• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Wii U Discussion

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Wii U Launch Weekend Post-Mortem:

• First impressions of the hardware is that it's really nice. It all has a premium sheen to it and the Gamepad already feels completely natural to use.
  • However, the fact Nintendo have omitted an ethernet port on a piece of hardware designed for online use is ridiculous.
  • Even more ridiculous is how broken the wireless set up is. Despite having the right SSID, security type and password, the system would refuse to connect to my router. In the end, I had to look up a workaround that involved manually setting the IP assigned to the console and the DNS servers. This should be basic stuff - especially if you won't allow us to just plug the thing into the router itself.
  • Also ridiculous in the age of elastic cloud networking is that Nintendo is relying on what seems to be a cheap server in someone's basement to run their entire online network on. Downloading that first 1GB update takes long enough (longer due to the reliance on wireless over ethernet, too), but it gets worse when the server times out every five minutes. It's the same story with the game updates that are required when first playing them.
  • The system OS appears to be operated manually by tiny elves inside the console. At least, that's the only reason I can come up with for why everything takes so fucking long. It's possibly down to the Wii U CPU being a bit crap (it's so far being unanimously put down as the weakest part of its hardware set up), but it's also likely down to horrid optimisation. Let's hope that Nintendo actually does something about it with an update down the line.
  • No TVii feature outside of America, but we do get an icon for it that just tells us off for clicking it.
  • Overall, the Wii U OS lets down the premium design of the hardware. The interface looks ok (too close to the Wii set up for my liking, but it'll do), but it feels cheap and nasty to run. The waiting times are almost as infuriating as the loading screens in Sonic 2006. Almost.
  • The Wii Transfer thing takes waay longer than it feasibly should, but the animation is adorable. It's a pity that on the Wii U, it's hampered by being run through the Wii components/emulation instead.
  • The inability to use virtual console games on the Wii U side of things is a crime.
  • As is the lack of upscaling for Wii games. I suspect this is because (as is standard) the Wii U actually uses internal Wii hardware for backwards compatibility rather than emulation, but you don't even need a particularly beefy computer at home to emulate the Wii at 720p. The Wii U should have been built to that minimum. It would have been a benefit for both the Wii U and Wii games.
  • The eShop interface is soooo much better than the messy clusterfuck that is the 3DS version. It's a pity there's literally nothing worth buying on it - especially as there's no reason at all why you should ever pay those prices to download a game. £55 for Assassin's Creed III? Fuck off.
  • MiiVerse actually doesn't suck. I'd be almost tempted to claim it as an utter victory for Nintendo in making an online network feature that's better than its competitors. It's a pity, though, that you have to specifically go and find people through Miiverse to send out friend requests. There's no such feature in the actual friends list. A stupid oversight. It will need work as more games come along, though - a massive unsorted list of game hubs is a terribly short-sighted interface design.
  • Playing games on the Gamepad, on the whole, look great. It's confirmed that the Gamepad is actually downscaled to 480p, and the colours are a bit faded out (though not enough to make it ugly - indeed, in some cases, it actually looks better than the awfully bright garish colours on games like NSMB U). That said, it's a small resolution and it's hard to really tell the difference.
  • One major feature that needs to be exploited a lot on the Wii U is using the gamepad and the TV for two people split screen. It's used in Nintendo Land in terms of 'aysmetric play', but there's no reason it wouldn't also function in basic terms of giving player 1 the full gamepad screen and player 2 the TV. I'm hoping this is what Sonic Racing Transformed does, but I don't have it on the Wii U, so I can't say.
  • Nintendo Land actually feels like a full game. It's not as shallow as Wii Sports or Wii Play, and there's plenty enough party game options here to give the Wii U a good initial workout. Some of these games are even worth coming back to as we wait for the 'real' versions to make their way to the console.
  • They better fucking update it, though. I wouldn't mind paying for DLC to get new games in it. Especially if they fixed their oversight of not having any Pokemon levels in it.
  • Zombi U is a great concept game. It's shallow on story - but they make up for it with a pretty good recreation of London (I like how the supermarket has actual ASDA Point of Sale in it) and a canny gameplay twist allowing you to keep playing after dying by just going onto a new survivor and then finding your previous survivor and getting your stuff back. It's a good demonstration of the visual capabilities of the Wii U too - right down to its inadequacies. There's a fair amount of stutter in the opening scene as the CPU struggles to keep up. It seems pretty clear that the CPU is going to be a constant Achilles heel for the system, especially for third party ports.
  • Overall, though, the visual level is about the same as the Xbox 360, with a couple of unique tricks. If we assume the next Xbox and Playstation will be on the level of current PC games, there will be a noticable gap - but it won't be enough to harm the Wii U the same way as it has the Wii. Though, that CPU may make porting down to it a problem as the years go on. Nintendo should probably aim for a relatively short run on the Wii U if they want to still be competitive as the other consoles begin to mature. When this thing hits 4 years old, it's going to really show it.
  • NSMB U is more fun than the DS version and the 3DS Mario Land, but overall it's a pretty basic Mario game. The Miiverse integration is cool, but mostly meaningless. No online multiplayer is a fatal (but typical Nintendo) oversight here.
  • No Scribblenauts in Europe and no Rayman anywhere is a pretty big hit to the launch line up. Let's hope that the third party multiplatform titles start racking up quickly next year, because there is a risk of a post-launch drought otherwise.

Overall, it's a decent launch. There's a game or two in the pile for everyone, the hardware is pretty good and once you get past the frustration of getting it started up, works pretty well - if slow. There really should have been a plan for more software in the next 3 months, though. There should also have been more attention paid to the eShop contents. The lack of a Virtual Console at all is as bad as not integrating your Wii purchases to it. Nintendo needs to avoid the mistakes of the Wii and keep the eShop and system updates coming. They also need to get fucking real with the pricing.

There's none of the hype and excitement of the Wii launch, but that means it's got a shorter distance to fall from. Time will tell if this is set to be another disappointment, but I'm optimistic that there's a good chance the Wii U will bring a mixture of strong multiplatform versions and Nintendo exclusives. I hope I won't be let down again.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Doctor Oak said:
[*]The Wii Transfer thing takes waay longer than it feasibly should, but the animation is adorable.

This. So much this. It's almost worth transferring your Wii data to the Wii U simply see to the Pikmin animation. XD

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
For anyone interested, Nintendo UK has announced that there will be a new Nintendo Direct tomorrow at 2:00 PM GMT focusing on the Wii U. Since this hasn't yet been announced by NoA too I'm assuming that the news will be geared specifically towards the UK/Europe.

And I quote:
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/nintendodirect

On Wednesday 23 January at 14:00 GMT Mr Iwata will take a look at future plans for Wii U in a new Nintendo Direct presentation! Watch Nintendo Direct to find out first about new software and services coming to Wii U!

Edit: I stand corrected. From NoA's Facebook pages:

Want to know what is in store for Wii U? Join tomorrow at 6:00 AM PT to watch a special Wii U focused Nintendo Direct.

I'm starting to get interested now. I hope they talk about the new Wii U Virtual Console. I've been waiting to hear some solid news regarding it for far too long. ;_;

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
America got its list of upcoming Wii U games the other day, while we got bugger all. I'm guessing this is just a dressed up way of giving us the same list.

I would assume it's probably because if they put it down in text form, it'd look a hell of a lot shorter. But I'm expecting a release announcement for Lego City at least. So long as that and Rayman are out before GTA V, I'm happy enough.

Can practically guarantee there will be no sign of any new features for the Wii U (or promised features showing the fuck up) this side of E3.,

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Doctor Oak said:
Can practically guarantee there will be no sign of any new features for the Wii U (or promised features showing the fuck up) this side of E3.,

It specifically says "services" within the UK description so something must be getting a mention. My guess would be something regarding the Nintendo TVii services within the UK/Europe.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
So, mention, again of Nintendo TVii for Europe. And still nothing doing. Not at all surprised. Likewise, not surprised that they're still dragging their heels over web access to Miiverse - despite the fact that it's pretty fuckin' clear from the Youtube embeds that it's just a normal web app on the Wii U anyway.

The Virtual Console announcement was basically just noise. People buying the games again at their overpriced valuation get a better deal than people that got ripped off the first time buying it on the Wii - because they have to pay again? What. Then there's the bullshit about having to prepare each game. They're ROMS in pre-packaged emulators. What could possibly need prepared that much that you have to go through this ridiculously slow process of putting them on the system again. Given that the majority of the titles are their own, re-licensing them shouldn't be that bloody hard.

Furthermore, since there's now a complete overlap in VC titles between the Wii, Wii U and 3DS - and since the 3DS can definitely be updated to tie into your Nintendo Network account - why the hell are these things still not tied to your account? When it comes to this 30p deal thing going on for the next few months (and I don't get that either - what, do you pay now to play when the service bothers to launch in the spring?), I already own the majority of the content on my 3DS. Why am I paying twice for the same thing?

Always got to fuck it up somehow, Nintendo. Always.

As far as the games announced go, here are my thoughts in pretty much the order (I remember) they came up in:

• Monster Hunter: Meh.
  • Lego City Stories: YEAAAH. 28th March is very respectable.
  • Game & Wario: Please.
  • Wii Fit U: Oh God, please no.
  • The Wonderful 101: This game is looking so good.
  • Bayonetta 2: I really need to play the first properly, but I'm still looking forward to this.
  • Smash Bros.: Don't expect to actually play this before 2015. E3 will be interesting, though.
  • Mario Games seem to get incrementally worse and worse, so I just can't care about further terrible versions of these two franchises. Will probably be really stupid and buy them both.
  • Yoshi's Epic Yarn. This is a bit on the nose in terms of the fact Epic Yarn was totally not a Kirby game before Miyamoto told them to make it one (like Starfox Adventures). In both cases it really worked out, but this is a pretty shallow excuse for a sequel. Will probably be a fairly good game, but I'd be interested to see a concept for further Nintendo characters being 'Yarnized'.
  • New Wii U Zelda: So it'll be an open world multiplayer game? Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure. If this game ends up being even just a little bit off the standard Zelda formula I would be massively surprised.
  • Windwaker Remake: FUCK YEAH!!!1!!!ONE!!.

The game barely even exists yet and already the Windwaker remake looks like it's going to be the most gorgeous game on the system ever - just as the original was for the Gamecube. I really hope they put in the 2 cut dungeons and excise the awful Triforce quest as part of their promise of improving the gameplay. The game is literally almost completely perfect... except for that awful quest.

A little disappointed that a remake is the most exciting thing coming to Nintendo's console for some time... but it probably doesn't matter what competition a WW remake had, I'd still blow my load over it's release.

Other mentions of the Fire Emblem cross over (which, as is now the standard, appears to be with a game no-one's ever heard of before) and the new Xenoblade game (which from the music, atmosphere and very runny/shooty/actiony/adventurey stuff seems to basically be Mass Effect, taken back to Japan and beaten with sticks and cramed with JRPG cliches, natty designs and impenetrable user interfaces until it turns into one) are cool, I guess. I don't think my chances of being interested or playing either is very high. Especially since I have no idea what to make of the FE crossover (and am not a huge fan of the series to begin with) and Xenoblade on the Wii was pretty bad (though at least this one can look not shit!).

Ultimately, I hope this Nintendo Direct was about getting these (pretty obvious) announcements out of the way for E3 so we can get something with more impact there. Nintendo has more franchises than Mario, Zelda and Pokemon - and they're all just sitting around waiting for someone to get them onto the Wii U in some fashion.

Also, it really wouldn't hurt to have something else on the 3DS other than Pokemon X/Y within the next 12 months...

Doctor Oak said:
Smash Bros.: Don't expect to actually play this before 2015. E3 will be interesting, though.
I disagree. Previous Smash Bros. games have only had up to 2-and-a-half year development cycles. Work started on SSB4 back in March 2012, so 2014 seems like a reasonable release time. Perhaps for Christmas?

Doctor Oak said:
Mario Games seem to get incrementally worse and worse, so I just can't care about further terrible versions of these two franchises. Will probably be really stupid and buy them both.
If you're talking about 3D Mario, then I'm quite surprised. The Galaxy games were the two most critically acclaimed Mario games of all time, and personally I thought they were incredible. Although I was disappointed at the more linear gameplay, I though Nintendo made up for it through sheer variety and innovation.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Galaxy 2 was a shallow revisit to the original Galaxy that contributed nothing new in terms of gameplay concepts. 3D Land is one of the most boring 'action' games I've ever played and all the NSMB games are dire.

The series seems to chug along with the reliance on nostalgia for either the original games or Mario 64. Neither of which I played originally and have zero nostalgia for in the first place. Looking back on those games without rose tinted spectacles isn't exactly terribly kind to them either.

In form and function, they're not awful games - because Nintendo, in general, do not make awful games. But in the context of the high quality of titles like Zelda or Pokemon, the Mario series is on a steep decline. Hashing out half a dozen charmless games with his face on them every year isn't exactly a way to improve that.

I actually think that its the Zelda games that are on the decline.
The DS handheld ones are bad, Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess were meh.
The announced nonlinearity and potential multiplayer might make the series more interesting again.
Meanwhile 3DLand shows us how 3D Marios should play like and New Mario Bros2 brings use some really solid platforming.

Didnt see the conference because I was working on Uni assignments but what I read about it afterwards was good. Also checked videos for the games that interested me.
-The Monolith JRPG looks great. Multiplayer with Mecha riding in a huge open world is just what I want. The Monsters are also huge which is always cool.
-Monster Hunter is a day1 buy anyways.
-Bayonetta2 is guaranteed to be good.
-Still dont know about Wonderful01. It looks crazy but I have no clue what it plays like in general. Might have to trust Kamiya on that one.
-Anything with Wario is good.
-Yoshis Epic Yarn doesnt look interesting at all, Kirbys epic yarn was boring and I'm not a fan of the little big planet like visuals. At least it will play better than little big planet. Imo interesting to actually make the yarn thing a franchise and use different Nintendo protags every time. Too bad that I dont like the concept of it.
-Wind Waker remake doesnt really interest me. If I want to play my Windwalker in full HD I pop it into my PC and run it upscaled. Might actually run better than the final WiiU product. Generally not too much into remakes of games that I already own. Nice for those that never got to play it though.
-Dragon Quest X looking mighty fine. Still dont know how the MMO elements will play out.
-The Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem crossover sounds interesting. Not my most favorite franchises but still nice to see.
Also, Shin Megami Tensei is a way bigger deal than Fire Emblem ever was. Its definitely not a game no one ever heard of.
-Lego: nobody cares about shovelware.

Incredible what Nintendo arranged for this. Thats more than what you see at E3s or your typical TGS. Most likely because the WiiU isnt selling as well as expected.
Sony should take notes to save the Vita.
Nintendo basically has Japan on lockdown right now. All the major IPs except for maybe Final Fantasy on their side. Nintendo is most likely aiming for a huge install base to cripple the future success of the PS4/xboxwhatever. It looks like it will work out with those exclusives.

Doctor Oak said:
3D Land is one of the most boring 'action' games I've ever played and all the NSMB games are dire.
I must agree with you there. 3D Land was pretty bland. The levels were completely uninspired and way too short. I understand that Nintendo was trying to make it 'pick-up-and-play', but it just ended up making a 3D version of the New Super Mario Bros, which are equally plain and are having less effort put in to them with each consecutive release.
I must admit, NSMBW's multiplayer was quite fun, but then I couldn't do it over the internet, so I usually had to slog through it in singleplayer.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Doctor Oak said:
Galaxy 2 was a shallow revisit to the original Galaxy that contributed nothing new in terms of gameplay concepts.

Hmm, funny that. When comparing Galaxy 1 & 2 I find Galaxy 2 to be the better game. Galaxy 1 definitely wowed me more initially due to its funky gravity mechanics, but Galaxy 2 kept me engaged. The level designs featured in the sequel are overall better and the gameplay feels much more refined. The 2nd player mode in Galaxy 2 also feels a lot more like a proper role verses a last minute add-on; it's surprisingly fun for a game that's still essentially a single player game. All in all, Galaxy 2 felt like a proper sequel to me. It keeps the core gameplay from the original intact but offers enough advancements to feel fresh, not unlike many other direct sequels.

But getting back onto the Wii U topic, I found that this latest Nintendo Direct started off boring but turned out to be great. It's a tad annoying that Nintendo isn't pushing to have the Wii U Virtual Console up sooner when they have no plans to release any 1st party games until March but I'm still happy that it's coming this side of 2013. Hearing that the games will be receiving Miiverse support, which I hadn't expected, is pretty nifty too. I just hope that ALL previously existing Wii VC games make it onto the new one at some point, preferably sooner than later. :/

I'm definitely looking forward to being able to create private communities on Miiverse. Even with its flaws I already quite like the current Miiverse service. Any refinements to it are simply a bonus. ^^

As far as the games went, I'm excited for a good many of 'em but E3 will truly sell me. Aside from the games that we've known about for ages and Wind Waker HD, I require moar info on the rest plzkthx. Above all else it'll be nice to finally see what they've been doing with the new Smash Bros. game as apparently both versions (Wii U and 3DS) will be making an appearance at E3.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Just a quick note that may interest a few of you: Ubisoft has finally officially confirmed that Watch Dogs will be coming to Wii U. No further information regarding a potential release date has been noted but hopefully it'll release on Wii U at the same time that it does on everything else.

Yay for third party games!

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
This is nice, but it's also worth noting that the same press release also confirmed a PC release alongside the PS4 and Wii U releases (and, obviously, the new Xbox as well).

Probably safe to say that the better version is going to be leaning more towards the PC/PS4/NextBox area than the Wii U - though it will be interesting to see if they put the Gamepad to good use.

Given that the PS4 almost certainly won't be out here this year, I'll either get the game on the PC or NextBox - depending on what we see from Microsoft at E3 and if -it- manages to not fuck us over with a Europe tax.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
https://miiverse.nintendo.net

They've finally put up the website extension for Miiverse. Only Wii U owners with a Nintendo Network account can login but considering how Miiverse functions I prefer it that way.

Note that this is a beta and, from what I can tell, you can't yet create new posts directly on the website. You can only read/like/comment on stuff.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
More bad news for Nintendo as ASDA, the second largest supermarket chain in the UK (and owned by Walmart - though the policy is unlikely to be a reflection on the parent company) drops the Wii U hardware and games from its shops following massive price gouges to get rid of stock.

Nintendo's trying to revitalise the system with software (though they're months late to that party), but if you can't actually buy the hardware (and the supermarkets make up for a laaarge amount of hardware sales in the UK because they're able to offer them cheaper than almost anywhere but online), the likes of Pikmin or even Mario 3D Land won't matter.

It is increasingly becoming obvious that they need to address the hardware issue as much as the software one. If the system does not receive a price cut for the end of the year, it may as well just cease production instead.

i0zThUb6h24Dc.gif

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
To be honest, I don't think I ever saw the Wii U or any of its games in the few Asda stores near me, one of which is a pretty big store, which says something about how many stores /actually/ were stocking the thing in the first place. Not to downplay this news because it is another huge blow to Nintendo, but considering they weren't really stocking it in the first place the reaction to the story kinda surprises me because it isn't as though they've been stocking it throughout all their stores to begin with.

Really, Nintendo have pretty much screwed themselves over by putting everything out at the same time, but it's too late to change that now and I'd honestly be surprised if we see them actually do anything before the last couple of months of the year, especially when X/Y will be making them so much money.

A price-cut for Christmas and/or some nice bundles would help it out, but honestly people only expect this price-cut because of them doing it with the 3DS, the Wii U is decently priced as is I think. Guess we'll see what they do.