• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Favourite Double Battling Combos

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
This isn't really a 'help refine my team' thread, but it follows suit with the same idea.

I'm planning to put together a double battle-specific team for PBR and I figured I'd get a bit of discussion going about the double battle combos people like to use. What are some of the good ones you've lot found? It can be move, ability, or Pokemon specific, or a mix of each.

Off the top of my head, there's the very simple 'protect with the non-EQing Pokemon when the partner uses EQ', which I use quite a bit because I love that attack. I guess you have to do that now with Surf as well...

Another one I've seen used is matching a Ghost-type with an exploding partner, but I guess using protect in that case would be just as effective.

I'll leave it at that for now. Any others people can think of?

A fire attack and a Pokemon with Flash Fire is nice, as is an Electric attack and Electivire.

Other than that... uh, I don't normally do double battles, so... there you are. ^^;

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Another two more.

Swaggering your team mate who's holding a heal Confusion berry (or using the Special Attack up version of Swagger). I can think of several of my Pokemon who'd benefit from that...

Skill Swapping with Pokemon like Slaking or something with a useful ability like Levitate. I'm sure there must be some Pokemon who'd benefit from turning anti-Ground, tho I haven't looked into it too much.

Both fairly straight-forward ^^;

This one is a weather based combo that I really like. Have a fast Pokemon use Sunny Day and another one to use Solarbeam or a Fire attack. Same idea with one Pokemon using Rain Dance and the other using Thunder or a water attack (or heal Manaphy or Phione).

This one seems fun to use: intentionally hitting one of your Pokemon with the Dry Skin ability with a water type move. Hmmm...I should try this one myself that's a good Surf counter.

This one's a little bit of a risk. Inflicting a Pokemon with the Guts ability with a status condition to increase attack.

A Flying-type paired up with a Ground-type with the Lightning Rod ability. Essentially makes any Flying-type immune to Electricity.

Hmmm... I wonder if Shedinja can learn Follow Me...

This one is a weather based combo that I really like. Have a fast Pokemon use Sunny Day and another one to use Solarbeam or a Fire attack.

I was thinking about the uses of sunny day recently and I felt like using it for a double battle team with Tropius and Camerupt. I know they may not be extremely powerful or anything, but they can decently cover quite a few types with STAB. Also Tropius gets the ability that ups Sp Attack at the cost of HP during sunny day, which can be paired with the single round Solarbeams for some fun results I imagine, Also the EQ's from Camerupt would never hit Tropius.

This is just all speculation of course.

This one is a weather based combo that I really like. Have a fast Pokemon use Sunny Day and another one to use Solarbeam or a Fire attack.

Have a pokemon with Chlorophyll that knows Solarbeam and use Sunny Day. Perfect for slow grass-types with good Special Attack.

Usually all I do in Doubles is have one pokemon go after one, my other go after the other...

I have a deadly one I call the Death Spell. Dusclops and Gardevoir. (did it in XD) Best Case Scenario.
Turn one: Call to Gardevoir to raise Acc. Dusclops use Confuse Ray.
Turn Two: Gardevoir use Sing/Hypnosis. Dusclops sit around.
Turn Three: Gardevoir use Dream Eater.
So, the pokemon is asleep, and confused. Asleep, It takes 1/16 damage for Nightmare when asleep. If it wakes up it has to deal with Confusion. I coulda swore that there was one other move that would deal damage when asleep and awake...​

A Flying-type paired up with a Ground-type with the Lightning Rod ability. Essentially makes any Flying-type immune to Electricity.

That also lets the ground Poké be able to use Earthquake.

Oh, I had an idea! Put a Surfing Poké with something that has Water Absorb! But... since everything that can have surf or water absorb is a water type... It would kinda suck to run into an electric or grass Poké... Unless you were using something like Quagsire (Water Absorb) and Swampert, then you'd only have grass to worry about.

Skill Swap Levitate onto Metagross. o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you could just have Metagross use Magnet Rise, which gives it levitate anyway.

So far my favourite double battle moves tend to revolve around Earthquakers and critters with levitate. It's simple and quite enjoyable.

I usually just do type combos. Mostly because I never go into double battles half the time.

Flying types and earthquake, ground types and discharge... those are the usual ones I use. I never really cared about those types of battles.
One combo I hate when used against me is explosion+a ghost pokemon on the other team... I F'ING HATE THAT GOLEM. D=

I haven't really delved much into double battles, I'll admit, but my lame little ingame team does have some things that work.

First of all... order. I start out with Torterra and Honchkrow, spam EQs and whatever Honchie feels like doing. The crow's usually the first to fall, since he's frail and has no healing powers.
So then out comes Luxray. Now we spam Discharge while Torterra buffs/attacks/chillaxes. Yaaay. :V

You could always try for that surfing Pikachu PBR gives you. Pair it with a Vaporeon or something, Surf away.

And I'm really not sure how effective this would be, but you could try Togekiss/Powertricker Shuckle. Toge sets up a Wish or some other buffer move, Shuckie uses Power Trick, then Togekiss just goes for Follow Me as long as it can. Of course, moves that hit both opponents kind of ruin that plan, but I'm trying to think outside to box. XD

Renorrin: Unfortunantely, I think so.
Snapdragon: Yeah, Surfing Pikachu can really put a dent in the enemies plans. But seeing as there isn't a specific type that is resistant to water, you just have to pick a pokemon with the water absorb ability.

You could always poison your partner with Toxic/Poison Powder onto a Pokemon that has Guts as an ability (Swellow/Ursaring) and use Facade (It gains 3x the attack and with a normal type,you gain an attack bonus 'cause of STAB) It's power is deadly. :o

Actually Skill Swapping Levitate onto an Electric Poké gives it no weak. Now, if that's PBR's Surfing Pikachu, that puts a MAJOR dent in Ground types...

Skill Swap Water Absorb onto Camerupt. XD Or Flash Fire onto Parasect... o_O

And I'm surprised Explosion + Protect/Ghost-type hasn't been mentioned yet.

Last edited by a moderator: