• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Vista or XP?

I just bought a new laptop last week and of course it came with a trial package of Vista edition (or something like that) of Microsoft office. This trial thingy will disable itself after two months. Now the dilemma arises: should I continue to run Vista or run XP? Is my Vista laptop even capable of running XP? If you have anything to share (i.e. advantages/disadvanatages of one over the other) I would love to hear it.

This came up when the Nintendo USB connector I bought was only compatable with Windows XP. :p

Nemesis

Former Administrator
Just stick with Vista.

As for the USB thingy, theres Vista drivers here http://ms.nintendo-europe.com/software/nintendods/winxp/en/index.htm

Err what does the vista dilemma have to do with the office trial version?

Anyway, stick with vista. I just got a new computer myself, and I am pleasantly surprised at vista. It seems stable enough, it's pure eye-candy, and there are some pretty nifty features - plus, whether you like it or not, vista is the future... As long as you have a decent version of vista (i.e. not home basic) I'd stick with it.

Check your specs.If they all look good go ahead.If not don't bother,wait till your next computer

if you can upgrade,just do it now and get it over with.If you are good enough with computers i'm sure its nothing too series (i havn't updated yet...still need a CD and gotta check my specs...)

Either way,with DX10 being only available to Vista,i'm assuming XP will die soon when gaming companies start switching over.So either way since software itself will probably start to become exclusive soon,i'd say either get vista or get a new operating system.Any problems you have will probably be solved eventually,and theres never been anything so bad that it isn't playable.

and don't worry if software stops working...as long as it doesn't harm your internet (and if you have other computers this doesn't matter) or itself,you'll be fine.I can promise you after years of dealing with old stuff,theres always someone online with a solution to you're problem.

And as the nice arcanine has shown,theres one down ^^

I guess I will stick with Vista then. I'd just heard some bad rumors about it so I wasn't sure if it was worth it, sleek look or not (and it does look cool). I'm not a big computer person. I'll br picking up a copy of Vista Office soon at any rate.