• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Your Potential X&Y Teams

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
The X&Y Pokemon reveals have been rather evil thus far. Between the brand new Gen VI Pokemon and previous Gen Pokemon who've either gained new evolutions or Mega forms, I already have over half of my first in-game team planned and the games aren't even out yet! XD

If you're also someone who's itching to train certain Pokemon on your first Kalos journey, which Pokemon are they? Furthermore, since we already know that the Kalos 'Dex is meant to include many Pokemon from previous generations, are there any specific Pokemon that you're hoping to encounter earlier on to include on your team? :)

For my first playthrough, and for the simple fact that I'm already spoiled for choice, I've decided to avoid training anything that isn't brand new or hasn't received a new evolution, pre-evolution, or mega form (the only exception possibly being Pikachu/Raichu, because Raichu). Assuming its final evolution isn't utterly terrible I'm very likely to choose Chespin as my starter. From there I'm interested in using both Squirtle and the event Torchic on my team, neither of which that I've raised since Gen 3. As for our Gen VI critters, I'm heavily leaning towards training an Eevee for Sylveon, Pancham/Pangoro, Tyrunt/Tyrantrum, and Skiddo/Gogoat. If Noivern ends up having at least one pre-evolution I'll likely grab it up as well (I adore its battle model) but otherwise I'd rather not train any unevolving Pokemon this time 'round. It's always much more fun for me when I have something to work towards evolution-wise.

For once I don't care about the typing overlap because I doubt that I'd be able to avoid it anyways. Too many great Pokemon of the same types to choose from. That being said, I would like to have a decent type spread in the end so I'll likely try to cap my team at 10 Pokemon, give or take. That's what I tend to do on my first adventure through a new region anyways. ^^

Last edited:

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Currently thinking of:

Chespin
Charmander
Fletchling
Helioptile
Spritzee
Noivern

Tyrunt is also one of my favourites but it might not appear until later on. I'm really stuck when it comes to the Starters... I want Fennekin quite badly but the fact that Charmander will be there too, not to mention Fletching really leans me towards Chespin. Otherwise I'm looking at three Fire-Types as my first three Pokemon! (Yes Fletching starts as just being Normal, but when it and Charmander evolve fully they'll both be Fire/Flying) :VI'm hoping Helioptile evolves into something really nifty and the same goes for Spritzee.

I adore Noivern so assuming it has a pre-evo I'll train one. That said though, if all Pokemon are available and I encounter an Electrike or Murkrow early one I'm not sure I'll be able to resist :/

Too many awesome Pokemon so far in this Gen. A team choice hasn't been this difficult for me due to choice for a long time!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Currently thinking of:
I'm hoping Helioptile evolves into something really nifty...

That's what I'm waiting on to find out too, aye. I quite like the little critter but if it doesn't evolve whatsoever it's an automatic no-go for me and/or if its evolution doesn't grab my attention I'll likely side with Raichu instead for Pokemon-Amie purposes. ♥

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
This is seriously the hardest generation for me to pick a team ever. I've already grown really fond of a lot of the Kalos Pokémon, but I also know that a number of old Kanto/Johto Pokémon are seemingly found early on, which is going to destroy any and all resolve I had just to train new Pokémon.

Currently my team looks a bit like this:

Chespin/Fennekin - Depends what Chespin evolves into.
Charmander
Skiddo
Heloptile - Even if it doesn't evolve I utterly adore the thing ♥
Bunnelby / Dedenne - If neither evolves then it depends what I see first, if Bunnelby does then I may have both~
Pancham
Swirlix
Eevee ♥
Pidgy
Butterfree - Apparently Caterpie is found in the forest directly after we leave our hometown, and I don't like this generations bug line, so yeah.

I'm not sure where I'm going to cap my team at, a lot of Pokémon might be picked up and then dropped later on purely depending on what they're like. I'd also like to train Honedge, Noivern, Litleo, Meowstic and Furfrou, but I either won't touch them until my second game or it's going to depend when and where I find them.

For X:
Pyroar
Meowstic
Clauncher
Swirlix
Vivillion
and Orotto or Noivern

For Y:
Froakie
Pangoro
Talonflame
Flabebe or Malamar
Gogoat
and Aurorus

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Based solely off of what has been revealed thus far:

- Froakie
- Fletchling
- Skiddo
- Pancham
- Meowstic
- Tyrunt

Covers all of the bases I will most likely need, and I love all of these Pokemon. Though, knowing how I always play Pokemon, this will not be my final team. I will most likely run into something amazing in the wild that will steal a spot on my team (and in my heart). Or something will turn out to not be very useful at all and thus be forever shunned.

Also, if we do get to choose a Gen I starter at the beginning I will be in a hard place. Froakie AND Squirtle?! D: That's some Sophie's Choice level stuff. I am not strong enough to choose!

Definitely the hardest choice this time around, even just going off the small(I certainly hope anyway) selection of new pokemon, evolutions and mega evolutions. Even though its one of the aspects I'm most excited for with this release, it almost makes me miss having all that info early on from Japan always getting the games so long before the rest of us. But thus far I'm planning for..

Y Team:
Riolu - cause I've never actually raised one during a play through, and Mega Lucario just looks bad***
Noivern or Fletchling if Noivern isn't available til real late, I can almost see that being the case
Skrelp
Tyrunt
Spritzee or Sylveon - to check out the Fairy type
Litleo

For my X run through I intend to give myself some challenges the first being playing it in Japanese (trying to learn the language) and the second will be with my team either being a full Fossil Team, a full Starter Team, or it'll be the first 6 pokemon I come across, haven't totally decided yet which I think will be the greater challenge overall.

Hmm...there's several I hope to train, I'm still putting some thought into this one. I know I'm getting Y version first, then X, which helps slightly. Here's some Pokemon I hope to use, based on the Pokemon we know are going to appear in the main game, plus a few more Gens I-V Pokemon that may or may not appear in the main game.

Chespin/Quilladin (Like I said, sticking with this one.)
Froakie/Frogadier
Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise/(Mega Blastoise)
Torchic/Combusken/Blaziken/(Mega Blaziken)
Fletchling/Talonflame
Skiddo/Gogoat
Clauncher
Honedge/Doublade
Noivern
Pancham/Pangoro
Scatterbug/Spewpa/Vivillion
Eevee/(any Eeveelution, though I hope to use Sylveon at least once)
Tyrunt/Tyrantrum
Amaura/Aurorus
Yveltal
Xerneas
Ralts/Kirlia/(Gardevoir or Gallade)
Mareep/Flaaffy/Ampharos/(Mega Ampharos)

As you can see, quite a list, and these are only the ones I really hope to use right now. So, here's what I'm thinking of using right now:

Pokemon Y Version
Slot 1: Chespin/Quilladin
Slot 2: Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise/(Mega Blastoise)
Slot 3: Torchic/Combusken/Blaziken/(Mega Blaziken)
Slot 4: Mareep/Flaaffy/Ampharos/(Mega Ampharos) [If available in main game]
Slot 5: Honedge/Doublade
Slot 6: Other Flying Type, possibly Noivern)/Yveltal

Pokemon X Version
Slot 1: Froakie/Frogadier
Slot 2: Fletchling/Talonflame
Slot 3: Skiddo/Gogoat
Slot 4: (Maybe Pancham/Pangoro?)
Slot 5: (Tyrunt/Tyrantrum?)
Slot 6: (Other Fairy Type, possibly Gardevoir)/Xerneas

This is just what I have so far as a rough idea. I probably won't be raising the Kanto starter in my main team in X, due to the fact that I want to train Skiddo and Fletchling badly, and won't be able to train either in Y, for I am locked into using those 3 starters on my team. As you can see, I usually use a Pokemon of the same type as the Legendary, then swap them out later on. Sometimes, I'll switch out other Pokemon beforehand, although not often.

For Ralts/evos, I may or may not have room, depending on what Fairy Type I use in X. I may use one in Y, as well, although it's unlikely at this point.

Same with Eevee, I may or may not use Eevee in my main party in either of these games, although more likely in X then in Y.

Clauncher, unfortunately, I won't use in my first playthrough of both games, due to Water starters I wish to use in both games. Same goes with Amaura/Aurorus for room, although I'll use this Pokemon somehow, just not in my main party.

As for the Scatterbug line, maybe I'll use that early on, then swap it out with one of my desired team members later on.

The others that aren't confirmed have places where they'l likely be, but it isn't final yet. All Pokemon I did not name here, I have no immediate desire to use for my main team.

Whew, this is difficult. I'll be updating this as time passes, and I put more thought into this. Maybe once I see a full Pokedex, and know what previous Gen Pokemon are available in the main game...

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
So, based on the new information I have, namely the starter evolutions and some evolved images, my team is now looking like potentially being this:

- Fennekin
- Fletchling
- Helioptile
- Spritzee
- The leaked squishy creature (you'll know what I mean if you've seen it)

Those are my definite choices. Now, I was wanting to pick Charmander, but since Fennekin will now be my starter and because Fletchling is a must, I'm thinking of having a 'no previous Generation' rule and just leaving Charmander until I get round to playing X. There is a new leaked Pokemon that I adore and hope to goodness that it's real: if it is I'll be adding it to this list, but I won't now for obvious anti-spoiler reasons. The only thing that'll get one of these off my list is if it's not available early/mid-game.

Last edited:
Well, with the reveal of Mega Charizard X, my choice has become even more difficult. I will stick with Chespin all the way, however, as my belief in him becoming a total BA still stands firm.

Chespin line
Squirtle/Charmander line
Litleo/Clauncher line
Sylveon
Noivern/Tyrunt line
Heloptile/Dedenne/Doublade/Xerneas/Yveltal

I'm still trying to figure out what I really want, but based on certain information, I'd rather not have any more previous gen pokemon than I necessarily need, and I won't be using Torchic because, let's be honest, I use Blaziken WAY too much.

i cant decide!! please someone tell me which ones of these should i use in my team?

sylveon
froakie line
pangoro
talonflame
noivern
skrelp
pyroar
doublade
malamar (maybe not this might be the next tentacross)
TYRANTRUM
all of the megas :p

I plan on using only new Pokemon for my initial Y run. While not set in stone(mostly because we still don't know all of them) I will be using any of:
Froakie/Frogadier
Fletching/Talonflame
Skiddo/Gogoat
Pancham/Pangoro
Tyrunt/Tyrantrum
Honedge/Doublade
Noivern
And of course, Yveltal

The second purpose of a run like this is so I can learn the Kalos 'dex and properly plan a team for a more complete and proper run, if you will.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
I plan on using only new Pokemon for my initial Y run. While not set in stone(mostly because we still don't know all of them) I will be using any of:
Froakie/Frogadier
Fletching/Talonflame
Skiddo/Gogoat
Pancham/Pangoro
Tyrunt/Tyrantrum
Honedge/Doublade
Noivern
And of course, Yveltal

The second purpose of a run like this is so I can learn the Kalos 'dex and properly plan a team for a more complete and proper run, if you will.
We had nearly the same team. OTP ♥

I would like to redact Froakie from my list and place Squirtle in there. Everything else remains. I don't even know which one I'll grab, honestly. :\

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
At this point, very little is set in stone for me except two Pokémon that will most definitely make it onto my team: Noivern and Clauncher. Those two are definitely in, no matter what.

Anything else is still a very good question. Re: starters, I'm heavily debating between Chespin and Fennekin - Grass is one of my favorite types and I naturally gravitate towards starting with a Grass-type. On the other hand there are a few grass-types I'm very interested in trying out (Gogoat and potentially Orotto) and I cannot say the same for the local Fire-types (Talonflame has potential but I don't expect much from earlygame birds, tbf). The Kanto starters won't be seeing much use from me if at all (Probably will grab Bulbasaur though just because Bulbasaurs are fscking adorable).

The Honedge line holds some interest to me and may be trained. As for any non-Kalos Pokemon - that largely depends on what interesting Megas happen. I'm still holding out for Megalvantula or Mega Heracross (Can't have a team without some fricking awesome bug. this is ME we're talking about!), and then there's Mega Mawile - I always liked Mawile and the Fairy typing retcon plus the mega form's sheer amaze might sway me...

We shall see, ultimately.

But Noivern and Clauncher are definitely in.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Like a few others, my future team has changed slightly based on new information. Instead of training the event Torchic I'm heavily considering starting up my copy of X, obtaining Fennekin, and trading it over to Y so that I can train both Chespin and Fennekin on my first playthrough. I've never before trained two starters on my first playthrough of a new generation/region (always purposely avoided doing such tbh) but this time 'round I'll happily make an exception. :)

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I now have Pokemon X and I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to do a new Pokemon only run, or use my favourite Pokemon who happen to be in the game!

I am definitely going to train Fennekin, Honedge, and Mega Charizard X. Which, seeing as I'm getting the Event Torchic, means I will have far too many Fire Types. Hrm.

I do really, really love Salamence, so I'm thinking about catching a Bagon as they're so early in the game. I'm also thinking about catching an Axew because I haven't trained a Haxorus yet. Though if I go for new Pokemon only...

Klefki is adorable, so I will definitely catch one and think about training it.

Though I've started out my game, & caught a few pokémon, I'm currently in a hot mess when it comes to planning out my team. I'm trying to limit myself to only catching 10 pokémon (counting reserves) by first picking out my favorites, and then trying to make sure the team balances each other out in terms of type advantages and their strongest stats. While I already plan on having Diggersby as a reserve, here's what I have planned for my team right now:
  1. Chesnaught
  2. Frogadier
  3. Meowstic
  4. Heliolisk
  5. Aegislash
  6. One of these three Dragon types
    • Dragalge
    • Tyrantrum
    • Goodra
The one problem I'm worried about is that most of the pokémon have on this team specialize in speed and/or special attack, and I do not have that much bulk and physical support, so at first I was thinking of Tyrantrum (also because of how its rock typing gives it more covering). However, I love how Skrelp's part Poison type since I wanted to get one after learning about how their strong against Fairy types, while at the same time I always fall in love with Goodra's design and I know it can learn some Poison type moves

Here are the pokémon I'm considering for both my team and my reserves:
  • At the most two of the three Dragon types I'm torn between
  • Hawlucha
  • Trevenant
  • Carbink
  • Avalugg
  • Spritzee
  • Swirlix
  • Pyroar
  • Mawile (Mega evolution)
  • Kangaskhan (Mega evolution)
While I was thinking of getting a pokémon that can mega evolve, the only problem is that the only ones I do want won't have their mega stones available until post game

So far, the only definite pokémon right now are Chesnaught, Diggersby, and Frogadier, I'm just struggling to decide on the other seven. Some comments and opinions would be greatly appreciated

Ok, so for my first playthrough for Y, I am, for the first time ever, using more than 6 Pokemon for my team. Yes, it has come to this.

This is the result of having 450 total Pokemon available within the main game, with only a fraction of them being new, so I'll be switching the team out. Here's what I'm thinking of using so far:

Chespin (Definitely. And this guy won't be switched out, so if I do use Skiddo, it won't see much use.)
Squirtle
Torchic (The Event Torchic)
Honedge
Helioptile
Noibat

Except for two starters sharing a Fighting type later on, this is pretty balanced. However, here's some others I was thinking of using, and might switch out on:

Yveltal (Of course, I'll be switching him out with Noibat later)
Fletchling
Eevee (To evolve into Sylveon)
Ralts
Skrelp
Shinx/Blitzle/Electrike/Mareep (If I can find any one of these, especially Mareep, I'll switch it out with Helioptile)
Scatterbug
Tyrunt
Aron/Larvitar

For X Version, I'll be using Froakie, and I'm saving Skiddo, Amaura, Pancham, Clauncher, Xerneas, Houndour, and Aron/Larvitar(whichever is exclusive)

The only major addition so far is Skrelp, largely due to the awesome Dragalge ♥

These are just my thoughts so far, I might add to this if I decide to use any other Kalos Pokemon. Also, I'll definitely add to this if there's any other previous generation Pokemon I see and want to use.

I know it's late and is after X and Y's release, but I have both games.

My Froakie and Pokemon Y team:
Greninja(male)
Talonflame(female)
Heliolisk(male)
Sylveon(female)
Tyrantrum(male)
Aegislash(female)

My Fennekin and Pokemon X team is:
Delphox(female)
Gogoat(male)
Pyroar(male)
Aurorus(female)
Clawitzer(male)
Goodra(female)

My Chespin team is:
Chesnaught(male)
Pangoro(male)
Florges(female)
Meowsic(female)
Barbaracle(male)
Hawlucha(male)

To be honest, I can't stand Chespin, so I had no problem making a team like this. The only exception is Meowsic. The others are either bad battling Pokemon(Pangoro, Florges) or I just don't like them(Chesnaught, Barbaracle, Hawlucha).

Just saying because Florges is the same build as Sylveon, Main stats: Sp Def and Sp Atk and they are both higher than Sylveon's, in fact only Regice and Shuckle have higher Sp Def than Florges.

And Pangoro has a high attack stat (higher than Dialga, Palkia, Arceus and quite a few other legendaries) and has good typing and good abilities

Just gonna share my pre-league team.
I had Chesnaught, Aerodactyl, Charizard, Tyrantrum, Blaziken, Yveltal. Totally unbalanced, no water type or others to check weaknesses lol.

Now, the team I have in my BBox were Aegislash, Protean Greninja, DDance Tyrantrum, CB Klinklang, Metagross, and Accelgor.

meh

You know what? There's so many Pokemon I'm going to use, so screw it, I'm not even putting a limiter. I've made my preferences clear, but I'm just gonna use a huge variety of Pokemon, switching out a lot. This is why we got the Exp. Share upgrade; so that we could use a variety of Pokemon without getting behind and having to grind too much. I'll catch everything, and use half of everything I catch! :D

I'm afraid someone's going to overkill my team but i'll go with it:

Metagross
Dragonite
Gardevior
Charizard
Scizor
Vaporeon

These guys aren't EV/IV trained, but I really don't care about those because i'm the type of person that just enjoys playing the game besides taking anything seriously. At times I am competitive but win or lose, I just give my opponent a "Nice", just for being a good sportsmanship and for the love of the game. Cheesy/cliche but it's true.

My team was:
X version:
Delphox
Blaistoise
Gogoat
Hawlucha
Lucario
Tyrantrum

Y version:
Chesnaught
Blaistoise
Talonflame