• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The most annoying things

Surfing. IT'S MUCH TOO SLOW. ;___;

Caves. I hate them so much. >.>;; I HATE them.

The Sounds in general are annoying. I always leave the sound off and listen to music when I play Pokemon. ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
That would be the snow. They COULD at least try and make it realistic. Most of the time people don't slog through snow at 2 mph. >>

The snow actually doesn't annoy me that much since there are no random encounters (now THAT would've made it unbearable), but I am a bit surprised that they'd put in a segment like that and not give you the ability to pick up a snowshoe key item or something of the sort. That would've allowed people to actually enjoy the Snowpoint area xp

Anyways, something I've bitched about in the past was how FR/LG handled egg trading pre-national dex. Since breeding and hatching low leveled Pokemon is one of the greatest ways to play through a region with unique Pokemon, it really irks me when any of the Pokemon games block egg trading. I understand why they did it in FR/LG... I do... but that still doesn't change the fact that I would've found MUCH more usage out of them if I'd been able to trade through eggs/hatch/use Pokemon not in the Kanto Dex. Here's hoping no other standard Pokemon game does that again in the future >_>

Something else I found slightly annoying in D/P was the way the Gym set up was handled - namely Maylene and Crasher Wake, and Fatina and Byron. For the first two, their levels are the same, so regardless of which one you choose to fight first (which is typically always Maylene due to the regional set-up) the other leader ends up easier than it should be. I like a challenge when I play these games, and to me if my Pokemon are higher leveled than the leader's without even leveling up outside of standard trainer fights, things are too easy. Then we have Fatina and Byron's gyms... You beat one, fly to Jubilife, surf a VERY short distance while fighting a handful of trainers, then you're at the next gym. If you choose to take on Iron Mt. at that point it does space things out a bit, but since you don't have to I generally didn't (I'd do it after winning my badge). It's just all so very, very bad design-wise... From what I've read, tho, Platinum fixes this to a degree, so I'm very grateful.

Lastly... What Jeydis said is also something that grinds my nerves after awhile. I'm all for challenge, but when I hear someone say "I threw a single Ultra Ball at and caught it first try - still in the yellow, too!", and I have said legendary asleep, down to 1 HP, and still can't catch it after throwing 25+ different balls... really pisses me off xp It doesn't feel like a challenge anymore. It just feels like a waste of time >>

... and Pokemon FR/LG sucked for EV training (where's my Macho Brace, biatches?! >=O), and XD: Gale of Darkness should've had a wider range of available TMs to use. Making decent move sets in it during the main game was hell.

Alright, I'm done :p

I could rag on Zigzagoon for being all over Hoenn, but I think I'd rather register my unhappiness with the attack names of Gen IV, its moves no longer listed solely in capital letters.

I'm talking about AncientPower, BubbleBeam, DoubleSlap, DragonBreath, DynamicPunch, FeatherDance, GrassWhistle, PoisonPowder, SmellingSalt, SmokeScreen, SolarBeam, SonicBoom, ThunderPunch, ThunderShock and ViceGrip.

These just piss me off and I will continue to use the original, also referred to as the "sensible", spellings of these attacks, without those unsightly capital letters.

Well...there is a 12 character limit for any name in the game. That explains why it is like that. Otherwise, there would be a space.

Something really annoying, the favoured bias towards Lucario and some of the more often used Pokes concerning Platinum move tutors. That and illogical some of the moves they gave them are.

Well...there is a 12 character limit for any name in the game. That explains why it is like that. Otherwise, there would be a space.

Sure, and if there'd always been a space I'd see no reason to complain. But we've gotten used to spellings like Bubblebeam, Doubleslap and Vicegrip, from the TCG and virtually all other media including video game strategy guides and other official video game-related sources, and what I'm saying is it's really vexing now to see those spellings altered.

(Actually, Bubblebeam, Doubleslap, Smokescreen, Solarbeam, Sonicboom and Vicegrip could always have been spelled "Bubble Beam", "Double Slap", "Smoke Screen", etc., without breaking the twelve-character limit. I understand what you meant about the other names, though.)

I am really not fond of the slow pace for surfing in D/P. As someone said earlier, thank god it's not Hoenn. Still, I'm really glad that once you reach Victory Road, you have a Pokecentre there and then you can Fly there and save time.

I also hate stupid Event Pokemon. Living in Australia, there is absolutely NO chance to get any of them. If only they'd put a Pokecentre, like the one in New York, down in Sydney, I'd eagerly pay the price of a ticket down to get the Events.

Still, the one thing I absolutely HATE is the Underwater Music in R/S/E. It gets into your head and you can't get it out. When I was making and re-colouring the Underwater areas in my fan-region, it was in my head constantly.

Also, catching bloody legendary Pokemon. The average Pokeballs I would use would be aprox. 25-35, with two (one Ultraball, and one Pokeball for Mewtwo in LG, catching it in the Pokeball), being my least, and 60 (trying to catch bloody Entei in Crystal - stupid thing would keep on running after the turn I used to try and catch him), being my most. And the fact that you have to make it sleep or parylized and get the HP down to the red. Not to mention the bloody Snorlax!!!!!! Stupid freaking thing with bloody Rest! Just as I'd make it sleep and get it's HP down, it'd wake up, then use Rest and the whole thing'll start over. I must have used up about 50 Pokeballs in total, in groups of about 15, since I'd restart if I ran out of Pokeballs.​

P

Pokepok

I totally hate surfing in D/P. It is sooooo very slooow.
Then there is that awful snow. What is its use?? Why did they put it in??
Another thing that falls in the same category is the marsh. The makers thought,"Hey! Let's annoy the players a little more!! :D".

not to mention that stupid Magikarp Fisherman and that stupid cutscene in D/P before palkia.

A couple things I can think of as of right now, but will most likely edit later:

Surfing speed. Seriously they don't surf that slow in any movies/anime. They could have it where you press and hold b to surf faster, but thats just me.

Dark Caves/Use of Flash. I can understand the reasoning behind the move, and why the cave is dark to make it more realistic. But for the life of me, Flash itself as a move is just pointless as well as Defog. I can understand the use, but not the move.

Glass Flutes/Furniture. Back in R/S/E I thought the Flutes were pretty useful, getting my Pokemon out of confusion, sleep, etc instead of constantly buying items. The only thing that annoys me about them is the amount of steps you have to take to get each one. Once you make one, the count is back at zero.

Snowpoint Area, the route leading up to it. Going through the snow was very annoying. PLayers understand that in deep snow you move at a slower rate. But that whole space leading up to the snow storm could have been used way better so that players could enjoy that route more instead of dreading it.

The evil Team in every game planning on taking over the world. I seriously think it gets more pathetic with each new generation. Everyone seemed to use the main legendary from the game to take over the world. Though I'm not so sure about G/S/C.. R/S/E it was Groudon and Kyogre. D/P it was Dialga and Palkia. Plus the Team names in general have no creativity to them and are predictable.

1. Slow surfing- Well, I guess that's a major one...
2. Mespirit- I can't find the friggin' Pokemon Tracker, so I'm totally unprepared when I find Mespirit.
3. Victory road- Okay, yes, it's built to be challenging. But every new generation, it gets harder!
4. Fog- WHY? I hate the stupid stuff.

2. Mespirit- I can't find the friggin' Pokemon Tracker, so I'm totally unprepared when I find Mespirit.

The Pokemon Tracker you're referring to is the Marking Map (the Poketch app with the shapes at the bottom of the screen). You can get it from the Devon Corporation President after you've gotten your third badge which you have.

On topic: I was really annoyed by the fact that you couldn't ride your bike through the Lookout Stations in Diamond and Pearl because of the stupid bike music, but that will be rectified in Platinum.

focus stuff, if you are fighting in the battle tower, you think: "yay, i win" and then the focus thing, he have only one HP over and then beat you

I've got a good one.

When chaining, you head for the farthest grass away.

BOOM! Wild pokemon that didn't show up on radar. Chain got screwed. yeah.
That happened to me, I wanted to throw the game across the room. >>

((I was using a Cleanse Tag and Super/Max Repels >=O ))

Legendary Pokemon and Event Pokemon in particular. Yes, there are events on my continent but I'd have to buy a plane ticket to get there. Not to mention if you buy a game later, you have no chance of getting them unless hacked.

Also, the ridiculous power of legendaries. I mean, if Dialga can control time, why doesn't he simply stop time and take out his opponents?