• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

BIG STORM!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a topic where you post the worst storms you've been in. As I post this, a huge storm is rollin' into town! I don't know much about it, but I've heard thunder, and get this: We have outside chairs with cushions on them, so we put them in before a storm. I held one and a large gust of wind nearly knocked me back. I am sincerely worried about my dad and grandpa. Yikes! Big thunder!!

One other storm comes to mind as I type this. The storm of June 1st, 2007. I was in 4th Period Science class when a big storm rolled in. A girl next to me was scared. We continue working. A little lightning/thunder. Then, they get reeeaaal dark. We have a Tornado Warning. We all get into position and wait until about 2:00 to 2:10. Turns out, a tornado hit a nearby town. Close Call. This time.
My mom's friend's boyfriend's father's house was decimated in the twister.

I live in the Midwest, so I'm used to it. So, I bid you adieu, my fellow Pokecharmians. Until next time, good bye. ... BIG THUNDER!!

AL

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Poor you... I also have a lot of Tornadoes nearby, though they never hit us, only nearby cities. :p

Anyways, I remember once, in 3rd grade, there was this big storm, and everyone was stuck inside the school about 30 minutes after school was supposed to be out. There were huge gusts of wind and rain was pouring down like a waterfall. I wasn't able to get to my afterschool after 3:30, which is saying something. And even when I was able to go out, the storm had moved on to the afterschool place! It was horrible, almost as if the storm was following me!

Also, once, in 4th grade or something, there was a blackout, and it happened right when I was in the restroom! I couldn't see anything, as there were no windows (thank goodness. PRIVACY, peoples!), and there wasn't a crack under the door, either. I bumped into many stalls (they were so close together! Darn them!), and it took me a long time to get to the door. And for those of you guys who don't know, I'm scared of the dark. I had goosebumps or whatever everywhere, and at that time I was superstitious, so I was afraid of Bloody Mary. But anyways, the important thing is, I got out, but for the rest of the day, we had to do our classes in the dark, as it was raining outside.

There are lots of storms that happened in my lifetime, but I don't want to post all of them here. But those two were probably the ones that stuck in my memory the longest.

Hmm...I remember a big windstorm in 1st grade. I even think the power went out because of it. The only reason I remember it is because we were doing a singing dealy (seriously...>.>; ) and we were doing a cowboy one and my hat kept falling off.

I don't really remember any giaganto ones...I just remember my brother going to be with me and we'd look at the lightening bolts and say, "That one almost made me blind!" all the time...good times.

Well, my friend was going to college in New Orleans when Hurricane Katrina hit.

As for storms I've personally been in, once I was out tubing along a river with some friends when there was suddenly a hailstorm (where I live, those kinds of storms only happen once every, like, 7 years...)
Those hailstones stung a lot! Luckily, we were able to find shelter.

Ouch... well, wait till you hear of THE MICROBURST!! I don't remember what day it took place, but it was night time. The wind was blowing pretty hard. Then, the lights flicker about three times. We get our stuff together and we look outside. A HUGE gust of wind, that lasted maybe three minutes, blew down two gigantic branches down from our Oak tree outside. We have a rope swing that dodged a bullet,and the next day we had to pick them all up. And, two large pieces fell so hard that they got partially embedded into the ground! Now my dad has a cement tile keeping one hole closed.

AL has Spoken!

Bleck. The 'Microburst' sounds baaaad.

We had a nasty one last night. First, to understand my situation, you have to know that my bed is horizontal to three windows.

It had the loudest, and largest, lightning I've ever heard. Don't forget the thunder. It flashed across my windows, and I covered my eyes, not out of fear, I'm fine with storms, because it was so bright, I couldn't sleep. Then, around eleven forty-five, it got so big, I left the room, actually fearing for my safety. Me, the person who doesn't fear storms. I'm not even afraid of tornados, unless they're near my city. xD When we have to go to our neighbor's basement, I'm the calm one, while everybody else is scrambling.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Wow, that must have been pretty, er, scary, Artiste.

Has anyone else been getting a lot of storms lately, because over here, we have storms/rain 5 times a week, every week. I can't sleep sometimes because I hear hail or thunder practically right outside my windows. Yes, right outside my windows. My house shakes a lot whenever thunder sounds from within 2 miles away.

My house nearly crumbled last month, because, it wasn't raining where I lived, but close by, there was a lot of lightning and stuff. I heard the plates downstairs rattling. When there was one really loud thunder (imagine over 100 drums. playing at the same time, in a non soundproof room) my dad awoke and said that he was dreaming that he was under a bridge and that he was in war. It looks like he was dreaming about bombs.

It stinks to not be able to tell whether somebody's being sarcastic over the internet. Unless they're being plain about it. xD

That sounds like it stinks. Five times a week? Urgh. Even I wouldn't be able to handle that, and I shudder to think what my brother would do....

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
What your brother would do? What, is he scared of thunder or something?

And, just to let you know, it's not storms five times a week, it's rain and/or storms.

Ahhhh. Thanks for clearing that up. xD

No, he's afraid of storms in general.

Edit: Another one today. -_- A tornado warning in our county. I still wasn't scared. xD There was THE largest lightening I've seen like, EVA. And hail the size of softballs. O.O

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Living in the UK, and near London, we don't get too many huge storms (unlike the midlands, if you heard about the floods...). The worst over here caused a two-day blackout for the whole town... I remember my sister couldn't see what she'd laid the table with and gave me two knives and no forks. ^^"

When I went to New York, we were heading out for a weekend trip to Canadia. We had to go to a car rental place up at Newark airport, so we went there by bus... After we'd sorted out the car stuff, we walked outside - and dashed back in again. A second in the downpour and my dad was already soajked to the skin; it was really that bad. We managed to get to the car (finally), and put the wipers on full blast, along with the air conditioning. Then there was the hugest rumble of thunder I've ever heard, and sheet lightning, bright blue, blazed about a mile away. Scariest storm of my life...

The worst storm I've been in are tropical depressions that come from southern US and up the eastern coast. I live in Pennsylvania and it doesn't fail that our town (the lower part) becomes flooded about once a year. We usually lose power and if its during school, school is cancelled for a day or two, sometimes more.

Well I live In one of the safest places in the US ;D but, It so freaking hot around this area :( and we dont get snow either :'( well except that one year about 3 to 4 years ago on christmas eve(only about an inch). However there was this one time when we were still living in a trailer. The winds and rain got heavy we watched trough the window as three palm trees broke and fell all suden the trailer shook It turned out a large branch from the tree in front of the trailer had broken off and hit the trailer it was awful especially since one of my little borther is afraid of loud booms like thunder and fireworks its just to bad that his birthday is on new years.

I live in the North of England and we rarely get big storms, the odd crackle thats about it!
the worst storm Ive been in though was in Barcelone, it was really frightening, we could see the lightning hitting the ground so we ran into this little cafe, it was great thogh! High octane, mann!
:]

One time when I was five or six or seven, I was coming home from my daycare place. There was a horrid dust storm. It was so bad, you cold barely see the car in front of you. I was little, so of course I was a little scared. I was daydreaming of someone like Spidey or SuperMan saving us, then I heard tires screeching, and a crash. I look out the back window and seetwo crashed cars. I then look out the side window and see a car swerving. Then another car slams into the swerving one. I almost starting crying. It was scary.

Icestorm of 1988, it hit all of quebec and regions near it reallllly hard. No electricity in some places for days. I missed a week of school since half the roads where closed and the school had no power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_ice_storm_of_1998
Here is a wiki article about it.

We had this major ice storm the winter of my ninth grade year--2004. Everything was frozen over and the power was out for a long time in some places. My friend had gotten a kitten for Christmas and he left it outside during the storm. It was a kitten for goodness sakes! He was fifteen and he knew better! Let's just say this didn't end well for the kitten. ~rant over~

A few years ago we got hit with the remnants of a hurricane (can't remember his name) and I think it rained the whole week. Some places had major flooding. And let's not forget the tornado that hit downtown Atlanta a few weeks ago. I wasn't in that storm but I do go to school in Atlanta. They still haven't replaced all the windows in the buildings.

We had this major ice storm the winter of my ninth grade year--2004. Everything was frozen over and the power was out for a long time in some places. My friend had gotten a kitten for Christmas and he left it outside during the storm. It was a kitten for goodness sakes! He was fifteen and he knew better! Let's just say this didn't end well for the kitten. ~rant over~

A few years ago we got hit with the remnants of a hurricane (can't remember his name) and I think it rained the whole week. Some places had major flooding. And let's not forget the tornado that hit downtown Atlanta a few weeks ago. I wasn't in that storm but I do go to school in Atlanta. They still haven't replaced all the windows in the buildings.

And most americans think Canadian weather is bad lol Id take my good old snow storms over a hurricane any day.

And most americans think Canadian weather is bad lol Id take my good old snow storms over a hurricane any day.

Lol

:) We don't need a snowstorm in Atlanta considering it only takes an inch or two of snow to shut the city down (I think that ice storm really hit hard, especially at the airport). And since those were only the remnants of a hurricane, we didn't see the worst of it. Some places had thunderstorms, some just had rainstorms. Actually, the state could do with a week long rainstorm with the drought we're in. As far as I know, it's been a long time since Georgia took a direct hit from a storm. Not saying it couldn't, it just hasn't happened yet.

One of my goals is to visit a place where the snow comes higher than your ankles.

One of my goals is to visit a place where the snow comes higher than your ankles.
Come to qubec then, middle of december I got a nasty cold from having to go by the back entrance of my appartement building (I had forgotten my keys and it was pretty late) and I had snow to my waist so I was pretty much swimming O.o

Status
Not open for further replies.