• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Would you raise Legendaries in-game if they were given at lower levels?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm aware that for many players, including myself, the fact that most legendary Pokemon we're given access to are level 40/50 or higher (whether it be within our games or event distributions) puts us off wanting to train them in-game. What's the point having a Pokemon on your team that can barely be used until post-Elite 4, eh?

So it got me thinking: if more of these event distributions gave us legendary Pokemon at lower levels, would any of you use them on your teams? If yes, which legendaries in particular would you like training? I'm specifically referring to main story teams here, not post-game or competitive.

For myself, the answer is a solid "Yes". While I favour non-legendary Pokemon when playing through my games, I have on occasion added a legendary to my team if I initially received it at a low enough level (ie. Suicune, Tornadus Therian Forme, and Mew via the Pokemon RBY glitch). I really loved that Gen 5 gave us access to Victini and the other mythical Unova Pokemon at such low levels, too. It's just nice having the option, y'know?

Someday I'd like to finally raise a Victini on one of my teams, and I'd be happy training a Shaymin as well. That said, I've likely already raised a Shaymin and just forgotten... X'D

Oh absolutely! They'd still be really overpowered but at least it feels like you put in some effort by leveling them up rather than just getting a nuke at the end of the game. As for which legendaries well, I'd prefer the weaker ones to feel a little fairer on the game honestly (no level 1 Rayquaza thanks).

I'm currently thinking of using the Celebi given for buying GS on the 3DS as part of my Ultra Moon team honestly, just because you so rarely get the chance to level up a legendary. The only other's I've raised would be a glitched Mew in Blue and Manaphy in Pearl.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I would and I have. I've done Articuno and Mew in different Blue playthroughs, Lugia in Silver and Soul Silver, Suicune in Crystal, Kyogre in Sapphire and Alpha Sapphire, Palkia in Pearl, and Lunala in Moon. I slightly regret not using Yveltal in Y since the game even prompts you to switch it in but I already had my team planned and didn't want to change it. Rayquaza, Zekrom, and Kyurem weren't used in their respective games because you didn't get them until post game and Giratina suffered the same fate as Yveltal where I already had my team in Platinum set. Given the chance to replay Platinum and Y, I would use their cover Legendaries that time around. I'd probably use a Victini in a Gen V playthrough if I could get one.

when gen 5 came out, i was all over raising victini, mine is somewhere on bank now with my first black team at level 80-something. I have played through platinum with a team of low level legendaries using an R4 (latios, latias, darkrai, shaymin, giratina, deoxys), but i got bored and never finished as there was pretty much no challenge. Currently i'm playing through yellow on the eshop with mew, it's become more of a last resort in battle and a way of destroying tms if the bag is full lol.

I completely understand why there's no access to legendaries early on in games except in a few cases, but I do think it would be much better to get event legendaries low enough to play through as some sorta mythical trainer. I'd actually really like to see the key system restored, give us access to a harder mode that will in turn give us a low level legendary at some point.

Just thinking out loud, but i can't remember what i ever did with the level 1 dialga and giratina i got in hg/ss, that was fun, shame you got them at the most useless time, but hey free legendary