• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Your Favorite starter in your first game

Now I know in their game everyone would "LINK" to their starter and made them their favorite. So I made this topic! Enjoy and reply all you want! ;D

My favorite starter in Blue version... this is hard.
If I was serious with my journey then it'd be Bulbasaur but my favorite will have to go to Charmander. I would pick Squirtle, but Charmander and I have some connection going on, every mystery dungeon game I have played said I was a Charmander. ♥

Favorite starter in Blue version?

For me, it was Charmander. I remember playing when I was 8, enthralled by my adorable lizard that evolved into some crazy fire breathing flying majigger :>

Well, my favorite Starter in Silver is Cyndaquil. I don't know what the erf the little guy is supposed to be based on besides some sort of mouse, but he's pretty simple, yet he's awesome :D He proves that less is more.

I borrowed my friend's friend's Pokemon Emerald, and loved Mudkip. I used him all the time and didn't catch anything else. Now he also has a special space in my PokeHeart, with Slowpoke. :3

Last edited by a moderator:
My fav Starter from Godl version...hmmmm i would have to say that is Cyndaquil its just so cute and on top of it they are fire type which if my favorite.

My favourite starter from LeafGreen...

erk...err...umm.. :-[ I dunno.. I think it would have to be Squirtle~
That adorable little water turtle is underrated and needs love ♥

He has a great moveset and powerful final evolution, much like the rest of them<3

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
My first game was Pokemon Red, and I definitely did grow strongly attached to my first starter - Bulbasaur. Ever since Pokemon Red, Bulbasaur/Ivysaur have been part of my top favourites. Heck, the first Pokemon fanfic I ever wrote AAAAAAGES ago had me traveling with a Bulbasaur. ^^

my very first game was the pokemon firered version.in my first attempt,i have chosen squirtle as my starter,and idk why.but as i progressed through the entire game,and learn all of the movesets and used the three of the kanto starters,i realized my favorite was bulbasaur. I guess I turned to like Bulbasaur because of it's peaceful and quiet- type looking pokemon to me,and probably being the nature of grass types as peaceful pokemon,like Ash's Bulbasaur and Turtwig. Ever since, I remained a bulbasaur fanatic of my own,even having a sticker of bulbasaur on my game boy advance just to remind me of its beauty and toughness in a peaceful hear of my favorite Bulbasaur.. ♥

my first game...well, I got Red and Yellow at the same time, but I had played Red before. My starter was Charmander, and it will forever reign as my first memory of Kanto...nay, of Pokemon~

My first handheld game was Sapphire. Torchic was the clear winner for me - I thought it was adorable and it had an awesome evolution - Blaziken.

In Leafgreen...tough decision.

My original starter was Bulbasaur, which I named Oswald ♥ But after deleting that save file, and crying my eyes out from losing Oswald, I started again and chose Squirtle.

I had a nice time with my sweet little Bobo until I reached the same problem that made me start over before: Lorelei. She made me go poor before, and she did it again D:

Then I got little Casee on my Nuzlocke run ♥ I love her too, but she still wasn't my favorite.

I lke all of them pretty much the same. Sure, they all have their strong and weak points, but it's just so hard chosing favorites~! But, after winning by a tiny bit, Squirtle took the lead and won~! I loved Bobo's design and his cuteness ♥ Evolving into a giant turtle with guns for shoulders helps too~

My favorite starter in my first game...

Technically the first Pokemon game I played was Yellow, but that doesn't count for multiple reasons. Silver was the first main series game that I finished, and my favorite starter from there was definitely Totodile. For some reason I think Cyndaquil used to be my favorite because my cousin had one...which is ironic because I don't really like Cyndaquil now. I picked Totodile and I ended up falling in love with it ♥

I think I had Red before I had Crystal. In Red I chose Charmander and didn't let Brock bring me down! And In Crystal It was Cyndaquil that started me off. My sister had her own game running so I could never keep my little Cynda D= But once (when she actually let me keep this file (I think)) I managed to get to Typhlosion! My first though was that he looked like a walking pillowcase >>

Believe it or not, I never actually HAD Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, despite my name.

Well, since my first one was Gold... Gosh, this is hard. I usually picked Cyndaquil 'cause I love that little mouse thingy, but I have also started to have a liking against Chikorita (well, mainly Bayleef but you undretsand my point). Hmm, I think I'm gonna say Cyndaquil after all. When my first Cyndaquil became a Typhlosion I looooved (♥) him so bad. He and I created a bond, and I even leveled him up to level 100 (impressive if you know me, since I get bored sooooo fast). All my other Pokés, except perhaps Ho-Oh and Furret, was very underleveled but I'm not to blame since I was only like 6 or something.

I know I'm the one who made this but I wanta tell you mine..I'm gonna say 1st and 2nd games I played.So I chose the one for platinum is chimchar he is the most awesome little guy!And evolves into Infernape!!!2nd one is Soul silver and it was Cyndaquil the little cute mouse and evolves into Typhlosion Together we were unstoppable we are already one our last gym leader!!!So that is my pokemon starter faves(BTW whatch for another thing I'm gonna make called "What type of trainer are you??":3 ;D

Mine is Bulbasaur in FireRed :)
Great pokemon , cute , smart , strong .
Bulbasaur is the best pokemon ever !
Well to me it is , vie won so many battles with Bulbasaur and its evolutions .
Epic pokemon .

Ahh Emerald.. those were the days..
My favorite starter in that game (and probably of all time) is definitely Mudkip. I named it Fishnchips, and it was always with me. I loved it so much that I still continue to use it in Platinum as a vital part of my Wi-Fi battles team. Oh dear Mudkip, I love you so...

To be perfectly honest, I started Red with a Bulbasaur, but when I saw what a hideous beast it evolved into, my seven year old mind thought 'SCREW THIS!', so I carelessly deleted hours of work and started again with a Charmander because it kept kicking my @$$ when Gary used it. Also, I thought it looked AWESOME. =D

My first starter was bulbasaur in fire red but it wasn't my favorite then I got emerald and fell in love with treeco so I migrated it to platnum where my turtwig was but I lost platnum to a lawn mower :'( so I my over all favorite is snivy I mean its cool smart speedy and strong but I will never forget treeco :(

52Crossroads

Formerly Gya
my first game was blue version. and my first pokemon, ever, was bulbasaur. it was also my first pokemon card.
to this day, i have a special connection with grass/poison pokemon.

Mr.RMA

Magearna before it was cool
My first and favorite starter is, and will always be, the Squirtle I had in Pokemon blue. Been sticking with water types ever since then.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Surprisingly, for the huge fan of the grass-type that I am, my first ever starter in my first ever game, Red, was Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard. There was just something rather awesome about the thought of commanding a majestic, winged fire-breathing dragon... thingy to the younger me.

These days I'm neutral on Charizard. I like the way it looks in my head (which is much less pot-belly-derpy-looking) but it's hardly one of my favorite starters. My favorite Gen 1 starter these days is Bulbasaur/Ivysaur (I'm a bit eh on Venusaur's appearance, but it still kicks arse anyway) - even though these days I wouldn't touch the original Gen 1 games with a ten foot pole. XD

Wow... Back In 2005, My Friend Let Me Have His Emerald, Which Was My First Pokemon Game, And I Picked Torchic Because I Like Fire. And Instantly I Was Hooked! I Would Recommend That Pokemon As A Good Starter For Its Stats, Appearence, And Evoloution.

TracyMarx said:
Wow... Back In 2005, My Friend Let Me Have His Emerald, Which Was My First Pokemon Game, And I Picked Torchic Because I Like Fire. And Instantly I Was Hooked! I Would Recommend That Pokemon As A Good Starter For Its Stats, Appearence, And Evoloution.
Blaziken for the win!
Silver was my first game.I was extremely young ,like 4 or 5 years old ,when I started Pokemon ,back when you could still buy a Gameboy Color outside of Ebay. I played through a few times and I have to say my favorite starter was Chickorita. I found it a more "pleasent" experience (CURSE YOU FALKNER ,CURSE YOU BUGSY ,AND CURSE YOU PRYCE AND YOUR GRASS KILLING POWERS)

My fave starter is Cyndaquil. I love him! When I started Silver, Gold, and Soulsilver (no Heartgold :p) I always started with him. Typhlosion is now part of my awesome team of lv. 100's.

Blue version was my very first game, i chose Squirtle...and though my favourite is Blastoise, my favourite 'starter' would have to be Bulbasaur.

In other games i chose Totodile, Treecko and Turtwig...all T's haha