• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Maiha's Sprites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this is the first time I have ever done anything like this, so I am sorta nervous about it.

I know I am not that good yet, there are many mistakes that I am sure are rife through my sprites, but I hope nobody flames me too much for them.

Maihamug.png
Chiyakomug.png

Maihasprite.png
Chiyakosprite.png

These two are my OC Pokemon trainers, Maiha (the bluenette), and Chiyako (the pinkette).

For the mugshots, I used Candice's mugshot for Maiha, after flipping it around and doing some massive edits. Since her hair covers her left eye, and I thought it probably not a good idea to cut off the half of her face that is actually showing. I am happy with her mugshot, it came out alright I thought.

I used Fantina's portrait for Chiyako. It isn't quite what I had in mind (her fringe and the sticky-uppy thing on her hair were very difficult to reproduce), but for now it is enough for you to see what I am trying to go for.

Maiha's sprite consisted of about 5 different trainers, including two gym leaders (her hair was a real pain to do since I had to do a lot of work to get it right).

Chiyako's sprite also consisted of about 6 or so trainers, then heavily edited to fit my image of her.

In all, I am pleased with my work, so any constructive help would be very much appreciated.​

First, I'd like to say; Wow! These are really good.

I love your shading style you used here, and how the character's really stand out.
I also really like the splicing you did, it's really good, and looks natural.
Chiyako, has some rather, bright and bold colors XP And, is it me, or are they a little off balance? Maybe moving the legs one-two pixels to the right would fix that. I love the hair on Maiha.
The mugshot's are nice, but keep two things in mind:
1. Your hair is a little too sketchy, so make it clean.
2. The only person I've seen do this, is Rocket X, and maybe Meep, but make your mugshot's hue, higher, or lighten the colors, as if you look at the originals, they aren't so bright.

Keep up the good work!​

[size=8pt]I quite like the shading on Chiyako's mugshots; the highlights look good to me.
But on the sprite, it's almost like the hair that extends past her shoulders needs more definition to match the top of her head, otherwise it looks a little bloob-ish.
I love Maiha's sprite though, and the upper-half of her body seems very natural, though her feet might be a tad too pigeon-toed.
Other than that, I really like these, and look forwards to seeing more from you :3[/size]

I love Maiha's sprite though, and the upper-half of her body seems very natural, though her feet might be a tad too pigeon-toed.
Aww, thanks love! Though the legs look weird because she reversed them. Tsk tsk. Charaefive, did you think I wouldn't notice my own spriting when I saw it?

Ugh.png

The one on the left is Isabella, straight out of my sprite thread. The one on the right is you character, Maiha.

Maiha's sprite consisted of about 5 different trainers, including two gym leaders (her hair was a real pain to do since I had to do a lot of work to get it right).

I'd imagine the hair was a pain, yes. But the body? Hm...do you even know what trainers I used for it? Or how many, at that? Seeing as how Maiha's entire body is ripped and recolored from Izzy's pose.

So basically, I'm calling you out. Convince me why you shouldn't be banned for sprite theft, since there is no way you couldn't have known this wasn't my sprite, seeing as how it's exclusively in my thread. And on top of that, you also made it appear as though you worked just so hard on the sprite when you barely did any original work besides the hair. Or perphaps that is taken from somewhere else as well? Should I have to go through the TCM or other peoples threads to check? Or should I just have another run through my thread?

Feel free to explain yourself.​

The revised versions of my sprites and (one) mugshot.
My best friend (who Chiyako is based on) took one look at the sprite and said "AAAAHHHH!!!! EVIL! PINK!!! AAHHHH!! What are you trying to do to me?!" ('scuse the caps, but she was yelling at the time)
I said, "But you said your favourite Pokemon was Mew. I am just trying to base your colour scheme on it."
"Change it! Change it!"
"Well, what other Pokemon do you like?"
"Ummm...Cerebii."
"Ok, so you want your colour scheme to be based on Cerebii then?"
"Yup. And burn that other one."
"Burn?"
"Burn. Delete. Destroy. Reduce to a pile of ash, I don't care. Just get rid of it."

Chiyakosprite2.png
Maihamug2.png

And so here we are, with a new colour palate for Chiyako, I think it looks better than the first one (much better), and I did shift her legs a few pixels to the right if you can tell. Oh, and if you were wondering, the blue thing around her waist is a scarf that doubles as a belt in hot areas.
For Maiha's mugshot, I was forced to make all the colours bright, then tone it down to make it less bright, so it fit in with the rest of the 'mugshot norms'.

Oooh! Sorry Pixeity. I will admit I used Izzy as a base. Eeeh....Ok. I'm gonna have to re-do my Maiha sprite then. At least it'll give me a chance to get better when I do another sprite. I will try very hard to keep from using your sprites again. But can I still keep the hair?​

Sorry, indeed. Well, since I am quite fond of you thus far, I will be giving you but one warning. I see potential in your being a member, so no banishment will be issued. However, this is called a warning for a reason, learn from this. Be happy it's only one warning as well.

As for this current Maiha sprite, I ask you give credit for the usage of Izzy's sprite and how you used the sprite for others to know. You don't have to delete that sprite as long as you give credit where credit is due. :) Of course you can keep the hair, since I assume you made it.

Anywhoo, I do like Maiha's hair, crazy pigtails, ftw. The color schemes of Chiyako seem to be from one extreme to the next. Instead of basing it soley off Celebi or Mew, why not come up with a color scheme that compliments both? A light pink with a darker green go nicely together. Of course, just a suggestion. :p

Still sorry for the other one. For anyone who didn't know, I did base my first Maiha sprite in part on Izzy (who is Pixeity's character), and did a few changes, adding the hair (the fringe btw I did get from Flannery, as well as the 'basic' hair).

Anyway, how's this one Pixeity? I did it in about 10 minutes basing it off the Aqua grunt and the Pokemon Breeder from Emerald. This is only a first draft though, I will be doing some heavy changes, mainly with the legs (ain't too happy with 'em, but I did 'em like that so I could see what long pants would look like), and yes, the torso and face belong to the Pokemon breeder).

Maihasprite3.png

If you like, I can do a groveling apology comic to you as well. already have a basic idea forming. Oh! and I hope you didn't think I was stealing your character in the other one. I wasn't. Swear on it.​

I like the new Maiha sprite, I thought the old one look familiar. 3rd Gen sprites can be fun to do.
Anyway, I'd like to show you what I fully meant with the mugshot:

exampleoj5.png

On the right, we have one of Rocket X's mugshots (sorry if you didnt want me to use yours as an example Rx)

A few pointers here:
1. Keep the outter-outline a grayish.
2. Maybe use less colors, unless you are going for your own style.
3. You might want to tone the colors down a little more.

Hope this helps ;)

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind for the next time I re-vamp my mugshots (which'll probably be tomorrow sometime , seein' as how I still aim to re-do Chiyako's mugshot.

I hope this doesn't constitute as double posting, since the last post was almost 12 days ago...

Anyhoo...sorry for not being around much. I've been involved in an Easter Play (which the first show starts tomorrow!) for the past four or five weeks. During that time, I was able to get a few things done. I've managed to get another Maiha sprite (I know, I know, you're probably sick of her by now, but I am working on Chiyako...promise!)

Maihasprite4.png

This I think will be her main sprite (gotta think of a Co-ordinator sprite now...gah!) And I think she's turned out alright. Used the Pok​

The badges are easy to figure out.In Order:
Marblebadge:Rock
Wavebadge:Water
Venombadge:poison
Infernobadge:Fire
Spectrebadge:Ghost
Duskbadge:Dark
Alloybadge:Steel
Wyrmbadge:Bug or Psychic,not sure with the weird spelling.
Yuhakuoutei (what a mouthful xD) is a good starter,an original trio too.

Wooot! Kyle (TK), you got most of them right, except the last one. It is not bug or psychic. But you still get a chocolate chip cookie for getting the others. The prize is a giant death-by-choc chocolate-chip cookie. So, basically, all you need to do is figure out the last badge ;D

And thanks for your comment about Yuhakuoutei. I am trying to figure out an 'English' name. Was going for something like 'Schwanesse' (don't know if the spelling is right :-[), which is another way of saying 'swan' in either German or Dutch or some country like that, can't remember which.

His first evolutions (for anyone interested) are called Sukoshimago (lit. Little Ice Egg) - Ice-type, and Minikuigamo (lit. Ugly Ice Duckling) - either Ice-type or Ice/Flying, can't decide which yet. So their 'English' names might be....Eggert for the first one? and Snoduck for the second (maybe....erg....need names!) I now have their looks in my head so I will be spriting them up soon enough, Yay!

Oh, and I did use as my basic template the Pokemon Trainer card you can get here on Pokecharms (all hail the godly Doctor Oak), but I tweaked it in order to fit my idea....I hope that's ok....

If it isn't, then I can always put the link to Pokecharms back in, so don't warn me, just tell me and I'll do it right away and edit the post I have it in.​

That Yuhakuoutei looks amazing! I don't know if I could do anything like that. I love the color scheme of it.

And your last badge sounds like a dragon-type gym to me.

WOOOT! meep43, you get a giant, death-by-choc chocolate chip cookie! It is a Dragon-type gym (seeing as how the coastline of Sennenkan looks a little like a dragon, I thought it prudent).

And I had no idea while I was sketching out the coastline that it did look like a dragon's head. I just chose some coastlines from the real world and tweaked them in order to get a coastline. When I get the rough sketch done, I'll be putting it up in my Artwork thread so you can see. I even have all the names of the towns, cities, islands and other landmarks. :D

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Wow...

These sprites look really good! I really like the hair on Maiha (all of her sprites, even the mugshot!), and your fakemon are also pretty good!

I applaud your work, charaefive!

This probably isn't all of them, but for the starters... at a glance, I'd say Starly, Moltres, Articuno, Fearow, maybe Exeggutor for the bird and Tyranitar, Crobat, Nidoking for the dragon-steel-whatacallit. I used a lot of bases from the same line when I made my flying and rock starters, though, so I know them fairly well.

It's always nice to see starters that break the usual fire-water-grass cycle. You might want to pay attention to a few factors when designing fakemon, though. If you hadn't told me what type those two were, I'd have guessed normal/flying and ...I don't even know, dragon or something. Just because something has white/blue or grey on it doesn't mean it's an ice type or a steel type. The palettes just seem mismatched and kind of random to me. It's something I struggle with too, having a horrid love for blinding color schemes and all.

Wyrm is another term for Dragon in some circles, Kyle.

Oh, and Snap, I did have a more muted colour scheme, of light green, light purple and blue for the Ice starter and had saved it as such, and uploaded both the ice and steel starters into Photobucket, but a friend called, and I was distracted. When I came back, I was flicking through the other threads, seeing what was on, and I came across your thread again, and I looked in horrification at the fact that your flying starter had pretty much the same colour scheme as what I had done. Mortified, I immediately went about changing the colour scheme of my Pokemon (not wanting to be accused of stealing again), and came up with the brighter green, blue and pink one.

And yeah, you get a cookie for the Ice-type, but only one. It wasn't Nidoking, it was Nidoqueen and not Crobat, it was Aerodactyl. and you missed two as well. You'll never guess 'em ;D​

Ah, yeah. I can see how you'd be a bit wary of a green-white-purple-blue four-winged bird starter, then. XD

Got my Nidos crossed, I guess, and I was pretty off on the Crobat/Aerodactyl thing. I know that thing sticking out of the side of the steel starter's head is from Salamence's cheek, but I don't know what else I missed and frankly don't feel like going to look at DP sprites to figure it out.

Well, here's my first Starter set, the Ice Starters

Icestarter1colour.png
Icestarter2colour-1.png
Icestarter3colour.png

The first one is Sukoshihiyoko (roughly 'Little Ice Chick'), and it's Ice-Type. The Pok​

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football

*huggles a passing Sukoshihiyoko* So cutiful... all three of them look really good! The only thing that I have a problem with is Minikuikogamo's eye. It kinda freaks me out a bit.

The Pokedex entries somehow remind me of the Bagon-Salamance line. Both of these lines have the first two wanting to fly, but then the last one has wings and can SOAR.

Yuhakuoutei really is prettifull...

Thank you. Yes, Sukoshihiyoko is cutiful. It was only after I finished colouring him that I realized how good those colours suited what I wanted.

With Minikuikogamo's eye, I took the beak and eye of a Swellow and inverted and flipped the eye as you see there. I wanted to make the transition from Sukoshihiyoko to Minikuikogamo to Yuhakuoutei to be as clean as possible, since Yuhakuoutei's eye does pretty much the same thing. And remember, Minikuikogamo is meant to be ugly.....ish....

And I don't think it would be a good idea to huggles a Sukoshihiyoko, since you're likely to get a freeze burn ;D​

Update time. And yes, again it's a 'technical' double post, but it's been over 2 weeks since my last one, so I think it doesn't count.

Anywhoo, it's time to jump the bandwagon. I have a IAWW sprite that is far from finished (i.e the scarf isn't on yet, but since I whipped this up over the past two days in quite a big hurry, I think I should be forgiven), but I thought I'd put it up here so you can see what I've been up to (although what I have really been up to is still unfinished, and I've been working on it for over 3 weeks! :-[)

MaihaIAWWfinal.png

I might make this my avatar when i finish it, until I get a better one. Meh, we'll see.

This is the updated Trainer card for Maiha. Taken away the shiny Dragonair, and re-changed the Espeon's gem back to normal.

Maihatranercard2.png

Hnnnn....still got some work to do on it. Well, it'll do for now. I hope it does look 'professional'.​

Thaaaank you! Here's a cookie! ;D

The Venomoth part is right, but I just blended it in with the natural Tyrannitar head crest. Man, I'd forgotten about my cookie giveaways :)

Anyway, am also working on the Steel trio (slowly), and have yet to even think about the Ground trio​

Status
Not open for further replies.