• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Yet another team I'd like rated

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
So many OU pokemon in this, especially compared to my general choice of pokemon and strategy ;_;
Oh well... at least they [mostly] have my own twist to them.

Medicham @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
-Hi Jump Kick
-Zen Headbutt/Psycho Cut
-Ice Punch
-Thunderpunch
EVs:
HP
4​
ATK
252​
DEF
252​

With a whopping 480 attack, Medicham can only be beat in unboosted attack by ubers. 388 speed drops it just shy of outspeeding base-130 speed pokemon, but faster than everything else.
Medicham is my first option at a lead.
Hi-Jump Kick is for powerful STAB, even though it could be costly when it misses.
Zen Headbutt is slightly more powerful, and has a better chance of giving me a second attack than Psycho Cut has at giving me a critical... though Psycho Cut doesn't lack accuracy.
Ice and Thunderpunch are for their near flawless coverage

Rhyperior @ Scope Lens/Muscle Band
Adamant Nature
Solid Rock Ability
-Stealth Rock
-Rock Blast
-Earthquake
-Endeavor
EVs:
HP
4​
ATK
252​
S DEF
252​

Rhyperior is my second option for a lead... massive base defense and HP, as well as the full training in special defense with Solid rock will make it very hard to OHKO. As a result, I should just about always be able to pull off Stealth Rock, or greatly punish anything that might try taunting.
Stealth Rock is for generel team support, especially Dusknoir's attempts to force switches
Rock Blast for it's capability to break substitute. It'll help as an anti-batonpass if I use it in the lead, or just a general sub-breaker elsewhere. If it settles as the non-lead, I'll probably exchange for Stone Edge.
Earthquake Powerful STAB from base 140 attack hurts, 'nuff said.
Endeavor because I felt like being odd and couldn't decide on a last move... this could potentially combo well with Night Shade from Dusknoir as well.

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
-Curse
-Pain Split
-Protect
-Night Shade
EVs:
HP
40​
DEF
216​
S DEF
252​

Another ghost that will eat your soul.. Curse should hopefully cause at least one switch, two or three if I can play it well enough.
Curse drains half of my health in addition to whatever damage I just took from an attack [which hopefully didn't knock me below half] and should convince an opponent to switch.
Pain Split will help keep me alive after using curse, and I'll probably be able to heal substantially after the first switchin, and then Night Shade or curse again.
Protect stalls for leftovers and curse damage on something that would stay in. Also pairs well with pressure.
Night Shade protects me from Taunt, as well as giving me a nice set damage move.

Electivire @ Life Orb
Lonely Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Punch
-Cross Chop
-Earthquake
EVs:
HP
4​
ATK
252​
SPD
252​

Almost as standard as it gets... I might sacrifice some speed for special attack, or swap nature around a bit if I feel it neccessary after testing. Picked to absorb incoming-Thunder Waves in particular.
Thunderbolt is here as a wall-breaking STAB... namely for stray skarmory who think about being brave.
Other attacks for the superior coverage they offer... simple as that XD

Ninetales @ Wise glasses / Mystic Water
Timid Nature
-Will-o-Wisp/Confuse Ray
-Fire Blast
-Hidden Power: Water / Energy Ball
-Dark Pulse
EVs:
HP
4​
S ATK
252​
SPD
252​

First special attacker on the team.. main purpose for being chosen is to absorb Will-o-Wisp that may be aimed at Medicham, but can very easily attack even without that power-boost.
Status attack is because Ninetale's special attack isn't too spectacular, though it does have good speed and special defense. Will-o-Wisp would cover my not so great defense, while Confuse ray is more accurate and can stun opponents.
Fire Blast Will help with a lack of Sp. Attack somewhat, even if a bit inaccurate
Hidden Power: Water is specifically for the fact I'd want ninetales to be a Will-o-Wisp absorber - This attack would be for shoddy only, since I lack the willpower to breed for this.
Energy Ball would be the alternative, and would allow me to cover water, rock and ground.
Dark Pulse is mainly coverage, but I chose it over Extrasensory since I may be switching into ghosts that use Will-o-Wisp too.

Latias @ Lum Berry
Timid nature
-Recover
-Calm Mind
-Dragon Pulse
-Surf/Thunderbolt
EVs:
HP
4​
DEF
252​
SPD
252​

A sort of a speedy tank, and can also absorb status with the lum berry. Superior typing and defenses should allow it to switch into most anything not super effective, and I know from experience that even super effective special attacks [from most pokemon] tend to bounce off.
Recover Will allow me to restore HP and stay in play longer, and also gives more breathing room for my next attack
Calm Mind allows me to boost special defense even higher than it already starts, as well as giving a bit of an offensive edge to Latias
Dragon Pulse is definite for covering all types except steel.
Surf would give me perfect coverage outside of Empoleon
Thunderbolt would give me perfect coverage outside of Steelix and Magneton/zone, but also gives a bit of redundancy on the fact I've already got electric on two of my pokemon

As a whole, I like the team.. It's not consistent of the fastest pokemon, though Latias and Ninetales have decent speeds.
I have no Rapid-spinning pokemon, which only really hurts Ninetales.. though it hinders Electivire somewhat as well.
I have nothing to force switches outside of Dusknoir... and even Dusknoir doesn't like taking Swords Danced or Nasty Plot attacks very well.
I have a triple ground weakness, which doesn't really bother me much... Rhyperior can shrug off Earthquakes, Electivire has it as its only weakness, but it does get murdered by them, and Ninetales will be able to cripple with either Confuse Ray or Will-o-Wisp.
Finally, I also have a triple ghost weakness, I've just realized... damn Psychic types >>

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Hmm...

Only a few things to note really:

- Dusknoir seems fine, although I'd personally love to see Spite on there somwhere, even though you don't really have any moves you can drop for it. It's worth taking into consideration though as a possible move if one of the four you have ends up not performing to a decent standard.

- I'd lean towards HP Water on Ninetales over Energy Ball for the surprise value it has. A lot of Fire-types will expect to be safe against Ninetales, but that will easily catch them off-guard. Also, I'd opt for Wisp over Confuse Ray simply because Wisp lasts forever, whereas Confuse Ray is removed by a switch-out - overall, Wisp's crippling effect is much more potent than Confuse Ray's. Also, I'd lean more towards Wise Glasses, so that you get the boost on your Fire Blast as well (and an extra 10% on that is actually quite a boost.)

- You may want to consider putting a small portion of EVs into Sp.Attack on 'Vire - a lot of Skarms like to put EVs in Sp.Defense just in case of movesets like yours. You could possibly consider Thunder over Thunderbolt on the set to give an extra chance to get an OHKO, but the terrible 70% accuracy probably isn't worth it - your choice.

- Finally, Latias will always be walled by (not including Shedinja) something or other that is part-Steel. I personally would opt for Thunderbolt since overall Empoleon is more threatening to Latias than either Steelix or Magnezone. However, with Rain teams being quite popular now, Surf could catch those teams out and give your tank something to use against the Rain Dance teams, since almost all of them will have something that can defend against the obvious Electric vulnerability.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I just don't get it... XD

I play with all of these other teams I've posted here, that usually don't have a single OU pokemon [or at least OU movesets] in them. I get ratings, and I even win before making changes.

I post this team, and out of fifteen battles, I've won two. One battle had a team consisting of a Mr. Mime who hyper beamed Latias as it was Calm Minding, and the other had a defense trained weavile which taunted medicham.
Something is really wrong with this team, though the Dusknoir works well enough XD

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
It's a sign - OU is not your niche. Get a team of Cherrim, Farfetch'd, Pachirisu, Luvdisc, Beedrill and (of course) Smeargle and you'll be back on winning form in no time. ;D