• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Your favorite Game Soundtracks?

A game's only half as awesome without the music and sound effects to go with it. But I'm sure you've heard some choice themes that act as a constant reminder of your favorite games, or are simply awesome on their own. So share your favorite themes here.

On the top of my head, the two games whose OSTs I'm spamming at the moment are Kingdom Hearts and Blazblue Calamity Trigger.

Here's just two examples of why I love the music of these two games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exM36YMs4kA

The 13th anthology is...just that. An anthology of all themes in Kingdom Hearts pertaining to Organization XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8MJxlfC1k8
Lust Sin- the stage and character theme of Jin Kisaragi from Blazblue. Blazblue's cast of 14 characters each have their own theme song. (Ragna has two, one being his stage theme, and the other his boss theme. Also, certain characters have a rivalry theme that plays when they are confronting specific characters.)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Oh GOD, how I could I forget Phoenix Wright?!

2, 3 and Apollo Justice all have great soundtracks too - but the first nailed it first time. Spotlessly perfect.

Allow me to share my one of my personal favourite tracks in my personal favourite rendition:

HTML:

But there's also this one...:

HTML:

I could go on with the entire album actually, and all the other ones - but I'd say these are the two most shining examples of why Phoenix Wright is a fantastic game with fantastic music. (Even if these specific tracks aren't literally in the game).

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
... I'm sorry. It's early, and I don't have the energy to link to music. You can all youtube/goggle 'em XD

But god, I love tons of OSTs. Pretty well any Wild ARMs game (2nd/1st/4th/3rd/5th in that order), Final Fantasy VI, VII, VIII, XII, and choice songs from IX and IV, Xenogears (all of it), Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross (the ONE thing they share in common XP), Kirby Super Star Ultra (hugs TBA), Final Fantasy Legend II (so little to it, but so much awesome), Sonic 1/2/3/&K, Lunar SSSC and EBC, Super Mario RPG (love the direction they took with it), Secret of Mana (some is just gorgeous), Tales of Symphonia/Tales of Vesperia (anyone who's played 'em can probably agree), and Final Fantasy Tactics (the original on PSX, and filled with awesome).

Honestly, the DKC OSTs all deserve mention as well, because they all have awesome music. That and SSBB. It might be a huge compilation, but it's still one game's soundtrack XD

Hmm... lets see.

Final Fantasies, Kingdom Hearts, et cetera.

Halos. Awesome tracks, especially at the last level of Halo 3. Godlyness in a can.

A fair few Star Wars games have nice soundtracks... the more recent ones mind you.

Um, I think thats about it. Audiosurf has a nice soundtrack, considering its whatever you choose it to be :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I didn't mention it, but I do agree with LoN and Hax. Kingdom Hearts games have excellent music. I ended up buying the KH 2 OST and really enjoy listening to it. :)

My favorite game soundtracks are Kingdom Hearts and all of the Final Fantasies. I really like the piano parts on the songs in the soundtracks.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Blame the "favourite bosses" topic:

Dancing Mad - Part 1

Dancing Mad - Part 2

After relistening to the tune for good measure... This really is my favourite end boss battle music pretty well ... ever. The Black Mages version barely changed any of it, too, which just shows how perfect it already was :O

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Two words: Kingdom Hearts. It is my favorite game series and has my favorite OST. I have all nine discs of the Complete OST saved on my laptop.

The Final Fantasy series also has great music. Just afew examples off the top of my head would be Dancing Mad (FF:VI), Shinra Company (FF:VII), One Winged Angel (FF:VII), Maybe I'm a Lion (FF:VIII), and Seymour Boss Battle (FF:X).

God of War has a pretty intense OST too, esspecially the Minotaur Boss battle.

The Soul Calibur seies OST. Most of the stages in any game have pretty badass background music such as The Egyptian Ruins Theme in SCII, Forsaken Sanctuary in SCIII, and the Carnival Theme in SCIV.

And yes, I will say it: Pokemon. Esspecially any theme remixed by PokeRemixStudios.

Hhhmmmmm, I never listened to any KH songs expect Simple and Clean, and that song kicked ass. However:

I love the really old Super Nintendo game Secret of Mana for every single thing about it, especially its soundtracks. Liek, fucking awesome. I remember my brother and I absolutely adoring one boss battle music, and even when I first heard it at age five, no game song I ever heard after that could beat it. The Boss music for every other battle was okay too. I mean, play this is while doing ANYTHING and it would be exciting. Here's that badass music for ya, and this song is STILL creepy every time I hear it., Epic as hell. Too bad you don't hear it often. Conclusion FIRST song you hear in the game. Spirit of the Night I always had issues with this music because the villagers are jerk offs and kicks you out while this is playing. Even after you save their asses. Then there's also Repeating Eternity simply majestic.

Then there's Legend of Mana, with some of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Srsly, these songs are just way too lovely. I'd liek, post some, but there are so many I'd just spam this whole page, just look it up. I'll post this one though

And recently, I began loving the songs of The World Ends With You, they have awesome taste. After all, Psychedelic sounds like a really cool boss battle music, almost as cool as SoM's. Then there's Someday, O-Parts (even I don't know why I like this song XD), Shibuya, and Transformation (my favorite) Oh I have a lot more, but these are the ones that really stand out to me.

Ooh, a game soundtrack topic! Hurrah!

My personal favorite has to be The World Ends With You. It's got this great feel to it that complements the style of the game nicely. I have to say that my favorite track is "The One Star", which has this rock twinge with a hit of character desperation, mixed with confidence and arrogance. No, I don't know how those things mix. I haven't quite figured it out myself. Also, songs like "Someday" and "Hybrid" are pretty awesome too. And if you want the "this would be hard as hell to sing along to, and it's weird, but it's catchy" feel, my pick is "O-Parts". I don't think I can get out, in actual words, how well that soundtrack matches the game, and how, if I were actually trapped in Shibuya, fighting for my life, I'd want that music to be playing in the background.

Second... Hmm, probably the Halo set. In fact, I feel that the music was one of the only things that kept the same level of quality throughout the series. I especially remember the E3 2006 Trailer- also known as the first official trailer for Halo 3. It was included as a bonus track on the H3 soundtrack... and every time I listen to it, I remember the feeling of epicness it brought about in my then-Halo fangirl heart. It's also the only Halo 3 song that doesn't make me remember how disappointing the storyline was. The E3 2007 Trailer also had it's perks, but it wasn't nearly as epic as 06, in my opinion.

And there's some Kingdom Hearts BGM songs that I still hum in my head. (Damn you, Traverse Town!)

ALSO: Pokemon D/P/P had some damn catchy songs. I'm lookin' at you, Veilstone Game Corner.

I'd say... Bioshock.
Quite a few lovely contrasts of spooky or genuinely creepy places in the game itself, and the music really complimented that. For example, the violin and drum track at the very start of the game, when Andrew Ryan was making his infamous recorded speech in the Bathysphere... well, it really hammered in some atmosphere, if anything else.

Not to mention there was "Cohen's Masterpiece", which was a wonderful piano solo. And combine that with the dark, almost insane, character that is sander Cohen, and you have... well, a great piece of music, really.

But on other games, I suppose I adore BlazBlue's great pumped up guitar pieces, especially Jin's theme. Iron Tager's is also really rather good.

I agree with those who've mentioned Kirby Super Star Ultra... Oh, good times, good times. I still remember the slightly out-of-key, but fantastically so, theme for the Great Cave Offensive.

D/P/P. 'Nuff said.

And, um, maybe no one's mentioned it because it would kind of be cheating, but... Brawl anyone?

Super Mario Galaxy has a superb soundtrack as does D/P/Pl.
Also, I like selected tracks (e.g. Rainbow Road from Mario DD .)
Oh and I also like the Mother songs.

Recently I've obtained the FF12 soundtrack... aaaand, you can safely say that there's a reason why I'm now playing that game over and over, and also a reason why I've replaced the soundtrack on AoE3 with the FF12 one :p