• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Wifi Connection Hotspots

Hey folks.
Just wondering if anyone knows of a great place to link a DS to Wifi. For some reason my DS wont connect with AT&T Uvers at my house. The first Wifi event for Black and White is out right now and still cant get online to get it?

Since we're on the internet, with a population of...pretty much everyone in the world, you might want to inform us where you're from specifically. With any luck, any user who is in the same area as you can tell you some good Wi-Fi hotspots.

There are places with free Wi-Fi, like McDonalds, Taco Bell, Hastings, and various other places. But defs McD's and Taco Bell, free wifi, and then you can eat to celebrate!

Starbucks and other coffee shops usually have Wifi for people to use to work while they drink their beverage. You can then get hyped on coffee to celebrate. ;)

Ive tried Starbucks and MCDonalds. They both wouldn't let me connect my DS to the wifi. Ill try Taco Bell when I get the chance.

I'm having similiar trouble with my DS Wifi at my house. My wifi works for my Xbox360, wii, psp, but NOT my DS. -_- I live in St. Augustine Florida, so what places would you suggest?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
BeginwiththeEnd said:
I'm having similiar trouble with my DS Wifi at my house. My wifi works for my Xbox360, wii, psp, but NOT my DS. -_- I live in St. Augustine Florida, so what places would you suggest?

I don't know much about wireless connections, but could it be a support issue? I remember reading that the DS doesn't support WPA wireless, while the consoles and the 3DS do. Maybe that's why your DS won't connect to your home network.

Linkachu said:
I don't know much about wireless connections, but could it be a support issue? I remember reading that the DS doesn't support WPA wireless, while the consoles and the 3DS do. Maybe that's why your DS won't connect to your home network.

That is correct. WPA Wifi connections can't be accessed by the DS and DS Lite. DSi+ can. That's probably why. I don't think where you live would affect your ability to connect (outside of bad internet altogether) anyway.

Gin180 said:
So your saying is that I need to get the DSI to connect to wifi to get the online events.

Depends on the encryption your Wifi has. My Wifi is WEP (not as secure), so my DS Lite can connect to it fine.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
You can usually turn down the security on your router to WEP or similar, but if you do, make sure to turn it straight back up again; WEP is considerably less secure.