• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Your Hopes for Pokemon Sun and Moon

So, the new pokemon games, Sun and Moon, were revealed some time ago, and the games are supposed to be released late this year. We're left with time to ponder; what do we want in these new instalments? Do we want some returning features, or maybe new ones? What do you want to see in Sun and Moon?

Personally, I'd like to see less Mega Evolutions and more permanent evolutions to previous pokemon. While I do like the idea of megas, I don't want them to become too common. At most I'd want only want four new megas this time around.

Also, a lot of pokemon could benefit more from a permanent boost in stats. Hell, even baby evolutions would be nice to see! Some pokemon I'd want to see permanently evolve is Mightyena, Dunsparce, Dedenne, Jynx and Farfetch'd. But that's just me.

I also want the Sun and Moon to keep the Poke-Amie and Super Training features. It's really fun just checking in on a pokemon, petting them and feeding them, plus having certain advantages the more your pokemon likes you really pays off. Super Training made competitive battling a lot more accessible and quick. :p

Well. My hopes for Sun and Moon...
  • A bike that can serve as both the Mach and Acro bike at once
  • More Primal Pokemon
  • A bigger new Pokedex (let's be honest, Gen 6 suffered from a lack of new Pokemon)
  • CHALLENGE MODE
  • (This one probably won't happen) Blood or Eclipse based Pokemon? Like, a blood moon and solar eclipse duo?

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I'd like to keep Pokemon-Amie and Super Training as well! I just thought they were fun, cute additions to what you could do with your Pokemon, even if Super Training wasn't as useful as horde battles when it came to quickly EVing your Pokemon (for me, at least).

I'd like them to bring Trainer Customization back as well. It was such a great thing in XY and I was very disappointed they didn't have it in ORAS. Hell, i don't care if they don't even expand the wardrobe, I just want to make my trainer pretty.

I agree that I'd like to see more previous Pokemon getting regular evolutions as opposed to Megas, though we'll have to see about that. I can't think of any off the top of my head that I'd like to see more evolutions for, but yeah.

Also more Eeveelutions please

I'd like to see

●The return of the feature from gold and silver where the first pokemon in your party walks around in the overworld with you

●permanent evolution to pokemon who need it like Arbok, Ursaring, Jynx, Farfech'd, Bisharp and axcelgore

●primal arceus needs to happen but no more type depending on item, instead maybe a new type

●new type like light, magic, cosmic, techno, chaos, sound, ect, ect, ect....

●new eeveelutions

●costume trainers

●return of team rocket, your probably asking how now that giovanii(is that how you spell it?) Is dead, well simple, jessy and James

●solrock and lunatone must get megas if not permanent evolutions

Tell me what you think

• An option to let my favourite pokemon follow me around just like in SS/HG!!!
  • RE-challenging trainers / gym leaders
  • ability to soar on any pokemon who can "fly / levitate" (not just latias or latios)
  • and more diverse moves for eevelutions!!♥ and maybe new megas like mega umbeon or espeon :D

My biggest wish would be for difficulty modes-- Fire Emblem can have a wide variety of difficulty modes, so it would be cool to see Beginner-Normal-Hard-Insanity modes for Pokemon as well. Say Normal is the current game mode while Beginner has extensive tutorials and you don't white out if you lose, your pokemon are all revived with half health right in front of that trainer or something. But then Hard introduces trainer level scaling and all the gym leaders/elite four have 6 pokemon, and Insanity has level scaling and every single trainer you encounter has 6 pokemon and an unforgiving AI and stuff like that.

With the VC RBY games being able to someday transfer pokemon to SM through pokebank, it would be cool if you could use other pokebank functionality, like you could designate a team of 6 pokemon stored in pokebank of a certain level and then import them to SM to start one of these higher difficulty modes at level 50, as if you were an experienced trainer going to a new region instead of starting from scratch. (And all the pokemon and trainers in the region would be scaled up.)

- Heck yes following/walking pokemon
- Customizable trainers
- New evolutions as well as megas, some pokemon need an evo AND a mega to be usable
- More key items that allow you to essentially replace an HM, like summoning lati@s to soar in ORAS. I'm tired of HM slaves, let me have 6 real pokemon. I don't need a whole pokemon to illuminate a cave when a flashlight works. Cuttable tree? I HAVE A SWORD. Big rock? Whistle that summons the mover machoke to take care of it. Surf can stay but give Wailord a custom sprite that fills up the whole screen. Make it happen Nintendo.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Like several others have already stated, I'd like to see various features from previous games return. Soaring, Pokemon following behind you, proper Gym Leader rechallenges with powered up teams, expanded player character customization, and horde battles are all features that I really enjoyed and want to see return.

But even moreso, I desperately want our generation 7 games to have a better post-game experience. Pokemon X and Y's post-game was almost nonexistent, and while Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire did things better (thanks to adding the Delta Episode) they still didn't go the full distance. The lack of the Battle Frontier and the ability to rechallenge Gym Leaders just screamed rushed development. Since Sun and Moon are our 20th anniversary titles, give us something cool to waste time on after the credits. A new World Tournament perhaps? Or maybe something even better and more creative. Anything beyond the bog standard Battle Maison battle methods would be welcome.

Finally, while I don't see this happening anytime soon (if ever with this franchise), I would be over the moon if they not only gave us Challenge Mode again but also implemented a New Game+ feature. It would be amazing being able to freely restart my games without needing to resort to mass trading of items each time I fancied doing so. Pokemon Bank has made restarting much easier than it used to be but it's only fixed half my problems. New Game+ someday, please GameFreak? Maybe? No? *Continues dreaming*

I'm easy to please. I just want trainer customization to come back (I'm a sucker for games where you can dress up your character) and I'd like Pokemon to follow you in the overworld again (though I'm reasonably certain this one isn't happening).

Now if we're talking pie-in-the-sky hopes and dreams, let me hit you with a few.
- The triumphant return of Miror B., aka the single best character to ever appear in any Pokemon game;
- The music being composed by the people behind XY and Colosseum/XD, who have put out the best battle themes to date;
- Multiplayer minigames a la Stadium, since it seems unlikely we'll get another Stadium ever;
- The ability to take screenshots for Miiverse, which I no longer have hopes for after they also disabled the feature in Yo-Kai Watch;
- An evolution for Farfetch'd, preferably named R'dukulous;
- The return of Pokeball Seals;
- Finally, I'd like the opponents' Pokemon to be leveled according to what your levels would be if you left the EXP Share on full-time. We'd then see end-game Pokemon in the 80s and 90s, which would be amazing.

Also, a lot of pokemon could benefit more from a permanent boost in stats. Hell, even baby evolutions would be nice to see!
I agree with this. The power creep over the last few gens makes it somewhat more difficult to use early-gen Pokemon effectively in competitive formats without sacrificing a mega slot (Beedrill and Pidgeot, for instance). But I'm a gen1'er, so it might just be me.:)

What I'd really like to see though are more items that boost stats for unevolved Pokemon, much like Eviolite and the Light Ball does. We see unevolved Pokemon battle all the time in the anime but I find it harder to keep up with the games unless I evolve them. I think it would be fun to take unevolved Pokes through the game while being better able to keep up with evolved forms.

I also would like to see more trainer customization. X/Y did a decent job with it. I'd like to see it taken to a greater level.

The biggest thing I want, as some people have already mentioned, is multiple difficulty modes. For me, the newer games in the series are getting really, really easy. And I mean, sure, I love Pokemon so I'm going to buy and play new games anyway, but just being able to breeze through the game without breaking a sweat kind of sucks. So I'd want the difficulty to be something you can select from the very start of the game. I know Black and White 2 had difficulty settings, but only having them available after you've already beaten the game is a bit limited. This way, if you're new to the series the game can take it easy for you, or if you've been here for waaaaay too long, you can ramp it up right from the start. And by difficulty I don't just mean give everybody more Pokemon at higher levels, all that tells me is to spend more time grinding. I mean make the AI more intelligent, so you don't get trainers who just sit there and spam leer and don't take advantage of that. Have some really legitimate strategies that each major boss works around that you have to figure out a counter for. But, don't be cheap about it either. Nobody likes a cheating AI.

The other thing I want is to make the plot of the game deeper and more involved. I loved Black and White for how nuts the plot was, and I really want to see more games go down that path, rather than whatever petty reason Lysandre was trying to destroy the world over. I don't even remember, that's how little of an impression it made on me. And lets not even start on Team Galactic. I understand that they have to make games to cater to the younger members of the community, but its still entirely possible to write a story that is for younger people and is engaging. At least do something beyond the generic going to destroy the world for whatever reason villain, please. Or if for some reason that's not possible, make it so that I care about the NPCs in the game. Again, Black and White were a step in the right direction, and then going into Gen 6 it all sort of just regressed. It kinda feels like they thought that the pretty new graphics would make up for the lack of a developed story and characters. Just like in the same way they thought that Mega Evolution would cover up the lack of new Pokemon. Which was another thing Gen 5 was awesome for (I bet you can't guess which games are my favorite). Anyway those are the major things I really want to see out of Sun and Moon. There are heaps of other little additions they could make which would be cool like a lot of the stuff people have already mentioned, but they're really second fiddle to these things.

Everyone here has posted excellent idea's, so i'm going to shoot for something different! What I want may seem unconventional, even stupid for some, bit I'm going to say it anyways!

I want a way to raise a Pokemons Iv's without breeding them!

Yes, yes it sounds dumb as hell, but hear me out. I have a Pokemon team all the way from Fire Red/Heart Gold, some of those Pokemon are over ten years old, TEN FREAKING YEARS! I just can't stand the idea of shoving them in the corner of the box for all eternity just because they're genetically predestined not to be perfect. I'd like an item that raised a Pokemon's IV in a single state by one, for like, let's say, every twenty BP you earned, kinda like vitamins, Technically, breeding would be a faster way to go about this, but this would be a good, alternative option for sentimental bastards like me who refuse to box the Dragonite I've had for Ten years just because of a few point differences!

If you want a more pratcial reason, imagine this: you've just spent HOURS tying to breed the perfect Pokemon, and finally, you got one that's so close, only a few points off! Do you spend several more hours trying desperately trying to grind for a perfect Pokemon? Or maybe, instead, you can speed a few of your extra BP on these IV increasing "vitamins" on your semi-perfect Pokemon so you don't have to potentially spend 200 years riding on your bike, hatching eggs, to get a genetically perfect perfect Pokemon! Plus, Game Freak could finally stamp out those jokes of Pokemon trainers using Pokemon as Sex slaves to get the perfect killing machines, that would be a good thing too.

That, and I'd also like for a Hidden Ability version of the Ability capsule. Seriously Game Freak, just make it a 500 BP point thing we need to grind for, it would take roughly the same amount of time for tying to find the same Pokemon with the hidden ability out in the wild, and this way, we wouldn't have to start from square one with our Pokemon breeding for a new one with the right nature every time a new generation comes around. I've gotten attached to my Ninetales that I've had for ten years, I don't want to shove her in my PC, never to be used again, just because she doesn't have her hidden ability. Yes, I know I sound like a nerd being over obsessive, but hey, I'm the sentimental type, and some of these Pokemon have been with me for half my life! I just don't want to see them stored away, never to see the light of day is all.

Last edited:
I have been so behind on games. I would love it if they kept Pokemon trainer dress up. And I like all the ideas everyone has for the games on here. I read someone's post some where, saying it would be nice to have a fairy type as a starter. Of course it would have to be a half (fire, water, grass).

1. Trainer customization
  2. Easy, medium, and hard mode
  3. Full on customization. Like automatic age, height, weight, hair length and style, A NO HAT POTION
  4. Back in Gold-Silver when pokemon could follow you
  5. A good after game story
  6. Another story based game like White and Black
  7. A not silly evil team
  8. New Eeveelutions
  9. No more HMs, but instead items
  10. A good rival
  11. Harder gyms
  12. A new type
  13. Cute starters

A DARK TYPE GYM!!!!!!!!!
I want this, but I don't want a dark type gym for the sake of having a dark type gym. I want one because it could be a really cool story element. gym leaders are seen as role models by their city, but dark types are considered evil and are shunned. There could be a real good Aesop and Story here of uncovering that the gym leader isn't really bad at all, and that dark types are just playfully evil, not malicious.

I'd love to see some more Steel/Dragon types, Dialga is starting to feel a little old at this point. A mega evolution for Flygon would also be nice.

Honestly, though, I'd love to see some new animations for Pokemon from Gens 1-6, at least for Pokemon Amie. I'm sure most of you do not care for that mode, but it is a nice mini game and one that I'd like to see return in SuMo. New animations for the models would work wonders for freshening the game experience.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I've been thinking about this one lately, and there's a few features I'd specifically love to see return from previous generations.
  • Difficulty Modes: Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 had a Key system that, among other things, allowed you to unlock Easy and Hard modes for the game. This was daft, but the idea of difficulty modes is something that Pokémon has needed for most of its life. Like many games, Pokémon is far too hard for some folks, like young kids, but far too easy for seasoned JRPG players and general old people. I'd like a switch, before starting the game, that changed up the AI that's used by the game, as well as adjusting their levels and Pokémon choices. Personally, I'd put the game on a Hard mode – give me much harder AI, slightly higher enemy levels, and more varied Pokémon teams to battle. While many players won't want to be rekt by the first gym, I want to actually have to think about what I'm doing and build my team properly to account for it. I humbly request a "git gud scrubs" mode so I can get my backside handed to me by Youngster Joey.
  • Music Variations: The fifth generation games introduced a simple but brilliant mechanic: at various points in the game, the music would change to indicate the significance of what you were doing. For example, once you'd fought a gym leader down to their last Pokémon, their music would change to a tense, up-tempo remix of the main Pokémon theme. In B2W2, this was extended further to have gym-specific themes that matched the personalities. Outside of gyms, music could change by season, and also based on the various wild battles you could have. Which neatly brings me onto...
  • Phenomena: A feature I was very sad to see missing from X and Y was phenomena – random appearances of rustling grass, rippling water, Flying Pokémon shadows, and so on. These were chances to find rarer Pokémon than you could conventionally, but also served to give the Pokémon overworld a lot more life than other generations. Tying into this is another feature missing from XY and ORAS, dark grass, which contained stronger Pokémon than regular grass.
  • Defog: Just kidding. Mandatory HMs are awful.
  • Pokémon World Tournament: Seriously, the PWT was amazing. Battle gym leaders and champions from all previous regions, with the full-strength Battle Frontier AI that would kerbstomp you if you weren't paying attention. Plus, you got remixes of all the previous gym leader and champion themes. It's unlikely that we'll get this back, but I can dream...
  • Habitat List: Granted, we got this back in ORAS to a great extent with the DexNav. But really, if something like this doesn't exist in Sun and Moon, then I wish a swarm of Zubat on the entirety of Game Freak.
  • An Actual Story: This one is mostly a rant for another day, but XY's story was lacking, and although the Delta Episode in ORAS was amazing, there wasn't all that much of it. BW's story, and the fact that it actually tied into B2W2, made the Unova games some of the most memorable for me.
  • Following Pokémon: In HGSS, you could have the lead Pokémon in your party follow you around the world. It hasn't appeared since, and the fanbase has been clamouring for it back since the first screenshots of Black and White were revealed. So for the sake of completeness, here it is...

Last edited:
i wanna see a dragon type eeveeloution and sidequests

I'd love to see some more Steel/Dragon types, Dialga is starting to feel a little old at this point. A mega evolution for Flygon would also be nice.

Honestly, though, I'd love to see some new animations for Pokemon from Gens 1-6, at least for Pokemon Amie. I'm sure most of you do not care for that mode, but it is a nice mini game and one that I'd like to see return in SuMo. New animations for the models would work wonders for freshening the game experience.
a steel dragon type with a bear trap for a mouth would be AWESOME