• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Your Starter - Take 3

Which starter did you choose?

• Turtwig

Votes: 67 29.8%
  • Chimchar

Votes: 64 28.4%
  • Piplup

Votes: 94 41.8%

• Total voters
I always, always take the fire starter. Just because there aren't any good fire pokemon in the games. So I took Chimchar. Second choice would be Piplup though.

i took chimchar mainly because its hard to find good fire pokemon. i also have always had good luck with the fire types. my friend took turtwig though and he is doing fine with it

turtwig has an advantage between piplup and chimchar. let me explain. when turtwig evolves into torterra, it gains ground type abilities which'll probably wipe out chimchar, and it has grass type abilities which takes down piplup.

i didn't learn that until i got my tutwig to a torterra, but what you say is true just have torterra know earthquake and razor leaf, then he's/she's set

On all my other pokemon games I usally choose the water type. But all my friends were choose piplup so I wanted something different. So I chose Chimchar. But now I have all three from the pokemon GTS.

I picked Piplup.

I usually like to pick a different type of starter with every new game I play, and water was next on my list.
That, and Piplup just rocks. (Dude, he's a penguin! How cooler can you get than a penguin?)

i chose piplup because i played with my friend and each of us took a different starter so we could
exchange stuffs.. piplup may not seem to be very useful in the beginning, but empoleon rocks!!yeah.
anyway empoleon is really useful in enduring dialga's roar of time..

I picked Piplup because I like water types, which are very diverse (as in crabs, manta rays, penguins, etc.), and that Empoleon has a very unique type combo. It's stats are decent, and can take a few hits. Hey, I've defeated the Elite four with just an Empoleon. (it was lv 100, of course) I find that empoleon is a decent special sweeper.

I took Piplup...

Why the "..." you ask?
Well, I choose Piplup because I was stupidly expecting the Gym leaders to be simular to the old Blue version. (I found water to be most effective back then).
Though after researching some FAQ's, I found out that Piplup was not a very wise choice.
But hey.. Me and Pippy have been through alot, and thanks to a friend of mine, I raised a Chimchar too.
So I shouldn't complain.
Plus.. She was Cute :)

I would say I prefer Turtwig, because he and Piplup eminate a small amount of sensitivity and cuteness, but Chimchar is not as strong as the 2 as well, because his last stage is fighting. That type is EXTREMELY vulnerable to other moves. I would have to say...

PIPLUP!!! ;D

I restarted my game like 4 times so I have all 3 starters, and gave other starters to my friend who helped hold my others while i restarted. lol

(yes i know i'm a bad boy. but i dont Hax. i just think outside the box. =D)

It was soo hard...but I decided to look at their final evolutions and decided on Chimchar. I hate Chimchar but I'd kick myself if I let my rival get chimchar and evolve it into Infernape. I hate Piplup...for me there's a guy at my church who chose Piplup who I hate (really really) he evolved it into an Empoleon and from then Empoleon has looked exactly like the guy...arrogant, not too intelligent and pathetic. I love turtwig...Tuurtwiig. What is Not to love about this cute lil guy? I like Turtwig...despise Torrtera...It's a giant turtle with trees growing outta it's back...:p Now I am happy with my Infernape named Xanu...I like mudkip...it's a...i dunno but it is sooo cuute. Muudkiiip. I love Charmander...Char-Charmander! Charizard...love at first sight for me! Chic-Chickorita! Loove it!

I chose Chimchar. Unfortunetly, I don't remember why... perhaps it was simply BECAUSE it was a fire-type?

that seems to be a tradition in my games- starting first with the fire type!

Yeah I know.. me too, right? Fire always just seems more appealing. Then again in Pokemon Blue I did choose Squirtle...but I ended up getting Charmander later somehow. lol

Cyndaquil was always my favorite starter though. =D
My Typhlosion was always my best friend, so glad I just got a Cyndaquil in Diamond so I can remake him. =D

I love the Fire Starters in general (GO CHARIZARD!), mainy becasue there are so few decent fire Pokemon in the game (the best i know of are the fire starters and Ninetails), so I chose Chimchar, (after choosing both Piplup and Turtwig and transferring them from my Diamond over to my Pearl and breeding them), so i technically have all the starters, as female (you do not know how long I had to reset in order for THAT to happen) as well as a backup in case my training goes horribly wrong.

(after choosing both Piplup and Turtwig and transferring them from my Diamond over to my Pearl and breeding them), so i technically have all the starters, as female (you do not know how long I had to reset in order for THAT to happen) as well as a backup in case my training goes horribly wrong.

Oh, i do (guilty of almost always getting a female starter) It's painstakingly long in D/P...especially when trying for a good nature.

Anyways, I chose Turtwig, now my loveable Torterra 'cause I didn't want a Roserade again, and I didn't like any other grounds in the Sinnoh dex.

I started with a chimchar, because I just really really love fire and fighting types, and them mixed together is a dream come true for me. Whoot!

Eh, Im not a HUGE fan of turtwig, and I honestly dont see whats so cute about it. ( oh crap, I juts know Im about to get attacked by saying that. O_o)

Plus it evolutions... disterb me.

the offspring of a turtle and a Bonzai tree is where I draw the line. ._.

and yet I can handle kung-fu flaming chickens and monkeys. Go figure. :p

Sorry, guys: Chimchar for the win. I mean... its a monkey. Monkeys make everything better. A monkey with a fame out it's a$$. Think about it; someone makes fun of it and... Splat!*screamsofagony*... ... Flaming poo... *nodsjustly* :)

I chose Piplup because Empoleon looked cool, Chimchar, Monferno, Infernape both have really lame names and I believe they're a cheap ripoff of Torchic Combusken and Blaziken.
And Turtwig, despite how cute he is, I have never found grass types to be overly useful

In 4th gen I chose Chimichar, and compared to the other starters Chimichar is the best, because when it evolves into Infernape, it's base 104 speed, attack, and special attack can really devostate people. Empoleon gets shattered by Close Combat, and Torterra gets burned by Flare Blitz or Flamethrower, and those moves also get the STAB modifier (x1.5 Power to a pokemon who uses the same move as its type) so it can wreak havoc if you set it up right. Even in 3rd gen, Infernape is usually faster than Blaziken, so if you give it Choice Band and use Earthquake, Blaziken is a goner. Grass knot is a viable option against Swamepert, so what's to lose? Besides, who doesn't love a monkey who throws fire and poop!!!!

In 4th gen I chose Chimichar, and compared to the other starters Chimichar is the best, because when it evolves into Infernape, it's base 104 speed, attack, and special attack can really devostate people. Empoleon gets shattered by Close Combat, and Torterra gets burned by Flare Blitz or Flamethrower, and those moves also get the STAB modifier (x1.5 Power to a pokemon who uses the same move as its type) so it can wreak havoc if you set it up right. Even in 3rd gen, Infernape is usually faster than Blaziken, so if you give it Choice Band and use Earthquake, Blaziken is a goner. Grass knot is a viable option against Swamepert, so what's to lose? Besides, who doesn't love a monkey who throws fire and poop!!!!

The problem with your theory is that Empoleon can kill Infernape with just SURF (and that gets a STAB modifier too genius) let alone Hydro Pump.

Also Torterra can easilly Kill Infernape with Earthquake even if Infernape is higher leveled.

The point of these starters are that each one has the ability to kill each one if it wants.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I chose Turtwig, after a long, long time. Thing is I really didn't like any of the starters this time round. I used to always go for the fire type starter, Torchic was great but I don't like Blaziken, so the fire line ended there and I had Mudkip instead (I love him!). I have a Sceptile on Diamond now though :p

Back to the P/D starters I pretty much hated all three. I can't stand monkeys *gets bricked* and Chimchar just needs kicking in my opinion. It's animation, face and type (fire/fighting) all bug me. Thus Chimchar was not chosen. Piplup was the one I thought looked ok, but Empoleon looks terrible. What's with the claw things sticking out of his wing/arms? Thus I chose Turtwig. To be fair he wasn't a bad pokemon, he served me well in the game. But I never really liked him, so as soon as Pal Park opened he was dumped for Sceptile. I know it sounds silly, but I disliked the noise Torterra made when he's sent out. It sounds like a motorbike revving or something :/

I hope in Gen V that they make a better fire type starter, that ISN'T half fighting

The problem with your theory is that Empoleon can kill Infernape with just SURF (and that gets a STAB modifier too genius) let alone Hydro Pump.

Also Torterra can easilly Kill Infernape with Earthquake even if Infernape is higher leveled.

The point of these starters are that each one has the ability to kill each one if it wants.
Ya but Infernape is faster than Torterra and Empoleon, so they go bye-bye.

piplup for the pure reason that i usually go with water types, plus water/steel just sounded cooler, but then again, I just got all 3 starters eventually ;D

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I chose Piplup for my starter because I've always picked the water starter in all of them except G/S, where I picked Cyndaquil. Empoleon, however, ended being relegated to HM Slave since my other Pokemon were much stronger than he was. My favourite of the three starters is Chimchar, since Infernape is freaking awesome in battle, although if Torterra wasn't 4x weak to Ice I reckon he'd be just as dangerous. Empoleon can just...sit in the corner and look cool...or something....