• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Spoilers.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Some people hate spoilers in movies, video games, TV shows, etc. so much that it sends them into genocidal rages. Others will gladly absorb all information possible. And the rest are a bit more selective, avoiding spoilers for certain things but openly accepting them for others.

Which are you?

Myself, I'd fall into the selective category. For anything that I'm actively following or highly interested in following - such as select television shows, movies, video games, or books - I hate accidentally reading spoilers or having people directly spoil stuff for me. When I'm that into something, I want to be the one who discovers it. To me it's a lot more meaningful and exciting that way. When it comes to the things I'm not deeply interested in, however, I don't mind spoilers at all. In some cases they might even be that key concept or plot twist that gets me interested in a show/game/book/etc. I previously had no strong urge to look into.

Then we have franchises like Pokemon... These are the things that I'll look into to an extent, yet not completely. In the case of Pokemon, each new generation it's very easy to spoil all of the new Pokemon for myself, the gym leaders and Elite 4 line-up, and the basics of the plot (understandably so). These things I don't mind because I'd rather be part of the community reporting on the news than turn into a hermit for 6-12+ months. :p What I do mind, however, is knowing the exact Pokemon line-ups each gym leader/Elite 4 member/etc. has and indepth details about the plots (whatever little plot the games have). For games like the Mystery Dungeon series, I'd strangle anyone who'd spoil 'em on me because they're usually pretty awesome.

So, yeah. I don't generally like spoilers, but I don't mind 'em in certain cases either. I'd figure the majority of people feel the same way, but who knows? You guys tell me. :)

Meh, spoilers are all right. I try to be on top of the pokemon industry spoilers, but that is mostly STRICTLY to knowing the pokemon of the next generation. I don't mind seeing some stuff about the, say, C-Cog or whatever, but if it doesn't have anything to do with the pokemon or the main characters, I'll probably exit the page and forget about it.

So, yes, I am in the selective group because I don't want to know every single nuke and cranny of the game, because I like a little game with my spoilers :p

Oh I love spoilers ;D It just depends on what kind.

I don't like spoilers that reveal an entire scene. I ruin the surprise when I watch them.

But other things I love. Like how they've been revealing Pokemon, or how they may show a few gameplay clips from other games like Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, Sonic Colo(u)rs, or Sonic 4. I also like watching them so I can know what games to try out. Plus spoilers also let me listen to music, Example : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7bt49zG ... re=related . Spoilers also help me to get extra pumped fpr a game, and this helps me with inspiration as well. Ask the 60 something fan chars. in my head, they'll tell you.

Bottom line, Spoilers are great, its like I'm getting a heads up before the game hits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on what I'm getting "spoiled" for, for me. I like to find out as much as I can about things like pokemon, WoW, etc. but when it comes to a more dramatic work, like a new novel or TV show I'm excited for, I like to be surprised by what happens in the plot. If I do get spoiled, it's not the end of the world for me.

I looooooooooves the spoilers!

Spoilers make me more excited for something. Like in Pokemon, the Gen V 'mons make me want to buy a new DS and ect. WoW, how the Worgen and Goblins look in Cataclysm makes me pumped up. I don't like plot stuffs... Well, kinda.
I like experiencing the plot myself, so I don't mind if I see it; I feel much more immersed if I'm the one actually there, with my character's name popping up instead on my screen of some other person's.

Books, I usually end up reading the last page or so because it actually motivates me to read on and figure out how the heck the characters got there.

I don't really care for surprises :p.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
I often spoil video games for myself, but that's about it. With video games I grow far too impatient and want to find out a few things, then I accidentally find out other things and eventually curiosity kills the cat and I learn everything about the game. (Biggest case in point being Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep) This really only happens because the games come out in Japan months before they come out here and there is all of this info out there and I can't just ignore it for months and months. >>

Books, television shows and movies, I never spoil for myself and I get incredibly angry when anyone tries to spoil them for me (This happened to me with the sixth Harry Potter book... -.-).

I love spoilers. Spoilers nourish me, give me strength, etc. And I can deal with learning about the ending to just about anything quite well. I guess that sort of means I don't put that much worth into a storyline to read the edning before even finishing it, but that's just how I roll, I suppose, and I have no regrets about it. Besides, hearing about the ending as a spoiler, and actually seeing/playing the scene is something very different for me. So even if I know what's going to happen, I can still enjoy seeing the cutscene play, or the climactic bit in a movie without ever regretting it and enjoying it fully.

Spoilers... I LOVE THEM!
Hell, I can't wait to see what happens so I just read the spoilers and then I get either excited or bored out of my mind. I still love them.
I saw L4D2 spoiler before I played, Portal 2, pokemon episodes, etc. ;) :) :D ;D

Last edited by a moderator:

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Sometimes with spoilers I'm my own worst enemy, such as if I know the information is there I find it very hard not to look. A good example of this was when Serebii covered the play through of HG/SS before anyone else really had a copy. I didn't want to spoil the games, but the information coming through was just too awesome to miss. With Pokemon, I love finding out what all the new Pokemon are. I enjoy being able to look at all the new Pokemon and selecting my team before starting (such as finding out where to catch them, or whether they're too late in game to really have). Like Katie said though, I'm not a fan of knowing stuff like the exact line-up in gyms etc. Some surprises are nice.

With films, I tend to avoid spoilers. They're much more fun to watch when you don't know what's going to happen. Obviously certain spoilers are hard not to see, such as trailers or other people discussing the film around you, but if I can I avoid them.

It depends on the thing being spoiled. I don't mind being spoiled for a Pokemon game, since they don't tend to be very heavy in the way of plot, and I'd rather not avoid pretty much everywhere I go online until the game comes out.

On the other hand, when Mother 3 came out, the only things I knew about it were the screenshots released on Itoi's site (which didn't spoil a whole lot), and that there were Dragos in the screen east of the area you start out in. If anyone had tried to spoil any more for me, I would have probably punched them in the face. :o

If I could, I would live, breathe, and eat information/knowledge. I love the stuff. In addition, I hate surprises. Logically, I would want to know the 'spoilers' and their content to both enrich myself and satiate my hunger temporarily for things like books and new video games.

Whenever I want to spoil something for myself, Wikipedia is my best friend. Whenever I go see a movie, I always look up the plot, or when I missed a TV show, or something similar, I spoil it.

Oh yeah, and
Snape kills Dumbledore

ETA by Database: Added spoiler tags for you there.

Personally, I like to avoid spoilers when I can. I'm all about being surprised in everything - books, movies, and especially video games. But like a few of you have said, some things I can't help but to look at, like almost every piece of Gen V news that has come out. :p When it comes to news for those kinds of things, before their release, I guess I'm okay with them getting spoiled as long as they are being officially spoiled by the company or author. They know what can be spoiled safely without ruining too much. It's after it comes out and everyone else knows about the book/movie/game that I avoid all news possible, as the entire plot is out there, ready to be spoiled. In Pokemon's case, it really doesn't help that they are released in Japan so many months before most other places...

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
ahahaha, I'm the type who's all, "TELL ME EVERYTHING YOU CAN ABOUT THAT MOVIE/SHOW/CHAPTER/BOOK/ETC!" because I hate being in the dark. I also tend to do research before starting another anime/manga/whatever series. Why do I do that? Because people telling you what happened isn't the same as experiencing it firsthand, and for me, getting completely spoiled and not knowing anything before watching/reading something doesn't make much of a difference for the experience, if that makes any sense at ALL. XD

Wow...In this case I have to say it very much depends.

When the Harry Potter books were still being released, I avoided spoilers so hard it was any funny. I avoided listening to the radio, getting on the internet, or watching TV because I was that afraid of spoilers. I've been waiting -years- for each book; there was no way I was letting anyone spoil it for me. In the case of Pokemon, I want all the spoilers I can get except for the music which I wanted to keep as a surprise. With HGSS, I limited myself to four tracks and four tracks only. Imagine my surprise when I got to Goldenrod City and heard it for the first time ^^ Even so, I generally like to keep as much of the storyline a surprise as possible--that goes for other video games as well.

If the suspense is too much in a movie, I'll ask vague questions such as "Will they get out of this situation?" or "Will they clear the misunderstanding?" All I need is a yes or no answers for questions like that. Same way with books, if the suspense gets to me, then I'll flip ahead in the book. I don't mind spoilers at all when it comes to the Pokemon anime regardless.

I don't have a clear-cut position on spoilers, so I liked to be warned when there maybe spoiler somewhere. That way I can judge the situation for myself.

Im the category that likes spoilers for some things but not for others :>
For films that I'm interested in seeing, no, and likewise for books. For random horror sturfs, that I wouldn't touch in a gazilliflumpel years, yes.
When D/P was being revealed, I ended up looking up EVERY Pokemon, and that spoiled it a bit. For this generation, I'll try to limit myself.

A

Anonymous

I fall in the absorbing catigory, infact, i find myself constintly checking charms to find spoilers for genV, is this normal :-\

I don't care for them but in some cases like my Manga, video games or Pokemon in general I am always on the look out for some new information on a new chapter or, new level, new Pokemon whatever it may be.

I am curious about what's going to happen based on what we have not seen but what has been said. In fact by the time you finish reading this thread I have read the Spoilers for [insert(s)].