• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Open Coiling Dragon RP Discussion

Y

Yifun618

Hey everyone, this is my first RP I am opening on Pokecharms. It is based off of an e-book series called "Coiling Dragon." (Great read, highly recommend it for fantasy lovers.) The RP will take place in the Yulan Continent. The Yulan continent is split into three main empires: The Baruch Empire, the Rhine Empire, and the O'Brien Empire. Other landmarks include the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts, the Anarchic Lands, and the Dark Forrest. The three empires are constantly at war, fighting over land. The society of the Yulan Continent is as follows:
- Everybody has natural elemental energy in their body: Battle-Qi. Battle-Qi can specialize in one of the seven elements: Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, Lightning, Darkness, Light
- RPers can choose one of two paths: Harnessing their Battle-Qi into strong, physical attacks (the Way of the Warrior) or using it's energy to cast powerful spells (The Way of the Magus). It's either one or the other!
- When someone starts their adventure, they are classified as First Rank Warriors/Magi. AS they grow, they will go up to second and third rank, etc. These ranks go all the way up to the ninth rank. After breaking through the ninth rank, a character will become a Saint-Level Warrior/Magus. These combatants have unimaginable power, automatically harnessing the power of flight.
- Just to make sure everybody read this, put the word "Bacon" in your application under the "Additional Information" section
- It is hard to rank-up. Don't just say "Beat one fight rank-up lol" and then just become a Saint-Level. Convince me that you deserve the Rank-Up.
- It is not impossible to defeat something of a higher rank than you. It isn't easy, however
- Each empire specializes in something. Based on character traits, decide which empire you belong to. The Baruch empire specializes in the upbringing of many powerful of Magi with their magical institutes. The O'Brien Empire trains strong warriors. The final empire, the Rhine Empire, is mixed. They have a more diverse population.
- All RPers should start in the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts. This mountain range is inhabited by Magical Beasts (obviously). This mountain range is in the center of the borders of all three empires. The outer rims of the mountain range are where beasts ranks 1-3 are. The further one goes into the range, the higher rank beasts there are. In the heart of the range, it is possible to even encounter a Saint-Level Beast.
- You may play as either a human or a beast. As a human, it is possible to tame beasts through three different methods. The first method is to use a taming scroll, which can be purchased. The second way is to defeat the beast in battle and have it initiate a soul-binding contract with you. The final way is to befriend the beast and have it initiate the contract.

Link to RP: https://pokecharms.com/threads/coiling-dragon-rp.16073/

Application for Human: (Just copy and paste this, then fill it out.)
Character Name:
Element of Battle-Qi:
Appearance:
Preferred Weapon Type:
Battle Strategy:
Magical Affinity:
Additional Information:

Application for Magical Beast:
Beast Name:
Beast Species:
Element:
Unique Features of Beast (E.g. horns, spikes on back, etc):
Additional Information:

My Human Character Application:

Character Name: Aerin
Warrior/Magus: Warrior
Element of Battle-Qi: Fire/Lightning
Appearance: Blonde Hair with red streaks, dark eyes, about 5 feet tall
Preferred Weapon Type: Greatsword
Battle Strategy: Relies on sheer attack power of her elements to overwhelm opponents
Additional Information: Aerin grew up in the O'Brien empire, training under her father. She decided that after she reached the second rank as a warrior, she would venture to the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts. Her favorite food is bacon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Character Name: Mark
Warrior/Magus: Magus
Element of Battle-Qi: Earth
Appearance: Brownish hair color, yellow eyes, about 5 feet tall
Preferred Weapon Type: Uses his magic staff to enhance spells and also as a bludgeoning device
Battle Strategy: Tries to keep opponents away by using earth magic as a form of shifting gravity, if they get close he keeps them away with his staff and focused attacks
Additional Information: Raised in the Rhine Empire, Mark is more peace-loving than most. (He also loves bacon). He still strives to better himself, but avoids any conflict if possible. He decided to head to the Mountain Range like many others after he started practicing magic.

Y

Yifun618

Character Name: Mark
Element of Battle-Qi: Earth
Appearance: Brownish hair color, yellow eyes, about 5 feet tall
Preferred Weapon Type: Uses his magic staff to enhance spells and also as a bludgeoning device
Battle Strategy: Tries to keep opponents away by using earth magic as a form of shifting gravity, if they get close he keeps them away with his staff and focused attacks
Additional Information: Raised in the Rhine Empire, Mark is more peace-loving than most. (He also loves bacon). He still strives to better himself, but avoids any conflict if possible. He decided to head to the Mountain Range like many others after he started practicing magic.
Accepted!

Wow, a Coiling Dragon RP! I love the series, even though I've barely completed the first book. I'd love to join. I do, however, have a question. For mages, is the Affinity trait taken into consideration? And if this RP is still up and accepting members, I'll have my form up in some time.

Great! Sooo, I assume it's still going since I see an RP topic by this name. I'll go ahead and post an application...

Character Name: Miko Ryn
Element of Battle-Qi: Wind
Appearance: Miko isn't particularly concerned about her appearance, so it's just as well that she's been gifted with straight, smooth dark hair and sparkling teal eyes. Her complexion is darker than the regular Rhine-ian(? Rhinian? Rhine...dweller?) due to the countless hours she's spent running around outside to play, which also accounts for the small white scratches littered across her arms. Her body is slim due to her active lifestyle, and she sports a healthy height of five feet, three inches.
Preferred Weapon Type: Bow and arrows; keeps two daggers for an emergency
Battle Strategy: Miko has chosen a pretty unconventional battle weapon for a mage, but each to their own. She feels comfortable keeping her distance and striking down her foes with both regular as well as magically enhanced arrows. She practices her magic when she can, equally distributing time between her physical practice using weapons, and magical affinity. She prefers to keep her elemental attacks of wind sharp, with the intent of cutting, and is learning how to channel it in an unfocused blast to push everything in the area.
Magical Affinity: (Is it okay if I start with High?)
Additional Information: Bacon? Important meats aside, she was raised in the Rhine kingdom in the well known Ryn family (wow, it rhymes. Coincidence) Though not royalty, or even a noble household, the family itself was well to-do, and Miko was never wanting for anything. Her affinity for magic was discovered early, when she willed flowers to rain on her from an overhead branch and decided to share her success with her parents. She often heads to the Mountain Range, and not just for training. Miko loves all animals and beasts, and spends more time watching them than actually battling.

Character Name: Joshua
Element of Battle-Qi: Darkness
Appearance: Joshua is a young, handsome guy with straight black hair, lightly tanned skin, blue eyes and moderate height. He does make up, dyeing around his eyes into purple. He is slim, but also a little athletic. He prefers wearing comfortable black suits most of the time.
Preferred Weapon Type: A simple staff, which Joshua just hold in one hand but never use to make physical attacks. Joshua really hates weapons, and he even hates people who likes weapons. He only trusts his magical abilities.
Battle Strategy: Joshua is mastering what he calls as 'dark spheres'. He throws magical, black spheres like an arrow, forming inside his hand, and those can be dangerous for a target. Unlike an arrow, on the other hand, those balls can not go too far.
Joshua hardly prefers to enter a combat, his abilities are more suitable for other things. He is interested in seals and curses of all sorts. Despite some of those are suitable to use in a combat, preparing a seal or curse needs time and effort. This is the reason why Joshua sometimes prepares some seals before and place those onto his staff to use quickly during a fight.
Magical Affinity: (He actually is oblessed with magic. So...)
Additional Information: Joshua is an obsessed character about magic. His father was once protecting the capital from all sorts of attacks with his seals. Time to time, he was fighting against the strong creatures in the field, and as some of those were not beatable he was sealing those creatures instead. Joshua always appreciated his father's powers, and wanted to become as stong as him.

(Oh and almost forgot. Bacon!)

Last edited:
Y

Yifun618

Character Name: Joshua
Element of Battle-Qi: Darkness
Appearance: Joshua is a young, handsome guy with straight black hair, lightly tanned skin, blue eyes and moderate height. He does make up, dyeing around his eyes into purple. He is slim, but also a little athletic. He prefers wearing comfortable black suits most of the time.
Preferred Weapon Type: A simple staff, which Joshua just holds in his hands but never use to make physical attacks. Joshua really hates weapons, and he even hates people who likes weapons. He only trusts his magical abilities.
Battle Strategy: Joshua is mastering what he calls as 'dark spheres'. He throws magical, black spheres like an arrow, forming inside his hand, and those can be dangerous for a target. Unlike an arrow, on the other hand, those balls can not go too far.
Joshua hardly prefers to enter a combat, his abilities are more suitable for other things. He is interested in seals and curses of all sorts. Despite some of those are suitable to use in a combat, preparing a seal or curse needs time and effort. This is the reason why Joshua sometimes prepares some seals before and place those onto his staff to use quickly during a fight.
Magical Affinity: (He actually is oblessed with magic. So...)
Additional Information: Joshua is an obsessed character about magic. His father was once protecting the capital from all sorts of attacks with his seals. Time to time, he was fighting against the strong creatures in the field, and as some of those were not beatable he was sealing those creatures instead. Joshua always appreciated his father's powers, and wanted to become as stong as him.

(Oh and almost forgot. Bacon!)

Accepted! Love the idea of the magical seals!

My only Regret was not seeing this earlier ~
I love Coiling Dragon ~ It was one of the first Xianxia's that I read~
I'd definitely want to jump in on this If you haven't already started.

So say in theory, one hasn't read the series, but is interested. Would it still be possible to join this RP, and be a productive member of the RP?

So say in theory, one hasn't read the series, but is interested. Would it still be possible to join this RP, and be a productive member of the RP?
This is indeed possible, the World's system isn't all that Complicated and the RP creator already removed some of the more troublesome components.

Y

Yifun618

My only Regret was not seeing this earlier ~
I love Coiling Dragon ~ It was one of the first Xianxia's that I read~
I'd definitely want to jump in on this If you haven't already started.
You can definitely join now! We aren't very far in either.

Y

Yifun618

Totally possible! I removed a lot of the stuff that would be a pain to explain to everybody and simplified it for a great RP experience.

I was actually wondering why you didn't use the 4 Edicts, but now that I think about it they'd probably be too difficult for anyone who hasn't read the series to use ~w~

Well, seeing as we have no Magical Beasts yet, I think I'll be the first ~

Beast Name: Sariel

Beast Species: Flickering Thunder Fox

Element: Lightning

Unique Features of Beast: Sariel is a house-cat sized Thunder fox with Light Fuchsia fur. Her glossy fur is soft to the touch and has minor defensive capabilities, only being able to cushion any blows she may receive. She has small, elongated claws, which are her main method of offense, but won't do much to any opponent with a decent defense, or thick enough skin. Her most striking features are her eyes which, like all thunder-foxes, contain a unique pattern and may flicker whenever she uses the thunder element.

Additional Information: Flickering Thunder Foxes, are as the name suggest, a variety of fox-type magical beast proficient in the thunder element. They are small in stature usually only growing as large as a Medium Sized dog. Flickering Thunder Foxes look nearly Identical to other types of Thunder-Attribute foxes, except they tend to be more streamline and can be identified by the thunderbolt pattern reflected in their eyes.

Glad to hear. Okay, well here goes.

Characters Name: Xavier Skylark
Warrior/Magnus: Warrior
Element of Battle-Qi: Fire
Appearance: Xavier has messy dirty blonde hair that is about four inches long. He has a thin face with a more rounded chin. His eyes are a rich mahogany color, while his skin is a light peach. His entire body is speckled with scars from fights, but still retains a slighly handsome look. His clothes primarily consist of light colors, that are loose and flexible for easy movement.
Preferred Weapon Type: Xavier has three main, weapon preferences. The first is simple gauntlets, where his Battle-Qi, is outputed creating explosive punches that do a chunk of damage, but is t very precise. His other weapon is a scimitar with a silver blade and bronze hilt.
Battle Strategy: Depends on the weapon being used. But overall a fierce straightforward
If using gauntlets- Beat the crud out of his opponents with a flurry of hits. More instinct baised.
If using Scimitar- Attacking in a head on assault towards a specified target in an attempt to weaken his foe, for a final attack.
Magic Affinity: Very little.
Additional Information: Born and raised in the O' Brian Empire. Was a neighborhood fighter, ad often got into fist fights with neighborhood boys. Xavier is an adventurer who often runs around and explores new places as much as he can. Bacon.

Y

Yifun618

Glad to hear. Okay, well here goes.

Characters Name: Xavier Skylark
Warrior/Magnus: Warrior
Appearance: Xavier has messy dirty blonde hair that is about four inches long. He has a thin face with a more rounded chin. His eyes are a rich mahogany color, while his skin is a light peach. His entire body is speckled with scars from fights, but still retains a slighly handsome look. His clothes primarily consist of light colors, that are loose and flexible for easy movement.
Preferred Weapon Type: Xavier has three main, weapon preferences. The first is simple gauntlets, where his Battle-Qi, is outputed creating explosive punches that do a chunk of damage, but is t very precise. His other weapon is a scimitar with a silver blade and bronze hilt.
Battle Strategy: Depends on the weapon being used. But overall a fierce straightforward
If using gauntlets- Beat the crud out of his opponents with a flurry of hits. More instinct baised.
If using Scimitar- Attacking in a head on assault towards a specified target in an attempt to weaken his foe, for a final attack.
Magic Affinity: Very little.
Additional Information: Born and raised in the O' Brian Empire. Was a neighborhood fighter, ad often got into fist fights with neighborhood boys. Xavier is an adventurer who often runs around and explores new places as much as he can. Bacon.
Accepted!

Y

Yifun618

I was actually wondering why you didn't use the 4 Edicts, but now that I think about it they'd probably be too difficult for anyone who hasn't read the series to use ~w~

Well, seeing as we have no Magical Beasts yet, I think I'll be the first ~

Beast Name: Sariel

Beast Species: Flickering Thunder Fox

Element: Lightning

Unique Features of Beast: Sariel is a house-cat sized Thunder fox with Light Fuchsia fur. Her glossy fur is soft to the touch and has minor defensive capabilities, only being able to cushion any blows she may receive. She has small, elongated claws, which are her main method of offense, but won't do much to any opponent with a decent defense, or thick enough skin. Her most striking features are her eyes which, like all thunder-foxes, contain a unique pattern and may flicker whenever she uses the thunder element.

Additional Information: Flickering Thunder Foxes, are as the name suggest, a variety of fox-type magical beast proficient in the thunder element. They are small in stature usually only growing as large as a Medium Sized dog. Flickering Thunder Foxes look nearly Identical to other types of Thunder-Attribute foxes, except they tend to be more streamline and can be identified by the thunderbolt pattern reflected in their eyes.
You may be forgetting something in additional information.....
And yeah, I felt it would be annoying to explain edicts to people so I just didn't bother with them. I mean, even the books don't give the best explanation for what they are.

Character Name: Lao Chunyae

Element of Battle-Qi: Light

Appearance: Lao has black hair tied in a braid that reaches his waist, a lanky but well-toned body structure, and very dark blue eyes. The right side of his face is heavily scarred from burns and not very nice to look at. He wears an oriental jade top with gold patterns of eastern dragons. He also wears baggy black leggings, black shoes, a beige cloak, and an asian-style straw hat with the brim covering his eyes.

Preferred Weapon Type: Lao has been trained in several disciplines of hand to hand combat and weapons, though he holds his Chinese straight sword as his personal favorite. Kept in a scabbard by his side, this double-edged sword is made of durable steel with a brass hilt in the shape of a dragon's head.

Battle Strategy: Graceful, light, and acrobatic, Lao uses an analytical approach when it comes to battle, scouting out their techniques with swift evasion and blocking, as well as light attacks and blows to see how they react. Once he finds his opponent's weaknesses, he exploits them endlessly until his opponent is disabled before entering an all-out attack phase with swift, powerful, and precise strikes.

Magical Affinity: He knows a few magical techniques, but hasn't perfected them yet, and is still working on them.

Additional Information:
Lao was born and raised in a land to the east of the Yulan continent as a prince. However, he hated his life there. His father was a corrupt force who successfully brainwashed his entire kingdom into believing he was a savior, the only thing keeping harmony in the land. The residents were all fanatics, eager to please their king, his two generals and six lords, and their armies. However, Lao finally found kinship in two local peasants, and the three had many adventures and good times together as children. He also enjoyed combat training with his uncle Zen, who knew Lao's father for the evil tyrant he really was. At the age of 15, however, Lao was forced to flee the kingdom with the aid of his uncle after failing to rescue his two friends, who were arrested and executed for stealing, and made a vow to return and kill those who wronged him. Zen perished from his injuries on the way to the harbor, and Lao managed to stow away on a ship for Yulan. He now wanders the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts, training to finally dethrone his father and snap his kingdom out of his trance.

Lao is a very quiet individual, not speaking up unless he feels it to be necesarry. His scarred face is a testament to his failure to protect his friends and the rest of his bitter past, so as a result, he despises his own reflection. He also has a strong dislike for bacon, which he personally finds too crispy and greasy to be enjoyable. He often spends his free time training and honing his technique, or observing the world around him.

Y

Yifun618

Character Name: Lao Chunyae

Element of Battle-Qi: Light

Appearance: Lao has black hair tied in a braid that reaches his waist, a lanky but well-toned body structure, and very dark blue eyes. The right side of his face is heavily scarred from burns and not very nice to look at. He wears an oriental jade top with gold patterns of eastern dragons. He also wears baggy black leggings, black shoes, a beige cloak, and an asian-style straw hat with the brim covering his eyes.

Preferred Weapon Type: Lao has been trained in several disciplines of hand to hand combat and weapons, though he holds his Chinese straight sword as his personal favorite. Kept in a scabbard by his side, this double-edged sword is made of durable steel with a brass hilt in the shape of a dragon's head.

Battle Strategy: Graceful, light, and acrobatic, Lao uses an analytical approach when it comes to battle, scouting out their techniques with swift evasion and blocking, as well as light attacks and blows to see how they react. Once he finds his opponent's weaknesses, he exploits them endlessly until his opponent is disabled before entering an all-out attack phase with swift, powerful, and precise strikes.

Magical Affinity: He knows a few magical techniques, but hasn't perfected them yet, and is still working on them.

Additional Information:
Lao was born and raised in a land to the east of the Yulan continent as a prince. However, he hated his life there. His father was a corrupt force who successfully brainwashed his entire kingdom into believing he was a savior, the only thing keeping harmony in the land. The residents were all fanatics, eager to please their king, his two generals and six lords, and their armies. However, Lao finally found kinship in two local peasants, and the three had many adventures and good times together as children. He also enjoyed combat training with his uncle Zen, who knew Lao's father for the evil tyrant he really was. At the age of 15, however, Lao was forced to flee the kingdom with the aid of his uncle after failing to rescue his two friends, who were arrested and executed for stealing, and made a vow to return and kill those who wronged him. Zen perished from his injuries on the way to the harbor, and Lao managed to stow away on a ship for Yulan. He now wanders the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts, training to finally dethrone his father and snap his kingdom out of his trance.

Lao is a very quiet individual, not speaking up unless he feels it to be necesarry. His scarred face is a testament to his failure to protect his friends and the rest of his bitter past, so as a result, he despises his own reflection. He also has a strong dislike for bacon, which he personally finds too crispy and greasy to be enjoyable. He often spends his free time training and honing his technique, or observing the world around him.

Accepted!

Kyuukon

Previously Kyubi~
Character Name: Blair
Appearance: Blair has the appearance of a young girl. But looks a little older than she looks. She has blonde hair and deadpan blue eyes.
Preferred Weapon Type: She wields a rifle that possesses strong fire-like small explosions. The drawback is that she can only use it a certain amount of times before her magic runs out.
Battle Strategy: She prefers to stay in far range from her allies. And she tends to use 1 bullet at a time since it possess strong fire power.
Additional Information: Ever since growing up in the O'Brein Empire, Blair usually shows an apethetic expression on her face and usually is distant with others but she does show some compassion for people. She tends to eat bacon in her own time since it is her favorite food to eat.

If there is anything you want me to change, I'll do it.

Y

Yifun618

Character Name: Blair
Appearance: Blair has the appearance of a young girl. But looks a little older than she looks. She has blonde hair and deadpan blue eyes.
Preferred Weapon Type: She wields a rifle that possesses strong fire-like small explosions. The drawback is that she can only use it a certain amount of times before her magic runs out.
Battle Strategy: She prefers to stay in far range from her allies. And she tends to use 1 bullet at a time since it possess strong fire power.
Additional Information: Ever since growing up in the O'Brein Empire, Blair usually shows an apethetic expression on her face and usually is distant with others but she does show some compassion for people. She tends to eat bacon in her own time since it is her favorite food to eat.

If there is anything you want me to change, I'll do it.
That's fine. Acceptance!

Y

Yifun618

So, I realize the pacing of an RP of this type may be a bit slow. So, I propose something. How about, after this conflict has been avoiding, we have a time skip? Maybe 4-5 years where our characters spend time improving themselves, only to reunite as they finally exit the mountain range. As they exit, they learn that the O'Brien empire has declared war on the Rhine Empire, and Baruch seems like they might jump in at any time. Our characters could fight each other (different empires, you know), maybe try to stop the war, go separate ways, etc. What do you guys think?

So, I realize the pacing of an RP of this type may be a bit slow. So, I propose something. How about, after this conflict has been avoiding, we have a time skip? Maybe 4-5 years where our characters spend time improving themselves, only to reunite as they finally exit the mountain range. As they exit, they learn that the O'Brien empire has declared war on the Rhine Empire, and Baruch seems like they might jump in at any time. Our characters could fight each other (different empires, you know), maybe try to stop the war, go separate ways, etc. What do you guys think?
:'|:'|:'|
I'm having exams right now, so I'll won't really be able to post for a while. I'm only gonna be keeping up with one RP until about the 25th

Y

Yifun618

:'|:'|:'|
I'm having exams right now, so I'll won't really be able to post for a while. I'm only gonna be keeping up with one RP until about the 25th
Understandable! I'm actually in the same boat right now, get out the same day lol. We can hold off until then, too.

Ahem, my once a week appearance aside...

I'd be up for that! It gives us a chance to develop our characters off screen as well. Can we assume that our characters train under tutors, though? There is more than one character who is unaligned, so I don't see everybody participating in the war.

Y

Yifun618

Hey everyone, sorry for the delay. Just got back from vacation, you know how it is. If anyone wants to post to initiate the time skip, fine by me. I can't as it would be a double post.

Kyuukon

Previously Kyubi~
I like that idea. How about we do it after this scene that's happening so our characters get to know and learn about each other more? It would seem like a good idea.