• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ash's best/worst gym leader (or frontier brain) battle

The title says it all. Ash has battled many gyms leaders so which battles do you think are the best and/or worst. Mine are as follows:

Vs. Sabrina: She turned him into a doll for crying out loud! That was cool. This one was probably my all-time favorite of Ash's battle.

Vs. Whitney Round one: I felt Ash's pain as I was defeated the same way he was: that Roll Outing Miltank.

Vs. Brawly Round one: Honestly. What was Ash thinking? That's all I have to say.

Vs. Spenser: I also really liked this one. It showed Sceptile at his very best.

His most painful Gym Battle would probably be at Viridian Gym...

And my favorite Battle is with Wattson, it doesn't get anymore "godmodding" than that battle...

Ash' battle with Brawley was terrible, any gym leader that has unevolved pokémon that ash loses to is instantly a bad battle in my books.
Faulkner's gym with Pidgeot vs Charizard was pretty awesome though, I liked how in Johto ash fought gyms with some decent power to them to start off with, Hoenn and Sinnoh have been so awful with Ash losing to the wrong type of pokémon constantly. I mean seriously who are the writers kidding, Pikachu must be at least level 90 by now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I personally found both Brawley battles to be quick-paced and awesome, though I forget if the dub stripped them of some of their music (half the time the music itself makes the battle). Ash losing to a leader or losing Pokemon in a Gym battle has never really bugged me. If he didn't, they'd just end up as boring imo. I tend to forget about Pikachu's power levels because (a) it was godmoding from the start, and (b) it's still up to Ash to command it in battle, and many of Pikachu's hits result from poor calls. There's also some debate as to whether a Pokemon's stats truly raise the same way in the Anime reality as they would in-game. Pikachu is clearly a powerhouse when it wants to be (even in the first Rorak battle it proved that much), but that doesn't necessarily mean its defenses are uber high too. But eh. Just my 2 cents on it.

Anyways, other faves for me are the Battle Vs Lt. Surge (for this one I am 100% biased), the Blaine rematch, the battle against Whitney (loved when Cyndaquil started diving into the holes. One of that thing's finest moments), the second Tate and Liza battle (the finale of it was just so WTF-ness), and ... probably the majority of Battle Frontier's.

I can't think of any battles I hated offhand, but I know there are a few. I'll get back to you on that.

I haven't seen much of the Hoenn series, but I Loved the Tate & Liza battle. Proves that Solrock and Lunatone can battle together quite well. :)

Oh, and Brandon battle. The best! Okay, it's because he used the Regis...

The one I hated was (sorry,Carmen Lopez) the Sabrina one. Ash caught a Haunter! And it bailed on him! >:( Big fan of Ghost-types.

AL has spoken.

The one I hated was (sorry,Carmen Lopez) the Sabrina one. Ash caught a Haunter! And it bailed on him! >:( Big fan of Ghost-types.

AL has spoken.

It's fine with me. As a matter of fact, the only thing that bugged me was the fact that he didn't keep Haunter. I wish we could see a return appearence of Sabrina. Unlikely, but it's a wish of mine.

My favories...
Vs Sabrina: I found Haunter bailing to be funny actually, but I do wish Ash would have kept it. And I did like the doll part too.
Vs Tucker: Okay, okay, I admit I'm a Tucker fangirl, so I was biased for this one. XD But I