• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokémon GO to be Shown Off at Game Developer Conference

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
228081_Pokemon_Go_logo.png
It has been announced that mobile game Pokémon GO will be shown off at the Game Developer Conference in San Francisco next month.

This will be the first chance for people to see in-depth how Pokémon GO works. The special session will be held by Niantic CEO John Hanke and will explain more about the development of the game, its encouragement to get Pokémon trainers outdoors, and the future of the next evolution of augmented reality and real-world mobile gameplay experiences.

Game Developer Conference will be held from the 14th of March until the 18th. It's not yet clear which day the Pokémon GO session will be held.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm fairly sure, given the nature of the product, that Pokemon Go will play similarly to Niantic's other game, Ingress. It was stated early on in Pokemon Go's production that it would revolve around a similar principle and run on the same engine. For the uninitiated, Ingress is a game where literally getting out of the house and travelling the world is the goal. You are assigned to one of two teams and key places on the world map are labeled "portals". Imaginary wars are waged at portal locations to take control over them and eventually the entire world. Pokemon Go is very likely to run on a similar principle, but having some pokemon mechanics thrown in. It's very likely that you'll be able to find certain kinds of pokemon at different portal locations and that the types you can find there will change periodically. Like Ingress, special events may be held in big cities such as Miami, Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, etc. These will probably be legendary pokemon events in the case of Pokemon Go. What Pokemon Go may add to what is very likely to be a very Ingress-esque experience is the ability to actually battle other pokemon trainers in passerby events and gain experience that way along with certain portal locations possibly being labeled as pokemon centers or gyms.

Meh... I should stop ranting. This is all theory anyway and it probably wasn't appropriate to post that here. XD I'm really into seeing what Pokemon Go will really be about considering all the hype that's been surrounding it since its announcement.

RafuRum

Formerly Raf-A-Rum
I've been seeing posts about it going to be released on feb 27th... anyone can confirm that?... it seems a bit shady

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I've been seeing posts about it going to be released on feb 27th... anyone can confirm that?... it seems a bit shady
We've not heard anything official about a release date, so the 27th is just a rumour. It's not an unreasonable guess, though. Apps can be released much more easily than full physical games, so we could easily see a release with hardly any notice.

RafuRum

Formerly Raf-A-Rum
We've not heard anything official about a release date, so the 27th is just a rumour. It's not an unreasonable guess, though. Apps can be released much more easily than full physical games, so we could easily see a release with hardly any notice.
I thought so too.. but the fake beta tests going around makes it sound like the "27th" thing is tied to it too... welp better not hype myself too much and wait for official news.. :3

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
@MissPinkRebelle Yeah, that's the reason an awful lot of the recent rumours centre around February 27th. :) I have no doubt that something will happen that day, but we won't know what until the big day itself.