• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Why is the Pokemon anime getting unpopular?

croagunk isn't as funny as max when ear tugging.... it can't give comments XD but i can't help but wonder what his first pokemon would be when he finally grew up... i figured for sure in that ralts episode that he'd catch that ralts (since we learned in the third movie, the one with entei, that you could have pokemon no matter what age you were, just can't be an official trainer) but sadly, the epi ended with max poke-less...

Agreed... Seeing as how Max made friends with Ralts, and a Shuppet and Poochyena if memory serves correct, I'm kinda sad that he left the series without a Pokémon...

Also agreed that Max > Croagunk, or at least in the ear-tugging department. XD That was funny when Misty did it, it was funny when Max did, and now that Croagunk does... it's not cool anymore. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never understood why anyone other than Misty had to pull Brock off the ladies. I'm not saying I thought she was in love with him (Ash+Misty=FTW, Tracey+Misty=WTF?), but that she seemed the kind of person who would get so fed up with the running gag that she'd do something about it. Max was definitely annoyed with it, but I never understood why. Croagunk just hits him in the kidneys with deadly poison for no discernible reason.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Also agreed that Max > Croagunk, or at least in the ear-tugging department. XD That was funny when Misty did it, it was funny when Max did, and now that Croagunk does... it's not cool anymore. :(

I'll be the first to say I 100% disagree with that statement xD

The amount Croagunk already loves Brock is incredibly amusing, especially since it creeps a lot of characters out. As a 'Max replacement', I'll gladly take Croagunk, because it's actually a Pokemon who can battle... and Max was, well, Max.

Anyways, haven't been following this thread, but I still probably disagree with most of it, lol. *Shrugs* I stand by my earlier comments, and I'm actually enjoying the dubbed version of D/P a fair bit (enough to watch both it and the Japanese releases). In the end, Japanese or dubbed, D/P is still more entertaining than Johto Journey's ever was, and that's good enough for me.

As awesome as bringing Misty back would be, they wouldn't do that... Why? Because they always have to have the series' female character travel with Ash for stupid shipping reasons, most likely. RGBY didn't HAVE a main female, and Kris didn't come until Crystal, obviously, so that's why they kept Misty around... I didn't mind May so much, but I'd have Misty over Dawn ANY day.

Personally I think the shift in the "alpha female" is one of the reasons the anime's less popular...

I'll be the first to say I 100% disagree with that statement xD

The amount Croagunk already loves Brock is incredibly amusing, especially since it creeps a lot of characters out. As a 'Max replacement', I'll gladly take Croagunk, because it's actually a Pokemon who can battle... and Max was, well, Max.

Anyways, haven't been following this thread, but I still probably disagree with most of it, lol. *Shrugs* I stand by my earlier comments, and I'm actually enjoying the dubbed version of D/P a fair bit (enough to watch both it and the Japanese releases). In the end, Japanese or dubbed, D/P is still more entertaining than Johto Journey's ever was, and that's good enough for me.

I'd have to agree, the only thing I'm sort of unhappy about is how much time it's taking to get from one game town to another for contests or gym battles. Which brings up another point, Johto was rather bland because of the boring filler, contests take up some space and help in making it easier to space out time wise. Johto did not have contest and therefore was forced to release too much filler.

As for the dumbing down, the show has always been like this, yes even Kanto. The dubbing has changed, mostly due to 4kids changes of dubbing in the mid Johto saga. PUSA has even taken up on their dubbing practices. The D/P season is just as good as Kanto was, the filler is actually enjoyable, no one episode gym battles, A rival that actually battles on screen, and a pacing that isn't all goofed up.