• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Normal Gym Team Help

Okay.

So.

I'm a "Gym Leader" of a certain organization, more specifically the Normal Gym. I was wondering if y'all could give me some tips on the team. I was allowed two off-type pokemon, and I took that opporotunity... And abused it... To death.

Tauros @ Salac Berry
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Anger Point
Evs:
252 Attack
252 Speed
6 Health Points
Moveset:
Zen Headbut
Earthquake
Body Slam
Substitute

Porygon-Z @ Salac Berry
Nature: Modest
Ability: Download
Evs:
252 Special Attack
252 Speed
6 Health Points
Moveset:
Tri Attack
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Nasty Plot

Kangaskhan @ Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
Evs:
252 Attack
252 Speed
6 Health Points
Moveset:
Crush Claw
Bite
Earthquake
Brick Break

Snorlax @ Chesto Berry
Nature: Relaxed (Ironic, huh?)
Ability: Thick Fat
Evs:
168 Defense
168 Special Defense
172 Health Points
Moveset:
Rest
Curse
Amnesia
Body Slam

Crobat @ Focus Sash
Nature: Timid
Ability: Inner Focus
Evs:
252 Speed
128 Defense
128 Special Defense
Moveset:
Haze
Air Slash
Confuse Ray
U-Turn

Rotom @ Scope Lens
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
Evs:
252 Speed
252 Special Attack
6 Defense
Moveset:
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Confuse Ray
Thunder Wave

So, yeah.

Any advice will be helpful, although, I've done the EV traiing on everything but the Tauros, and I don't really wanna do it again.

Other than that,

Go crazy on the helping.

[[EDIT: Yeah. Sorry about that, Ruko. >>; I got that changed.]]

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Why no Bibarel, Girafarig, or Togekiss? D:

I know you didn't ask for a moveset, but this seems like the best place to mention the Bibarel set I came up with [if you can stand to look at it]. It would just make your team a bit more awesome if you didn't abuse the rule that let you use two other typed pokemon XD

Bibarel @ Leftovers [judging by your Tauros/Porygon, multiple items seem allowed]
Simple Ability
Any Special attack or speed lowering Nature [depending on which stats you want most]
Curse
Amnesia
Waterfall
Secret Power

Simple doubles the effectiveness of all stat changes [for your opponent too]... Translated, this means that curse will double your attack and defense in the same move, while halving your speed; meanwhile, Amnesia will give you an instant 4x special defense boost. Just hope your opponent doesn't have swords dance and decide to use it.

Waterfall for basic Physical STAB. The Flinch won't come into play much, especially after Cursing, but there's not really a better choice unless you're willing to sacrifice 10 accuracy for 10 power and go with Aqua Tail.
Secret Power, again for basic STAB. If you manage to Paralyze your opponent [30% chance] then the flinch just might come into play from Waterfall if you're not still slower than they are. there are many alternative moves here...

Rock Smash with Simple is just plain evil, if you're able to wait out for the 50% effect to activate a couple of times, you'll be mowing through them.
You'd lose Grass coverage, but Charge beam would be unexpected and fairly deadly, a 70% chance of doubling your special attack every time. Physical wall breaker too.

Bibarel still has substandard stats, so before you can get a simple curse or Amnesia in, it'll be really weak and open to attack.

On to the pokemon you actually posted XD

Tauros and Porygon-Z look good.. consider a Chople Berry on Porygon-Z, to cover it's only weakness, Wise Glasses will raise it's special attack power even further if not that.

Possibly consider Sucker Punch on Kangaskhan over Bite, unless you were going for Flinch rather than priority and Power.

Snorlax doesn't really need Amnesia, it's plenty of a beast without it >>;
and unless you give it an attack aside from Body Slam, it's entirely walled by ghosts, and fairly well walled by pokemon that resist Normal attacks... The paralysis is nice on them though XD

I was just talking with you about Crobat, and you decided on U-turn over roost for your own reasons; just wanted to make a note of that because the set says Roost.

Rotom looks like it has a standard set.. predictable, but it works.

For Snorlax, Earthquake and Crunch are options I see often, to not get walled, but one way or the other, you'll be walled by something.

Earthquake hits the typical Steel and Rock.
Crunch hits the Ghost.

Skarmory however, is your worst nightmare, but meh. It' only one Pokemon.

Personally, I'd be taking Earthquake. Very few Pokemon that resist Return, resist Earthquake. (Gengar, Shedinja and Skarmory being the few that I can think of.)