• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Another Pokemon with too many choices: Electabuzz

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
After realizing something stupid I'd overlooked about my original moveset idea (jerks thumb at Beeps Electric-type poll) I'm looking for advice on picking the final attack. My every intent for Electabuzz is to create a Special-stat sweeper, but I've had my eye on Crosschop for awhile... Either way, I'm open to other ideas now.

The two I have thus far:

1st set - Modest Nature (Ups Sp. Attack, Downs Attack)
- Thunder Bolt
- Ice Punch
- Psychic
- ?????

Initally I wanted Fire Punch as well to defeat Grass-types (because of their resistance to Electric attacks), and, being a big dolt, I didn't even consider that Ice Punch already did that. Now I'm questioning replacing it if something better actually exists... Fire Punch would still give me a wider range of attacks (ie. against Ice/Bug types) but is there something better (Special-type or stat altering) to replace it with? T-Wave/Sesmic toss are always an answer, possibly Toxic aswell... Any thoughts?
Barrier could be useful but only if I was planning to wait and teach Buzz Ice Punch through Emerald instead (which isn't such a bad idea). When do you first meet the Emerald move tutor anyways, and how does he work?

2nd set:

(Nature - ????)
- Thunder Bolt
- Brick Break/Cross Chop
- Ice Punch
- Psychic ?

Anyways, this moveset would again depend on Emerald if I were to go for Cross Chop because of the breeding problem (Medicham can't learn Cross Chop, thus no CC and Ice Punch). Cross Chop's power and critical hit rate are very tempting, but its accuracy could screw me up. Is it worth the extra work over Brick Break? ... "Why a Fighting-type attack at all?" you might be asking now. It'd namely be fore the added attack range (ie. against Ice, Normal, Steel, and Dark).
Next, Psychic is on there because I tend not to train Psychic-types and could use the move, but I'm still wondering if its worth it for this set (could two physical attacks be the way to go? Possibly something stat-altering? I'm open for suggestions).
Either way, this moveset wouldn't be good with a Modest nature. Either a stalemate one or something that downed the defences would be my choice, but which do you guys think is best? Defence doesn't really matter in the face of EQ (it'll probably 1 hit-KO it anyways) but Sp. Defence is higher to begin with... Even after thatt, which stat should I raise? Sp. Attack again? As of now the majority of my moves are Special-based, but there's always Speed... (To some I might be worrying about the Nature too much, but believe me - I've seen the differences they can make, and why start off on a bad foot if you can help it?)

Buzz's base stats look like this:
HP: 334
Attack: 265
Defence: 213
Sp. Attack: 289
Sp: Defence: 269
Speed: 309

If anyone has any other ideas feel free to post 'em no matter how different they are to mine above. In the end I may very well end up training two Electabuzz's...

EDIT: Something off the top of my head:

- T-Bolt
- Ice Punch (Emerald)
- Brick Break
- Barrier

Yes? No? I think I rather like it :)

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
If I were you I'd go for a nature that gave more attack and less speed for that last moveset. And the one before it.

CC is NOT worth it. I tried training a pokemon with Cross Chop, but I came off worse, the damned attack was too inaccurate. You could go for substitute/focus punch, I suppose, but I don't really like combining those two attacks. Too cheap. Anyway...

That first moveset could benefit from Counter, IMO. If your up against like a Machamp or something, something with high attack and physical moves, you could take advantage of it by using Counter and dealing double damage back.

But hey, that's me.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Less Speed for the last moveset would screw Barrier up, tho. If I get hit before getting the chance to use it once I'll be dead next turn anyways. As for the 2nd, tho, I'll keep it in mind...

Counter is a great idea, actually, and I could easily move tutor it on. I'll think about it, too.

Still open for other suggestions ^^