cool unique ideas and be confident in them, even if they have absolutely nothing to do with Pokemon. *shrugs* I don't really get it myself.

It has inspired me to design some new pokemon. Also has prevented me from boredom (that's usual... :p). But I design pokemon more than draw random stuff, so that's something more worthy.

When I was younger (around 8, back when Pokemon was "in" and they only had 150 pokemon) I was super obsessed with Pokemon I had all the TCG cards which gave me popularity and plenty of fun memories.

Now that I'm older and Pokemon is not so popular, I kinda keep my liking for Pokemon quieter, but the fact that I still like it has shown me that nobody opinion can change me from liking anything. Also I think I've been more inspired as an artist (to be more creative and never give up on any piece that I'm working on). Plus the GBC, GBA, and DS games never leave me with a dull moment.

Pokemon has gave me many things, such as you guys. i never keep quiet about it i don't care what people say. it is also what gave me the courage to go to events and conventions. as well as hours of fun

Pokemon... has done very much.

First off, it let me draw. I discovered what "anime" actually was in second grade, and since then I have been drawing nonstop.

Pokemon also got me my creativity. If Pokemon never existed, I would simply be like all those other girls, looking for a smexy guy (El, this does not include you). But thanks to Pokemon, I don't want one for a long while, probably 8-10 years.

Pokemon has gotten me my friends. By playing Pokemon and collecting Pokemon, I have become a very friendly person in many people's eyes. I may not be popular, but I still have good friends.

And finally....

I got YOU guys. Yes, all of you. I discovered this site through the trainer cards I see in many sites. You are all great people. Ever since I didn't have Gaia, this is the perfect substitute, where everyone treats me well. You guys are all great

pokemon got me into drawing (so i could draw my own pokemon you see..)

I kept it up, the interest developed, and now I study art at college. But it started with pokemon!