• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

May we get a full Pokedex listing, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the cryptidex, but its missing all of the earlier generation Pokemon. See, I have a general question that could be answered if I saw the complete Pokedex here on this site. I want to know when Axew is supposed to evolve. Mine is level 35 and still an Axew.

With the complete Pokedex, I could find that information.

NO OFFSITE REFERENCES PLEASE.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Okay, um. Here's the thing, the Cryptidex as you see it is the result of an incredibly large amount of work from several members of the staff just to get it to this point - and that's a little over a hundred articles. What you're demanding from us is months of work, that we do in our spare time around work or school or anything in the real world... just so you can be too lazy to Google it. (That's a direct link to the Bulbapedia article, by the way. Says what you want in the first paragraph.)

Here the thing: We'd love a full-length Pokedex. But it's always been a lower priority for us, because it's something other sites do better. We call it the Cryptidex because it's designed to showcase the new critters, and information about them, as they're revealed to us - that's something we can do better than a lot of other Pokémon sites. In its current form, it's an information repository for unreleased Pokémon games - we just keep the work afterwards because it's still useful. We never make claims to being a complete Pokédex, which is why it has the name it does!

There are ways and means to speed page creation up from a programmer's point of view, of course, but they'd take a lot of my (extremely limited) free time, which right now is not something I'm able to do - I'm currently working hard on features which need my attention more. When I'm done with this, perhaps we'll sit down as staff and consider the next big thing. Perhaps that might be a full-blown Cryptidex Pro to upgrade what we use already - but honestly, it depends on what we feel the community wants or needs most.

As mentioned, this is not a kibosh on the entire idea - I don't think any of the staff would object to a full-length Pokédex. But we have to do the work for it, and that is a significant amount of work. You're asking us to spend months of our collective time on something, just so you don't have to spend six seconds putting "Axew" into Google and clicking the first result.

Ha ha ha, I wasn't suggesting that I wanted to be lazy. I could have worded it like this:

Could I have site references to a complete pokedex?

But, you did at least answer my question properly. You simply said no because it would take months of work and besides that, there are other sites that do better.

Normally, I would go to Gamefaqs for such information, but ever since the Unova region, they have not listed their regional pokedex like they did for their previous games.

I once had this book (loved it by the way) that was a really in-depth Walk-through style Pokedex that was intended on showing just the sinnoh walkthrough, but they added the complete Pokedex at the back. I thought it was the best thing ever!

Now while I could look at Google and whatnot for these kinds of things, but as a suggestion that would take months of free time, but its sooo worth it in the end, is create a book much like the one for the complete sinnoh region pokedex and perhaps release it after the next games are supposed to come out. This way, beyond Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, all the Pokemon can be listed.

Oh, and speaking of new Pokemon...I know I suggested an MMORPG, that was just one idea, but if you want ideas for a new game that doesn't involve going back in time so to speak...how about doing a series based on the other letters of the alphabet?

There will be another new type of Pokemon called Viral. These types are the kind that have been found to be fast breeding. The enemy Team Squash has decided they are going to use these Viral type Pokemon to "overrun" the human populace. They nearly succeed, but thanks to the fairy type Pokemon and one female heroine (she will look like Nurse joy with a chansey in the trailer), their plot was foiled. Or so is the idea.

Bug Pokemon and Water type Pokemon are going to be what is caught the most initially. The Legendaries will be a Bug/dragon and an Ice/Fairy.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Just use Bulbapedia or Serebii. They're both updated pretty fast, and are generally fairly accurate.

I don't know what use we'd get out of making a book rather than an online Pokédex... given we could never get it published or bound. Copyrighted material, y'know. It'd take even longer than an online Pokédex would and be completely useless. Also, a full book-based Pokédex already exists - they release them separately to the strategy guides now. I'm sure there'll be one updated for ORAS before long.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Incidentally the further-new-game-ideas thing does not belong in this thread but rather in the original new-game-ideas thread you posted. As it stands that's just off-topic and immensely irrelevant.

I feel there's little further discussion value or anything else to add here, so I'm going to lock this thread unless someone else on Staff feels there's anything else to say here.

Status
Not open for further replies.