• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

My first Topic, a.k.a: What does you name mean?

Ah, the first topic that will be made by me. I feel excited, for some odd reason. Now, I am making this Topic because I recently found that my name, Ehren, has several base meanings in German.

Now, Ehren is prnounced, "Aaron", so do keep that in mind. I found that it's base meaning, it's core, is "Honor". It can also mean "Sword of Honor", or "Honorable Blade". Now, please also know that from time to time I choose a language, and look up baby names for that language's country of origin. Most sites seem to have meanings of the name as well, which is cool. This time around, I picked German. I was surprised to find my name in the "E" section. I also found Wendell (A name I like, it means "Wanderer") and Selik (I though Selik sounded cool, but I forgot it's meaning. XD)

Do your names have meanings in other languages? Share them with me, please~!

My name, Kristie, apparrently means "Follower of Christ" in latin... and Rebecca means "to tie" in hebrew... > > ... and my last name means "son of leod" in scottish, so i just have a weird name all together.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
A topic like this already exists. Clicky. You all have my permission to revive this topic if you wish to discuss username origins. Locking this one.

Rawr, scratch that. I was alerted that this topic was for actual names, my bad >> Continue on.

I have absolutely no idea what my first and middle name (Travis Paige) actually mean. I know was named after a country singer. I've no clue where the hell my mom got 'Paige' from) My last name (Bohanan) is an Irish name. It's an extent of Bohan which meas "in them". Yep...I'm just as confused as you are. :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Google time.

The girl's name Katherine... It is of Greek origin, and its meaning is "pure". From the word "katharos". A name in use since at least the third century AD. The early Latin forms Katerina and Caterina became Katharine and Catherine. The French Cateline and English Catlyn came into wider use during the medieval period, and variant spellings and forms were endless. It has been borne by illustrious women such as Saint Catherine of Alexandria, an early martyr; Empress Catherine the Great of Russia; and three of Henry VIII's six wives. Preference in modern times is for the K- spelling, which is closest to the original Greek versions.

Good times. I generally go by Katie (or in some cases, Kate) unless dealing with legalities that require me to use my real, full name.

Also... my middle name.

The girl's name Nicole ... It is of Greek origin, and its meaning is "victorious people". French feminine form of Nicholas. During the Middle Ages names that appear feminine today, like Nicolet and Nicol, were actually male names. Nicola is the Italian form; Nicolette is popular in France. Singer Nicolette Larson; actress Nicole Kidman.

I can't say I've looked around to see if these names have other meanings in other languages, but it'd be interesting if they did...

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
My name, Gad, means 'Fortune' or 'Luck' in Hebrew. I've also read somewhere that it has a relation to the planet Jupiter (Ironic, as I'm a Sagittarius and Jupiter is the planet associated with that starsign).

My real name comes from Malaysia, and means 'Hibiscus Flower'. The other meaning (which I googled), means 'Soused with drink', in the Muslim language apparently. So you can guess which one I normally go for ;D

Actually, my name came out of a necessity to prevent WW3 from erupting between my families. Being firstborn, I was the first daughter of my mother (the only girl in her family), and my father (the only boy in his family), so I was 'special', and with a purely English grandmother wanting a name like 'Enid' or 'Ursula' (no offense meant to anyone with those names), and a purely French grandmother (who was quite patriotic and fought in the French Resistance in WW2), wanting a name like 'Albertine' or 'Charlesette' (same here), my mother decided to get a name from a 'neutral' country like Malaysia.

And thus I was named 'Raya-Jane' (the Jane was so everyone would know I am a girl).

And if you were wondering, it pronounced like 'Ryan', without the 'n'.​

Woah. Sweet! Lots of peoples name and their meanings~! I think the way your famil came up with your name is slightly comical, Chara. But I do like that name. And I believe Cookie's full name would then mean, "Follower of Christ to tie [the] son of Leod." Weird sentence. Sounds like something from the newspapers. Heheahaha.

In my grandmother's language, the name Ehren means "Child of the Sky God". It's actually a shortened version of a much longer name I can neither spell nor pronounce. I just thought that it was cool I had a German meaning too. I think I'm going to go google my name and see all the meanings I can find.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Well, I'm going to post the meaning of my Chinese name (徐寿琳). My last name, 徐, means "slow". Then my "generation" name, 寿, means life. My actual name, I guess you can say, 琳, is some sort of jade. So, literally, word for word, my Chinese name means "slow life jade". XD

Then my real name(that I'm not going to post here)'s meaning. Let's see... one source says that my name means "free man". Another source says, "The name _______ is a baby girl name. The name _______ comes from the English origin. In English, the meaning of the name _______ is: Joy. Song of happiness. Also feminine variant of Charles: manly." Babynames says that my name means "little womanly one".

Yeah. And funny enough, I'm anything but "little", physically, or "womanly", mentally (and I'm not manly either.

Removed my comment from the user name thread and put it here.

My name is a kind of flower (albeit spelled differently) but I didn't know that at first. When I found out I was obsessed with the fact. Actually, my mother wasn't thinking about the flower at all. She got the inspiration for the name from an actress on her one of her favorite TV show at the time. Maybe when (and if) I have a daughter I'll name her after a flower and give it an alternate spelling. I.e. Lileigh instead of Lily.

My middle name is French which I found cool at one point as well. I don't know what it mean though. I'll go and look it up now...

According to one website it means 'advisor' which is scary because I do like to advise and help people. If I do have that daughter I might give her a French name that starts with an 'm'. Maybe Marguerite. Hmmm...Lileigh Marguerite. I like it!

My first name (Camilla) is originally of Latin origin, meaning "Server of the Altar". Young girls would help the priests during religious ceremonies and were called this, while boys while called Camillius. The French name "Camille" means ceremonial young lady and probably comes from the initial Latin. Strangely, the Italian form of Camille circles back to being Camilla.

My middle name (Louise) is French for fame and war. Feminine version of Louis.