• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Breloom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I buggered up with Breloom.

On my Emerald team I've got a Blaziken and a Breloom and having two fighting types on my team irked me so I tried to make Blaziken my fighter and Breloom rely solely on its Grass Type - which was pretty stupid considering Brelooms attack is great but its Sp Attack sucks but really, Blaziken won over in coolness.

But it's b0rken. Only physical attack I have is Counter, which of course is lame on its own and the extreme suckiness of Giga Drain cannot be compared.

Basically, if I want to keep Breloom it needs fixed, so help would be appreciated:

Calm Nature

Counter
Giga Drain
Toxic
Leech Seed

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Picked up Sky Uppercut last night making it not quite as useless. It's still pretty needless though - all it's attacks and types are covered by others in the team. So reccomendations for replacements, also appreciated.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
It's a shame you've already evolved it to Breloom :-\. I left my Breloom unevolved until level 54, so he could learn Spore. This is a totally fantastic Sleep attack with 100% accuracy, and works on just about everyone for at least one turn. (The exception are pkmn with Insomnia ability, like Vigoroth - but never mind them. I'd use a different strategy or attacker for them).

Anyway: my Breloom has the following moveset:
Spore - puts opponent to sleep with 100% accuracy
Focus Punch - Fighting attack, power 150 - goes up to 225 with STAB
Leech Seed
Giga Drain

The people who like to give silly names to movesets would, of course, call this a "Spore-Puncher". Strategy should be blinding obvious to a pro like you - use Spore to put opponent to sleep so that Focus Punch can go through unhindered. My level 54 Breloom did one hit KOs on various Elite Four & Champion's pkmn in Ruby this way ;).

OK, so Spore's not available to you - but you could use Substitute, assuming you have an unused Move Tutor somewhere. This would allow for the following moveset:
Substitute
Focus Punch
Giga Dream
One other Physical attack of your choice

iirc, this is the "Sub-Puncher" moveset. The lovely thing about putting it on Breloom is that after you've expended 1/4 HP to make the Substitute, you can then use a Giga Drain or two to make back the HP.

Hope this helps, anyway.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I've seen "Sub-Punchers", or at least Pokemon who rely on Substitue, use Leech Seed and Giga drain together and the effect was pretty good. With Leech Seed in effect they were basically gaining back all their lost HP before the substitute broke, and if need be Giga Drain helped the matter. The only types of Pokemon Breloom would have to watch out for would be certain Flying types (ones without a Normal-type half) and Ghost types, but Breloom is pretty useless against Ghosts anyways (especially if they're in Gengar's line).

If you already have a strong Fighter and don't want/need a second you might as well just replace Breloom with something else. Aside from being an annoyer, a Special-based Breloom is too weak to be of any use when compared to other Grass types like Sceptile. Breloom in general doesn't really have the defences or HP to last either - that's where moves like Spore and Sub come in.

Quote by Baraton:
It's a shame you've already evolved it to Breloom . I left my Breloom unevolved until level 54, so he could learn Spore. This is a totally fantastic Sleep attack with 100% accuracy, and works on just about everyone for at least one turn. (The exception are pkmn with Insomnia ability, like Vigoroth

But... if you use the tiny mushrooms it can learn that move...What I do is put the pokemon to sleep and leech seed it then use sky uppercut...and the pokemon is dead evetually or you can just posion it and leech seed it and it will loose Hp every turn weaking it...Anyway a breeloom is better in a double battle than a single battle considering what types of moves it learns....

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Quote by Baraton:
It's a shame you've already evolved it to Breloom . I left my Breloom unevolved until level 54, so he could learn Spore. T

But... if you use the tiny mushrooms it can learn that move...

Can it? That's news to me. Spore only appears on Shroomish's moveset, it's not a move that Breloom can learn by level-up. So I didn't think the Move Tutor/Relearner could teach it? Have you definitely tried this?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Can it? That's news to me. Spore only appears on Shroomish's moveset, it's not a move that Breloom can learn by level-up. So I didn't think the Move Tutor/Relearner could teach it? Have you definitely tried this?

No, you're right baratron. Breloom can't learn Spore via the Move Tutor because it's not one of its level-up moves. That would make things too easy :p

You could go with:

Leechseed
Toxic
Return/Sky Uppercut
Swords Dance/Substitute

It's a pretty stable moveset, easily good enough to handle in game trainers and decent in linked battles.

The moves I recommend are

-Mach Punch

-Giga Drain

-Mega Punch

-Sky Uppercut

I also say if you don't like this moveset, you can totally skip it! Good luck! :D

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Yay for grave-digging! Warned. Check the date on a topic before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.