• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Problem with Breeding

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Right, I'm having some issues.

I'm trying to breed Leech Seed on to a Lotad, using a female Lotad and a male Shroomish.

However, when I hatch the eggs, all of my Lotad only have one move - astonish.

I've checked a few things, made sure Shroomish has the move, and looked for any kind of clause saying Shroomish and Lotad can't breed egg moves or something.

It SHOULD be working, it just isn't. Anyone know why?

(Side note: Anyone posting useless answers will be banned on site. ;p)

Nemesis

Former Administrator
You'r right, that should be working...The Shroomish hasn't leveled up whilst in daycare and forgotten Leech Seed has it?

Is your Shroomish weaker than Lotad? That might be the problem. I think for a baby to learn a move from it's father, the father has to be higher in level than the mother. I could be wrong, but it's worth a shot.

And if your Shroomish is stronger maybe Lotad just can't learn that as an Egg move. I know they can end up with these egg moves: Synthesis, Razor Leaf, Sweet Scent, Leech Seed, Flail, Water Gun, and Tickle.

Well, that's all I know about this. Tell me if you find out anything, because now I'm curious.

Well I just looked and leech seed isn't an egg move for shroomish. Does the move have to be an egg move for both? Well if it does, thats your problem. ;D

Leech Seed isn't an egg move for Shroomish, it's a level up move. It doesn't have to be an egg move for both of them, just as long as the father possess the move, and it doesn't matter how the father got it, it will pass on to the offspring if it has that egg move.

When you put two Pokemon into daycare for breeding, their moves "lock" in. For example, I put a male Chikorita with Toxic and Leech Seed and a Ditto into Daycare. All of the offspring Chikorita inherited Leech Seed and Toxic long after the father have leveled up and forgotten those moves. The moves will "unlock" when you withdraw the Pokemon from Daycare. I hope that made sense.

I don't think levels have anything to do with breeding. Because said Chikorita was at level 1 and the "mother" Ditto was at level 45.

I think El's game just went nuts, because he said that it started working properly later: the newly hatched Lotad had Leech Seed. It's a mystery that can't be explained except by a weird game.