• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS I need help with a balancing act...among other things

If I do say so myself, my moveset making skills have come a long way, but I still have problems. I only seem to be good with sweepers! I'm trying to build a defensive wall and have an annoyer but I'm having trouble.

Here are the three Pokemon I was thinking about:

Umbreon:
Toxic
Moonlight
Protect
Confuse Ray

Basically what I was trying to do was have Umbreon Poison the foe and then just watch it die so I was wondering if this was a good strategy to go with.

Dusclops:
Will-o-wisp
Protect
Lost on the other two moves

I was also thinking about using Shuckle and that would go like this
Sandstorm
Safeguard
Rest
Toxic/Withdraw

I also need help with EV training them in defenses. How do you EV train or even level up Pokemon with no attack power? I don't have the problem of leveling up with Umbreon but there's still the EV training. Also, if you know of any good hold items or some good defensive walls or annoyers, I would love to know them. I want to do competive battling but you can't get anywhere with sweepers alone so I need help.

I'll post for help with Dragonite later because I don't have my game with me and I can't give the vital information to get help with it.

Snorlax, if trained right is a good defensive wall. Blissey will make the perfect Annoyer. It has the highest HP EVs of any pokemon, just like Chansey before it.

As for Dusclops:

Will-o-Wisp
Protect
Double Team
Torment
Torment is great for Dusclops because it prevents the opponent from using the same attack twice in a row

For your question about ev training, they don't have to ko the foe, only participate. So you can just switch out at the beginning and still get the evs.

I would advise curse for shuckle to at least give him a chance at offense and mean look for umbreon to prevent them from running away.

Maybe I'm just biased because I love Meganium (the whole line, really), but I find this moveset to work quite well for your needs.

Meganium
Leech Seed
Substitute
Synthesis
Toxic or GrassWhistle

No real offensive attacks, but I've tried this before and it works quite well!

My home, my world is here in the Clinic. Focusing on this though.

Umbreon@Leftovers
Calm Nature
252 HP, 252 Def/S.Def, 6The defense you didn't put anything into.
-Wish
-Protect/Baton Pass
-Mean Look
-Toxic

Stalls them to death. Wish is combined with Protect, and Wish isn't affected by Sandstorm and Rain. Funny no one mentions it. Mean Look Traps and Protect will give Wish a full effect. Baton Pass to trap the Pokemon for good and switch to a counter and pass the Wish on.

Dusclops/Dusknoir (Highly recommend to evolve it)@Leftovers
Impish Nature
252 HP, 188 Def, 24 Atk, 46 Spd
-Shadow Punch
-Pain Split
-Will-o-Wisp
-Thunder/Ice Punch

EV set lets you be able to One hit Kill Starmie or come pretty close and outrun some walls.
Thunder/Ice Punch is for Coverage.
Pain Split is its great healing move.
Will-o-WIsp is to cripple Sweepers.

Shuckle@Leftovers
Impish/Careful
Sturdy
252 HP, 252 Def (For Impish)/S.Def (For Careful), 6 Atk
-Knock Off
-Toxic
-Rest
-Protect

Protect to protect what little health you have.
Toxic to damage them, cause Base Attack of 10 isn't great.
Rest to heal.
Knock Off to annoy and not get Taunted.

The only thing limitng Shuckle is that it has low health.

Hope that helped.

Yeah thanks and I would really love to evolve Dusclops but I don't have WiFi. I'm seriously starting to think something is wrong with my DS because I'm in an area with WiFi but my DS won't connect to it.

Anywho who would I need to breed with an Eevee to get Wish for Umbreon?

Thanks Leehage for the EV training advice. I had always thought the Pokemon had to either KO the opponent or level up with the EXP you get from beating a Pokemon.

Chain Breeding rules.

Breed a Togetic/Togekiss that Knows Wish with a Pikachu/Raichu. (Male Togetic/Togekiss and Female Pikachu/Raichu)
THe newly hatched Pichu should know Wish. (Get a male one, so it can pass the move)
Evolve the Male Pichu into a Pikachu and breed it with a Female Eevee.
The newly hatched Eevee should know Wish.

Hope that helped.

Now I know this has nothing to do with walls and annoyers but I still have something: Dragonite
It has a quirky nature and I maxxed out EVs in speed and attack and it has the moveset:

Fire Punch
Outrage
Brick Break
Waterfall

I tried to cover its weaknesses but this moveset doesn't seem worthy enough for a Dragonite for some reason.

Here's a much better moveset:

Dragonite:
Quirky nature

Thunderbolt/Shockwave
Flamethrower
Dragon Pulse
Ice Beam

Dragon pulse for STAB, Ice Beam to handle the Dragons when you can't use Dragon Pulse, and Flamthrower to cover weaknesses. Thunderbolt and Shockwave are fillers.

@ Barry, you mention all Special Moves when the EVs are already in Attack, why?

Back to doing what I do best.

Dragonite@Muscle Band
Quirky Nature
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage/Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Fire/Thunder Punch

Maybe because you forgot one of the most sought after moves in the game? Dragon Dance is almost always a must on a Physical attacker.

Outrage/Dragon Claw provides STAB.
Earthquake porvides coverage.
Fire Punch to hit Ice-Types hard while Thunder Punch is to hit Water-Types hard.

There's always trying to fill holes in your team with Dragonite as well because Dragonite has pretty big Movepool.

Hope that helped.

Thanks for the Dragonite help. Waterfall is going to say adios for Dragon Dance because honestly I'm not sure why I didn't think of it. Something that increases attack and speed is totally useful for Dragonite. Also I'll need to temporarily put Fire Punch or Brick Break in for EQ until I can get the TM.

Edited 4 days later so as to not double post: I forgot to ask for a good moveset for Blissey. I'm going to try to raise one from a Happiny.

Ummm let me think...Got it!

Blissey@Leftovers
Bold Nature
Natural Cure
252 HP, 252 Def, 6 S.Atk/S.Def
-Softboiled
-Heal Bell/Aromatherapy/Ice Beam
-Seismic Toss/Thunderbolt
-T-Wave/Stealth Rock

Softbolied and Heal Bell/Aromatherapy give it support options.
Seismic Toss makes up for its really bad Attack stat.
T-Wave can cripple sweepers while Stealth Rock is another support option.

Otherwise, if you can't get Seismic Toss, Replace Heal Bell/Aromatherapy for Ice Beam, and Seismic Toss for Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt and Ice Beam has great coverage.

Def. EVs are there so Blissey doesn't get killed in one hit by a physical attack.

Hope that helped.

On the Blissey set I'd personally go for sing, just because there are alot of Garchomp/ Electivire (motor drive) and Rhyperior out there who will just suck that T-wave right up and then BAMM! pick on Blisseys sub-parr defence, and I think ice beam is a must. As for the rest, it all looks good.
Hope my little input helped abit.
(Y)

I found out I could BUMP my own topic so here I go again.

Next up: Drapion!!
Nature: Timid, Highly Persistant
Ability: Sniper
Item:Scope Lens
Night Slash
Cross Poison
X-Scissor
Toxic Spikes/Swords Dance (it can learn Swords Dance right?)

I was trying to abuse its Sniper ability. Simple as that.

And my first attempt at a physical Lucario
Name: Lucas
Nature: Jolly, Somewhat of a clown
Ability: Steadfast
Item: ???
Extreme Speed
Sky Uppercut
Blaze Kick
Shadow Claw

I was trying to be unconventional by putting Blaze Kick and Shadow Claw. Sure Blaze Kick doesn't cover anything that isn't already covered but I liked it. Or was that off base? I really want to see Lucas get off the ground because it took me forever to get a female Lucario to breed with my Blaziken and get the right nature.

As always constructive criticism is welcomed...

Is Adamant not a better nature for Drapion?
Otherwise, very solid moveset.

Luccario@Muslce Band/Choice Band/Choice Scarf/Foucs Sash/Salac Berry
-Close Combat/Reversal
-Extremespeed/Bullet Punch
-Crunch/Stone Edge/Endure/Blaze Kick
-Swords Dance/Agility/Crunch/Stone Edge/Earthquake/Substitue/Blaze Kick

Very versitile.
Either use the Choice Items and sweep, go with the Reversal combination, or use Swords Dance/Agility to really hurt the opponent.
Key point though, If you use Bullet Punch, go with Stone Edge. If you use Extremespeed, use Crunch.

Hope that helped.

Crap...I guess it's time to breed a new Lucario. But that's ok: I like breeding them! I just need to get a male Pokemon that can use Crunch. BTW, is Shadow Claw horrible or is Crunch that much better. Shadow Claw has a high critical ratio while Crunch lowers defense. I can't decide.

Getting an Adamant nature for Drapion shouldn't be difficult. I'll breed that Drapion with a female. I may throw in Whirlwind for a Whirlwind/Toxic Spikes combo.

There's actually no differnence in Shadow Claw and Crunch. The only noticable difference is that Crunch has a hgigher base power. And what the two hit. I Shadow Claw can be used, but Dark attacks have identical coverage, and it saves you a TM. Oh, and a Shinx (Its line) and Floatzel are two options I believe. Another thing, you can't get Bullet Punch and Crunch on the same set (Unless you Sketch).

Oh don't worry about the TM. I bred it into Lucario the by way of a Blaziken I taught Shadow Claw to to help defend it against Psychics. But now I know how to get Crunch onto a Lucario so thanks. Floatzel is very useful as it also helps get Ice Fang on Luxray.

Since this is my team topic I presume I can double post...I hope.

This time I'm posting for help for two Pokemon I thought I wouldn't be getting for a looooooong time. Picked them both up on the GTS when I was on Spring Break in Florida.

Spiritomb--Sassy
Item: Wise Glasses
Dark Pulse
Shadow Ball
Hypnosis/Silver Wind
Dream Eater/Psychic

I wanted to keep it simple but if there are any alternatives I would like to know about them.

Shieldon that will be a Bastiodon--Mild (ugh)
Item: Leftovers
Thunderbolt
Protect
Iron Defense/Flash Cannon
Ancient Power

I'm a bit foggy with this one. I mean for it to be an attacking physical wall. I'm conflicted about using Flash Cannon because I'm thinking about using the TM on my future Empoleon(Piplup picked off the GTS as well). Thunderbolt is there just...because? It's a filler and it covers the water weakness.

I don't want to breed with these because I don't want to lose the boost in experience points. And I can't do WiFi trading anymore because I'm back at home with no convienient access to wifi hence why I can't get another Flash Cannon TM.

Yes you can, as long as it's relevant.

Dark Pulse and Shadow Ball are good.
Maybe Nasty Plot. It's one of the Pokemon that learn in Naturally.
Hypnosis can stay to set the Nasty Plot up.

Bastiodon looks fine, and Iron Defense is better than Flash Cannon on Bastiodon.

Nasty Plot sounds great. Even if I don't use Hypnosis first, I would mind using a turn to set up Nasty Plot because I can't see Spiritomb being OHKO'd. I'm glad I won't have to use Flash Cannon on Bastiodon. I thought for sure I would be shot down for attempting to use Thunderbolt on it. I'm glad I won't have to use Flash Cannon on Bastidon. And speaking of which, would Flash Cannon even BE a viable option on Empoleon? (its special attack is higher)

Since Empoleon has a really bad Special Move Pool, yes it's fine.

Empoleon

-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Flash Cannon
-HP Electric/Grass Knot/Agility

Surf and Flash Cannon for STAB.
Flash Cannon for coverage.
HP Electric is for the BoltBeam combo.
Grass Knot can work over HP Electric and if you can't get either, Agility will work fine.