• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Wii Online Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Wii friend codes (as well as D/P) have been added to your profiles, so start filling 'em up.

There aren't any online games available yet, but in the run-up to their release (starting with Battle Revolution) you may use this thread to confirm exchanges of friend codes or any other thoughts on the Wii online system.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Posts using the Wii browser. And a pain in the arse it is too, WTF, Predictive fucking Text. »_»

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Since I haven't read up much about it (nor know how online browsers work for the other console/hand helds), when you're using the browser is the keyboard always present, or can it be minimized?

And how well would you say the Wii browser compares to using a PC browser (ie. typing, mouse abilities and all)? Something tells me I won't be using it much - my computer is set up a few feet away from my TV - but it's a nice addition to have.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The keyboard only appears when you click on an entry field like the Quick Reply box or whatever. Then you have to sit and type it in the way you do to enter your name/Friend numbers etc in the other parts of the Wii.

It's really a pain to use, overall. Everything is SO small that you have to zoom in to see anything, but then you're pulling the view all over the place just to read what's there.

It is only the beta, of course, and hopefully things will work better when it's released fully in March but right now, I wouldn't reccomend using it at all.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Heh, its pretty fast though. It can get from page to page about as fast as my laptop. But when it comes down to it the computer wins. I'm typing this using Wii, just for the fun of it. ^^ Finally got the internet working after getting back from Florida on Wednesday. Had to move around some wires before we left so we didn't get any leechers >> Forgot where they went by the time I got back...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I don`t care how annoying writing like this with the Wiimote is, or how tiny everything is on this browser. I`m just happy to FINAL-FREAKLY have my Wii! =]

And the peasants rejoiced.

EDIT: Sem, put your Wii number in your profile :p And everyone send me their Miis!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
http://wii.ign.com/articles/753/753105p1.html

Sounds fairly nifty, especially if you're someone who has a bigger and better TV than your monitor. I still haven't had the chance to mess with this myself, but if it means that I'll be able to watch my downloaded Pokemon vids on my TV with no muss and/or fuss, I'm all for it ^_^

Dr. Oak, what you said about Nintendo's lack of progress in online gaming made me worried that it may not stick around in the video gaming business much longer. What if Nintendo will start losing profits because of the way they did online gaming is too frivolous to use? What if Nintendo goes bankrupt all together? I just can't stand to see that happen!! *I start crying hysterically*

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Nintendo survived the last generation just fine and it completely ignored the online sector (and for about half the period that it did so, was right to in my opinion).

Even if they COMPLETELY screw up how they handle the DS and Wii Online capabilities over the next 5 years though, Nintendo wont be going anywhere. They still make more net profit than either Sony or Microsoft do, as they actually make a profit on every system they sell - while the other two sit on losses.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Posting for the sake of posting xp

Last bit of news for the moment is the release of Wii's News Channel tomorrow. The News Channel, which will use the international resources of the Associated Press, sounds like it'll have a similar user-friendly feel as the Weather Channel, such as giving you the ability to spin a virtual globe and navigate with the Wiimote. Stories will be listed under headings including Business, Sports, Arts/Entertainment, Technology and Science/Health, but in the global view can be grouped by region instead of category. Icons will prompt you on which reports you've already read, which are text-only, and which have photos, and, to make things even more accessible, you'll be able to change the text size to suit your liking. These are the sorts of things WiiConnect24 was made for ^^

Quoting myself always feels wrong... But yar. Not sure if this is a world wide release or just NA, but everyone look for it tomorrow morning.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hmm... Figure I'll try to get a discussion going here about Mario Strikers, since Alex already owns it and I plan to buy it in the near future (as does Sem).

Any other UKers already have the game who'd be up to WiFi-ing? Other than that, any North Americans planning to get it and get on the WFC? I have no idea if I'll be any good at the game, but it should be fun having other humans players to play against.

I plan on getting Mario Strikers sometime soon. I finally got a wii and have it up and running on the internet. Also in case you haven't heard the latest firmware update allows the Wii to recognize USB keyboards. (unsure if it works for the internet channel though). I honestly wish they'd come out with a version of Wii Sports thats online. I can't wait until Smash Bros. Brawl though you'll be sure to see me online with that game.

I plan on getting Mario Strikers sometime soon. I finally got a wii and have it up and running on the internet. Also in case you haven't heard the latest firmware update allows the Wii to recognize USB keyboards. (unsure if it works for the internet channel though). I honestly wish they'd come out with a version of Wii Sports thats online. I can't wait until Smash Bros. Brawl though you'll be sure to see me online with that game.

Mario Strikers is good online, however you've got to be REALLY good...I lost my first 5 matches right when I got my Wii online.

PBR online is great though. Most people just put all their ubers into one Battle Pass and dominate the internet. People like...Me. Actually, my PBR team isn't all that many Ubers. Look in my signature, you'll see my team.

The USB keyboard works on the internet channel. However, I have not got the internet channel since they updated the internet channel so you need 500 points, which I really cannot be bothered to get.

Lastly, how do you find your Nintendo Wii Friend code? Could someone give me directions?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
  • At the channel select screen, go to your Wii Message Board (bottom right icon)
  • Click the "Create Message" icon on the left
  • Then, select your address book. You'll see your console Wii number displayed on the front page

And there you have it. You're not the first person to ask this, and I doubt you'll be the last, so no worries.

I've got my Wii code. Thanks, Linkachu.

Argh, a few days ago I bought LoZ:OoT off the Wii shop channel, but I don't have a 'cube controller or a classic controller. Now I have to buy a cube controller off my mate for about

Status
Not open for further replies.