• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ash's travel companions in the anime, what are your opinions?

I don't know how many people still watch the anime here, but since another generation is ending and Ash is getting new travel compaions once again, what are your opinions on the matter?

Personally I haven't really enjoyed the female lead in the anime for a long time. Now I'm not one of those, "nostalgia" people so I couldn't care less that Misty is gone, (in fact, getting rid of Misty when they did was probably the best decision the writers made in the series), but at the same time I feel the newer female companions are just...bland? Iris comes across as a watered-down version of Misty with a dragon, and she's barely gone through any development since BW began.

Then there was Dawn, who initially I thought I was going to really like. generally became a very flat and bland female Ash clone as DP progressed. After the initial freshness of DP wore off, I realized the only reason anyone thought they liked Dawn was simply because of the sheer mass of screentime she was given over the previous leads, but then when you stop to think about her personality its generally just a flat girly character. She always came across as a step down from May to me too, as if the writers were trying too hard to differentiate her from May but wound up making just a girly Ash clone in comparison. Factor in how poor the group dynamics of the DP trio were and how boring her rivals were. there really wasn't much to say about her outside of her performance in the Contests.

I liked pre-Sinnoh Brock (before he got stale), and liked Cilan. Tracey and Max generally felt like filler so I can't really say much about them.

Basically I'm kind of disappointed. I thought pre-Johto Misty (before Togepi derailed her personality), and May generally had the best personalities, and from then on out the female lead has been in decline. Thoughts?