• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Superior Beings

Aw, uncle Richter is afraid of heights, how cute. :p

Ah, now we have an explanation for many things. Team Epsilon has partners in other regions, making this takeover much easier. As for the Pokemon accepting their role of 'caught,' why are the Teams defying Arceus's will? Arceus wants the Pokemon to accept their roles, so why defy it?

Part Thirteen​

Perspective: Natalie

We travel from Veilstone City to Heathome City. Unfortunately, thanks to a bus breakdown, we were forced to go the rest of the way by foot, taking two days off my time limit. Now there are a couple days remaining until I have to get back to Oreburge. I gotta beat Hearthome Gym today, I only get one shot at this...

Hearthome City is a lot more peaceful than Veilstone: Not so many people, less noise, sure, it's not as gaudy, but it looks pleasant enough with a lot of log building around. It's... tranquil.

As for Hearthome Gym, well, it's a ghost-type gym, but the setup really took the concept far. The whole place is dimly lit, with the walls being painted with pictures of night: a whole lotta black, with a few stars and the moon. The floor is all dirt and grass, and decorated with tombstones, which I kinda doubt are real. I mean, what dead guy goes by the name, 'Pokedeath?' Finally, the students here are dressed up like skeletons, ghosts, vampires, and the like. Hell, all they're missing are their trick-or-treat bags.

As soon as we enter, Uncle Richter mentions how the decorations here poorly represent ghost-types. Until now, I believed they were what their type said they are: ghosts, as in the spirits of dead people, Pokemon, whatever. In fact, they are technically alive, but exist on a plane halfway between life and death, meaning, while they are not totally worldly, they are, in fact, tangible... whatever that word means; Richter said it, not me.

Ghost-types just get called 'ghost-types' because that's the most convenient word people can identify them with, just like how people just dump Pokemon that have no clear nature or alignment into the 'normal-type' category. He also mentioned that ghost-types are the only Pokemon, besides Legendaries, that are immortal.

When my challenge finally came along, I was confused by what the unique challenge is, exactly, because I was led to a waiting room, a tiny space, lit by a few candles, with little table in the middle, and was asked to write the names of my Pokemon on a piece of paper. With some reluctance, I did it, and then I was given another piece of paper, with six names on it. The guy who led me to the waiting room said that the Gym Leader here is a big fan of the Pokemon battles that go on at the Poketopia theme park, a fun place located on an island off Sinnoh's southern coast (I actually caught a distant glimpse of it from the beach outside Sunyshore), though I've never been to it, because you gotta be totally loaded just to spend a day there. It's supposed to have a bunch of rides, and many neat places to have battles. Why are the nice things so expensive...?

Where was I? Oh yeah, the rules for this gym battle. Focus, Natalie! Anyway, the battles that go on at Poketopia, and some exhibition Pokemon League battles, apparently, require the trainers to let their opponent know what Pokemon they have, and then choose their Pokemon, based on what the other's team looks like. Basically, I just told what my Pokemon are to the Gym Leader. I was temped to lie about it, but the gym official called me on that, saying that I'd be disqualified if I wasn't telling the truth. Oh well, at least I get to know which Pokemon the Gym Leader will be using ahead of time, though frankly, the list isn't telling me much. What I wouldn't give to have Uncle Richter's brain right now...

Haunter: I have no clue what a Haunter is...

Banette: I don't know what this is either. I know all of them are ghost-types, but I'm sure a few of them have a second type, and that's where I'm screwed, as this doesn't have the decency to tell me, or even give me a picture to work with...

Sableye: …

Rotom: …

The last two have stars next to them, with a description telling me that the Gym Leader will definitely be using one of these, but not both. Well, maybe this isn't a total loss after all...

Froslass: Finally something I recognize! One of Uncle Richter's Pokemon is Froslass, and I know it's an ice/ghost-type... However, my mind wanders back to the Pokemon Center in Veilstone, where Alice suggested that we take on the ice-type gym in Snowpoint, since three out of my four Pokemon have an advantage there. The Gym Leader, being an expert trainer and all, probably knows this, and would know better than to use Froslass for this battle. Sigh... I'm grateful for Uncle Richter's help, but maybe I should have taken up Alice on her suggestion after all. Somehow, I don't think Snowpoint Gym would frustrate me this much...

Mismagius: If my assumption about the Gym Leader not using Froslass is right, she'll definitely use this one... Too bad I don't know what a 'Mismagius' is...

The attendant standing by the door to the gym's arena, dressed up like a mummy, which is kinda sad-looking for a full-grown man, says, “You have two more minutes to make your choice. You are allowed three Pokemon. Choose well.”

“Yeah, yeah, I know!”

Great... All that list told me of was one Pokemon the Gym Leader probably won't use, but I don't know what to expect from the other five. Anyway, I'm not beaten before the battle even begins! I recall some of the advice I was given.

First, Uncle Richter reminded me of that time in the woods outside his cabin, where Flareon's, or rather Eevee's Shadow Ball didn't work on Starly and Spearow, saying that ghost-type attacks don't affect normal-types. Well, that same Spearow is mine now, all evolved, so I know one Pokemon to use. Richter also mentioned that ghost-type attacks are actually effective on ghost-types, so speaking of Shadow Ball, I'll use Flareon too! Lastly, Alice said that normal and fighting-type attacks don't work on Ghosts, but dark-type attacks work great. I was told Kabutops can learn a dark-type attack called Night Slash, but he's not strong enough to use it yet. However, Chan's good old Mach Punch probably won't work here, but Kabutops's Aqua Jet will. Alright! Pokemon number three is Kabutops!

“I've decided who I'm gonna use,” I tell the attendant.

“Good...” Suddenly, there is a faint beep coming from some device next to the door to the arena, “The Gym Leader is ready for you.” The door opens, the attendant steps aside, and I step out to an arena, which is more like the one in Oreburge Gym, as it's just as big and has seating overlooking the place. The only difference is that instead of the ground being made up of dirt and gravel, with crags shooting up, it's grassy, with a few fake graves spread around it. It looks like Oreburge was one of the good gyms, unlike Veilstone and this one, as I have to stand up! At least Oreburge gave me a rock to sit on...

Among the seating, besides the trick-or-treaters that work here, and a few other people who have come just for the show, I see Richter and Alice. This is my only chance at this place, I have to win, otherwise I'll have to wait a whole year!

On the other side of the arena, someone approaches, a woman with long dark hair, who is just about the only person here dressed like a normal person. She stops on her end of the field, stares at me for several second, and then shouts, “BOO!”

… Um, was that supposed to be scary, or something?

The Gym Leader looks genuinely surprised, “You didn't flinch at all! You are... deceptively courageous...”

Wow, I've been called a lot of things in my fourteen years, but 'courageous,' wasn't one of them, “Yeah, sure...”

Seriously, where does the Pokemon League get these people? Did she really rank high in a Championship Tournament some-odd years ago, acting like that all the time?

In an eerie calmness, which, to be honest, is a lot scarier than shouting 'boo,' the Gym Leader says, “Child... I take it you are here to take another big step toward competing in the upcoming tournament?”

“Well... yeah! I mean, why the heck else would I come here?”

What the hell? The Gym Leader is gradually turning from an un-scary joke into something that really makes me wanna run away in terror! She lets out a laugh that gives me the chills, “Heeheehee. HYAHAHA! So be it, child! You have won two badges already! Not bad, but anyone can win two badges! Here is where you prove you have what it takes! I hope your Pokemon are up for the challenge!”

“Um... hell yeah, they are!”

“Hahaha! Spirited! I like that! This match is three-on-three, switch-outs are permitted, without a limit!” I can switch out my Pokemon in this one? Okay!

We toss our Pokeballs into the field.

“Go! Kabutops!”

“Arise, Rotom!”

I send out Kabutops, while the Gym Leader sends out... something. Really, that's the best way to describe it. It looks like a floating red head, or something, with huge blue eyes, hovering above the ground. It's also glowing with some kinda power, though I can't tell what it is. Anyway, it doesn't look so tough. We can take it!

“Kabutops! Aqua Jet!”

“Quick, Rotom! Discharge!”

Kabutops's blades glow bright blue as he bolts toward Rotom with a jet of water behind him. However, as he approaches, Rotom's body starts to shake, and just as Kabutops moves in to strike, the ghost-type lets loose a surge of power. I see bolts and stuff... Oh crap! Is it an electric-type? Anyway, my Pokemon gets caught up in the attack just as he strikes, his claw just grazing Rotom before he gets blasted back.

Kabutops gets back upright after landing on his back, and is on one knee. He tries to get up, but he suddenly freezes and falls back down. Was he paralyzed? Well, I can switch out Pokemon in this battle, so I'd might as well do that. I hold out Kabutops's Pokeball and recall him.

Dammit, I did not predict this... Water-types are weak to electric attacks, and a sparring match with Richter's Jolteon told me that flying-types are not a good idea either. Flareon is the only Pokemon I have that's not at a type disadvantage against that... thingamajig...

“Go! Flareon!” I send out my fire-type.

What to do now... Quick Attack won't work, but... “Flareon! Attack with Shadow Ball!”

Flareon opens her mouth and fires a blast of 'ghost-type energy' at Rotom. However, the Gym Leader's ghost-type floats to the side, dodging it.

“Again, Flareon! Shadow Ball!”

“Rotom! Thunderbolt!” Rotom crackles with electricity, and releases a bolt of lightning. Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt clash, but the electric attack is apparently stronger and cancels out Flareon's attack. Luckily, Flareon seemed to take an early note that the power struggle didn't exactly go in her favor, and leaps out of the Thunderbolt's way, though her tail takes some of the attack.

There wasn't that much distance between Flareon and Rotom when my Pokemon used Shadow Ball. That thing's pretty fast! It seems the best way to hit it with Shadow Ball is to do it at point-blank, but how will we...? I come up with sort of an idea and decide to try a little experiment...

“Flareon! Quick Attack!”

Flareon quizzically glances at me for a spit second, but doesn't question it and does as ordered. Flareon rockets up toward Rotom, and, as I was expecting, passes right through it. “Quick, Flareon! Shadow Ball! Now!” Flareon whirls around in midair, faces Rotom's back, and fires a Shadow Ball.

“Roto!” Rotom screeches as steam bursts from its back. It seems to be struggling to stay afloat. Okay! One more attack should finish this one.

“Not bad...” says the Gym Leader, holding out a Pokeball, “Return, Rotom!” To my frustration, she calls back Rotom. I'm kinda starting to dislike these switch-out rules. The Gym Leader readies another Pokeball, and sends out her next Pokemon, “Mismagius!” A purple Pokemon, also hovering above the ground, which looks like it's wearing a pointed hat and cloak, along with a few red jewels circling its neck, appears, looking right at home with this Gym's Halloween theme. So that's Mismagius, huh? It looks like I was right about the Gym Leader not using Froslass, not that knowing really helps me much...

Whatever Mismagius is, it's still a ghost-type, and it's obvious what Flareon's best attack will be on it, “Shadow Ball!” Flareon fires another Shadow Ball attack up toward Mismagius.

“You too, Mismagius,” orders the Gym Leader, “Show them what a ghost-type attack from a Ghost is like!” A large ball of ghost-type energy builds up in front of Mismagius and it flies down at Flareon.

Two Shadow Ball attacks fly at one another, and for the second time in this battle, collide and struggle to overpower one another. However, Mismagius's Shadow Ball is bigger, and I know Flareon's attack is outmatched.

Mismagius's attack plows through Flareon's, and my Pokemon isn't fast enough to escape the attack. Flareon is sent flying by the force of the blast, but she gets back up. Dammit. Right now, Flareon looks like my best chance, since she has an attack these ghost-types are weak against. I guess I'll use the tactic that worked so well on Rotom.

“Quick Attack, Flareon!” Flareon dashes straight at Mismagius.

“Psychic attack!” Mismagius emits a faint pink glow, and Flareon is suddenly brought to an instantaneous stop, and slowly floats off the ground. The Gym Leader smiles a little too sweetly, “Did you really think the same tactic would work twice?”

“Dammit!”

Flareon floats about eight feet off the ground, before rocketing downward and slamming the ground hard. The fire-type gets back to her feet, but then her strength then gives out and she collapses.

I recall Flareon. Shoot! I'm down to two, and all three of the Gym Leader's Pokemon: Rotom, Mismagius, and whatever, are still standing. I need to do some catching up...

Mismagius seems way tougher than Rotom, so I don't think Kabutops will last long in his condition. I guess I know what that means...

“Go! Fearow!” Fearow appears and faces off against Mismagius. At least Shadow Ball won't work this time... I still have a chance. Fearow is immune to ghost-type attacks, and he knows a dark-type move. We can do this!

“Fearow! Pursuit!” Fearow envelopes himself with dark energy, and flies toward Mismagius.

“Counter with Thunderbolt!” commands the Gym Leader. Mismagius's body crackles with electricity and it releases a bolt of lighting in Fearow's direction. Oh crap. I should have figured, after that fight with the Starmie, that Pokemon can pull off unexpected moves like that!

"Hey! Watch out!" I call out.Luckily, Fearow manages to make a fast aerial maneuver and avoid taking the full force of the electric attack, and my bird Pokemon tears through the ghost-type. Mismagius lets out a spine-chilling shriek.

“Awesome work!” I encourage Fearow, “But don't stop there! Hit it again with Drill Peck!” After a swift U-turn, Fearow thrusts his beak at Mismagius, using his long neck to put a twist into it. The attack sinks into the center of Mismagius's body. The ghost-type seems to be struggling to stay conscious. All right! This battle just may be turning around!

However, whatever good feeling I'm having is suddenly cut short but the Gym Leader's expression. She doesn't look like the battle's starting to turn against her. Rather... she's smiling, “Well done, Mismagius. You fought well. Finish this with Destiny Bond.”

Mismagius's arms reach out and embrace Fearow. Both Pokemon start to glow with a dim purple light. Mismagius loses the rest of its strength and falls to the ground, but I notice that the flapping of Fearow's wings to stay afloat is getting slower and slower, and finally, my Pokemon crashes to the ground. He's not getting up.

“Okay, very funny, Fearow,” I say, “You've got a one-of-a-kind sense of humor, but we still have a battle to win, alright?” Fearow's still not getting up. What the heck just happened?

“He's down,” says the Gym Leader, like she just read my mind as she recalls Mismagius, “Mismagius used Destiny Bond. When she lost the will to keep fighting, so did Fearow.”

That's so cheap... … Damn! Now I'm down to Kabutops, and he's not holding up too good...

I recall Fearow, and send out my last Pokemon. Kabutops take the field. As for the Gym Leader, she sends Rotom out again.

Both Pokemon are weakened and tired. I order Kabutops to do the only attack I think will do any good right now, “Aqua Jet! Now!” Kabutops dashes toward Rotom, claws glowing blue and propelled by a boost of high-pressured water.

“Rotom, Sucker Punch!” orders the Gym Leader. Rotom vanishes and reappears right in front of Kabutops, who, caught completely off guard (I know I was, just watching it), comes to a sudden stop. Well, Rotom doesn't throw a punch, as the attack's name suggests, but it does slam into the Kabutops, and sends him flying and crashing through one of the decorative gravestones. Kabutops tries to recover, but it's no good. He's down...

“Damn it...” I recall Kabutops. I lost... without even seeing the Gym Leader's third Pokemon...

---

Perspective: Richter

After healing Natalie's Pokemon at the Center and eating dinner, we find a quiet place on a cliff right outside the city, with a bench conveniently placed there. The sun is starting to set, and the cliff looks out directly at the horizon, plus there's a cool and gentle breeze. This looks like a great place for couples to go. For some reason, Alice's face flashes through my mind when I make that observation. Heh. That's a good one, brain...

Alice and I put our money together to buy three ice creams from a stand, Natalie and Alice's flavors being vanilla, and mind being strawberry. Yum.

As expected, seeing how gracefully she loses Pokemon battles, Natalie has barely spoken ever since losing the match. I guess I can understand why. She missed her one and only chance to get a victory over Hearthome Gym under her belt, and tomorrow, she has to return to Oreburge. If only that bus hadn't broken down, we would have had a second chance at the Gym. Most of the trainers on the bus took it as a sign, and decided to brave the wilderness, as it gives their Pokemon a great chance to train. Of course, we followed suit, but that delayed our arrival at Hearthome. I thought the training would do Natalie well for the Gym, but... well...

This is my fault... If only I just gritted my teeth and tried to Fly again... Natalie could have beaten Snowpoint Gym for sure, and she might have even had time to try her luck against a fourth gym. Instead, because I'm such a coward, she had to encounter a gym where she had no real advantage. Alice was right all along...

Beating myself up aside, we need to cheer Natalie up, hence the ice cream and sunset.

Natalie, Alice, and I sit together on the bench and look at the sunset, which looks better than any of the pictures I'd seen in my books.

“Isn't it beautiful?” Alice asks Natalie, “This is the prettiest sunset I'd seen in a long time!”

Natalie, who's gaze is more focused on her ice cream, flatly says, “Yeah, sure...”

She's still depressed. I try my hand at cheering her up, “Um... This ice cream is... exquisite! We should remember this place!”

“Great acting, Uncle Richter. You should be on TV, or something.”'

… and she comes back with the sarcasm. Wonderful.

Alice tries to put a reassuring hand on Natalie's shoulder, but she just slaps it away, “Don't touch me.”

“Don't be this way,” says Alice, “You did really well.”

“You don't need to lie, just to make me feel good.”

“I mean it!” insists Alice, “I lost three times before I beat Hearthome Gym.”

“And I'd never beaten Hearthome,” I add, “I tried.”

Alice continues, “Well, it was a higher level match, but it took me a while to do it, and the first two battles were much more one-sided than yours was. Natalie, on your first try, you nearly took down two of the the Gym Leader's Pokemon. That's a pretty impressive accomplishment.”

Natalie at least stops looking at her ice cream, “Really?”

“Yeah,” responds Alice, “Ghost-types are pretty tough. Mismagius, Spiritomb, Dusknoir... They are all very hard to beat if you don't have a Pokemon with a complete advantage over them, and yet, you almost beat two with none of that going for you. You're doing way better than I did. Of course, I didn't have a brainiac uncle holding my hand, or someone to constantly help me train either...” She lets out a self-deprecating laugh.

“You really mean that?” asks Natalie.

“Totally! This is just a minor setback, that's all! Next summer, you're gonna be winning badges left and right!”

Natalie finally gives us something resembling a smile, “Yeah... Yeah! You're right!”

“You could have easily won a badge elsewhere,” I say, “Next year, I promise I'll make it up to you. Listen, Natalie. Whenever you have the time during school, train, and train hard. It will make all the difference.”

“Okay!” says Natalie with a nod and some new-found passion in her eyes, “I'll do that, and next year will be my year!”

“Well said,” says Alice, “I'm getting excited just thinking about it!”

I can feel myself grinning. I have to admit... the enthusiasm's rubbing off on me as well.

---

The next day, Natalie and I head to the bus station. We tried to get Alice to come along, but she's sleeping too heavily. Oh well, she can take the next bus to Oreburge.

After a half-hour of waiting, Natalie's bus arrives, and people start boarding.

“Thank you for everything, Uncle Richter,” says Natalie, “I never would have made it as far as I have without you.”

Humbly, I respond, “I'm sure you would have figured most of that stuff out. I just helped you out with it a bit. The badges you earned was all because of your skill as a trainer.”

“Still, thank you. I'm... really gonna miss you, Uncle Richter...”

“It's just a few months. It'll go by faster than you think.”

“Yeah...”

“Hey Natalie...” I pause for a few seconds, “Next year... how would you like to battle gyms in another region?”

“Sounds awesome! Which region?”

“How does Johto sound?”

“Alright! I'm really looking forward to it!”

“Last call for Oreburge!” calls out the bus driver.

“I gotta get going...” says Natalie.

“Alright,” I say, “Study hard... and train just as hard!”

“I will! Goodbye, Uncle Richter!” Natalie runs to the bus. Before long, the bus departs, and I catch a last glimpse at my niece in one of the windows.

'Thank you for everything, Uncle Richter,' huh? I'm the one who should be thanking her. If not for Natalie, I... I wouldn't have regained my passion as a trainer...

Well, I guess I got wake Alice up, so we can go our separate ways as well, and then return to Solacean and return to my job, but now training in my free time...

By the time I'm halfway back to the inn, I run into Alice, who's looking a little droopy-eyed, “Mornin', Richter!” she says with a deep yawn, “Did Natalie leave already?”

“Yeah.”

“Why didn't you wake me? I wanted to see her off!”

“We did, but you were so sound asleep, nothing worked. Besides, you can see Natalie after you return to Oreburge.”

“What are ya talking about, Richter? Who said I'm going back to Oreburge?”

“I... just figured...”

“I was fired from my job there. All I have left in Oreburge is a cheap apartment, which I'm gonna get evicted from anyway, and Raoul's stupid marriage proposals.”

“Okay... What will you do?” I ask quizzically.

Alice gives me a toothy grin, “Live with you, of course!”

I can feel my cheeks getting hot, “Excuse me? What makes you think I'm going to agree to this?”

Alice looks straight into my eyes and I reflexively look away from her, “What's the matter? You gotta problem with hanging with a beautiful girl like me? Besides, if you want, I'll just get a place of my own in Solacean Town. All I want is you nearby.”

“Why?”

“'Why?' To train, of course! Helping Natalie get stronger was well and good, but summer's over and school's back in session. It's time for us to prepare for the tournament. Two years'll go by faster than you think! From now, until next summer, Richter, our Pokemon are gonna spar every single day.”

“I see your point, Alice. Okay, let's return to Solacean.”

Alice smiles sweetly, “You made a fine choice, Richter.”

I smile back, trying to match Alice's expression, “Oh, and one more thing: You'd better not freeload off me. You're going to find a job, make your own ends meet, and get a place of your own. I can barely make a living by myself.”

Alice's smile disappears, and she sighs, “Yeah... sure thing, 'dad.'”

Heh... Well, it looks like I won't be getting any rest anytime soon...

EDIT: I originally wrote this when it was late and I was getting a tad tired, and when I looked over it, something was off about the writing. It looks like I wasn't very descriptive during the battle. I went back and added more details, so I hope it turned out better this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part Fourteen​

Perspective: Natalie

Oreburge High School... A school with about five-hundred students attending. Since Oreburge is mostly mining and business, a lot of the people here come from out of town, instead of actually living here, hence the small amount of students. It's still a larger student body than the private schools around, and we don't have to wear uniforms.

The school itself is a wide, two-floor brick building, painted white, and roughly shaped like an F. Around it are the usually sporting areas: a football field, a track, a few baseball fields, a couple Pokemon battlefields...

Students are either gathered in front of the school or entering the building as I approach, trying to accept the fact that hanging out with Richter and Alice, training my Pokemon and battling Gyms is officially over... and it's back to school, where the only subject I'm really good at is English... vocabulary in particular...

Well, the sooner it starts, the sooner it ends. I approach the building which is going to be my most familiar place for the next several months.

“Heeeeey~! Natalie~!”

“Skaaaaaaaa!”

I look up to see something in the sky come down right in front of me. It's my friend, Maria, riding that metal bird I saw her with back in Veilstone... I think she called it Skarmory. A few students nearby take a brief look at the bird Pokemon. Well, Maria's Skarmory is the first Skarmory I'd ever seen, so I guess it's pretty rare.

Maria hops off Skarmory, and recalls it back to its Pokeball. Of course, school rules forbid students from having all but a few small Pokemon out of their Pokeballs indoors.

“Hey there, Maria,” I greet.

Maria, as talky as ever, says, “Hey, Natalie! It's great too see you again. School has started again. It's hard to believe. It kinda sucks, since I was on a roll too...”

“'A roll?'” I ask, “What do you mean?”

“I won three badges. I got my first at Veilstone City, but you know that already. I got my second at Hearthome City. It was a tough battle, but I won. I knew I didn't have much time left, so I decided to take your uncle's friend... which I guess makes her your friend... up on her suggestion, and battled Eterna Gym next. It was easy for my Fliers, and I got my third badge! I was doing great!”

“Your third badge?” I grumble, “Congratulations.” Dang... Even Maria's ahead of me...

“Thanks!” says Maria graciously, “What about you, Natalie? How did you do?”

“I got two badges...” I half-whisper, feeling inferior.

“Really? I know one's from Oreburge, but what about the other?”

“Veilstone,” I answer, “I got mine right after running into you over there. I lost my third battle...”

“Where was that?” asks Maria.

“Hearthome,” I respond.

Maria nods in understanding, “Oh... Well, that was my second Gym battle, but I found it harder than even my third battle, and you had a two-badge battle there. I probably would have lost myself, if the Gym Leader didn't hold back as much as she did... There's nothing to be ashamed of...”

“I'd rather have taken on Snowpoint,” I say, staring at the ground, “But... stuff happened...”

“I see,” says Maria nodding slowly, “Well, there's next summer...”

“I know...”

Maria puts a comforting hand on my shoulder, “If you want, we can train together when we have the time. Does that sound okay?”

“That sounds wonderful.”

“Awesome!” Maria turns around, with a swish of her hair in the direction of the school's entrance, “Well, let's get to class. We don't wanna be late on the first day back...”

“Yeah...”

As we're about to start walking, however, we see two people heading toward the school. One of them is a boy with shiny blonde hair, wearing clothes that look like they would cost a bundle to buy. The other is a brown-haired man with a trimmed mustache and beard, wearing clothes that looks as pricy as what the boy is wearing, plus he also has a long black coat slung over his shoulder instead of wearing it, probably because today is pretty hot. The man was smoking a cigar before stomping it underfoot when entering the building. For some reason, a lot of students are watching them... well, the man, at least, although I'm more focused on the boy, because he's really good-looking.

“Who are they?” I ask, “I haven't ever seen that boy here before. Is he a new student?”

Since Maria's always ready to talk, I expect her to give me a lengthy response, but all I get is silence.

“Maria?” I turn to see my friend look absolutely starstruck, “Oh... my... god! That's Raoul! He looks more badass in real life than he does on TV!”

“Raoul?” I remember Uncle Richter and Alice talking about him, though they weren't exactly singing his praises like Maria is.

Maria looks shocked, “What? You don't know who Raoul is? Do you even watch TV?”

“Um, no.”

Maria sighs, “He's the coolest trainer ever. He has a Pokemon battling show, and he always wins, and all his Pokemon are just as hardcore!”

“Um... yeah... right... Anyway, who's the boy that was with him? His son, or something? Raoul looks too young to have a kid our age...”

Maria pouts, “He'd better not be! If Raoul's married, I'd...”

“Yeah, whatever, fangirl...”

The school's bell chimes.

“Let's go!” I say, “We don't wanna be late for our first class!”

Maria, breaking out of whatever daydream she's having, responds, “Oh! Right!”

We rush to our first classes, with the two of us parting ways inside the building.

---

My first class of the day, luckily enough, is a survival class, which is supposed to cover stuff people gotta do when spending more than just a few days in the great outdoors.

I bet this is the high point of a school day. With math, history, and English to follow, it's all downhill from here...

I'm sitting at a desk toward the front of the room, which seriously looks like it could use some reconstruction (some people call old buildings traditional. I call them inferior). I'd rather have taken one in the back, but too many other students arrived before I did.

Our teacher arrives, a middle-aged lady. She starts the class with the typical opening lecture, “Welcome to survival class. Here, we are going to learn all the essentials to life in the great outdoors, like how to start a campfire, how to hunt and cook, and which Pokemon to use when you are attacked by a wild one...” Jackpot! I just might be able to use some of the stuff I learn here.

The teacher then moves on to change the subject, “Before we begin, however, there is a new student joining us here at Oreburge High.” She gestures toward the door as the boy from earlier, and Raoul, walk in. There is some light murmuring, especially among the girls of the class.

“Introduce yourself,” says the teacher.

“Um, yes...” says the boy nervously, “My... name is Glenn. It's... quite an honor to be here.”

Raoul speaks up, “C'mon, boy! Show a little more spirit! You're gonna be world-famous someday!”

“I-I'm terribly sorry, father,” responds Glenn.

Raoul shakes his head, “Don't say sorry! If ya want people to like you, ya gotta act tough!”

“I-I'll try...”

Raoul steps forward, definitely dissatisfied with his... 'son's' intro, “Listen up, class. My name is Raoul, and if you're worth anything, you should know who I am! During the next Sinnoh Championship Tournament, I will become Champ, so knowing that, you'll all become rich if ya bet on me!” Does he even realize we're not the legal gambling age? More importantly, I haven't even talked to him directly, and I'm already turned off by his arrogance. It looks like Richter and Alice were right about this guy, “Glenn here, my adopted son, is my heir to the throne, and he will become Champ after my time has passed! Isn't that right?”

Glenn stammers, “Well, I will try my--” Raoul nudges Glenn, “Y-yes, I believe so...”

“Damn straight, boy. He'll become the most powerful trainer in Sinnoh, and maybe even the world, so you'd all better be nice to him and worship the very ground he walks on!”

The teacher speaks up, “Yes, thank you, Mr. Raoul. It's... a real honor for you to be here with us, but I have to begin my class.”

“Of course ya do,” sneers Raoul, “Okay, learn lots, boy..” He pats his son on the back and leave the room.

“Take whichever empty seat you like,” the teacher instructs Glenn. Without a word, Glenn occupies one of the desks at the front of the room, as those are mostly empty.

The class begins. The teacher spends the first half of the class talking in disturbing detail what can happen to people out in the wild when they don't have Pokemon to protect them. First class, and I'm already gonna have nightmares. Great.

The teacher then gives us bunch of examples of what Pokemon are weak against what. She mentions something about dragon-types being weak to ice-types, and all of a sudden, I want a dragon-type, since something like that sounds powerful, and I have three Pokemon to back it up if the opponent decides to bring out an ice-type.

One of the students behind me taps my shoulder, and sneaks a piece of paper to me. Secret notes? Aren't we getting a little old for this?

I look at the paper. It has a badly drawn picture of Glenn on it, along with a bunch of stuff describing him, mostly derogatory, written by various students, I guess, judging by the handwriting, like 'Lame Rich Kid Glenn' or 'Stupid Show-off.' There's even a cartoon bubble coming from the picture saying, 'I am the great Glenn. My dad is Raoul. Love me, worms!' I crumple up the piece and stuff it in my pocket. Was it obvious only to me that Raoul was trying to push his image onto Glenn? Besides, labeling him 'rich kid' of all things, just shows that they're jealous, if anything.

I glance over at Glenn, who is probably oblivious to any of this, and is now probably going to be the victim to some serious bullying. It didn't help that he looked so meek compared to Raoul acting like a big-shot.

---

The rest of the classes go by, none of which were nearly as interesting a survival class. Since this is the first day of school or something, the teachers didn't hand out any homework, which is totally swell because I hate homework, and it gives me more time to get some training done. All day, I saw Raoul around the school, probably waiting for his next big chance to introduce and unintentionally humiliate Glenn.

The last bell rings and I leave the building to go straight home. A bunch of student rush out the catch the bus, while others chat amongst themselves over stuff probably less interesting than Pokemon. Maria catches up with me, just as I'm at the bottom of the stairs to the school's front door, asking, “How were your classes? Were they fun? Are they easy?”

“So-so,” I answer, “I have one good class.”

“That's too bad. Oh well.”

“Oh well.”

Maria's face lights up, “Still, this is the best first day ever! Raoul was around all day!” Maria reaches into her book bag and pulls out a scrap of paper, with the name, 'Raoul,' written in sloppy cursive, “He even gave me his autograph!”

“What's so great about him?” I ask, “Sure, I guess he's appealing in a 'bad boy' kinda way, but he has the worst personality I'd ever seen. He's so... full of himself...”

Maria takes a moment to consider this, “Really? On his show, he keeps seeming to go for this really badass image, even all his Pokemon are strong, cool-looking, and fearsome to match, but I thought it was all an act. Y'know, trying to portray himself as a character. I didn't think he'd be like that in real life...””

“Didn't Glenn appear in any of your classes?”

Maria tilts her head to the side, “Who's Glenn?”

I nod, “I'll take that as a 'no.' It's the kid that was with him this morning. He introduced him to my class. Glenn seems to be a shy and gentle kid, but Raoul kept insisting on him acting like he does. It was... disgusting, really.”

“Darn...” says Maria, “That's no good. He seemed so nice when he wrote me his autograph...”

“Even if I were an egomaniac,” I say, “I think I'd be nice to someone who considers herself a big fan of mine.”

“That makes sense.” Maria sighs, “Oh well, at least his show's still cool, even if he's kind of a jerk in real life...”

Changing the subject, I ask, “Do you have any homework?”

Maria shakes her head, “No...”

I smile as brightly as I can, “Well, alright! Should we go to my house and have our Pokemon train against each other some?”

“Sure!” says Maria, “I'd be happy to!”

We walk away from the school. Observing my surroundings, I look to the right to see Raoul, hidden from plain sight behind a small hedge, with his back pressed against a wall at the corner of the school building, and peeking around the corner like he's spying on something. Other students seem to notice, but just keep walking. Why is a celebrity like him sneaking around? What is he looking at, out of sight? Considering that he's been nothing but bad news today, I feel I should at least look. I run over in that general direction.

“Huh? Where are you going, Natalie?” calls Maria behind me.

“I'm just checking something!” I call back.

I cut across the grass, well off the paved walkway and run to the side of the school. The side of the school, immediately around the corner, has a blind spot from the windows, so no one inside the building can see what's going on there. That's where I see Glenn surrounded by five boys, all of whom I'd seen around school, and hate because all they ever do is whine about how much school sucks and pick on smaller, nicer kids... and that looks exactly what's going on between Glenn and them right now.

What the hell is Raoul doing? Why isn't he defending his son? I run up to Raoul and ask him the exact words on my mind: “What the hell are you doing? Why aren't you defending your son?”

Raoul glares at me, and I gotta admit, with his steely expression, I sort of get why Richter was so afraid of this guy, growing up, “What business is it of yours, girl?”

I clench one of my fists and grit my teeth. I need to stand up to him. This should be easy after I tried to stand up to those Team Epsilon guys in Veilstone, “I'm... I'm making it my business, because you're not making it yours... and you should!”

Raoul shakes his head, “Hmph. If you really wanna know, a lesson's gotta be learned here. I'm sure those boys will piss off Glenn enough that he will snap and start telling them off. If Glenn's gonna have my hardcore image, he's gotta learn to deal with other humans when they give him crap. Not just Pokemon.”

“Well, if you're not gonna do anything...” I rush out of hiding. The boys have now pushed Glenn over onto his front and are weighing him down with two Geodudes. How did one of those morons pass the license exam? Ah, it doesn't matter! One of the boys is pressing his shoe down on Glenn's head.

It's me against five bullies. Yikes... I have to remind myself of the Team Epsilon thing again to let myself that know that I'd gone through worse.

I clench both of my fists and steel myself to avoid stuttering. I gotta show I'm the strongest-willed one here, “Hey! Leave him alone, you morons!”

“What did ya say?” says one of bullies.

Another bully says, “You got some major nerve. I kinda like that! How about a date cutie-pie?”

Ugh! The pickup line. I was expecting that, and considering that guy has a face closely resembling that of a lungfish and seriously needs to cut back on the candy bars, it's even less pleasant. “Here's an answer that any girl with sense would give you: no.”

“You're starting to piss me off!” growls one of the bullies, “Let's show this bitch what happens when people mess with us!” He extends his hand and that can only mean one thing. I reach down to my belt in anticipation, “Geodude! Yeah, both of ya! Tackle attack her!”

The two Geodude start charging at me. Of course, they're as slow as ever and I have enough time to send out a Pokemon to counter them, “Go! Kabutops!” Kabutops appears, one of the Geodudes slams into Kabutops, by my water/rock-type isn't the least bit phased. The other Geodude freezes, not knowing how to react.

“Aqua Jet!” I command. Kabutops bolts forward, slicing through the two Geodudes, knocking them out instantly. My Pokemon stops just short of the bullies and Glenn. The punks freeze as Kabutops approaches them. Good. I've got the power now. I walk up to my Pokemon casually saying, “So, you like to sic Pokemon on humans? That looked pretty fun. I guess I'll do the same.” I pat Kabutops's shoulder, and he slowly advances on the bullies.

“Let's get the hell outta here!” screams one of the bullies as he runs away at a speed I didn't thing humans, especially of his size, were capable of. The other punks do the same, leaving the fallen Geodudes behind. Some trainers...

I kneel down next to Glenn, “Hey? You alright?”

Glenn slowly rises, “I... think so...”

I help Glenn to his feet, “Try to stand up for yourself. Punks like them are weak people who pick on people they think are helpless. If you fight back, they won't give you a hard time.”

“I... just didn't want to make enemies out of them...”

“You did without doing anything.”

“The little lady's right,” says an approaching voice: Raoul, “If you had just been as manly as me, and told the lot of 'em off, they would have gone running. When they bring out their Pokemon, bring out yours. You've trained under my supervision, and your Pokemon are far better than some two-bit Geodudes.” Raoul lightly kicks one of the fainted Geodudes.

Glenn bows his head, “My apologies, father! I promise I will do better next time.”

Raoul glances at me and Kabutops, “As for the two of you...”

“Y-yes?”

Raoul nods approvingly, “You have a Kabutops. Not a bad find, not bad at all, and perfectly befitting of my image... and today may be a lucky day for both of us.”

“What are you talking about?” I inquire.

Raoul pulls a Pokeball from his belt, “This here is a rare Pokemon I'd recently won as a first place prize in a contest in Kanto. Combat-wise, it has a lot of potential, but, appearance-wise, it doesn't quite live up to the hardcore image I'm cultivating, you get what I'm saying? I will give you this Pokemon in exchange for your Kabutops. Do we have a deal?”

I shake my head, “No thanks...” I recall Kabutops back to his Pokeball.

Raoul's eyes narrow, “Hmph! Figures...” He glances at Glenn, “Let's go, boy.”

“Y-yes, father.”

As Raoul and Glenn leave, I call out, mostly from curiosity, “Hold on!”

Raoul looks back, “What is it, girl? You change your mind?”

“No, I... just have a question...”

“Ask away.”

“Does the name, Richter, mean anything to you?”

Raoul grins almost malevolently, “It does, though it sure doesn't mean much. What's it to you, anyway?”

“I'm his niece. He's been helping me train.”

Raoul bursts out laughing, “Hahahaha! So you're the one he's been mentoring? Maybe it's a good thing we didn't trade after all! Anything he plays a part in training is bound to be worthless! If you're in any way smart, girl, you'd ditch that fool and learn from a real trainer, like me.”

This makes me snap, “What do you know? Uncle Richter is a better trainer than you ever were or will be!”

Raoul chuckles, “Blind loyalty... how funny. If you were to look into the facts, you'd know that Richter had never beaten me in a battle; not a single one, and you have to audacity to say that he's better than me? He even teamed up with lovely little Alice against me a few months back and couldn't win... and both of them has the type advantage. You gotta work on the old brain, missy.”

“He'll get stronger and he'll put you in your place! He's going to be in the Sinnoh Championship Tournament too!”

Raoul just smiles, “'In my place,' huh? By the time the Tournament comes along, even Glenn here could beat him...” Raoul's face lights up, “Hm... I just got a most brilliant idea. How about a match, girl? You VS Glenn; Richter's student VS my student. How about it?”

“I'd... rather not,” says Glenn.

“You're going to do it and you're going to like it,” says Raoul flatly.

“Yes, father.”

“Fine,” I say, “I'll show you whose mentor is the 'worthless' one!”

Raoul gives me a sideways glance, “You got some mouth, girl. How about I make things interesting: If you win, which I doubt you will, I will just give you that Pokemon I offered you before, instead of having you trade for it. How about it?”

“Fine,” I say, “If you're going to judge whether or not to use it by by what it looks like, it's probably better off out of your hands.”

Glenn steps forward, “I've won three badges so far. How about you... um...”

“Natalie,” I introduce myself, “I'd won two badges, and I came close to winning my third.”

For the first time since I saw him, Glenn smiles, “I see. It looks like this will be an even match. That's good.”

“Are you done talking?” asks Raoul, “I don't feel like being here long, so how about we make this a one-on-one?”

“Sure,” I say. One-on-one... I just have to send out a Pokemon and hope I'm lucky on the type...

“That's fine,” says Glenn.

We both choose a Pokeball and send out our Pokemon.

“Go! Fearow!”

“It's time for battle, Skorupi!”

With a flash of light, Fearow appears in front of me. As for Glenn, he sends out a purple scorpion-like Pokemon, which is close to three feet long, with pointy blue eyes, two stingers on its forearms and a large claw on its tail. Since it's a scorpion, I bet it's a poison-type, but I don't know much else to expect.

Glenn is starting to look a tad disheartened, “It's a flying-type! This isn't good...”

Raoul lights a cigar, “Don't let it get you you, Glenn. A little type disadvantage won't stop you.”

“Okay...” Glenn extends his arm toward Fearow, “Skorupi! Poison Jab attack!”

Skorupi rushes forward and jumps up toward Fearow with its stingers extended, but Fearow increases his altitude, avoiding the attack.

“Let's do this, Fearow!” I call out, “Aerial Ace!” Fearow dives at Skorupi, which is unbalanced after landing, slashes with his talons, and then finishes the combo with a quick peck. Smokes rises from the wounds that were inflicted.

“No! Skorupi!” yells Glenn.

Raoul calms smokes his cigar, observing the battle, “You do realize Fearow has an evolutionary advantage over Skorupi, don't you? How about evening the score?”

“Y-yes,” responds Glenn. That seriously isn't fair. I don't have anyone giving me advice... “Skorupi! Acupressure!” Skorupi presses its tail down on its back, and suddenly, its eyes start glowing. Just what is it doing?

“Alright,” says Glenn, “Now, Skorupi! Slash attack!” Skorupi suddenly zips over to Fearow and delivers a fast swipe with its tail claw. Fearow winces, but quickly recovers. What the heck? Skorupi just moved so fast, my eyes couldn't keep up! Just what did it do?

“Lucky shot!” I say, “Fearow! Fury Attack now!”

Fearow dives down at Skorupi and delivers a flurry of pecks, but the scorpion manages to dodge each one like it's coming from far away.

“Good job, Skorupi!” congratulates Glenn, “Now counter with Poison Jab!” Skorupi sinks one of its stingers into Fearow's chest. My bird Pokemon staggers back, and takes back to the air, but is now breathing fast and sweating a lot. Poison? Damn!

“Hang in there, Fearow!” I yell, “Just keep fighting until it gets to be too much, alright?”

“Fear...” Fearow nods.

Skorupi somehow made itself faster, and that will keep being a problem unless Fearow can match that speed.

“Fearow! Agility!” Fearow's pace quickens, and becomes faster than Skorupi. “Now, let's try it again! Fury Attack!” Again, Fearow dives at Skorupi, but this time, Fearow's increased speed overcomes Skorupi's evasiveness, and the scorpion Pokemon gets pounded repeatedly. The attack ends with Skorupi open for a final blow, “End this, Fearow! Drill Peck!” Fearow sinks his beak into Skorupi's back, and then twists it, intensifying the pain. With steam coming from the large puncture on its back, Skorupi faints.

Glenn recalls Skorupi, “Good job. You can rest now.”

Raoul sighs, “Did I honestly see that right? I could have sworn I taught you better than that, Glenn.”

Glenn lowers his head, “Sorry, father...”

I recall Fearow, “Don't worry, I'll get you to a Center soon.” I turn my attention to Raoul, “It looks like I overcame all odds and won that battle. Can I have my prize now?”

“Yeah, sure,” says Raoul, “I didn't want or expect you to win, but I am a man of my word...” He holds out his Pokeball and there is a flash of light. What appears is... I dunno what the heck that thing is! It's a blue and pink Pokemon, which looks a little like a... bird, or something. It has a beak, anyway, as well as a pointed tail and triangular 'feet' at its sides. Also, nothing on its body is... well, rounded. It's all flat surfaces and sharp angles. It doesn't even look like something made of flesh and blood. It seems mechanical, or something. This is the weirdest Pokemon I'd ever seen since Rotom.

Raoul says the the weird thing he sent out, “Awright, Porygon, you're getting yourself a new master.”

“Pory?” says the Pokemon in a scratchy, robotic voice.

Raoul points at me, “That little girl over there.”

'Porygon' turns to me and nods, “Gon porygon!”

Not knowing what to make of Team Natalie #5, I say, “Um... Hi. I'm Natalie.”

“Por.”

Raoul hands me Porygon's Pokeball and I recall it.

“Okay...” I say, “What is that thing, exactly?”

“A man-made Pokemon, Porygon the Virtual Pokemon” answers Raoul, “The result of many years of research by Kanto's Silph Corporation.”

“Right... so it's not even alive?”

Raoul chuckles, “Depends on your definition of 'alive,' I guess. It has feelings and all that, if that's what you mean. Anyway, the thing doesn't look tough, which is the reason why I didn't want it, but it can do a lot of things. It's a normal-type, but it can temporarily change to other types, like those of Pokemon nearby, plus, it's compatible with more TMs than I can count, so it can learn many attacks; It's the most versatile Pokemon there is. Also, it can enter and move around freely in cyberspace.”

“What's 'cyberspace?'” I ask.

“Look it up on your own time, girl. Let's just say it can enter a computer's network. At least you won't have virus problems.”

“Um... Thank you.”

“Don't go thinking I'm your friend,” warns Raoul, “I don't want to help anyone in league with Richter, but mommy always told me to keep my promises, so there you go.”

“Right...”

Raoul walks away, “We're going, Glenn.”

“Um... I'll catch up,” calls out Glenn, “There's something I wanna do first, okay, father?”

“Yeah, sure,” says Raoul as he turns the corner.

“Um... thank you for helping me,” says Glenn.

“Just try to stand up for yourself next time,” I say, “I don't want rescuing you to be a regular thing.” I start wondering if this is what school was like for Richter and Alice, with me playing Alice's role and Glenn playing Richter's role.

“I understand,” says Glenn, “and I'll try.”

“By the way,” I say, “You do realize that Raoul is trying to turn you into someone you clearly aren't, right? You should stand up to him too.”

Glenn shakes his head, “No. Father had helped me out a lot, and I owe it to him to do everything he tells me to. Goodbye, Natalie.” Glenn dashes away, trying to catch up with Raoul.

“What a hell of a first day this has been,” I think out loud, once Glenn is completely out of sight.

“Hey, Natalie!” Maria appears from around the corner.

“Hi, Maria...”

“I watched what went on...”

“Oh, you did?” I ask, “Thanks for coming to help when I was up against those bullies.”

“Sorry,” says Maria, “It looked like you had it under control. Anyway, you got a rare Pokemon out of it. That was pretty lucky.”

“I guess...” I walk back toward the front of the school, “Well, I gotta get Fearow patched up. Afterward, we can do some training, alright?”

Maria nods, “Yeah.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that Maria fangirl at least has a chance. XD

Raoul and Glenn seem at bit one-dimensional now, based off only a few traits. I'm sure you'll improve on their character, however.