• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

CoroCoro Drops Final Sun/Moon Info Bits Before Release

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
A week before Sun/Moon officially drop, We got another information drop about the games - and perhaps because it is so close to release, an annoyingly vague one.

CoroCoro_December_2016_Ultra_Beasts.jpg
First off, two new Ultra-Beasts were revealed. We weren't even treated to their UB numbers or designations (both are referred to as "UB?? - ?????") - but one of them is basically an origami sword fiend, the other is something between an ancient monument, a circus tent, and a lady with giant rockets growing out of her hair - and both look like they wouldn't be out of place in some kind of a Shin Megami Tensei game. Huh. So that's where the Ultra Beast Portals lead off to. Who knew?

CoroCoro_December_2016_black.jpg
This thing was also introduced. It is, apparently, not an Ultra Beast (in spite of really looking like it could be one). All Corocoro had to say about that one - in a lovely example of stating the obvious - is that it's "mysterious and black". It is also very shiny - looks like the thing might have some kind of a prismatic theme going on. Corocoro also asks what does it have to do with Solgaleo/Lunala - Though I think the answer to that is obvious. Solgaleo embodies the sun. Lunala embodies the moon. This thing embodies Dark Side of the Moon.

Dark_Side_of_the_Moon.png

In all seriousness, this hulking prismatic monolith here (oh my god, it's full of stars) might be our third Major Legendary for this gen. That said, considering how Zygarde was treated, I doubt we'll get any more information about its importance this generation. We shall see, I guess.

CoroCoro_December_2016_starter_Z-Moves.jpg
Lastly, this page confirms what many of us already suspected - Decidueye, Incineroar and Primarina have their own unique Z-Moves (which, in all likelihood, can only be launched off their regular signature moves). The Japanese names we have are Shadow Arrows Strike (Decidueye) and Hyperdark Crasher (Incineroar) - Primarina's signature Z-move is included in Corocoro, but the scans we currently have do not reveal its name or its appearance.

Why does the starter's Z-Moves have to involve with Dark-Type and Ghost-type? Weird.

Because those are their secondary types. Bit more interesting than just the standard types if you ask me.

Anyway this certainly is a mysterious info dump. I really like the (I think) Moon exclusive rocket circus lady, although overall I think Stel's right in they certainly don't follow normal Pokemon design conventions. They just feel kinda seperate, but I guess that's the whole point. It certainly makes me curious about them anyway.

I very much like this new geometry shaped black Pokemon with claws, but really unhappy that Satoshi Tajiri is really running out of ideas. Come on they are only 66 Pokemon in the Sun and Moon pokedex list counting these that's less than xy and z which is 71 Pokemon.
Note: Not those alolan forms like vulpix, meowth and grimer.

I'm loving the weirdness of these Ultra Beasts, they're our existing inanimate object pokemon taken to a new and bizarre level.

I think the new legendary has something to do with an eclipse. Not the dark side of the moon.

That was a Pink Floyd reference; I've seen it suggested that it's a pokemon representing other astronomical bodies like black holes and the like, but the triangular prism stuff is pretty convincing ;).

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
In retrospect I suppose I should have expected the reference to go over the children's heads. XP

Satoshi Tajiri has eff all to do with the creature designs (or much else about Pokemon these days to be fair), though, so saying he is "running out of ideas" is quite definitely wrong. They have plenty of ideas, and they have plenty of things to make into Pokemon - but they have made an active decision to release less new 'mons per generation, but attempt to make the ones they release memorable. Whether or not this actually works is a good question, but there you have it.

Last edited:
I love everything about this game...the ultra beasts are great the starters are great...primarina and tapu bulu are my all time favorite pokemon...wow...pokemon has come so far...i was 4 years old playing pokemon red with my brother...now im 22 and sun/moon are coming out next week...im so hyped that i made it this far in the series...i even finally found a pokemon that speaks out to me...one to call my favorite...i could never hate pokemon for any direction they decide to go...it will always be a part of me...and the story just got a lot more intresting with new monsters called ultra beasts

I read the name Gluttony and first thought of Full Metal Alchemist. I thought Gluttony in FMA was scary, but that thing looks horrifying. If there's any one Pokemon that I'd be genuinely scared of in real life, it'd be that one.
Thats funny i thought the same thing when i saw him lol...he looks like gluttony in brotherhood when he goes into his true form lol