• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Needing a new UU starter

I'm currently using:

Kangaskhan@Leftovers
Careful
Scrappy

6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

Body Slam
Crunch
Rest
Sleep Talk

I've been thinking that maybe Elemental Punches + Body Slam/Crunch would be an alternative for keeping Kangaskhan, but I'm open to all ideas, being Kangaskhan movesets or a whole new starter :)

If knowing what the rest of the team is would help you, just shout and I'll get that up asap. -> Edit: Rest of the team is in my next post down.

Giving the rest of the team would help alot to pick a new starter :p

I went for Subpassing Drifblim and never looked back for my UU starter. If you have a team in which that fits I would highly consider it. The folflowing are ideal natures.

Drifblim w/ Leftovers
Calm Nature
Aftermath Trait
80 HP / 252 SpD / 176 Spe
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball

As for Kanghaskhan I would consider perhaps Earthquake instead of Crunch for something that hits harder. But overall I dont adore rest talkers so here is a whole new build I adore using on my mono normal team.

Kanghaskhan w/Leftovers
Adamant Nature
Early Bird Trait
252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
- Return
- Rest
- Toxic
- Protect

Makes a great staller just beware of bulky steel types that ruin this.

Giving the rest of the team would help alot to pick a new starter :p
Will do, rest of the team is:

Victrebel@Leftovers
Mild
Chlorophyll
6 HP/252 Spe/252 SpA
- Morning Sun
- Sleep Powder
- Sunny Day
- Solarbeam

Great sweeper, the powerhouse of the team in my opinion.

Swellow@Flame Orb
Jolly
Guts
6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
- Brave Bird
- Facade
- Protect
- Roost

Text book Physical sweeper.

Cloyster@Leftovers
Impish
Shell Armour
252 HP/58 Def/200 SpD
- Explosion
- Ice Shard
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes

Spiker, and the time bomb. :p

Grumpig@Leftovers
Modest
Thick Fat
252 HP/80 Def/178 SpD
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute

Special Wall/Sweeper.

Flygon@Life Orb
Adamant
Levitate
6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Roost

Physical Sweeper, Roost for anti-life orb. Also, he's not really UU so I'm looking for a replacement.

Hope that helped, and if anyone has any suggestions for the rest of the team, feel free to give them :p

Your Drifblim looks good, but I'll wait and see if anything possibly more suitable pops up :)

Edit: After playing around on shoddy for a while, I've changed Flygon to Kingler/Drapion. Both are physical sweepers, Kingler utilises Swords Dance whilst Drapion is a Scope Lens/Sniper-erer.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Kangaskhan@Shell Bell (I usually give leftovers, but with your team, it's taken.)
Any nature that lowers special attack
Scrappy

Crush Claw
Counter
Sucker Punch
Drain Punch

That's the set I use with my Kangaskhan. Counter is really unexpected, and Sucker punch can make a finisher on Focus Sashed Sweepers. Crush Claw is nice STAB and an excellent effect (50% chance at lowering Defense).
Drain Punch hasn't really served much of a better purpose than Brick Break would, but the bit of extra HP can help in a pinch. (combined with counter especially)

Crush Claw and Counter involve a chain of breeding, though.
Smeargle -> Rhyhorn or its evos -> Kangaskhan

One thing about a Swellow, never use Roost with it. I know that quite well. Go with U-Turn instead. Swellow is way to fragile to use Roost.

Hmmm...maybe another STAB on Victrebel? Maybe Slugde Bomb instead of Morning Sun. And HP Fire would be very nice over Morning Sun if you could get it. SolarBeam has no charge, Chlorophyll is kicked in and HP Fire gets boosted on top. Very nice.

Ruko, that Kangaskhan looks great. Will have to give him a go, see how he fits in with the team/my playing style. :)

One thing about a Swellow, never use Roost with it. I know that quite well. Go with U-Turn instead. Swellow is way to fragile to use Roost.
That makes sense, will change that then.

[quote author=Jetters link=topic=4412.msg61807#msg61807 date=1212104949]
Hmmm...maybe another STAB on Victrebel? Maybe Sludge Bomb instead of Morning Sun.
[/quote]In my experiences with Vic, she seems to be fine with just the one STAB. The Morning Sun really helps, especially when I can't hide behind a Baton Passed Sub from Drifblim (if he's on the team at the time). Again, will have to try and see how it works.

[quote author=Jetters link=topic=4412.msg61807#msg61807 date=1212104949]
And HP Fire would be very nice over Morning Sun if you could get it. SolarBeam has no charge, Chlorophyll is kicked in and HP Fire gets boosted on top. Very nice.[/quote]Great idea, but will have to see how it works.

Well, the reason I said another STAB or attack was not not get walled by a single Pokemon. As of now, Vic' could be easily walled by Dragon, Steel and Fire types, which easily take the Grass Moves.