• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Help with my Defenses

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I'm currently looking at adding Miltank and Vaporeon to my team, I'm looking at the options below...

Miltank@Leftovers
Impish Nature?
Thick Fat ability
Milk Drink
Heal Bell
Thunderwave/Stomp/Body slam
Return

Miltank will be bringing some much needed defense to by team, so I've gone for an Impish nature. Any suggestions on a better nature would be much appreciated. Milk Drink to heal, Heal Bell for aiding my other pokemon. Return for STAB and good power. Not sure whether to go with Thunderwave or Body Slam - one paralyses without damage, the other attacks with fair power but only a small chance of the effect taking place. Or, I'm a huge fan of Stomp on her, goodish power and maybe a flinch. Not sure where to go with that one...

Vaporeon@ ?
Timid Nature
Water Absorb
Surf
Ice Beam
Acid Armor/Haze
Wish

Surf for STAB and Ice beam for coverage and Dragons. Wish to help my team recover. Haze to undo Dragondances etc, or Acid armor to improve Vaporeon's Defense, making him sturdy in both defenses.

Any help/tips are welcome. Defense was something I really lacked before, so these two are my answer.

Not sure whether to go with Thunderwave or Body Slam - one paralyses without damage, the other attacks with fair power but only a small chance of the effect taking place.

Thunderwave over both Body Slam and Stomp. You have an attack stronger than both already (Return), and Stomp/Slam won't net you anything else asides from a second STAB on a single typer, if you see my argument.

However, I'm sure Jet can come up with something better than what all of us could think up put together :p (Not meaning to put you on the spot there or anything :))

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I'd be the first to admit that I'm not the best person for coming up with movesets, so I completely agree with you ^^

What you said about Thunderwave completely makes sense, so thanks for pointing that out.

If the entire point of Miltank is for support/walling (healing, stalling, slowing) then I would definitely go with Thunderwave. You will get a lot more use out of it and will give you more wiggle room to get off the healing moves that you might need.

With Vaporeon, my play style would say go with Haze. Mostly because I usually have no way of slowing down boosted opponents. Are you trying to stay in the fight longer (Acid Armor) or try to take down a powered up sweeper (Haze)?

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Thunderwave it is then. That's two good reasons from you and LoN in favour of it.

That's an interesting question about Vaporeon. I hadn't really thought about it that way, but now that you've pointed it out it makes it very easy. Just like you say, Haze will be my only way of slowing down boosted opponents (other than thunderwave of course) so Haze it is.

Thanks loads ^^

I say Earthquake or Brick Break might be favoured over T-Wave on Miltank. Miltank has a base Speed of 100. That's tied with Salamence and Co. already. A Scrappy Natured is favoured so Normal attacks can hit Ghost-types.

On Vaporeon, Calm Nature will work better. And using Protect + Wish is annoying to the opponent. Heal up and not get hit, a win, win situation. Either that or go with a Sassy nature and Baton Pass so the Vaporeon switches out after taking a hit and the Pokemon coming out gets HP recovered.

Best miltank ever is a curse using one. Loose either return or body slam (I kept slam on mine for para) and put in curse. Scrappy is great so you dont get walled out by ghosts once you got curse going.

That way your smexy cow will be both defensive and offensive.

PS: Impish is the ideal nature.

PPS: Vaporeon could use protect for self wishing without fail

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I say Earthquake or Brick Break might be favoured over T-Wave on Miltank. Miltank has a base Speed of 100. That's tied with Salamence and Co. already. A Scrappy Natured is favoured so Normal attacks can hit Ghost-types.

I had considered Thick fat to be the better ability, mainly because my main reason for having Miltank is to wall. However, since her attack is decent, Scrappy might come in handy...

Miltank@Leftovers
Impish
Scrappy Ability

Earthquake
Milk Drink
Heal Bell
Return

That moveset is looking pretty good. Earthquake would allow me to hit steel and rock types, since they'd resist Return.

That way your smexy cow will be both defensive and offensive.

I'm liking the curse option. I wouldn't have to put many EVs and attack and could focus them on defenses/HP like I intend to, but she's still pack a decent punch ^^

Curse
Milk Drink
Return/Body Slam
Heal Bell

I'm liking this moveset too. I could drop Heal Bell for Earthquake, to gain more coverage. I suppose it depends on which way I take her.

On Vaporeon, Calm Nature will work better. And using Protect + Wish is annoying to the opponent. Heal up and not get hit, a win, win situation. Either that or go with a Sassy nature and Baton Pass so the Vaporeon switches out after taking a hit and the Pokemon coming out gets HP recovered.

Never considered protect, but clearly should have. Baton pass would also be a good option, though Protect is really sounding like a good option right now.

Thanks both of you. That was really helpful!

This is my exact build, I didnt have access to it yesterday:

Mooby the Miltank
Scrappy trait
Impish Nature
252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
- Curse
- Milk Drink
- Body Slam
- Heal Bell

But that is since she is the medic on my team. You can always look into giving Aromatherapy/Heal Bell to someone else on your team. But since it has scrappy it doesnt really need covering that much. What's great about Miltank is that she can tank even fighting moves pretty well. and heal back up again. She has won me a ton of matchs in my mono normal team because of that.

Little bit of SPAM there, huh LoN_Colossus? That was really that helpful to the team really. Be a little more careful next time.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
But that is since she is the medic on my team. You can always look into giving Aromatherapy/Heal Bell to someone else on your team. But since it has scrappy it doesnt really need covering that much. What's great about Miltank is that she can tank even fighting moves pretty well. and heal back up again. She has won me a ton of matchs in my mono normal team because of that.

Scrappy it is then, Thick Fat seemed like a good idea, but Scrappy makes much more sense. It's taken me a while, but I found someone to breed Curse onto Miltank (Torkoal) so I think I'll go with that moveset. Thanks Jeydis, loving Miltank's nickname by the way ^^