• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Starter trios

In every region, there are three Pokémon to choose from. We each have our individual favorites to pick, but what about as a whole? Which region do you think has the best and/or worst trio of starters? I would say the best for me was Sinnoh's starters. I really like all three of them, and Sinnoh isn't even my favorite region. Torterra and Empoleon have unique typings, and Infernape is a beast overall. The worst imo is Kalos because none of them are really that special to me. I get what it was going for by basing them off of RPG classes, but I can't attached to any of them. I actually used to love Greninja until I used it more and more and it became less useful. Delphox is decent I guess and if Chesnaught learned more fighting type attacks, I would like it more.

So yeah, not a lot of people really talk about this and I want to hear what other people think.

I think for me it will always be Kanto. Not only because these were the original starters, but because they have never failed me. I wasn't impressed in the least with the Kalos starters final forms. After designs like Infernape and Blaziken, Delphox was a major let down. The same with virtually everything after Venusaur.

Though I did like the Sinnoh lineup. Torterra was an amazing design and finally a tortoise to go with our turtle (though called the tiny turtle, I classify it as a tortoise due to not being aquatic at all while most turtles can swim). Empoleon and Infernape were both fun to look at.

Even Unova's starters were actually pretty good. Serperior and Samurott being increasingly useful throughout the game.

But if we're being thorough, then Kanto also had the most starters. If we include Yellow version (I do since it was my first), then Pikachu and Eevee technically count as starters in the game universe. That gives a beginning electric type as well as a Pokemon that now can go virtually any type it wants!

My favorite starter trio are definitely the Hoenn Starters. I like all 3, especially Mudkip. In Pokemon X, I got a Torchic from an event that took place either in 2013, 2014, or 2015. Eventually, I evolved it into a Blaziken, who is currently at level 74. While I did really like Blaziken, Sceptile was the first Pokemon I got to level 100. Although I'm yet to have Mudkip in my team, I will when I get Pokemon Omega Ruby.

My favorite starters will always be the Kanto trio. I got to know them by watching the anime and I got Pokemon Yellow so I could have all three of them at once.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Grah, this is so hard to choose ;; on the one hand, I REALLY want to say Hoenn because they're really cute and I love their designs, but the Sinnoh starters also have many of my favorites. Then there's the Kanto starters, and suddenly I feel like it's almost impossible to choose because I just love these regions' starters so much ahhhh ;;

I think I'm gonna have to go with the Sinnoh starters this time, surprisingly (since I tend to pick Hoenn 90% of the time for these kinds of questions). I dunno, I just really love all three of the starters and I'd definitely cycle between them if I had actually enjoyed playing Pearl back in the day.

I usually judge whether I like a starter based on their final evolutions. That said, my favourite trio is most definitely the Sinnoh starters. Their secondary types are great, their designs are creative, and I can imagine myself using any one of them. Kalos starters are second, however. I love their designs and typing as well.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I think I'd also have to choose the Kanto starters as my top favourite trio, partially for nostalgia but mostly because I simply really like them. Bulbasaur/Charmander/Squirtle and Ivysaur/Charmeleon/Wartortle all have great designs, and I still to this day adore Charizard. Blastoise and Venusaur I'm fairly neutral on but overall I like both of them. What Venusaur lacks in design it makes up for in usability, too. I love that bulky brute.

I'm also very fond of the Sinnoh trio, especially their basic stages and final stages. Turtwig and Chimchar and adorable, and Piplup isn't bad either. I've long felt that Torterra, Infernape, and Empoleon all look amazing, too, despite me not often training Empoleon. I tend to get a bit put off it due to Prinplup (never cared much for it) and its move pool. I favour Grotle higher than Prinplup but it's still a bit forgettable for me. Monferno on the other hand? Absolutely adore that critter.

My least favourite is likely the Johto trio. That isn't to say that I dislike them, but of the 9 Pokemon that make up those starter lines only one of them truly stands out (Quilava). I appreciate Cyndaqyil, Bayleef, Meganium, Typhlosion, and Totodile, but I can't quite call any of them favourites. Even Kalos, which I'm rather neutral towards in general, has Chespin and Froakie - both of which that I really love. That tends to be how it works for me with the remaining regions, too, just moreso. Oshawott and Dewott in particular are firm faves (with Tepig trailing closely behind), as are Swampert, Treecko, and Grovyle. Much love for the lot of 'em. ♥

Kanto Trio.

I have a nostalgic feeling with generation one and share a fondness with the original trio. Charizard is one of my favorite pokémon and Squirtle is really good with Hydro Pump, Bulbasaur is overpowered, there is too much good stuff about the trio that started the franchise.

My least? I gotta say (No hate pls) the Sinnoh trio. What almost became my least favorite was the Unova trio. Anyways, I don't get why I don't like Sinnoh a lot. Many people consider Sinnoh as the best region, but I don't really like it. One of the only Pokémon main games I avoid.

A reason of this is the Sinnoh trio. I don't know why I don't like these starters, but I hate 'em. The only Sinnoh starter I think is DECENT is Piplup. Piplup isn't a beast of damage, but the design for the final evolution is very beautiful. Now that I think of it, I don't like the Sinnoh trio because of their designs. Yeah, thats why.

Well, that is my true opinion of my favorite and least favorite trio. Mine is probably different from the other Charmer's above ^, but I guess that is what makes every person unique.

Kind Regards,
M3wzy.

I like the Kanto starters the best. Venusaur is my absolute favorite Pokemon and I am a sucker for gen 1 Pokes in general. I don't care for water or fire types, but I much prefer the Squirtle and Charmander lines over the other water and fire starters with the Cyndaquil line being my only exception.
The Johto starters come in a close second. Cyndaquil was amazing in gen 2 (Thunderpunch Typhlosion :)) and Feraligatr is always a beast. Bayleef is pretty cool design-wise and although Meganium isn't great for offense it works fairly well in other capacities.

The Unova starters are the ones I like least. Serperior is a great Pokemon in general, but some of the designs really turn me off. And after watching them in the anime I simply don't care for them like I do the others.

I didn't know this would be so hard, okay.

I guess the Johto trio; at first I didn't really like the Totodile line, but it grew on me eventually. I'm very fond of Cyndaquil and it's evolutions too, and for some reason I love Meganium.

But then there's the Kanto starters too, and I love them too, but also the Hoenn ones and ahh I just can't choose.

The Hoenn trio has Treecko and I just love all of them a lot to be honest.
So let's say The Hoenn starters, followed by the Johto ones, and then the Kanto starters :-)

For the least favorite, I'd say Sinnoh, for one reason - Piplup. I honestly really hate it's design, and it's evolutions' too.I didn't like the Kalos ones either though, apart from Greninja who is just awesome okay.

I would have to go with Unova starters for my favourite. They are all so cute! My personal choice of the trio was Oshawott. This is my list, in order from worst to best.
Hoenn
Sinnoh
Kanto
Kalos
Jhoto
Unova