• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Fear is the weakness, or is it?

Tell me, Charmsians. What do you fear? Fear is one of the most primal drives that a human being or anything alive can experience. Although most people would consider fear to be evil, I consider it to be a virtue because without fear, you don't feel alive.

So what do the Charmsians fear the most? I fear snakes, but not as much as I used to when I was younger. I feel like I grew out of my fear over the years but with most people, they don't.

So what do the people of Charms fear the most?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Pff. As if anyone is dumb enough to reveal their weaknesses in public like that. Nice try, Zacky.

(Insert "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." here.)

I'm dumb enough ;D

But seriously I'm actually almost in a perpetual state of fear, it'd be easier to list things that don't strike me with fear as a lot of stuff sets me off. I guess my main fear is failure which is why other things set me off as I see something and I fear it's something I'll fail

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm feeling thoughtful so I'm dumb enough too! :D

I've long had a phobia of bees/wasps/hornets and a fear of the dark, but within recent years I've developed several new fears. A fear of dying, a fear of people I care about dying, and a fear of abandonment. My fear of dying tends to manifest itself in annoying ways, such as my deep anxiety towards airplanes and lesser anxiety towards heights. I've become a fairly fearful person over the past few years. Lots of fun times. ^^;

I wouldn't necessarily say that I consider these fears a "virtue", nor did I feel less alive before developing them, but fears can certainly give you new perspectives that you may not have previously considered (or not have considered as deeply). It's all life experiences, eh?

Last edited:

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
My only real fear is spiders I think. I don't like being in planes but that's more to the fact I always feel so sick on them, rather than fearing them. I also tend to hit a 'omg I need to get off' around six hours into a flight which isn't a nice feeling but that's just cabin fever I guess.

So yeah, spiders. I know it's a silly fear, and I know they're much more frightened of me than I am of them (although I'd question that at times), but I just can't be near them. The freak me out. Weirdly, I'm more frightened of dead spiders than living ones. I have some weird fear that they only look dead and will move super fast if I approach xD

My biggest fear is being stranded in the middle of the ocean. Like I can't see any land or anything and there's nothing around and I'm just kicking my feet trying to stay above water and meanwhile I have no idea what could be swimming underneath me.

Also ghosts. I don't care if they're friendly I would never want to see a ghost I would shit my pants.

My only real fear is spiders I think. I don't like being in planes but that's more to the fact I always feel so sick on them, rather than fearing them. I also tend to hit a 'omg I need to get off' around six hours into a flight which isn't a nice feeling but that's just cabin fever I guess.

So yeah, spiders. I know it's a silly fear, and I know they're much more frightened of me than I am of them (although I'd question that at times), but I just can't be near them. The freak me out.

It's not silly at all! I am utterly terrified of spiders, even things that resemble spiders give me the willies. Anytime one of the things is nearby I get the urge to get as far away as physically possible. (Though somehow I adore spider pokemon, go figure)

While I'm not afraid of death, I'm very much afraid of losing people close to me. It's just not something I cope with easily.

I'm feeling thoughtful so I'm dumb enough too! :D

I've long had a phobia of bees/wasps/hornets and a fear of the dark, but within recent years I've developed several new fears. A fear of dying, a fear of people I care about dying, and a fear of abandonment. My fear of dying tends to manifest itself in annoying ways, such as my deep anxiety towards airplanes and lesser anxiety towards heights. I've become a fairly fearful person over the past few years. Lots of fun times. ^^;

I wouldn't necessarily say that I consider these fears a "virtue", nor did I feel less alive before developing them, but fears can certainly give you new perspectives that you may not have previously considered (or not have considered as deeply). It's all life experiences, eh?

I actually share a lot of these fears, although some are relatively minor for me. The fear of dying thing? For me, it's not so much the "dying" part that scares me, but what comes after...and the thought that whatever it is, it will last forever. That is what freaks me out a little, whenever I have ever pondered life and death.

My biggest fear, though, is to be completely and utterly alone. If there was no one there for me, no one to talk to, no one anywhere near me, it would drive me crazy. Like, if I was lost in the woods for a couple weeks, even if I survived, I'd be losing my mind, because there wouldn't be anyone else there with me.

I am going to be dumb enough to share, too.

I have two biggest fears. The first is the dark. My sister is always making fun of me for this. I know most people outgrow the fear, but I was actually backwards. I loved the dark as a kid, and developed a fear of it. I experienced sleep paralysis once in middle school. I think this contributed to the fear. Logically, I know that the experience had nothing to do with being in the dark, but my mind associated it with the dark since it was dark when it happened. It scared me terribly. I remember jumping up as soon as I could finally move and turning the TV on. From that point on, I associated safety with the TV being on. So now I am afraid of the dark AND I need a TV on to sleep. If I'm in a dark room trying to sleep, I hide under my blanket or try to close my eyes as soon as I can.

My other fear is death. Dying and the death of others. Endings are inevitable. I know that. That doesn't stop me from fearing having to face death.

Green Dragon

Formerly supertrainer300
I am going to be dumb enough to share, too.

I have two biggest fears. The first is the dark. My sister is always making fun of me for this. I know most people outgrow the fear, but I was actually backwards. I loved the dark as a kid, and developed a fear of it. I experienced sleep paralysis once in middle school. I think this contributed to the fear. Logically, I know that the experience had nothing to do with being in the dark, but my mind associated it with the dark since it was dark when it happened. It scared me terribly. I remember jumping up as soon as I could finally move and turning the TV on. From that point on, I associated safety with the TV being on. So now I am afraid of the dark AND I need a TV on to sleep. If I'm in a dark room trying to sleep, I hide under my blanket or try to close my eyes as soon as I can.

What is sleep paralysis?

Also, I only have two standing fears. I get a little scared when the airplane that i'm flying in takes off. My second fear is one that I feel many people have. I freak out a bit when I am in a dark place by myself.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Fear of heights. It's the only fear I actually have (outside random horror game/movie/whatever encounters because I hate jump scares), and I've had it since I was little. I can barely go to the second floor of my own house without being frightened to death. Granted, it's easier for me to go UP stairs/escalators/whatever than it is for me to come back down for whatever reason. My friends seem to love making fun of me for that.

I also hate bugs that fly around and I don't like killing them myself, but I'm not actually scared of them. Except for bees and their kind. Okay fine, I lied, I have two phobias, heights and bees/wasps/hornets. They freak me out thanks to being stung by one when I was in 4th grade.

Once during vacation, I had to choose between either heights or flying yellow-and-black stinging insects (there was NOWHERE to hide from them and I couldn't go down the mountain since we were on a tour bus). I chose the bees <<

Large spiders freak me out if it looks bigger than a 2 pence then I refuse to go near it.

Similarly furry insects freak me out so a bee will freak me out but a wasp won't I don't know the reasoning behind it

I used to be afraid of down escalators for falling reasons

Let's see . . .guns, death, atomic bombs, my older sister, animals attacking me, bugs with venom, getting hit by a car again, failure, & disappointing my loved ones.

I know I specifically started fearing death after seeing Princess Mononoke. I don't know why, but after the scene where the Forest Spirit's head was blasted off, I started fearing death because I wasn't sure if there was an afterlife or if it's nothing but pitch black and nothingness for all eternity

Rinoa Heartilly

Mother of Meltans
I'm afraid of moths, needles, mathematics, birds, clowns and phones. Yes, phones.
It's a thing. Telephobia - Google it, man.

I'm also uncomfortable around ants and wasps but I wouldn't call it a fear.

I'm not afraid of dying but I am afraid of how the people I leave behind would take it and whether or not that I've done enough for them and myself. I can't see many being devastated by the loss of me, so it's mainly a "have I lived life in such a way that I can be proud of myself" kinda thing. People I love suffering, dying or being disappointed in me is also something I'm deeply afraid of. I want to do my best for others whilst staying true to myself but sometimes, it just isn't possible to do both and I'll always put being truthful first.

That's about it! I face my fears a lot and I believe that courage, truth and determination to overcome things to further yourself in life is crucial. So maybe one day, I'll lose one of those fears. Frankly, I hope it's the mathematics! My financial abilities are AWFUL, especially when I'm having a full blown panic attack. XD

I have stage fright, which is actually weird since when I was little I could go on a stage and talk about anything without feeling too nervous... my other fear is me changing, I always think of who I am but it always changes throughout the years and I fear of changing who I think I am. I had two other fears before, the fear of bees and heights both of them I overcomed.And I guess im dumb too with telling this XP. I guess my stage fright comes from the thought I will disappoint my parents so I don't know...

Well, I fear Spiders. I mean, you never know if one bite can kill you. Except for Tarantulas, they're pure poison.I also fear Sleeping alone, like every scary thing that scares me will murder me in my sleep.Lastly, I fear Haunted houses, They're freaky and the props they will take you by surprise! (The props may be scarier than they sound!)

Hmmm.. Should I make a list? ;D
  • Fear of Spiders
While not acctualy a fear, I just hate them. Well, the big ones. They're just so... ugh!
  • Fear of the Dark
I hate being in the dark! Esspecialy after seeing a horror movie, then I feel suspicious about everything.. And I fear that something is going to scare me..
  • Fear of being alone
When I'm alone, I panic. Thanks to.. erm... my fear of being alone.
  • Fear of Failure
I don't want to fail, because it makes me feel bad. And I don't want people to make fun of me because I failed. So, that's the fear in-short.
  • Fear of losing someone close to me
This yet has to happen to me, but I still don't want it to happen. I mean, it's reasonable.
  • Fear of being rejected
I don't want people to laugh to me, or being rejected.. I just.. don't want to, and I fear of it.. okay?

So those are my fears. I have quite allot of them, don't you think?

listen while you enter the hall of spiders

Kumoartwork1.PNG

Black_Recluse.png
wallcreeperground.png

Spider.png

those were spiders from games that i would share. if i went into real ones (besides black widows) id shit bricks. i guess you could say i have severe arachnaphobia.
another thing that scares me is probably seahorse birth, mammal birth (the seahorse birth is the freaky one to me but the less gross one. any mammal birth is gross as fuck and id rather watch wrecking ball for an hour), the future (i sometimes think im going to die soon because time goes too fast), bad diseases or parasites and the possibility of ghosts (whenever my room is dark at night i think someone is watching me so i have to sleep with my light on)

Last edited:

AzureEdge

✧luzrov rulay✧
I'd have to say a fear of heights. But for some reason, I always get the first row in roller coasters.
Besides that a fear of bugs. I'm not taking about small ones, those huge ones that just pop out of nowhere every once in a while. Yea, those ones.
Besides that I have no other fears.

Well, I have this fear of being, like, vilified ( when someone talks about you behing your back, or somethin' like that, dictionary is hard to get), like you feel really uncomfortable when it happens. And I don't want it to happen, so I just stay in the back.
A really silly fear, but because of it, I make some crazy limits, for example, I can't wear what I want to wear, because I don't want people to say "she tries to much, look at her" and stuff like that.
Also, a huge arachnophobia.
And, thanks to some horror movies, mirrors and bathrooms.
Especially when I'm alone... brrr....​

Spiders

My biggest fear of all time.
I know, I probably sound the biggest dumbass ever, but these things genuinely terrify me. I've been scared to spiders ever since the day I was born. I'm scared of not only the big hairy ones (shivers…), but also the teeny weeny little things as well (shivers more). I don't just go 'ugh' when I see one, I literally go into a full on panic attack, and I'm not afraid to admit that. Turantulas and huntsmans terrify me the most, especially huntsmans. They just sit there in a corner looking at you, ready to pounce…. Eekkk……. Even worse, at the moment there is a whole infestation of huntsmans in my school and guess where all the big hairy ones happen to be……. Near my locker area……..
……...
Damn spiders……..

Needles

Another really stupid sounding fear, but yes, I am absolutely petrified of needles. Its just the whole idea of the needle being jabbed into your flesh and all the liquid crap going into your blood and…. Ugh……. I've missed out on my last two school vaccinations because of this fear and I recently got a letter asking me to go and get them done now before it's two late, or some shit like that.
………...Not getting them done though……………….

Some of my other fears include Dying, dying at a young age, clown dolls, and really huge bugs (that is only a really minor fear though)

Jhan Garc

Formerly AkenabeShiro
"Does people with arachnophobia fear Spiderman?"-Anonymous.

"Technically,people aren't afraid of the dark. They're afraid of what's IN the dark"-Someone who's name I forgot.

That being said,my biggest fear would be that my innards would suddenly explode.

My main one seems to be the ocean. It was a lot worse when I was younger, as whenever I used to go anywhere near it I'd get very uneasy at the least to outright hyperventilating at the worst. I thought I'd gotten over it until recently when I decided to swim out to a shark net at a beach and well started panicking when the water got too deep. I think the main reason it scares me is because I can't see what's beneath me.

I also know that there's something else that really bothers me, as people don't have panic attacks for no reason, but I'm not entirely sure what causes them. But given the circumstances, its probably either related to alcohol or certain social situations. So yeah, I'm really that weird - I can freak out and have no idea why its happening.

Actually I Found Something Out.

If you have a horrifying fear that youhave had your entire life there is a high chance that You experienced Something very traumatic involving the thing you fear.

On. That note I However Do not fear anything as of now but I still have my moments when I. Do feel paniced and uneasy.

I fear any bug in general, but spiders above all. I also fear the dark, being chased, heights, death, and my newest fear is being jumped by animatronics (thanks FNAF!)

voidaquariums

Formerly Luxray901
With all the spiders roaming around here, I've grown used to them, but whenever I see one bigger than a quarter, I will pick up one of the assorted baseball bats under my bed and go crazy.
Other than that... nothing, really.

Dying alone.

And crabs. Thankfully around here they stay in the ocean where they belong. I refuse to wade into the sea due to this.

The ability to show fear is a sign of courage not weakness. You will never the strongest or the best at anything, so fear is that intellectual response to that awareness which encourages you to either avoid the situation (embarrassment) or try harder.