• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Your favorite Christmas vids/tunes

21/22 days to go, depending where you are in the world.

While we've discussed what we want and what we want to do for the holidays, I'd like to ask just what sort of music/movies make you think of Christmas? It could be that age-old jingle playing at the mall or the Christmas specials airing on the day itself or the weeks the precede it.

For our family, the weeks before Christmas means Advent season. A time to look on all past forms of evil. naughtiness and mischief and repent for them in preparation for the holiday itself. each week is signified by a the lighting of one of four advent candles and the song 'O Come Emannuel' playing in the background.

While not necessarily a Christmas jingle, its one of my favorite songs and is a lovely reminder that the holidays are here.

instrumental version
version sung by Enya

One of my favorite Christmas artists is Mannheim Steamroller. Love their stuff. Even their non-Christmas stuff. Trans-Siberian Orchestra rocks too, but not as awesome as Mannheim.

A Twisted Christmas by Twisted Sister is a also a sweet album. Great for the metal heads!!! They remade old Christmas songs.

It always gets played around Christmas time. I guess because it kind of takes place on Christmas Eve, but I absolutely love It's a Wonderful Life.
I simply have to watch that movie every year, because George Bailey is just that awesome.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Carol of the Bells- any version. That is the best Christmas song out there in my opinion. Even though I have the song on my computer, I only listen to it in December because of its nature.

As for movies, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, and Charlie Brown's Christmas are must sees before the 25th.

One of the few non-carol/Christmas hymn songs I do like is 'Last Christmas' done by the Beatles. It is such an emotion-packed song, and mentioning Christmas just seems to make it stronger.

My favorite Christmas song, overall, is 'I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day.' It has an uplifting message, tune, and isn't boring like some hymns. However, 'Joy to the World' is also awesome because of that.

Don't forget all the childish parodies of that song, though. *shifty eyes* *grin* When I was younger, I sang 'Joy to the world, that Barney's dead/I barbecued his head!'

As far as songs go, I'd say that anything off of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra's CD "The Lost Christmas Eve" is amazing.

Movies, well, along with the obvious choices of How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer, and Santa Claus is Coming to Town, I would definitely say that The Muppet Christmas Carol is one of my must sees before Christmas. If for no other reason than that it's the MUPPETS ^_______^

Favorite songs... God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen has gotten on top of my list, and I have to agree with Secad, I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day is also great... I love most of the Christmas carols and hymns, it's my favorite season for music.
I always have fond memories of Mannheim Steamroller, Nutcracker suite and Chicago Christmas CD's playing around this time of year, it just doesn't seem right if they aren't playing all December.
Just gotta love the little spin-offs... "Jingle Bells, Batman smells..." or "Joy to the world, Barney's dead". Stuff like that is always fun too.

As for movies, gotta watch Charlie Brown, How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Santa Clause is Coming to Town. I can't believe nobody's said A Christmas Story yet, "You'll shoot your eye out!" is classic. That's all I can think of for now... may edit latah.

Well for me it is the Jingle bell tunes, all of them including the original, but there is on thing that all ways makes me remember Christmas, and that it Deck the halls with bells of holly.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
While there are a lot of more traditional Christmas songs I enjoy, the one that really stands out to me is probably "War is Over" by John Lennon. I actually didn't know what the name of the song was until just now, and I'm still not sure which title variation is more widely accepted ("Happy Christmas" or "Happy Xmas"). Regardless... It might've been written years ago for a specific purpose, but it's still a touching and beautifully sung song.

When it comes to videos... I think the holiday movies from my childhood are the ones that mean the most: Charlie Brown and Garfield's Christmas specials. I've also gotten into the habit of watching the Christmas Pokemon DVD with my little sisters each year, but that's simply because it's Pokemon and it fits the season XP

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Watership Down always used to be on the TV around Christmas, so it's something I used to always make sure I watched. I now have it on DVD, so I still have the tradition of watching it, even though it isn't always on TV anymore

As a family we always go and see a film just before Christmas, usually on Christmas Eve. That tradition started with the first Lord of the Rings and just kind of caught on. Not sure what we'll see this year together. Narnia was great as the Christmas movie one year ^^

As for a song, "Spaceman came Travelling" by Chris De Burgh has always been one of my favorites. Not sure why XD

As far as Christmas TV specials go, I'd have to say Charlie Brown Christmas is my favorite. I'm watching it tonight with the family. My favorite song would be Carol of the Bells. I've recently heard this cool synthesized version that really awesome.

Rex

Resident Furry
While I can't stand most Christmas music, one song I do enjoy is Feliz Navidad by Jose Feliciano. It always gets me happy around the holidays, no matter how much the song before it make me bash my head in.

Christmas: The best holiday of the year

As for the music, it's that sort of sound that reminds us how festive and cheery this holiday is. I like a lot of the carols, but my favorites would have to be "Jingle Bells", "Silent Night", and "Winter Wonderland" in that order.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
My favourite christmas music video's Pipes of Peace, if only because I like the idea of some kind of peace in wartime. And it's sweet. ^^

As far as movies/TV goes, I bought both Mickey's christmas thing and Muppet's Christmas Carol the other week, and no Christmas can go without Doctor Who... So I'm all set for this year ^^

My favorite Christmas tunes are The Little Drummer Boy and The Sugar Plum Fairy Theme. I always hear those songs around Christmas time.

I've decided I also love watching The Santa Clause every year. The second and third were pointless, but were OK. I mean seriously, wouldn't he have started changing back into his old self years ago since he didn't have a Mrs. Claus? But overall still awesome.

The band Toto made a Christmas song that i often hear on the radio, it's like a mosh pit of many classic Christmas songs sang in their own style from the song "Africa".

I also like "Canon".

I'll star with some of my favorite Christmas songs, in no praticular order: The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late), Carol of the Bells (the rock version), Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer, and All I Want For Christmas is You (by Mariah Carey (sp?)) These are my must listen songs for anytime between Dec 1st and 25th
Now, some of my favorite movies: The Polar Express, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (either one), Elf, and, while its not Christmas themed, it makes me think of Christmas- Naruto: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow.

Then there's all the specials: Hey, Hey! It's Knishmas (Chowder), A Scooby-Doo Christmas, and a couple new ones that premiered this year: Prep & Landing and Merry Madagascar. There's also the older one: Rudolph, Charlie Brown, etc.

I'll agree with Psycho Monkey. Carol of the Bells is the best Christmas song out there. I start playing it sometime after Remembrance Day and keep hitting "replay" until December 25, afterwards it just doesn't seem right to play it.

I know this barely has anything to do with ‘real' Christmas music, but I love the soundtrack for ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas' and ‘The Nightmare Revisted.' Fall Out Boy's remix of ‘What's This?' is pretty awesome.

Last edited by a moderator: