• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Your easiest and hardest job interviews?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
So, I think I just had one of my easiest job interviews yet. The woman interviewing me for it - being the boss - did ask a few questions, but it was fairly obvious that I'd already landed the position before walking through the door. I love when things work out that smoothly, especially since reworking my resume and writing up a proper cover letter was a bit of a headache.

What about the rest of you who work or have worked? What were your easiest or best job interviews, and/or what were your hardest/most stressful?

I'd say my most stressful was probably for my previous job. Three people interviewed me, and having them all staring intently while answering rather indepth and open-ended questions was not fun. That interview probably lasted 45 minutes to an hour... if not more @_@

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I just went for one this morning XD

While I do a little work from home, it's about time I got off my butt. It went ok and I have the job, I already have loads of work to do for the trial two weeks... I'm the new Marketing Designer ^^

It was me and four people, who I showed my portfolio and explained a little about myself. As far as other's have gone, this one was ok and not too stressful. I've had interviews where I've been in front of a whole group of people who picked at every detail of each piece I showed them and asked really weird questions. I've been asked 'If you were to compare yourself to an animal, what would you be and why?' which threw me for a second at the time XD

The last interview I went for though was probably the most stressful. I'd only just passed my Driving Test and the interview was in Manchester. It's not that far away, but I still found the whole experience stressful. It was an strange interview as well, which didn't last very long considering how far I'd driven.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I've been asked 'If you were to compare yourself to an animal, what would you be and why?' which threw me for a second at the time XD

That... is rather awesome. I'd say the hardest question I was ask at my previous interview (for an acute care RN position) was "What steps would you take if you suspected someone to be having a heart attack?" because those people wanted an indepth, step by step description... and there's always differing opinions on proper care D:

And yeah, my interview was today as well. I'm a Computer Lab Instructor for ESL students at our local college (part-time and temporary, but still money in my pockets). Should be fun ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hahaha yeah imagine that. But what i want to know is, who would ask you that? Animal Conservation or Something?

Pretty sure from her description that the interview was related to artwork/designing of some sort. Either way, it's actually not that strange to hear. A lot of employers aren't looking for direct "knowledge" answers these days - they want to know what makes a person tick. Anybody can study a text book and spout off info, but that doesn't mean they're as qualified for the job as someone with a creative mind, eh?

It really depends on the employer and interview-style, but I've experienced various. Example, instead of asking "What would you do if ______ happened?", my interviewers asked me "What did you do in this situation, and what would you do differently if such occurred again?"
The speed of response and comfort levels shown by the interviewee can give a good feel for how confident they are in their own ability to problem solve AND to evaluate their own actions. Not only does it show you have life experience, it allows to employer to judge how well you are at analyzing and improving your own work habits.

It seems that the typical style of interviews has changed over the years, and I know there's a specific term used for the new approach but can't recall it offhand...

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Hahaha yeah imagine that. But what i want to know is, who would ask you that? Animal Conservation or Something?

It was for a design position. What Linkachu said about the interviewer wanting to know more about what makes you tick is especially true for design related jobs - the employer wants to know you have an imaginative mind. You have to be able to 'think on your feet' as well, so unusual questions are a good way to test interviewees (That so looks like it's spelt wrong, but I don't think it is!). Lateral thinking is a must.

Linkachu ~ Congrats on the Job! It certainly sounds like fun, and extra money is always welcome. On top of the Freelance work I mentioned before, I still have my little part time job at Tesco (Bleh)... I dislike it greatly but still...
extra money + food discounts ^^;

Thinking of Tesco, I didn't like the interview. It was all questions like "Describe a time when you were responsible for something or someone, and explain how you dealt with it," or "Describe a situation you were in that involved teamwork and explain your part in it."

My memory is terrible, but thankfully my inventive mind is rather quick to the mark, so lets just say I embellished a little... based on truth of course XD
I must have done well though, because I'd barely got back before before they rang to offer me the job!