• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Winter-een-mas 2006

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
http://www.wintereenmas.com/

Wintereenmas starts today, so officially consider this snazzy upgrade our celebration of it. ;)

Over this week i'm also going to dig out some old systems and play them (sort of) like I've been playing the SNES recently.

So, what are you doing to celebrate the holiday of gaming?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Happy WEMas! ;D ... I'd never even heard about this holiday until today. I suck :p

Hmm... What will I do? I'm free most of Friday afternoon so I say a mini-Mario Kart DS tournament is in order! Or if that sounds too complicated, we should all just try to be on and race one another. I haven't actually raced more than two of you guys at the same time and 4-player races are much more fun than two/three.

Other than that, I guess I'll be doing what I usually do. Playing lots of AC WW and Wild Arms Alter Code: F. Maybe I'll head out and pick up We Love Katamari or Advanced Wars DS, too. Who knows? Might even break down and buy Electroplankton if it's still available ;)

The 25th-31st of January is all about honoring gaming (so says the url Doc posted), so get to it people! 8)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Hmm... What will I do? I'm free most of Friday afternoon so I say a mini-Mario Kart DS tournament is in order! Or if that sounds too complicated, we should all just try to be on and race one another. I haven't actually raced more than two of you guys at the same time before and 4-player races are much more fun than two/three.

Works for me.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Here's an idea for people to celebrate WEMas.

Get a bunch of classic VG tunes and make them your main playlist. I guess what you guys consider "classic" will vary, but for me it's the NES age and earlier. Even just putting together a playlist of all the greatest gaming hits throughout history would work, tho.

I wish I could pull out my NES for this but it's still at home. I barely have any of my games here for that matter :(

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
In fact, to build on that - how's abouts posting the greatest VGMusic Compilation album evar?

I have a number of tracks in mind that i'll edit in later.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Well, the mini-MKDS tournament was a bust, but meh. If we can get four racers together in the next few days that'd be just as good ^^

In fact, to build on that - how's abouts posting the greatest VGMusic Compilation album evar?

I have a number of tracks in mind that i'll edit in later.

Sounds like a fun idea, although it could get very subjective. That's why for the sake of something like this I'd vote to sticking with mostly (if not all) well-known songs.

I'll dig up some later. Already it's a given that a few choice LoZ, Mario, and Pokemon music pieces should be on a list like this. Others that stick out to me are the main Tetris themes, Doc Mario's theme, the main Kirby theme, and the FF prelude/ending (as in the VERY end song). Sonic deserves to make the cut too but I'm not sure what song you'd put on ("Open Your Heart"? "Live and Learn"? One of the Genesis tunes? Can't decide).

I only have two songs that I feel would deserve to be on that album aside from the classics.

1. Keeping Pace (Paper Mario)
2. Miror B.'s Disco Groove (Pokemon XD)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The SSBM Intro song is pure and utter win.

As is the Donkey Kong Country theme.

The BEST Sonic themes ever (in no real order):

1: Sweet Dream (Sonic 2 Ending music)
2: Twilight Zone
3: Sonic & Knuckles theme
4: Sky Sanctuary Zone
5: Lava Reef Zone/Hidden Palace
6: Open your heart
7: Live and Learn
8: What I'm Made of
9: City Escape
10: I am the Eggman
11: I am (All of Me)
12: All Hail Shadow
13: Never turn back

To pick the best 5 to put on this album, i'd go with:

Sweet Dream
Sky Sanctuary
Open your Heart
Live and Learn
Never turn back

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Best 5 Sonic songs/tunes? Easy.

What I'm Made of
Live and Learn
Ice Cap Zone
Sonic's Theme/It Doesn't Matter (SA2)
Open your heart

Says I. Ice Cap Zone MUST get a place.

And the following FF songs/tunes:

Protecting My Devotion (FF9)
Terra's Theme (FF6)
The Decisive Battle (FF6, I do believe)
You're Not Alone! (FF9)
Searching for Friends (FF6) (Gee, noticing a pattern?)
The Extreme (FF8)
Eyes on Me (FF8)
Melodies of Life (FF9)

...Aye.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Lol... I think we're gonna have to start voting on specific songs soon, unless we want an album with over 100 songs ;)

In the case of FF, I could put together a Greatest Hits album solely of music from that one series (pretty much every one of the games has at least a few songs that are downright amazing/beautiful/memorable) but above all else the FF theme/prelude deserves to be included here. It's by far the most memorable/nostalgic song in the series, not to mention one of the best.

Live and Learn and Open Your Heart for Sonic are both good, but I can't recall either "What I'm Made of" or "Never Turn Back" offhand. Sweet Dreams is also a must as Sonic 2 is considered by most the best game in the series AND that song supremely rocks.

I still haven't had the time to sit down and put actual titles together but I'll edit it into this post later (unless someone else posts after me).

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
What I'm made of is the theme for Heroes (Outside of the meh Sonic Heroes song). Never turn back is the final theme for Shadow, after kicking Devil Doom's ass. All hail Shadow's pretty cool but it only really lasts because of that, Never Turn Back never gets old. ^^

Also, I'd say a 3-disc compilation is pretty fair considering gaming's 20 and bands that have been around longer have had 4+ disc sets for their greatest hits. 3 discs would be about 60 tracks of 4-5 minute songs.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, 60 sounds good to me. We should try to keep the amount of songs that come from a single series down... unless that one series has music that pwnz everything else XD

Here's a question: a lot of bands have done remixes of gaming songs, particularly the Black Mages. Their versions of "Decisive Battle" (FFVI boss music), "J-E-N-O-V-A" (FFVII), "Those Who Fight Further" (FFVII boss battle), and "Force Your Way" (FFVIII boss music) - just to name a few - are better than the original game versions, so would we go with them or stick with the originals?

Okay, time to throw out a few random songs I have on my PC. Many more where these come from, and all of these may not be the best versions of each particular piece:

1. "Katamari on the Rocks ~ Main Theme" (Katamari Damacy)
2. "Scars Left by Time" (Chrono Cross)
3. "To Zanarkand" (FFX)
4. "Silence Before the Storm" (FFX)
5. "Into the Wilderness" (Wild Arms)
6. "Battle vs Lord Blazer" (Wild Arms 2)
7. "Last Battle" (Xenosaga)
8. "Simple and Clean" (Kingdom Hearts)
9. "Beware the Forest Mushrooms" (Super Mario RPG)
10. "Happy Adventure Delightful Adventure" (Super Mario RPG)
11. "Opening Theme" (Super Smash Bros Melee)
12. "Mute City" (Super Smash Bros Melee)
13. "Fountain of Dreams" (SSBM)
14. "Dr. Mario" (SSBM)
15. "Premonition (Flight Theme 3)" (Secret of Mana)
16. "Give Love its Rightful Time" (Secret of Mana)
17. "Angels Fear (Title)" (Secret of Mana)
18. "The Oath" (FFVIII)
19. "The Man with the Machine Gun" (FF VIII: Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec, not the original OST ver.)
20. "Liberi Fatali" (FFVIII)
21. "Don't Be Afraid" (FFVIII)
22. "Character Introductions" (Final Fantasy Tactics)
23. "Final Battle" (Final Fantasy Mystic Quest)
24. "Prelude" (FFIX)
25. "Forgotten Face" (FFIX)
26. "The Legend of the Hero" (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
27. "The Decisive Battle (FFVI)" (The Black Mages)
28. "Hunter's Chance (FFIX)" (The Black Mages)
29. "Those Who Fight Further (FFVII)" (The Black Mages)
30. "Force Your Way (FFVIII)" (The Black Mages)
31. "J-E-N-O-V-A (FFVII)" (The Black Mages)
32. "Forever Rachel (orchestrated)" (FFVI)
33. "VS Gym Leader!" (Pokemon Stadium 2)
34. "Champion Battle" (Pokemon Stadium)
35. "Prime Cup - Battle Theme #1" (Pokemon Stadium 2)
36. "Creid" (Xenogears, Creid)
37. "Light From the Netherworld" (Xenogears)
38. "Small Two Of Pieces, Restored Pieces" (Xenogears)
39. "Into The Sky (Flight)" (Xenogears)

... *coughs*

And to think, I just skimmed through my OSTs (which excludes FFVI, FFVII, Wild Arms Alter Code F, Lunar SSSC and Eternal Blue Complete, Chrono Trigger, and most all the Zelda games) XD Even out of the OSTs I did go through I know I missed quite a few great songs.

Some of these I could remove if need be (I put them on teh list because they stand out to me yet may not be the best). There are others that I'm insistant go into this album, though. I'll just wait and see how many you guys come up with and change my list accordingly.

There's also the issue of versions... I think Terra's theme/Over World/Snowfield and the Opera/Celes' theme from FFVI should definitely be on this, but there are many different variations for each. I'm not sure which is the best. I also can't decide which version of the Wild Arms 2 opening FMV to use: the instrumental ver. or the original Japanese version w/vocals.

"Dancing Mad (Final Battle)", whether you chose the original FFVI version or the Black Mages', is another song that's worthy of being considered "the bestest" but the bloody thing is over 12 minutes long! I won't even bother suggesting FFVI's ending song for that same reason...

Uh-huh. I'm done for now ^^;

I agree with #1, #9 - 14 and #33 - 35. The rest, I've not heard.

Just browsing through my collection... hmm...

Klaymen's Theme - Terry Taylor
Popple and Rookie - Mario & Luigi
Digi-Boy - F-Zero GX
Hippie - EarthBound
Final Battle - EarthBound
Miror B.'s Disco Groove - Pokemon XD
Miror B.'s Latin Rhythm - Pokemon Colosseum
Keeping Pace - Paper Mario
Dr. Crygor's Restroom Rock - WarioWare, Inc.
Battle with Saturos - Golden Sun
King Dedede - Kirby's Dreamland
Rescue Paula - EarthBound
Octoman - F-Zero GX
Magnus Von Grapple Battle - Paper Mario 2
Rival's Theme - Pokemon RBY
Final Battle - Pokemon RBY
Viewtiful World - Viewtiful Joe