• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Future Thread

What do you think is going to happen in the future? What are you hoping to happen in the future? Create timelines. Discuss the possibilities. And go as far into the future as possible.

I think the planet is going to be very samesy at least for this century. After that I can't really imagine what the planet would be like

I'm hoping we find some miracle cures and make major breakthroughs in science. And perhaps expand our living space onto other planets. As I imagine going between planets must be an amazing experience.

More wars, disease, & famine. Global warming continues to get worse. Increased crime rates, mass hysteria, mobs, murders and lynchings, vandalism, theft, rioting. Fossil fuels are used up. There will be many wars over selfish things, like land or religion. The world will go to hell.

Ok, now that we have that dreary version out of the way, I think there will be an advancement medically, such as a cure for cancer. Also, we will no longer rely on fossil fuels. Stuff people have only dreamed of, like flying cars or teleporters, might not be invented in this century, but it is probably not TOO far away. We could discover new planets/galaxies/space stuff, and we might colonize off of Earth, and even discover intelligent life on other planets.

This topic is complete insanity!

For the short term, I see the backlash against more technology becoming more pronounced. People are becoming a little more jaded with being connected all the time and putting all their personal junk on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, what have you. I'm not sure exactly what form that will take though. I don't see stuff like Facebook actually dying, but there could be reduced traffic or just different usage trends.

The idea of running out of fossil fuel doesn't bother me as much as it probably should. In the future, by the the time we come anywhere near close to running out of fossil fuels, I predict we'll get cars that are either far more gas efficient (like 40+ miles a gallon) or run off alternative fuel (like ShinyZekrom said).

And to get a bit more outlandish, I think the internet might very well become sentinent one day (barring some catastrophe that intellectually sets the planet back to the dark ages or something). Google is already leading the way after all. Okay maybe not, but only because I think people are way too paranoid about giving the internet THAT much power.

Hehe, I'm all about the insanity, Carmi ^^

But I agree that the digital world is becoming an ever growing presence, I was reading a book from the 90's and I think it is set around 2050 and there was an internet like presence in the form of virtual reality helmets allowing people to live in a digital world and being able to feel and interact with everything in this digital world. I found it an interesting premise, and I'm thinking it could become reality but I would place it at a later date.

There was also a small theme within the book about this internet being outlawed, and made me think that this also is possibility, y'know people fearing the internet becoming too powerful a presence, people becoming technophobes, etc. I wonder how far back that would actually set us.

My prediction for the future is that the economy will collapse hard. I'm not trying to scare anyone but I honestly feel that America will go apeshit over it and have Wannabe-Rambo's blowing anything that moves and just general chaos. I honestly believe a good portion of the populace will just shut down and just lose their minds from it. I've talked to a couple friends and associates from work who tried to tell me that they would be fine but honestly, they were lying through their teeth about being a badass. Americans worship technology like no tomorrow and once when the lights go down and that giant ass panic happens, shit will fly and hit the fan at the speed of smell but with I also believe that the economy will correct itself soonish, not in like three years but in like 25 years.

That's just my dark prophecy I have for worst case scenario. (If my next one isn't taken the wrong way)

One thing that I fear, and you might laugh, is the lack of fresh water, chocolate, helium, and coffee. We're actually running out of the stuff fast with no alternatives to them. A lot of people don't realize that coco beans and coffee beans only grow in a certain longitude area and we already mass fucking produce it like it's on fire and being put out by the fire fighters. The US has one of the biggest supplies of helium and we sell the shit like it's Tickle Me Elmo's after Christmas.

One thing I actually look forward to is the legalization of Hydrofracing in New York state. (or USSNY, the Unified Soviet States of New York) It'll potentially revitalize the economy here in NYS and eventually become a staple. That's if USSNY can get off it's fucking ass and stop being dumb.

I think the media and advertising is going to get more in your face. There are so many new ways to push things at people that they didn't have even just a few years ago. I don't know if I'm just crazy, but it seems like celebrities are more popular nowadays. One Direction is bigger than the Jonas Brothers ever were, and Kim Kardashian is bigger than Paris Hilton, despite the fact that they're pretty much aimed at the same market and do the exact same things. I think it's because it's so much easier to get stuff marketed to you now and a lot of people don't recognize advertising when it's being used on them.

I'm not really sure what I'm hoping for in the future. I guess I'd like to see the world be more open minded and less judgmental of people's differences and stuff like that. And obviously less war and hunger and things like that. Also if Mary Kate and Ashley made a new movie together preferably another one where they solved mysteries and sang that would be cool.

I see the Republican party in the United States splintering and falling apart in the near future -- the Tea Partiers won't keep calling themselves the GOP.

I don't think we'll outright cure cancer, because it's so complex, but I figure we'll develop tons of more treatments, and, hopefully, ones that aren't based on toxins and radiation.

Personally, I'm HOPING for a manned mission to Mars. But that might be wishful thinking.