• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

dafg's sprites

Hi, I opened this because I want to show sprites I made, well here are two of my creations

2rpfg3k.jpg
34qv79w.png

I like both of those sprites, especially the fusion of that bell thing (I forgot it's name), and Cherubi, they go really well together~
But the first one is saved as a .jpg, always remember to save your sprites as a .png, it makes them look so much better.

G'day dafg, and welcome to the spriteing zone, but now for the sprites.

The first has a number of problems. The recolouring is okay, but the flame looks messily copy and pasted. The smoke as well, looks rather splattered on rather than anything else, and saving it as a .jpeg doesn't really help :/.

The second sprite, has slightly less problems. The idea, as Absy said, is good in premise, and I look the sprite generally. However there seem to be a lot of stray pixels around the point where the leaf is attached to the bell pokemon. The smaller head might be a bit pixelated around the edges, but that might just be me.

I sound pretty nasty right now, so I do apologize if I have offended, but if you do take mine and Absy's tips into consideration, I'm sure that another batch of sprites will look good :)

Thanks for the advice ;D it really helped I didn't know about the .png thing.

I have another sprite but i think I messed up the flame but look and please tell me
27xkl5u.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I quite like how the flame sits on Turtwig's head. I also think it blends quite well into the sprite, but maybe someone with more technical skill can offer you a better comment :D

Just a small word of advice, but your double post wasn't necessary. Even though we do allow double posting in the artworks/spriting boards, a reasonable amount of time has to have elapsed before it's acceptable - at least a day. So please remember that in future.

That aside, I wish you the best of luck with your sprites~

sorry but I have been having problems (Including I didn't find any programs for editing images on mac [for some reason gimp didn't work] so I couldn't sprite) now I can sprite again.

this one's new:
6fxc0k.png

Tailon helped me a lot, thanks Tailon :3

I think that Mewbat is your best sprite so far. The design is pretty good. I really like the simplicity of the sprite. ^^

You need to work on the shading, especially on the wings. The wing behind Mewbat's head should be darker in certain places because of head blocking some of the light.

I also see some areas where you need to work on your outline. In some places, such as where the tail should be, it looks like a big clump of black pixels. Just try getting rid of some pixels there. You might also want to work on the outline near Mewbat's right ear, the one on our left. It appears to be lacking an outline towards the tip, making it look like it's connected to the wing.

Overall it is a very good sprite, it just has a few common mistakes. Good work~