• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Have you caught them all?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Upon finishing the main story of Black 2 recently I was bitten by the Pokedex completion bug, namely due to my desire to finally obtain the Permit, Oval Charm, and Shiny Charm. I complete my Pokedex every generation so this isn't exactly a new undertaking for me and with X&Y's releases on the horizon it's about time that I finally did so. Progress has been slow but steady. Soon the Permit shall be mine. :angel:

How about you guys? Have any of you already completed your Gen 5 Pokedex or, if you haven't, plan to do so before Gen 6 rolls around? If you're in the process of completing it, what's your current completion status? And who has no interest in completing their Gen 5 'dex whatsoever?

If you're actively filling your 'dex, feel free to keep us updated in this thread as you go. :)

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Actually, I never had any intention of completing the Gen V Pokedex until X&Y were announced. Currently, my White Pokedex is as scant as it used to be with barely 50 Pokemon on a National level. In White2 I went on a catching spree and got my "50 Captures in a Day" Medal and done some breeding and trading for unobtainable Pokemon giving me around 100 in the Unova 'dex. I'm going to wait until I have an open day to go on a mass grinding spree to get the "1 Million Exp in a Day" Medal.

My goal now is to only fill the Unova 'dex in both games because I don't want to transfer my hard earned Legendaries from Gen IV. If I can trade for data from friends I might consider completing the National 'dex. As far as I'm concerned I've already gotten 493 Pokemon in the past so technically all I have to do is get 156 and I've still caught every Pokemon at least once. It would be nice to see all 649 owned in one game but I won't hold my breath.

I don't plan on completing the dex. It never really interested me much. I haven't completed the pokedex in any game and probably never will, I just don't feel like catching every single little critter. :p

I just recently checked and I've only caught 36 pokemon, so yeah xD

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
I'd always intended on completing my Pokédex at some point, but that point has come around a little sooner thanks to this thread. x3

I'm not really interested in getting anything out of it asides from being able to say I've done it. The shiny charm doesn't really interest me considering I've already caught two shiny Pokémon in this game. ^^

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Those who know me probably know I've been attempting, in a very lazy fashion, to do this for a while - and I recently finished a massive trading session that gave me Seen Pokédex entries for every Pokémon I own on my White 2 game, where I plan to unlock the Diploma. Now that's done, I have seen 450 Pokémon and obtained 341 of them, so I'm just over halfway through the National Dex :D

I'm trying to complete my habitat lists because for some reason, I get a big sense of achievement in doing that. Thanks to Katie, I realized that I -do- have the means to get every Pokemon so I may well make a run at completing the whole thing once the habitat lists are done.

Incidentally, the only time I've ever completed a regional dex was in Emerald, and I've never completed a National dex. Let's hope I don't get lazy lol.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Lessee... When I originally decided to complete my Black 2 'dex instead of my White/White 2 dexes (which I've caught the majority of my Pokemon on this generation) I had only registered roughly 50-65 Pokemon on Black 2's National Pokedex. Now my current stats are 280 seen & 132 caught in my Unova dex and 464 seen and 163 caught in my National dex. :)

Still a long way to go, but once I start trading stuff between my various games that number will likely sky rocket. I've just wanted to try catching/evolving/breeding everything that I can on Black 2 alone before digging out my other games to assist.

My immediate goal now is simply to have seen all of the Pokemon in the Unova Pokedex. I believe that's all you need to do in order to unlock the Permit, and once I've done that I can catch lots of new Pokemon! :D

I can never bring myself to complete the entire pokedex, no matter when I try. The two times I was closest was in Pokemon Yellow, when there were only 150. I think the only thing that stopped me then were version exclusives, because I didn't have a link cable back then.

The second time was in Diamond, where I caught multiple boxes full of critters, sorted them into teams, and then used those teams until all the pokemon in them reached their highest evolution. And with a little aid of the GTS, I think I managed to reach the 300s with that, so that's the a grand record for me.

Maybe it'll be something to attempt again in Gen VI, or even in Gen V if the mood strikes me between now and then. I'll take an easier route and import all of those pokemon from Diamond if that happens to get me halfway right off the bat.

I recently managed to complete my pokedex in Black 2. It required a lot of breeding for baby pokemon and a lot of evolving but I got there in the end. I think the hardest pokemon to get were Legendaries from older Gens. I had to use the GTS or bring them forward from my other games which took a while. :)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
A couple of days ago it struck me how little time is left before X&Y release, so I decided to get back to completing my Black 2 'dex. My previous numbers were these:

Now my current stats are 280 seen & 132 caught in my Unova dex and 464 seen and 163 caught in my National dex. :)

After journeying around Unova and, most recently, transferring over two and a half boxes of Pokemon from Diamond to Black 2 (still so many more to go </3), I'm now sitting at 300 seen/206 obtained in my Unova 'dex and 528 seen/313 obtained in my National 'dex. Not too shabby when compared to my previous counts. ^^

My plan at this point is to mass trade various Pokemon over from White and White 2 since they currently house a massive amount of my collection, then I'll get back to more PokeTransferring. Time may be short but I definitely intend to have my Pokedex completed before Gen VI lands. :D

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Noooo. I think I got well over half way though. I have a complete 'Dex on Diamond and my Unova 'Dex is complete on White... so I'm going with a technicality here and saying that I've completed it xD

I shall complete the 'Dex on Pokemon Y. Oh the beauty that shall be the Pokemon Bank~

I have definitely not caught them all. I haven't even caught 100 yet. :p

This is probably because I just completed the main story, and that Black 2 just wasn't very interesting to me. As soon I hopped onto the boat that took me from Virbank City to Castelia, all the fun of it faded, for me. So, I wasn't keen on catching every single Pokemon in that game.

Now, I definitely will try to catch 'em all in Pokemon Y, whenever I get it. Pokemon Bank will be a HUGE asset for accomplishing this goal. After all these years of stubbornly keeping my Pokemon where they are in Diamond, Platinum, Soulsilver, and White, they will all be going to Pokemon Bank, and into Pokemon X/Y at times(as well as the Pokemon in my other games, which I often restarted after transferring).

As soon as I get both Pokemon X/Y and Pokemon Bank, it will be time for the Great PokeMigration!(At least, for most. I've dabbled in the cheat codes to create Pokemon for fun, always post-game, and some may not be allowed to transfer, in which case I will release them and wave goodbye)

Hopefully, in Gen VI, I'll finally be able to say that I fulfilled "Gotta Catch 'Em All!" ;)

I remember trying to complete the National Dex in Black 2 and then just lost interest. Let's see...I have 423 see Pokemon in my Dex so far. 138/277 for the Unova dex so I haven't even SEEN all of them yet, 178/423 for the national dex. That's...pretty bad xD. It's pure laziness on my part because I have access to nearly every single Pokemon in the game without trading with other people.

I'm not sure if I'll be catching them all in Gen VI, but it's worth a shot. I need to be more diligent about catching Pokemon as I go along. I've only ever completed the regional dex in Emerald thus far.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Update time for me~ I recently restarted my attempt to at least fill the Unova 'Dex, which with 301 Pokémon in it puts me nearly half-way to finishing on its own. I've now got the Nature Preserve Permit (and my shiny Haxorus), thanks to Seeing all the Pokémon in Unova, so my Unova Pokédex is currently sitting at 301 seen, 284 obtained, and my National Pokédex is sitting at 504 seen, 420 obtained. :D

I... I only caught 6 pokemon... and I saw about 24 :D

Moderator edit: Removed all those emotes. Please don't overuse them~

Last edited by a moderator:
As soon as I found out about the reward in B2W2 for seeing every Pokémon in the regional dex, I completed that objective rather quickly. However, I've pretty much given up on catching them all. I really want to give it a go in X/Y though, because Pokémon Bank and the improved trading should make things much easier.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Just finished adding my final Pokemon to my Black 2 Unova 'Dex. 301 caught/301 seen. Worth every bit of the effort, too. ♥ (But damn Pawniard and its high evolution level </3)

I'm not stopping here though. I fully intend to complete my National 'Dex before X&Y launch and at least attempt breeding for a Shiny Charmander. Current Nat 'Dex count is 573 seen/465 caught. It's all downhill from here! :)

Me... I've had my Black pokedex done for what must be over a year, Gamefaqs was a large help, I'll explain more about them if anyone wants

But, no, I didn't stop there, I assembled a living pokedex (one of every single pokemon in your boxes) So I could have 649/649 in all my Gen 5 games, but I don't care enough

Before that I completed Yellow's, minus Mew (no trading, I used pokemon stadium's storage as a work around)

Then Pokemon Pearl, I did the same thing as Black, the living pokedex (which will be another goal in X and Y)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Gen-V-Nat-Dex-GET.png

This past Saturday I finally completed my Gen V National Pokedex and obtained my Oval Charm and Shiny Charm. Getting the charms was really nice but I found the completion certificate nifty too. :)

Initially I'd run into a bit of a roadblock. After finishing off my Unova 'Dex it occurred to me that I was missing a massive amount of my previous generation Pokemon. I went a tad nutty checking through all of my Gen IV and V titles (several times over) and still couldn't find the Pokemon, but eventually remembered the existence of ... Pokemon Ranch. :p

Sure enough all of the Pokemon that I'd been missing were safely hopping about my ranch, so I withdrew them all and proceeded to abuse the hell outta the Poké Transfer Lab. In the end I barely had to breed or evolve anything in order to finally hit that 649/649 mark. Must say that I was very grateful to myself from the past for keeping such a thorough Gen IV collection. It'll make things very easy for completing my Gen VI Nat Dex too! XD

Last edited:

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Hee, I haven't even finished my Gen 3 Pokedex, since I haven't finished Emerald :). I still have Pokemon waiting to be traded in Pokemon Box. Yes, the GameCube storage thing <.>.

I do have a complete Gen 3 Pokedex in Ruby, Sapphire, FireRed and LeafGreen though.

At this point I have basically decided to sod ever completing the Gen 4 Pokedex since migrating from Gen 3 to 4 is such a pain (I still have a Ye Olde DS with a GBA cartridge slot, but the Pal Park makes me want to chew my own arms off). Theoretically I would love to complete my Pokedex in Gen 5, but I think I'm going to be happy with seeing them all rather than owning them all.

As for Gen 6? Ask me again in a few months when we know how tedious (or not) the new Pokemon trading mechanic is.

I wanted to know how many people have "caught em all." When i say this i mean LEGITIMATELY. I have tried this several times kinda gave up though, but i'm trying again. :D

pokemon1.jpg

I've caught them all up to Pokemon White/Black 2. Then Pokemon X and Y came out and I've now more to catch! Fun, fun, fun~ Been catching them all since Pokemon Red.

Green Dragon

Formerly supertrainer300
I originally had no intention of doing this, but now that I read this thread, it has awakened my inner completion freak. However, I don't own Pokemon Bank. :p As a counter to this roadblock, I decided to just go for the Regional 'Dex until I can get my dad to cough up the money for Bank. Now off to beat Pokemon Y!

AzureEdge

✧luzrov rulay✧
I've gotten about 500 something Pokemon, up yet I'm only up to the eighth badge. Gotta love wonder trade and GTS!!!
The closest I've gotten to catching them all was in Sinnoh when I was missing only the unobtainable legendairies.

Nope. I've never completed the National Dex, and most likely never will. I have only caught 250 pokemon on Y and only seen about 300 and something pokemon. I want a Shiny Charm though, but I know I'll never ever get one :(
Lol I sound like a noob or something:p