• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

My pics

This is the first real piece of artwork that I've done since 2005 in art lessons (which I loathed) and (surprise surprise) its a horse! I got inspired by the huge amount of horse books currently lying all over my room and a few pictures that I found on deviantART. I only started it yesterday (at about 9:45 pm) and I know it still has a way to go, but I was wondering if there were any suggestions about how to improve it.

I don't know whether to go for colouring pencils or just shade it with normal pencils either. What do ya think?

Its called Gallop

gallopforphotobucket.jpg

sorry about the sizing, I did try to make it smaller... oh, and I don't have a scanner at the moment so the pants quality is due to my camera.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
You're worried about it being too big? I figured it was too small :p

As for the rest... derrr... Seeing how I barely draw anything anymore, I can't really give you any pointers. I don't think coloring could hurt it, though. Really depends on what you were going for.

Yeah, sorry about that. It looked way too big in the preview, but now it looks too small XD typical.

I was trying to focus on the movement of the horse, but getting something vaguely horse shaped is a big improvement from what I've tried to draw before.

What do you think of the mane and tail? Do they look realistic? Everyone's complaining about hands being evil but try drawing hooves and ears! They're just as bad :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I personally like a big, flowy mane myself, but I guess it depends on your model horse, eh? ;)
I guess the same goes for the tail, too. Long, poofy tail! XD But horse tails are pretty dang hard to draw.

I know you said you'd abandoned this, but I'd like to see it colored. Possibly black ;)

Mmkay, I'll try.

I was gonna go for bay colourings myself (dark brown body and black socks, mane and tail)

After I've done this one, I'll get Rach to scan it in so its better quality. I'm also planning some other pieces at the moment (just while I have some inspiration) so I'll get those posted as soon as they're finished.

Good pic Rosie! Personally I can't draw any animal for peanuts so bravo! A lil thing though, the front legs look a lil too short from my point of view but it may just be the angle of the pic.

Finally I've managed to get the picture finished and onto the computer. Sorry it took so long but I don't have a scanner that works with my computer so i had to give it to Rach..... *blah blah blah*.... anyway, here it is:

gallop1.png

I'm really proud of the colouring, especially on the legs, and I think the mane came out well too. I don't like the hooves so much, but that's something to work on. Comments and constructive criticism welcome!

Pretty good, I ain't much of an artist. Unless it's something I fully recognize. For instance I can draw my 2 favorite Disney characters perfectly. Pooh Bear and Mickey Mouse. But when I drew Palkia I had to look at a pic and draw and look at a pic and draw. And even then It ame out, alright to say the best. But keep in mind that I almost never spend my time drawing and when I do, it turns out pretty nice. In my families bloods. But back to your horsie. It looks good. A little plain tho. You should spice it up and give it flame fur.....wait a minute....Rapidash and Ponyta.....that'd be unoriginal...nevermind. I suggest giving it electricty hair. That'd be awesome.

Thanks for the comments!

Yeah, I tried to make the mane and tail as thick as possible. I think I succeeded on the mane, but unfortunately the tail was a bit close to the edge of the book and I didn't want to get too close to the edge.

I didn't want to be too ambitious on my first proper attempt, plus I think horses are beautiful as they are and I didn't want to spoil it with experimental hair. Maybe another time I'll be more adventurous...

Ack! A random picture I drew today! I was inspired by El's sprite or Wray from The System so I thought that I'd have a go at drawing Fayth. Then I was inspired further (if that's possible) by watching Azumanga Daioh (Japanese animé) and I found a pretty good picture of Sakaki-san in one of the episodes.

Anyway, I drew out the pose, adjusted the hair and this is what I came up with:

PICT1160.jpg

Again, the quality of the picture is pants due to me not having a scanner, and it may be a little while before I get around to colouring it coz of GCSEs and stuff.

Comments and constructive criticism welcome!

(I hope I'm not infringing any copyright laws by using Sakai-san for using her picture and pose. I give all credit for her to her writers and drawers and stuff, Azumanga Daioh, etc etc etc.)

Last edited by a moderator: