• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Your Starter :P - First Draft

Which will you choose?

• Naetle (Grass)

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Hikozaru (Fire)

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Pochama (Water)

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Other (ie. All three via trading)

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
C'mon! I know we've all been waiting for this topic - or at least I have >.>; - and now we can finally make it! Sorta :p

I'm sure opinions will change once the evolutions are revealed but going by their basic stage forms, which starter do you think you'll choose first for D/P?

The starters are, again, these three:
startersmall.jpg

I'm kind of torn between Naetle and Pochama. I like Pochama's looks best but it's still a Water-type... Naetle's face looks a bit odd, but I can still see myself going with it due to the Grass-type element (I like it over Water for who knows what reason) and tradition (I always go for the Grass starter first =p).

In the end, for now, I guess I'll vote Naetle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Naetle, for sure. I've never not chosen the Grass-type starter. Like you, Katie, it's a sort of tradition. Plus...they just always end up looking THE COOLEST.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Eh, cept for Sceptile... he irked me... >.> Grovyle is much better lookin'. I'll probably get the penguin, maybe the turtle. Depends on how their evolutions look. I'll maybe just stick it in my PC anyway, and train up a team without one of the starters....

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Hikozaru for sure. Like Linky and QQ, it's sort of tradition for me to start with the fire type. Mainly because I think they're cutest, usually, but this time because I wanna see a gorrilla evo. :p

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Naetle probably, it's dead cute. Though if the game gives me reason to (such as a desirable evolution) I'll easily swing to one of the other two. Probably Pochama before Hikozaru.

Like katie I am torn between the grass and water types.. I'm going to wait for the evolution chains to be revealed before making any judgements though... I wonder if we'll see a split evolution tree for any of the new starters.... Also remember the whole dark/fighting/psychic rumour there was before, what if they turned into dual types incorporating those elements, that would be really cool... ^_^

Sorry but I got to go with Pochama. I usually pick the one that looks ultra cute! I would rank Naetle second because it's pretty darn cute too and Hikozaru.............well maybe it's evos will look better.

I'mreally torn. I like them all and I'm sorta leaning towards the monkey due to it being least popular...but lets see what the evos look like...then I, personally, can properly ddecide

Pochama! PENGIN! YAAAAY!

Plus, the penguin-ness has added coolness, cuz when we were in teams in Japanese class, my friend and I were on Penjin Chiimu (Team Penguin), and we were all, "pengin!" all the time. So yeah...that had a definite plus in my mind.

...PENGIN! x3

But, anyways, I even like the look the best, and, in my pattern, I need to start with the water starter. So two more pluses in the direction of t3h P0ch4m4.

Naetle is okay, and the evolutions will probably be cool (I generally like the grass starters), but maybe I won't start with it on the first game I play.

I don't like Hikazaru. A gorilla fire starter...>_

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
If we're talking first impressions of the Hoenn starters in comparison to these, I thought Mudkip looked absolutely fugly and that Torchic looked like a freak.

The only one I liked was Treecko.

Of course, as Mime Jr will prove, the anime can do wonders in changing your opinions on Pokemon.

Erm.... This is a nice topic n such

But with the WiFi connection, it'll be like all of us are right next to each other n whatnot.. N I'm sure all of us will have all three starters each.

It could take a bit of time, of course, so I think someone should start a buddy-system. Ya know, like the moving buddy on Toy Story. You help your buddy to get three starters, s/he'll help you.

=o

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
You still have to pick one to start with. Also, I'd imagine WFC has limits on it for when you can use it.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
I'll probably just do something with my sister. That's how we got all the starters in Fr/Lg.

For intra-DP trading, I doubt there will be any requirements beyond having more than one Pokémon and having received your Pokédex. If my sister gets her game on release day, then we'll just take some time and get a few starters wrangled up before either of us seriously starts playing.

But, yeah, buddy system's not a bad idea. Or...maybe I can just resart with my sister oodles of times and get enough starters for everybody! We all know I'll be the first to get the English release, anyways. (No, Oak, I don't want your Japanese starters when you import. :p)

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
:p

I guess those of us who get the games first could farm up some starters etc for everyone else.

I'd happily stick a whole bunch on my Japanese Pearl when I get my English Diamond and leave Pearl online for people to snatch some starters from the Global Trading Station (Assuming it'll work that way).

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I just wouldn't want that. Boosted Pokemon get annoying when you have to stop training them until getting a certain badge. It'd be different if you could trade them as eggs, but after FR/LG putting restrictions on that we'll just have to wait and see how D/P handle it =/

I'd rather just go through the game once with each starter, or at least once with one and the second time with the other two. I'll be getting both D/P anyways, so trading won't be an issue. Besides, having only one starter Poke leaves more room open to use random Shino Pokemon in my first team :)

And I agree with Oak. For Hoenn, the ONLY starter I really liked off the bat was Treecko. Torchic was too cutesy, and Mudkip just looked strange. First gen is still the only gen where I REALLY loved all three starters much lots, but that's kinda biased since it was the first :p

I'm starting to warm up to the fire-starter now. What's with all the monkey-hating? Monkeys rock! Nothing wrong with a gorilla final-stage IMO ^^ An anime-styled pic of Hikozaru with the other two starters in the latest CoroCoro scans is pretty damn cute.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Meh.

Personally I'm hoping that the penguin's going to pull a Blaziken on us and evolve into something less bloody overcutesified. x_x

The turtle farking disturbs me. I mean... Dude, it's a snapping turtle with a tree growing out of its head. If that evolves into a venusaur tortoise with an oak tree growing out of its head, I'm killing somebody.

As for the monkey, no comment. A monkey with a flaming backside. I don't even WANT to think of the attacks it may use. o_o Also, I don't think it's getting a gorilla final stage. >_> I think that the final form would be some kind of ape based sleek streamlined Efretti-type thing. But maybe I've got the shamanized form of Sten from Breath of Fire on the brain. xD

I have a strong feeling the penguin is going to end up with humungo eyebrows like those weird penguins. Thats just a hunch I have along with RLRL's suggestive theory of something about japenese legend of a turtle thing with two heads? I dont know... I guess we'll see how it all crops up in a couple of weeks. BTW, Im still undecided. :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I think that the final form would be some kind of ape based sleek streamlined Efretti-type thing.

That... would be so freakin' awesome :X

Anyways, Naetle's final evo could easily do away with the head-plant. They did away with Chikorita's head-leaf for Meganium, and Grovyle's for Sceptile. As for being a Venusaur-ish tortoise... that's actually what I see happening, similar to those giant tortoises in mythology that carry islands on their backs ^^

I see it as being like the Black Wu of japanese mythology, this would pan in with the rumours about them being dark/fighting/psychic, as it could easily become like the black wu which was normally portrayed as having a tree on its back.
The only problem I can see coming from that idea would be that digimon already spoofed the 4 guardians of Kyoto which included Ebonwumon a 2 headed turtle with tree on its back... Many people would accuse them (yet again) for copying designs...

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I'd still want to see evolutions before passing final judgement, but right now, I think I'll go by my affinity for the grass type and just go with Naetle. ^^

Of course that hardly matters as I'll never get to play the game.

Yeah, same here.

However, Hikozaru's been growing on me...that new picture, where Hikozaru's smiling and you see its little fangs...is kinda cute. ^_^

I'm just worried I won't really like the end result...-_-

But still...POCHAMA-CHAN WAS CUTER! >_<

Plus, as my first starter for each generation (not counting FrLg), I went: water, fire, grass. I should go back to water. Even counting FrLg I should, since I went: water, fire, grass, fire. So yeah. Mizumizumizu.

Naetoru, however, is not growing on me. The lower jaw just disturbs me a bit...it's so...big...@_@ But I've always liked the grass starters' final evolutions (even Venusaur)...so maybe I'll like Naetoru's also.

I just hope it isn't a grass-type Blastoise rip-off. -_-

Plus, I don't want Pochama turning into a water/fighting Pokemon. It has a chance of becoming a water-type Blaziken rip-off. >_< NO! NOT POCHAMA-CHAN! *huggles*

I don't want Hikozaru becoming fire/fighting, either. Two fire/fighting starters in a row is just...boring...-_-;; I don't really want it to become part psychic either...just...cuz...

I really hope they don't have a dual-type trio of dark/fighting/psychic...I don't like any of the outcomes (unless maybe they make it where none of them has an advantage, which I can't see them doing).

I think mixing the types could be fun. Grass/Fighting (that snapping turtle would evolve into some kinda mutant fighting turtle =o ), Fire/Psychic (Picture a Vigoroth... on fire..... fused with a medicham!) and Water/Dark (The cutesy wore off on this critter. His final evo is one bad mother shut-yo-mouwf!)

Personally, Grass/Dark Fire/Fighting and Water/Psychic would make sense, based on possible evolution.. but like you said, another fire/fighting would be boring, and imo as would another grass/dark.

But I don't see it happening. Penguin is going to be water/ice, the ape is going fire/flying (Thats right. A flaming flying monkey), and the grass... will prolley stay just that.

I just want a ninja turtle. I'll name him Leonardo and luff him forever and ever and ever.

STILL POCHAMA-CHAAAAAN! ^_^

It just looks so cute...with its round little blue head and little blue penguin tail...^_^

If I decide not to name my Pochama set of Pokemon by place names (then I'd nickname my Pochama-chan Hokkaido), then I'd try to get a female one so I could name her Ringo. ^_^ Only this Ringo-chan would have a blue theme...not a red theme...@_@

So yeah...stiiiiil Pochama!

But I think Naetoru's overly-large lower jaw looks a bit better in sprite version. So when I'm beating the s...tuffing out of it, I won't be annoyed by its colossal lower jaw. -_-;;

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Darn it all. I guess I'm getting behind on the D/P vids again. I haven't watched any of the new ones in ages, and I want to hear what's so love/hate about Hikozaru cry >.>;;

Can someone help point me towards the most notable videos? Plzkthx.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Wish things were that easy with dial-up. It takes me forever to navigate that site ^^;

This page should do for now, tho.

Anyyyyways... If they did keep the Fighting/Dark/Psychic tri-angle for the final evos, I'd want to see Fire/Dark, Water/Fighting, and Grass/Psychic.... although, no complaints on a Grass/Fighting turtle :p

I'm just with everyone else on the "not another fire/fighting final starter form". While Fire/Dark has been done, I imagine it looking pretty neat. Ifrit-like indeed :)

EDIT x2: Alright... I

Grass/Bug. Naetle sounds like Beatle (yes i know its japanese.). Water/ice or Psychic or Dark. The Ginormous eyebrows I predict could make it Psychic or Dark. Hate to say it but I see Fire/Fighting or Ground. C'mon its a monkey. What do monkeys do? Use there arms and pound on the ground.

'Naetle' to me always sounded more like 'nettle,' but since the name in Japanese has nothing to do with nettles, I don't expect it'll stick.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The Japanese name, since we're on the subject, comes from the words Sapling and Turtle.

Hikozaru's comes from the word for Juvenile Delinquint and Ape, while Pocchama's comes from PochaPocha - to splash about or "plump" and Shamo, which all R/S cryptimon hunters should know - means fowl.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Gen4RLYColor.jpg

Uh, Actually, Hikozaru's name derives from Hi (fire) and Kozaru (small monkey/monkey child - Sru/Zaru means monkey/ape, and 'ko' means small - attached before an animal name would make the cub form of it, like Koneko = Kitten, Koinu = Puppy, et cetera.). I suppose its english name would be something to the line of 'Chimpyre' or something to that effect.

But yes, you got the Sapling Turtle part right. I'd assume Sproutle, but that is just a lame attempt at a name. :p

Also, I don't see where teh frell is there a 'Syamo' in the 'Ama' part. It possibly derives from ama, meaning 'fisherman'. And Even my warped brain cannot come up with a name for that... thing.

If they keep the Dark/Fighting/Psychic thing... Well, I hate to say this, but I'm seeing the Monkey taking the psychic route. It just seems to be fitting. Dark would be awesome on Naetle - that thing is just SCREAMING out 'Snapping Turtle', and Crunch would be rather nice STAB'd. Leaving fighting to water.

I'm hoping Naetle pulls a Meganium and evolves into something that won't be a mutant giant flat alligator snapper with a tree growing out of its head. I don't care much about Pochama (I'm weary of retarded-overcutesy-chibi-birdies-designed-to-sell-more-toys, if you don't mind me saying so.) But I'm hoping it evolves into something useful and awesome looking. As for the monkey - well, who gives a monkey.

(Is attacked by the Librarian of Discworld fame)

Status
Not open for further replies.