• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS My Luxray needs a (good) moveset

Luxray is my favorite electric type and it needs a moveset suitable for the best electic type ever. Right now it's crappy.

Luxray aka Neji
Ability: Rivalry
Spark
Shock Wave
Crunch
Discharge

Don't even start with the three electric moves in one moveset, I know its bad. Problem is I don't know what electric move to keep and which ones to ditch. They all three have good points with Neji.

You can suggest moves and hold items for in-game or competitive play but don't take personality into account.

btw: I named it Neji because Luxray can see through solid objects like Neji's Byakugan can. That probably makes no sense to non-Naruto fans but hey.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Knowing its Nature would be nice, I based the following moveset on its Attack stat, assuming that it is higher than its Special Attack.

Luxray
-Thunder Fang
-Crunch
-Iron Tail
-Swagger/Return

Thunder Fangs awesome. :) Has a chance at Flinching and/or Paralyzing your opponent. It has decent power and will get even more due to STAB.

Its always a good idea to have a Dark-type move lying around, very useful.

Iron Tail is good as well, it'll allow you to take down those Rock-types.

Now, Swagger or Return, depends on your battle style. Swagger's risky as you should know but it'll be fine if you're smart with it. Meaning you won't go and Swagger a Weavile, you'll get yourself killed. Instead Swagger something that you know deals with Special Attacks.

If you don't like that then Return is a nice move, as long as your Negi loves you to death that is. :)

Again this moveset's based on Negi's Attack stat being higher than its Special Attack, if that's not the case then say so, so I can rearrange the moveset a bit.

my luxray knows crunch, swagger, thunder fang, and discharge, but you can trade charge foreither of the electric moves for charge. also, which one you trade depends on which battle you're in. is it single? is it doubles? also, i agree with sem. iron tail would work.
and as far as discharge goes, only use it when you have a ground or shock-proof teammate. i believe luxray's sp atk is high enough to be used as a viable alternative, but use physical if you have a choice.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not a big fan of Swagger myself, so I'd personally go the T-Wave route if you could be bothered battling for the TM. That's just my personal choice, though, as I rather like T-Wave, but I can see the usefulness of Swagger too when used on the right opponent.

I'm guessing since this particular Luxray is named, egg moves are out of the question? I'm very tempted myself to retrain a Luxray with Ice Fang bred onto it. I'd rather it than a less accurate move like Iron Tail (and it'd take out Ground-types), but if you like the extra power at the expense of accuracy it's probably not a big deal to you. And yeah, if you aren't considering breeding, ignore this.

I guess I could breed another Shinx with Ice Fang. But I actaully really like the T-wave idea. But Neji has only one defense against ground types. (Remove it from battle)

heres what i think:
Neji/Luxray@Shuca Berry

[glow=Green,2,300]Thunder fang[/glow]
crunch
ice fang
return/t-wave/iron tail/filler
glow=important
its pretty close to a physical boltbeam.crunch is always good.as for the last move;take your pick.but lean towards iron tail ;)

luxray:

thunderbolt
cruch
charge beam
thunder

No offense, but that moveset, well... is not good. Carmen has said that she knows three electric moves on one Pokemon is a bad idea. Also, Luxray really should be using physical moves, not Thunderbolt, Charge Beam, or Thunder. With that in mind, I'd suggest either Nachoman's set or a Thunder Fang/Crunch/Swagger/Thunder Wave set for Confuse+Flinch+Paralyze hax.

Thanks for the help guys.

My new moveset for Neji will be:

Thunder Wave
Thunder Fang
Crunch
Iron Tail/Ice Fang

I didn't pay attention to Neji's nature and it turns out he has a Brave nature so its attack is sky high. So I should probably stay from special attacks. Man, I wish Luxray could learn Volt Tackle.